• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drifters

Basically we have started Marvels Civil War early. You are either Team Nexus or Team Samsung. If you don't pick one of our sides, clearly you don't give a shit about Android.

jokkir

What do you guys think of replacing a Nexus 4 for a Moto G 2014? The battery is the biggest issue I have with the Nexus 4 and if the battery is significantly better on the Moto G, I would probably switch to it. The camera is a non-issue for me.

The RAM, however is making me reconsider

Need more opinions for this.

As far as I'm concerned, everyone bickering here is a fucking child. "My phone is better than yours because reasons nyah nyah. I fucked your mom." Wait what?

Weren't you the one complaining about being bullied when you decided to take a break for a weekend?

I had Halloween parties that weekend and my girlfriend was bitching at me for spending too much time online. It was a good opportunity to bitch about some of the posters on here ruining the want to even come and post.

Yeah there's like literally no reason to get a Nexus 6

Edit: Every single reviewer who reviewed it was probably high or something
There's literally one reason to get a Nexus 6. It will be the first Android mobile handset to receive Android 5.0 Lollipop. You can get the latest version first right there, only on the Google Nexus 6 by Motorola. It pays to be first. So be #1. Nexus 6.

Drifters

There's literally one reason to get a Nexus 6. It will be the first Android mobile handset to receive Android 5.0 Lollipop. You can get the latest version first right there, only on the Google Nexus 6 by Motorola. It pays to be first. So be #1. Nexus 6.
Wait... The Nexus 6 doesn't have Lollipop already?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Need more opinions for this.

N4....

In theory this shouldn't have been the case, but everyone just used the same lower/mid range specs from 2013 in the 2014 phones.

As I said in an earlier post this weekend I hope we get an update on that finally this year. There's no reason we should be getting lower end phones with a Snap 400 from 2 years ago.

Drifters

Also... For those flashing their Nexi' with Lollipop, make sure day 0 of the flash you drain your battery all the way down till it powers off. This will recalibrate the battery. Has worked wonders for my N7 and N4.

Alex

Upon my issues with Chrome being too battery intensive, for some reason, I developed some OCD and tried out a good portion of the browsers avalible on Android.

In the end, my favorite one was this little one called Javelin. It was the only non-Chrome browser to do what I needed it to do, which was basically be smooth, don't drink battery doing nothing and play well with embedded videos/default apps.

It did all of that very well, on top of being the best looking browser, IMO, on the platform and having a very nice UI. To boot, it actually syncs with Chrome as well with an extension.

So, so far so good, I do want to mention that the number of browsers on Android that can't even properly open default programs in browsers is really shocking. Got rid of Opera for this reason and although you can get addons for it in Firefox it never works quite right.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
In Sony's defense if they are going for one flagship phone a year they do need to be lock step with Samsung and HTC in getting it out in the 1st half of the year. Does them little favors to release a similarly speced flagship 3-6 months after their competitors.

Hopefully even if the Z4 is soonish it'll be to reset their mobile release calander, and then stop putting out new flagships every few months.

terrier

What's with Sony and these huge fucking bezels? smh

Sony should just let the Z3 live till the new processors get to market. Releasing the Z4 with a 805 is just a waste of time.
probably due to being waterproof. We will see what soc do they use, of they plan to release late spring I bet 810, but if earlier 805 should be the one unless they do not want to face shortages... unless Samsung uses their own 64 bit soc for s6 that could change sone things at Qualcomm...

tzare

It was supposed to be the savior, but now it's the harbinger of disappointment.
If it hadn't been a phablet and as expensive, people wouldn't be so harsh, but it has premium price so... one could expect better battery life and some phablet specific features to take advantage of its huge screen. But it is just a big nexus 5 right now.
In fact it seems that the old nexus is delivering the better lollipop experience right now. So maybe they should have made a nexus 5.1 and keep their pricing structure instead of going into note and now iPhone territory

PD. I'm typing from my nexus 5 now, one thing Samsung and LG do have and Google don't is using front camera to see if you are looking at the screen and don't turn it off of so, so annoying to be reading and screen turns off of a sudden..

With the new bezel, it looks like they pay put the mouthpiece on the bottom to make it less... hole filled on the front? But doesn't that kick the bucket on the idea of front speakers?

Guarantee you the nex6 flops at a carrier level too. It will be interesting to see what they do in 2015 once they realize what a mistake this whole thing was.

RedFyn

Guarantee you the nex6 flops at a carrier level too. It will be interesting to see what they do in 2015 once they realize what a mistake this whole thing was.
Continue collecting checks from the phones sold because people didn't like the n6 and prepare to collect more money from the people that don't like the next nexus.

How much do you guys thing they made off the nexus 5? Compared to what they would've made if it hadn't ever been made?

Continue collecting checks from the phones sold because people didn't like the n6 and prepare to collect more money from the people that don't like the next nexus.

How much do you guys thing they made off the nexus 5? Compared to what they would've made if it hadn't ever been made?

Why does this even matter? It's going to be pure speculation.

RedFyn

Why does this even matter? It's going to be pure speculation.
Because of all the comments about google messing up, having to reevaluate the nexus line, the 6 is a flop and will sell worse than the 5, etc... All of these comments and I have yet to see a reason why Google cares. How does this affect them? You don't like the n6? Ok we'll take your money. You like the n6? Ok we'll take your money. I also can't imagine they won't make more money off the n6 than the n5 simply due to the profit margins.

Because of all the comments about google messing up, having to reevaluate the nexus line, the 6 is a flop and will sell worse than the 5, etc... All of these comments and I have yet to see a reason why Google cares. How does this affect them? You don't like the n6? Ok we'll take your money. You like the n6? Ok we'll take your money. I also can't imagine they won't make more money off the n6 than the n5 simply due to the profit margins.
it would be pretty ridiculous that google works on an operating system that no one uses in the form it's created. It's just funny. I doubt they want that. It's why the nexus program can't fold without some form of replacement. Otherwise the only stock-ish thing you'll see is moto phones...for now. So google holds an I/O conferece, shows us the amazing Android 6.0 Mike And Ike™ and then no one gets to actually have it like that. Well I guess those in india and whatnot can enjoy it with that whole Android One program assuming that's a thing still, haven't checked.

It's just silly is all. And I completely agree with you, Google does NOT care. Of course they don't give a shit, which explains a few things. But that's part of the problem. I don't give a shit what benefits google, I'm just speaking from a consumer perspective who is a fan of android.

It's just a shame is all.

tl;dr, I think google would prefer stock in as many hands as possible despite the fact that their bread and butter is their services/advertising. To pretend that they wouldn't like to have their cake and eat it too is redonk. Of course they would. But they sure are bad at it.

I'm pretty sure Google gives a shit this year otherwise the phone wouldn't be at $650.
I should have explained what I said better but I do think that google does care about getting stock into as many hands as possible but they don't care to actually put in the effort. Half ass errrythang.

The nexus 9 is also the perfect example. The android tablet market needs a huge shot in the arm and that's their response....at that price....right. Even HTC was like :/

tzare

I do not see the nexus as a money maker for Google but they need a flagship of their own to give android a premium device of reference, so that is why they went that way with 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom