• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Z4 compact will probably be like 5 inches by next year which will probably be my absolute max size. And it would have to be purchased unlocked. And by the time I can get it in the US unlocked the Z5c will be out.
knowing sony I can't argue this

And that would be one small tablet lol.
big phone small tablet....the thing can't catch a break.

pyro knows.
damn right. Though every year is the same in the android space, it's getting predictable.

Hey guys,

I have some questions about a phone upgrade.

I don't really take photos with my phone very often, so that isn't particularly important to me. I expect battery to last for 10-12 hours. I'm currently using a Nexus S, which gets pretty shitty battery performance, but usually lasts me through the day (less than an hour SoT, around 10 hours on battery total).

I'm looking for something fairly new which has a stock Android or near-stock experience. I also want something that has decent developer support, as Cyanogenmod is nice once it stops receiving official support. I was considering the Nexus 6, but I tried the iPhone 6+ in person and it's just too big.

From my research it seems that the Moto X and OnePlus One are my only options?
The Moto X looks nice, but MotoMaker is not offered in Canada, and the phone is exclusive to Telus for now (in 16GB memory maximum), so I would need to ship to a USA address and pick it up. The Moto Maxx isn't going to be sold in Canada either, and I'm not a huge fan of the look of it anyways. I'm also reluctant to go with the OnePlus One due to what I've heard about their customer service. The only other phone I've looked at was the HTC One M8. I saw this in-person and it looked really slick, but I'm hesitant because it has their Sense skin.

What phones should I be looking at?

So I've had my note 4 (T-Mobile) for couple weeks now, and I'm loving it so far.

battery life is incredible. I manage to get a full days use out of it.
I use the S-pen more than i thought i would.
the camera is the best I've used on any smartphone I've ever had
Touchwiz can be a bit iffy at times but nothing to serious to worry about.

Part of me wants to root it but I'm trying to be patient for Android L to be released.

Anyone here root their note 4?

Hey guys,

I don't really take photos with my phone very often, so that isn't particularly important to me. I expect battery to last for 10-12 hours. I'm currently using a Nexus S, which gets pretty shitty battery performance, but usually lasts me through the day (less than an hour SoT, around 10 hours on battery total).

I'm looking for something fairly new which has a stock Android or near-stock experience. I also want something that has decent developer support, as Cyanogenmod is nice once it stops receiving official support. I was considering the Nexus 6, but I tried the iPhone 6+ in person and it's just too big.

The Moto X looks nice, but MotoMaker is not offered in Canada, and the phone is exclusive to Telus for now (in 16GB memory maximum), so I would need to ship to a USA address and pick it up. The Moto Maxx isn't going to be sold in Canada either, and I'm not a huge fan of the look of it anyways. I'm also reluctant to go with the OnePlus One due to what I've heard about their customer service. The only other phone I've looked at was the HTC One M8. I saw this in-person and it looked really slick, but I'm hesitant because it has their Sense skin.

Sounds like you already know what you want. I'd just buy an x off eBay from a seller that will ship it to your door. I would say nexus 5 but battery life isnt super hot on that phone.

NotBacon

bacon, the n6 is middle of the road. hardware, software. not physically though it's still titanic.

Keep fucking that "update" chicken though. Google had a GREAT chance to make a killer device with hardware/software integration. They didn't, so much that their product manager bailed.

If we want to talk about "maybe in the next update" then maybe in the next update touchwiz will be great, but we're not.

They someone how fucked up performance with encryption...even though they built the code themselves. Google continues to be garbage on first launch for software and hardware. Nexus, Glass, Wear, even Inbox which is supposed to be their primary effort.

The n6 will be great in three months. When it's outdated and people don't care about it.

Oh yeah the Nexus 6 isn't some perfect phone. It definitely has flaws, every phone does. It's still tied for the best phone out there though with the Note 4 (I'm not counting sub-phablet pleb phones), so it's still really damn good.
It really doesn't deserve this anti-google "shitphone" circlejerk FUD.

And what's this update chicken? The phone isn't even out yet, and Google directly acknowledged the performance issues and said they were working on it.....................
... so I'm just going to go out on a limb here and guess there will be a couple updates soon to smooth things out.

Not sure where the chicken comes in here...

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Don't worry, guys. Google will push out an update that will fix the battery, screen, camera, performance. How could you not want this phone? You buy it today and six months later, it might just maybe be slightly better. Why wouldn't you pay $650 today for a chance at that?

thuway

Damn it's like war in this thread. I cancelled my Nexus 6 preorder btw. Might have been for the best, will wait to see how the ole Googy goes about updating this thing.

NotBacon

Don't worry, guys. Google will push out an update that will fix the battery, screen, camera, performance. How could you not want this phone? You buy it today and six months later, it might just maybe be slightly better. Why wouldn't you pay $650 today for a chance at that?

Yeah there's like literally no reason to get a Nexus 6

Edit: Every single reviewer who reviewed it was probably high or something

But but the battery life will easily last a whole day.. *rolleyes*

It takes good picture seriously guys..seriously mediocrity is good enough guys..

Something something website say screen is great..don't believe anandtech..

Um um.."BRING ON THE BUG-FIXING UPDATES BABY"

NotBacon

*spews a bunch of bullshit*
*I call him out on his bullshit*

Probably a good time to defend the bullshit right? Right?...

Nope

*literally regurgitates the same bullshit*

Whatever makes you feel good I guess...

HGStormy

Banned
How is call quality/signal strength on the Note 4? What about audio quality with headphones?

And how the hell do I get one unlocked in the US?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yeah there's like literally no reason to get a Nexus 6

Edit: Every single reviewer who reviewed it was probably high or something
To be honest, I'm pretty excited for people to get their hands on the phone. I'd like some real impressions from people on here. But don't discount the doubts people have over the N6. It's not the show stopper we hoped for. I think this device was made for carriers. I post the hate because I love. If the phone ends up being a beast, I'm still in.

On another note, regarding my Nexus 9, there's a lot I love about it, like the 4:3 I've always clamored for. But coming from my N10, damn. N9 battery and ram are not an improvement. Chrome refreshes a lot. Screen on time is same, maybe less, than N10. I might return this disappointment.

NotBacon

Apparently shinshoryuken thinks this is the high school lunch room. Yeah I don't have time for people who can't even formulate a response when they get called out. Blocked.

NotBacon

To be honest, I'm pretty excited for people to get their hands on the phone. I'd like some real impressions from people on here. But don't discount the doubts people have over the N6. It's not the show stopper we hoped for. I think this device was made for carriers. I post the hate because I love. If the phone ends up being a beast, I'm still in.

Sometimes I think all hope is lost in here, then I read posts like these. Mad props dude, and thanks for not outright trolling. I'll make sure to post my (biased) impressions the moment mine arrives :p

Husker86

The hate the N6 is getting is unbelievable honestly. Not even sure whats happening in this thread anymore.

Not that I've been vocal about my dislike of the N6, but it's not that hard to understand.

From the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 I felt like I was on a clear, yearly upgrade path with Android. Then Google announces the Nexus 6.

It's almost twice the cost of the previous two Nexus devices, and the screen is bigger than almost any other phone that has ever been released.

I'm not saying I don't understand why they did it; sucking the carrier's tits is pretty much required to be successful in selling hardware. It just sucks because it has knocked me off what I thought would be a reliable upgrade path with Android.

It's a selfish position to take, I mean, what do my plans matter in the grand scheme of things? But that doesn't make it suck any less for me.

Luckily the Nexus 5 is still a damn good phone, especially with 5.0.

RedFyn

It's still tied for the best phone out there though with the Note 4 (I'm not counting sub-phablet pleb phones), so it's still really damn good.
On one hand I can't get behind this because everything I've seen about the nexus 6 has shown it to be (performance wise) inferior (screen, battery, camera etc) which makes it impossible for me to say it's tied. But on the other hand the nexus 6 bests it in many other aspects (speakers, no physical button, stock android, etc..) I can't really say that they've tied because of this though.

It's interesting and definitely reaffirms to me that we shouldn't be comparing devices the way we are. I don't think reviews accurately represent the qol aspect of each phone (all phones not just note and nexus). We all use our phones in different ways so how can one accurately judge one phone over another without complete bias. I'm not saying it's all done intentionally or even consciously but everything anyone says comes with bias. There are many posts on here spewing hate at the nexus 6. Why? Because it doesn't fit their qol necessities. They have a bias toward certain things placing some aspects of a phone over other aspects that someone else considers of the utmost importance. That's ok, everyone likes different things, everyone is unique. I like Google's new slogan; be together, not the same. It embodies the very aspect of everyone's individuality.

I just wish everyone could discuss things in a mature civilized manner but unfortunately that doesn't always happen. The over exaggeration and trolling can be extremely frustrating because of the lack of conversation it brings.

Who else been crapping and shilling in this tread like no tomorrow..

Why bother naming him, he ain't even on my level...I'll let Keh,faceless and AJ handle him...
You keep proving that every post you make.

tzare

Well, luckily we all have that choice with Android. You just have to decide on what compromises you can put up with. And yeah, the One Plus is too big for its display size. That's why I don't want Sony and HTC phones. The screen to bezel ratios are not good enough.

Also, it's funny to me how my limit keeps changing every time I play with a bigger phone. First it was 4.3", then 4.7", 5", etc.
And since note4 my lower limit is set to 5.5 , but unless bezels shrink, i doubt i can go further than note's screen size. LG does a good job there. I think nexus6 is too big not only because of screen,but because motorola has not done a great job, it is too bulky, and i wonder why it does not carry a bigger battery, since it could for sure. Btw i have the same opinion for iphone 6&6+, too tall, and while slim which isn't a big deal, it is not justified. At least sony phones, that have quite big bezels, are waterproof.

Groof

Project Volta is a dud. My nexus 4's battery is upgraded to first class fighter jet instead of speed boating its way to death

3phemeral

These Nexus 7 2012 Lollipop reviews are not giving me any comfort that Lollipop will be any more of a boon on my first gen Moto X. Worse still, the performance benefits I touted to my mom are going to blow up in my face when she finally "upgrades."

Why, Google? :(

Benedict

These Nexus 7 2012 Lollipop reviews are not giving me any comfort that Lollipop will be any more of a boon on my first gen Moto X. Worse still, the performance benefits I touted to my mom are going to blow up in my face when she finally "upgrades."

Why, Google? :(

What reviews?
I have/had hope that it would breath new life in my N7 2012.
But maybe I should start looking for a replacement instead, in time for christmas.

zbeeb

Loaded lollipop onto my Nexus 4. I'd been using a HTC One (M7) recently so I'd forgotten just how bad the N4 battery life is...

Worth it for that sweet lollipop goodness though, everything is so fluid!

Toki767

I installed Lollipop on a 2012 Nexus 7. It's...smooth...at times. Laggy at others. Basically not really better or worse than it was on Kit Kat.

Groof

Loaded lollipop onto my Nexus 4. I'd been using a HTC One (M7) recently so I'd forgotten just how bad the N4 battery life is...

Worth it for that sweet lollipop goodness though, everything is so fluid!
Lollipop made it even worse. I'm afraid to even use it now.

Quasar

so my Netflix on lollipop issue is solved. Turns out Netflix has started hard coding googles DNS into the app. Which gets in the way of DNS proxies. So downgrading to version 3.7.1 solved the issue. Annoying.

NEO0MJ

So I was considering upgrading from my two and a half year old HTC One X to a Sony Z 3. Is there anything I should know about it and do you guys have any other suggestions? Personally I would like something with a smaller screen but most are low spec in comparison.

Groof

So I was considering upgrading from my two and a half year old HTC One X to a Sony Z 3. Is there anything I should know about it and do you guys have any other suggestions? Personally I would like something with a smaller screen but most are low spec in comparison.
If you want something smaller, check out the Z3 compact. It's basically the same specs as the regular Z3 but with a smaller screen.

DarkFlow

Banned
Well this is curious. I have used one of those DNS proxying services to get around region locks for apps such as Netflix.

It seems with 5.0 that no longer works. Not sure if this is a coincidence or what. Dont think its a configure issue as my non android clients still work fine with the same configurations. and rolling back to an older version of android Netflix does seem to work either.
Still works on my N7 with Adfreetime. Im having timeout issues but that has more to do with me having to block my Chromecast DNS on my router I think.

tzare

To be fair the only thing that needs fixing would be performance issues, that seem related to encryption, and improve battery life to match its rivals, because ain't bad. Just not great.
Afraid to call me out by my screen name?

If you're not trolling:

- Note 4 = premium hardware + subpar software
- Nexus 6 = good hardware + good software
- There are MANY others with similar opinions to mine and value the best software experience.
- Moto X turned out to be great just like I said. Ask anyone who has one. Oh wait I have one, and it's great.
- Lollipop has improved battery life for the majority of updaters.
- Nexus 6 Lollipop isn't in it's final form, it's not even in consumer hands yet.
- There is pretty much a consensus that TouchWiz IS crap. Look around you.

So you just spewed a bunch of nonsense and called me out on going full retard. Nice. Gtfo.
Let's try to be serious,, while tw ain't the best ui, and needs a deep rethinking, it isn't crap. In fact adds a lot of functionality that nexus 6, being a phablet clearly misses. It has some drawbacks that vary depending on the device and soc, low end phones really suffer. High end not so much. It also has some stutter that stock android doesn't have, normal if you consider that stock is really barebones, and that is why people use exposed or other launchers, but that is where the issues end. Then there is the visual presentation, but that is subjective. And installing GEL helps.
And while Google seems to improve android as an os, it seems to be behind oems when done tuning it for its Nexus devices. I own a nexus 5 and with its battery should last more, there are other phones there that last the same with smaller batteries or last way more with the same or similar, my wife's s4+ with same soc and only 300mAh more is way more efficient for example. So sub par software ain't the best description. Sure, my nexus5 running lollipop is amazing to use and very cohesive looking. But camera could be better, battery life too as well as some basics like app drawer folders or removing Google search bar which is useless considering you can trigger search by saying ok Google on any screen.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hey guys,

Nexus 5. Average (not terrible) battery life, definitely enough for your needs. Software-wise you can't get a better phone, and it's still powerful enough to provide a very smooth experience. It's better than ever now that Lollipop has been released, it doesn't feel old or outdated at all.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Nexus 5. Average (not terrible) battery life, definitely enough for your needs. Software-wise you can't get a better phone, and it's still powerful enough to provide a very smooth experience. It's better than ever now that Lollipop has been released, it doesn't feel old or outdated at all.
I agree.

I also picked up one of those 3500 mAh zerolemon battery extender cases. I love that damn thing it nearly tripled my battery time. And yes the Nexus 5 battery isn't exactly anything to write home about but this case with the extra battery is hardly intrusive and it makes the phone feel more rigid and sturdy and it's a perfect balance between weight and size. Highly recommended. I paid around 35 or 40 dollars for this. Not bad for a release 30 case with a built in extended battery the just works really intuitively and it doesn't get in the way.

Pooya

Is G3 worth getting? unlocked prices are pretty reasonable vs a N5. Dunno what to do, I heard it has some issues but battery life sure is way better than N5 still, right?

GrapeApes

Anyone have a Stitcher alternative recommendation? I love Stitcher but it takes forever to load on my phone and crashes too. No problem on my tablet but shit is unbearable on my phone. The only time it might be smooth on the phone is when I'm not connected to internet at all.

tzare

Anyone noticed that photos app on lollipop is now standalone? Still needs G+to work though, hopefully it does not need it anymore in the future if Google puts it on Google play, and adds a easier way to see what is on device and what is uploaded to drive/G+

Apparently shinshoryuken thinks this is the high school lunch room. Yeah I don't have time for people who can't even formulate a response when they get called out. Blocked.

Yeah the one where he's referring to either you or I not being at his level comment was classic. He's clearly another one of those posters that thinks its awesome to top dog in an online forum BC he's a dousch in his real life.

Loseeerrrr

Sch1sm

Yeah the one where he's referring to either you or I not being at his level comment was classic. He's clearly another one of those posters that thinks its awesome to top dog in an online forum BC he's a dousch in his real life.

Loseeerrrr

Weren't you the one complaining about being bullied when you decided to take a break for a weekend?

Jigolo

Just manually applied the OTA to my N10. I'm glad I didn't upgrade my tablet this year because Lollipop flies on this. I'm pondering whether I should do the same for my N5 since the process is so easy. But I'm afraid something will go wrong and there is important shit on my phone unlike my tablet.

Sch1sm

Just manually applied the OTA to my N10. I'm glad I didn't upgrade my tablet this year because Lollipop flies on this. I'm pondering whether I should do the same for my N5 since the process is so easy. But I'm afraid something will go wrong and there is important shit on my phone unlike my tablet.

If you got it right with the tablet you'll do fine. But you should probably back that "important shit" up. Or wait for the OTA and avoid that entirely, either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom