• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quixzlizx

Upon my issues with Chrome being too battery intensive, for some reason, I developed some OCD and tried out a good portion of the browsers avalible on Android.

In the end, my favorite one was this little one called Javelin. It was the only non-Chrome browser to do what I needed it to do, which was basically be smooth, don't drink battery doing nothing and play well with embedded videos/default apps.

It did all of that very well, on top of being the best looking browser, IMO, on the platform and having a very nice UI. To boot, it actually syncs with Chrome as well with an extension.

So, so far so good, I do want to mention that the number of browsers on Android that can't even properly open default programs in browsers is really shocking. Got rid of Opera for this reason and although you can get addons for it in Firefox it never works quite right.

Is there an ADB+esque extension?

NotBacon

I should have explained what I said better but I do think that google does care about getting stock into as many hands as possible but they don't care to actually put in the effort. Half ass errrythang.

Pretty much. It's sad because I really want to see a full force advertising campaign for this showcasing Lollipop :/

RedFyn

it would be pretty ridiculous that google works on an operating system that no one uses in the form it's created. It's just funny. I doubt they want that. It's why the nexus program can't fold without some form of replacement. Otherwise the only stock-ish thing you'll see is moto phones...for now. So google holds an I/O conferece, shows us the amazing Android 6.0 Mike And Ike™ and then no one gets to actually have it like that. Well I guess those in india and whatnot can enjoy it with that whole Android One program assuming that's a thing still, haven't checked.

The ui may look different but they can still show off the new features/api. I think you're placing to much on the visuals and not the back end improvements. How many people actually experience stock now? Vs the amount of people that benefit from the new api?

I don't give a shit what benefits google, I'm just speaking from a consumer perspective who is a fan of android.

I can get behind this, I'm not trying to say that I care about google, I would prefer if things were more consumer friendly. What I can't get behind, and why it may seem like I'm defending google is when things like this are said;
Guarantee you the nex6 flops at a carrier level too. It will be interesting to see what they do in 2015 once they realize what a mistake this whole thing was.

I don't see how that's anything other than what an ignorant customer would say. It may be what you want, but it's not realistic. When I respond to these kind of comments it's not to defend google but to explain their reasoning as I see it. The fact that you understand their reasoning and still say it frustrates me because it perpetuates the problem. Saying that Google will realize it's a problem and then saying that you don't actually believe that makes no sense to me.

tl;dr, I think google would prefer stock in as many hands as possible despite the fact that their bread and butter is their services/advertising. To pretend that they wouldn't like to have their cake and eat it too is redonk. Of course they would. But they sure are bad at it.
I disagree with this. I agree that they would prefer to have stock in more (every) hands although I wonder if that really is the case. However I disagree with how you seem to thing it's an easy thing to accomplish. I think they have to be accepting of the oems and how they want to do things. The whole reason they stayed hands off with Motorola was to not upset the other manufacturers. The whole reason they pick 3rd parties to make each nexus phone is to appease the other manufacturers. And the reason they keep the nexus team from the 3rd parties separate is to appease the other manufacturers. I can't imagine htc would be happy if google turned into Apple and pushed their own devices hard. How about lg, Samsung, Motorola? Could Google do it? I think so. I think they just don't want to because it doesn't serve their best interests.

In simple terms. Google released a phone at a very premium price but lacks the features/performance that such a device should have. And I'm being completely objective. Even if I pretended I liked massive phones, the screen is still disappointing, the battery life is disappointing, there's no unique use of the giant display like even (vomit) samsung does with the note, and whatever else I'm forgetting. It's a flop on every single front in that respect. The only place it's not a flop in is the fact that it runs stock but as great as that is it doesn't mean people will shovel any shit into their mouths for it.

And how is that an ignorant consumer thing to say when I mention that it will definitely flop. You're saying the nexus 6 flopping isn't realistic? The vast majority of android phones recently are giant flops, even the one doing well (samsung) are plummeting at astonishing rates. Why would a high priced very niche (as in giant) device not flop? Throw in the fact that it will have no marketing like usual and it is pretty much guaranteed. Don't see how anything in that statement is ignorant.

Google probably already knows that, I can't imagine they're that stupid. Which is why I think my leading theory that motorola was the only one who wanted to do a nexus device and they did it completely on their own terms. Or not. That's speculation.

I don't get any reasoning of the nexus 6. I really don't. I get the INTENTION. But the execution is piss poor and they should be bashed for it. With that said if I wanted a massive phone I'd still get it over the competition. But that's me. Lover of stock android. Not the general public. They'll just pick up the note 4 or whatever garbage (lol). I'm sure someone will say the nexus 6 isn't for the general public but even the hardcore technerds and devs have been shitting on it for various reasons. It's a disappointing product for everybody. Not say some would be happy to get it, if you're one of them then be happy, that's all that matters. But doesn't make anything I said invalid.

edit: as for the new api stuff. Say what you will but to me there is a big difference between a stock device and a touchwiz one despite similar "backends" which isn't even completely true. It's tinkered with far too much. Of course motorola is excluded.

thuway

In simple terms. Google released a phone at a very premium price but lacks the features/performance that such a device should have. And I'm being completely objective. Even if I pretended I liked massive phones, the screen is still disappointing, the battery life is disappointing, there's no unique use of the giant display like even (vomit) samsung does with the note, and whatever else I'm forgetting. It's a flop on every single front in that respect. The only place it's not a flop in is the fact that it runs stock but as great as that is it doesn't mean people will shovel any shit into their mouths for it.

And how is that an ignorant consumer thing to say when I mention that it will definitely flop. You're saying the nexus 6 flopping isn't realistic? The vast majority of android phones recently are giant flops, even the one doing well (samsung) are plummeting at astonishing rates. Why would a high priced very niche (as in giant) device not flop? Throw in the fact that it will have no marketing like usual and it is pretty much guaranteed. Don't see how anything in that statement is ignorant.

Google probably already knows that, I can't imagine they're that stupid. Which is why I think my leading theory that motorola was the only one who wanted to do a nexus device and they did it completely on their own terms. Or not. That's speculation.

I don't get any reasoning of the nexus 6. I really don't. I get the INTENTION. But the execution is piss poor and they should be bashed for it. With that said if I wanted a massive phone I'd still get it over the competition. But that's me. Lover of stock android. Not the general public. They'll just pick up the note 4 or whatever garbage (lol). I'm sure someone will say the nexus 6 isn't for the general public but even the hardcore technerds and devs have been shitting on it for various reasons. It's a disappointing product for everybody. Not say some would be happy to get it, if you're one of them then be happy, that's all that matters. But doesn't make anything I said invalid.

edit: as for the new api stuff. Say what you will but to me there is a big difference between a stock device and a touchwiz one despite similar "backends" which isn't even completely true. It's tinkered with far too much. Of course motorola is excluded.

I just read a wall of text that essentially reads: Nexus 6 is a flop because its not the Note 4.

Are you forgetting the Nexus 6 has the most powerful internals you can buy today? The pricing falls in line with other phones that have Snapdragon 805 SOC's with 13 megapixel shooters.

IMO, Nothing about the phone is a "flop". The majority of reviewers, barring quite a few, seem to be happy with the device, with a few outliers who have nagging issues.

As for your dissapointments:

The screen is the higest resolution you can buy and an AMOLED to boot. We all know Samsung provided an older generation panel, and hence the battery drain. In any case, if the Galaxy S4 panel is "Shit" and a "flop" to you, than by all means - the Note 4 is there for you to purchase.

The camera has the same sensor as the LG G3, and the Android RAW format is yet to be supported in the software. This makes it abundantly evident that the final camera software is not finished, and more importantly, the reviewers who claimed the camera was pretty good in everything except low light - if that is a "flop" to you, than it's a flop.

Finally, the device has front facing stereo speakers. Something, as far as I can recall, the HTC One only has. If all these things sound like "Flops", than by all means buy a Note 4.

I'll stick with Stock Android. Oh and I am an owner of an original Note, Note 2, and Note 3. I have had my fair share of headaches with touchwiz slowing down over time and absolutely bloating up the OS after major updates. The original Galaxy Note when updated to Ice Cream Sandwich became an abortion to use. The same will happen with the Note 4. Samsung does not do clean updates. People forget that.

I just read a wall of text that essentially reads: Nexus 6 is a flop because its not the Note 4.

Are you forgetting the Nexus 6 has the most powerful internals you can buy today? The pricing falls in line with other phones that have Snapdragon 805 SOC's with 13 megapixel shooters.

IMO, Nothing about the phone is a "flop". The majority of reviewers, barring quite a few, seem to be happy with the device, with a few outliers who have nagging issues.

The screen is the higest resolution you can buy and an AMOLED to boot. We all know Samsung provided an older generation panel, and hence the battery drain. In any case, if the Galaxy S4 panel is "Shit" and a "flop" to you, than by all means - the Note 4 is there for you to purchase.

The camera has the same sensor as the LG G3, and the Android RAW format is yet to be supported in the software. This makes it abundantly evident that the final camera software is not finished, and more importantly, the reviewers who claimed the camera was pretty good in everything except low light - if that is a "flop" to you, than it's a flop.

Finally, the device has front facing stereo speakers. Something, as far as I can recall, the HTC One only has. If all these things sound like "Flops", than by all means buy a Note 4.

I'll stick with Stock Android. Oh and I am an owner of an original Note, Note 2, and Note 3. I have had my fair share of headaches with touchwiz slowing down over time and absolutely bloating up the OS after major updates. The original Galaxy Note when updated to Ice Cream Sandwich became an abortion to use. The same will happen with the Note 4. Samsung does not do clean updates. People forget that.
1) I'm not really saying it's not as good as the note 4. Once again I was trying to be objective. Everyone in this thread who knows me knows that I think all samsung phones are abominations that no one should buy (faceless!).

2) there's more to display than resolution. I'm not going to bother explaining it only because the anandtech review articulates it better than I could. I'm not saying it's bad it's just disappointing in that it doesn't stack up with the nexus 5/note4/any recent smartphone that isn't a motorola phone. Once again not bad but doesn't look as good or accurate and whatnot. When last years nexus at half the price had the better looking visuals, you done goof'd.

3) The internals are ok, they definitely skimped on battery for a 6 inch display. When I say ok I'm not saying they aren't the tops but I don't think it's that strong a point for the price. Nexus 5 was the tops when it came out. So was the One Plus mostly. Heck even the moto X is in my opinion. All range from cheaper to a lot cheaper than the nexus 6. It doesn't really justify its premium price. Once again I'm judging it as a nexus device compared to previous nexus models for the most part. Like I said, if I were in the market for a big ass fucking phone, I would not hesitate in getting the nexus 6 but it's more because everything else sucks and I hate their skins and other such details. Not because I absolutely love the nexus 6.

I'll assume you don't post in this thread a ton only because you'd know that I'm the biggest stock android Stan left in these parts. Nobody pimps it like me. But the nexus 6 is what it is. A few tweaks away from being fucking awesome. And still the best big phone on the market IMO. But that doesn't mean I can't call out its flaws of which it has many. I think if you're going to go premium with price you have to go all the way. And yes google is allowed to try a different strategy for nexus and I'm allowed to say that strategy sucks and won't pan out. Maybe I'll be wrong.

And it will flop. I mean sales wise. I'm not shitting on the quality of the device when I say it will flop. It's like vidya games. Lots of great games flop. I just mean sales wise, it has no chance. Releasing on carriers helps in theory but not when carriers won't be pushing it much and it has no marketing campaign and it's ginormous. Casuals will get the note 4 over it most of the time I would think.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
N4 OTA is out now, link on Android Police.

I never flashed an OTA before.
How risky is the process (looking at the method now)?
Does it usually take long for Google to push the update after its leak/availability (i.e. is it worth the trouble)?

MattDoza

Does it usually take long for Google to push the update after its leak/availability (i.e. is it worth the trouble)?
It's basically just skipping the wait for the OTA to hit your N4. Virtually no risk. Just make sure you pull the OTA file from a trustworthy source.

NotBacon

In simple terms. Google released a phone at a very premium price but lacks the features/performance that such a device should have. And I'm being completely objective.

BooThisMan.gif

Just because it's not the savior phone, doesn't mean it's a flop.
This isn't Talladega Nights lol.

So much yes

thuway

It's pretty simple stuff :), it's essentially approved by the Googs.

Just because it's not the savior phone, doesn't mean it's a flop.
This isn't Talladega Nights lol.

So much yes
I'll say it again. Maybe you guys are used to people misusing the word flop but I don't mean it in terms of quality. I mean sales. I think it will bomb sales wise through carriers and I think unlocked online it will obviously do a lot worse than previous nexus devices.

Again, I (sort of) hope I'm wrong because the more stock the better.

RedFyn

But you aren't being objective pyro. You can't dictate what a premium device has and then say you're being objective. What if I said a premium device has to have dual front facing speakers. No matter how good a device it is if it doesn't have dual front facing speakers it isn't a premium device. You're dictating your terms of what a premium device must have and then saying that it's all objective. It doesn't work that way.

malyce

Yet it performs worse than phones with lesser internals and gets trounced by phones in its weight class, so what exactly are you trying to say?

Oh and I am the owner of an original G1, Nexus One, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4(does this give me enough device cred? must I list my other non google android devices too?). I have had my fair share of headaches with both high end and mid range Nexus devices and features that could be easily implemented into stock android. Flagship prices demand flagship performance. I don't understand why some of you have a problem with people calling the N6 out on its flaws.

thuway

And it will flop. I mean sales wise. I'm not shitting on the quality of the device when I say it will flop. It's like vidya games. Lots of great games flop. I just mean sales wise, it has no chance. Releasing on carriers helps in theory but not when carriers won't be pushing it much and it has no marketing campaign and it's ginormous. Casuals will get the note 4 over it most of the time I would think.
I think you are taking this way too seriously. The Nexus line is prety low on the priority list of important items at Google. It's a reference device, nothing more. It attracts hardcore Android fans - it's not meant for general public consumption. I'd wager you'll never see a commercial for it either.

But you aren't being objective pyro. You can't dictate what a premium device has and then say you're being objective. What if I said a premium device has to have dual front facing speakers. No matter how good a device it is if it doesn't have dual front facing speakers it isn't a premium device. You're dictating your terms of what a premium device must have and then saying that it's all objective. It doesn't work that way.
To me a premium phablet has:

A great display. Not just high res but very accurate colours.
Awesome battery life. An absolute must on a phablet.
Awesome camera.
Good form factor. If it's going to be massive it should be on the thin side.
Unique reasons for the phablet to....be a phablet! Whether it's some pen crap or other ways to add value to a bigger screen, google should have included it. Same criticism the iphone 6+ got from a lot of sites.

I think those are absolutely objective, as in things that nobody can argue. I didn't include speakers and whatnot because I think a lot would argue that they aren't necessary.

These are the objective things it should have and do well. It misses the boat on some of those.

I think you are taking this way too seriously. The Nexus line is prety low on the priority list of important items at Google. It's a reference device, nothing more. It attracts hardcore Android fans - it's not meant for general public consumption. I'd wager you'll never see a commercial for it either.
so it's a reference device nothing more and meant to attract hardcore android fans so they double'd the price and are now selling it through carriers at launch (including verizon!)? Sounds like they have something else on their minds to me. If it's all you said it was they would have just rehashed the nexus 5 with updated specs. But that's what google does. They imply higher ambitions but falter on the execution.

thuway

Yet it performs worse than phones with lesser internals and gets trounced by phones in its weight class, so what exactly are you trying to say?

Oh and I am the owner of an original G1, Nexus One, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4. I have had my fair share of headaches with both high end and mid range Nexus devices and features that could be easily implemented into stock android. Flagship prices demand flagship performance. I don't understand why some of you have a problem with people calling the N6 out of its flaws.

I have zero issues, in fact I cancelled my preorder, but to hate on the Nexus 6 because it isn't a Note 4 is silly. The Nexus 6 has differentiated itself as a stock Android phone with good battery life, a good camera, and a OLED panel from last year. The sum of it's parts is a pretty awesome device, but calling it a failure or a flop prematurely is pretty short sighted.

I've yet to see ANY phone get as much hate as ya'll are giving the Nexus 6. It's like some strange stockholm syndrome.

RedFyn

I'm not sure how else to say it. You can't say "I think" and remain objective. I think is subjective not objective.

Also flop isn't just total sales but sales vs sales expectation.

I have zero issues, in fact I cancelled my preorder, but to hate on the Nexus 6 because it isn't a Note 4 is silly. The Nexus 6 has differentiated itself as a stock Android phone with good battery life, a good camera, and a OLED panel from last year. The sum of it's parts is a pretty awesome device, but calling it a failure or a flop prematurely is pretty short sighted.

I've yet to see ANY phone get as much hate as ya'll are giving the Nexus 6. It's like some strange stockholm syndrome.

You clearly weren't here when the S5 launched. It got shit on more than german porn.

I'm not sure how else to say it. You can't say "I think" and remain objective. I think is subjective not objective.

Also flop isn't just total sales but sales vs sales expectation.
ok. I KNOW they're objective. There you go lol. Whatever helps.

And when you sell through carriers at launch something tells me there are much higher expectations than ever before. And like I said, I think it will flizzzzop in that sense.

I did say it was the best phablet out imo. But I personally feel that it's more in spite of other devices than it is for the merits of the nex6. That's just me though.

The nexus line always flops. Google created the nexus line for the devs to know how to create apps.

Maybe google doesn't give a shit how well the 6 sells and just wants developers to start making their apps work better on larger phones...

I swear Google made the nexus 9 4:3 just to call out all the shitty developers who have apps with static dimensions.

The nexus line always flops. Google created the nexus line for the devs to know how to create apps.

Maybe google doesn't give a shit how well the 6 sells and just wants developers to start making their apps work better on larger phones...

I swear Google made the nexus 9 4:3 just to call out all the shitty developers who have apps with static dimensions.
if they didn't give a shit they wouldn't have all these carrier deals at launch. And if they wanted to direct it towards developers it wouldn't be double in price.

And they don't always flop. Outside of battery life the nexus 4 was the bomb. Nexus 5 was even more awesome though still average in battery.

Nexus 9 is a solid device that priced itself out. It's more extreme than the nexus 6 in terms of not deserving a premium price. Especially with all the quality issues circulating around the web. HTC dumping stock at 199 the day of release says it all lol.

malyce

NO! It has Average battery life, takes subpar pictures and a 18 month old OLED display. Hence why people in the N6 thread are betting on future improvements by way of updates. Yet it is priced $249-299 and $650 on and off contract. It's not a flop or failure yet, but it's a pretty disappointing device. And let's be honest, the numbers aren't gonna light up the sales charts.

if they didn't give a shit they wouldn't have all these carrier deals at launch. And if they wanted to direct it towards developers it wouldn't be double in price.

And they don't always flop. Outside of battery life the nexus 4 was the bomb. Nexus 5 was even more awesome though still average in battery.

Nexus 9 is a solid device that priced itself out. It's more extreme than the nexus 6 in terms of not deserving a premium price. Especially with all the quality issues circulating around the web. HTC dumping stock at 199 the day of release says it all lol.

Since when have development kits ever been cheap? Google never advertises the nexus line on TV. If they wanted to they would.

The nexus 4 and 5 sold like shit compared to other hardware manufactures.

Since when have development kits ever been cheap? Google never advertises the nexus line on TV. If they wanted to they would.
the nexus 4 and 5 were cheap! But it's obvious the nexus 6 they're looking to profit more in some way. And I don't think it will work out and they will isolate those who would normally buy it off contract. Not all of them but a lot of them. Playing the carrier game will do the nexus line more harm than good this go around. That's just my opinion.

The nexus 4 and 5 sold like shit compared to other hardware manufactures.
they're also not marketed at all, as you mentioned. And they weren't sold on carriers from the get-go. And never on some carriers. They never got a fair shot.

I think the nexus 6 would be a lot easier to swallow for hardcore fans if it were priced similar to the moto X at $499. $750 (canadian) is just funny. Strictly speaking off contract. Even 650 is tough to swallow. At least until they fix alot of things. I still expect it to drop in price sooner rather than later. Same with the nex9.

Drifters

Alright you dick weasels that are so busy humping the Note 4.... What would you have done to make the Nexus 6 better than your precious Note 4 at the same price point or less?

For me, the only thing that's disappointing about the Nexus 6 is the display and battery with directly correlates with each other. Since Moto used last generation amoled tech, it's not very energy efficient pushing so many pixels. Say what you will about the Note, you cannot find flaw with the display. It's absolutely gorgeous in person and really looks nice. And it gets quite bright in a heavy lit area which I cannot say for the Nexus. Still, watching reviews of Note 4 always show lag or stutter navigating the ui because of touchwiz, which is the Achilles heel of Samsung.

So I wouldn't call the Nexus 6 shit, just disappointing in some aspects.

giga

Please find the iPhone 6 bendgate thread.

Alright you dick weasels that are so busy humping the Note 4.... What would you have done to make the Nexus 6 better than your precious Note 4 at the same price point or less?
not use last years display and have better battery. Form factor wise maybe be a little smaller.

Like I said though I think all samsung phones suxx so it's hard for me to answer fairly.

So I wouldn't call the Nexus 6 shit, just disappointing in some aspects.
I'd never call it shit either. Like I said, if I wanted a phablet I wouldn't think twice.

thuway

NO! It has Average battery life, takes subpar pictures and a 18 month old OLED display. Hence why people in the N6 thread are betting on future improvements by way of updates. Yet it is priced $249-299 and $650 on and off contract. It's not a flop or failure yet, but it's a pretty disappointing device. And let's be honest, the numbers aren't gonna light up the sales charts.

I have yet to read a single review which isolates these feelings and comes to the same conclusion you have, but you've made up your mind and I respect that. Anyway, I'm gonna relook into the Nexus 6 once I see it on screets myself :).

RedFyn

ok. I KNOW they're objective. There you go lol. Whatever helps.
Theyre what, to you, is required in a premium device. That's the distinction I'm trying to make. Everyone's premium device is different.

And when you sell through carriers at launch something tells me there are much higher expectations than ever before. And like I said, I think it will flizzzzop in that sense.
So in your eye it's a flop? I don't think we'll ever know what Google expects of it. As such I personally could never say it's a flop. Not that I ever would as I don't understand why that matters to anyone. Why do you care if it flops or not other than to show Google they were wrong which as I said before I don't believe they care.

Theyre what, to you, is required in a premium device. That's the distinction I'm trying to make. Everyone's premium device is different.

So in your eye it's a flop? I don't think we'll ever know what Google expects of it. As such I personally could never say it's a flop. Not that I ever would as I don't understand why that matters to anyone. Why do you care if it flops or not other than to show Google they were wrong which as I said before I don't believe they care.
I care because 1) I like stock android and want more of it on devices. It matters to me if it flops! Even if it's not my kind of device. 2) It might affect the future of the nexus line, you never know.

not use last years display and have better battery. Form factor wise maybe be a little smaller.

Like I said though I think all samsung phones suxx so it's hard for me to answer fairly.

I'd never call it shit either. Like I said, if I wanted a phablet I wouldn't think twice.

I think they should've stuck a larger battery as a fail safe for Project Volta. The phone is certainly wide enough for one going by the form factor. And obviously use the same display Samsung is rocking. They stressed battery life as a major upgrade in lollipop and so far, it's not happening. Though I believe this is because of bugs in the current code. Perhaps they'll fix it.

RedFyn

I care because 1) I like stock android and want more of it on devices. It matters to me if it flops! Even if it's not my kind of device. 2) It might affect the future of the nexus line, you never know.
That's why I said I don't believe they care. I don't believe that the nexus 6 flopping would affect anything. I agree with the general idea of what osiris said.

Do you have sales numbers for the n4/5? Are you just assuming they weren't flops or do you have an actual evidence?

You think the n6 sales will influence Google's next phone. Do you think the n5 sales influenced the n6?

That's why I said I don't believe they care. I don't believe that the nexus 6 flopping would affect anything. I agree with the general idea of what osiris said.

Do you have sales numbers for the n4/5? Are you just assuming they weren't flops or do you have an actual evidence?

You think the n6 sales will influence Google's next phone. Do you think the n5 sales influenced the n6?
All my answers to this would be speculation. Maybe the previous nexus phones not selling so hot is why google is going the carrier-first approach this time around. Which would mean they want it to sell a lot more. I personally hope if it does bomb they don't let it influence the future of the nexus program.

Also most android phones (premium ones, not low end) don't do so well so I can only imagine that the nexus 4/5 didn't do so well either. But it was an affordable way to get it into the hands of developers and big android fans.

The battery life is good, not average, but yes, should be better given the size of the battery. Whether that's software or not, I don't know.

It takes good pictures, but is sub par in low light. The camera compares quite well next to other phones, but is obviously not the best of the best.

Aside from the whites, the display is not significantly worse (to me) than other panels, based on what I've seen in comparison videos and when trying out the N6 and other phones in person.

The performance of the N6 is pretty much the same as other phones. It's a tiny bit slower in terms of speed (which may or may not be due to encryption, other software issues, whatever), but it's still smoother overall than some other devices with manufacturer skins. But honestly, at this point, all high-end, Android flagships are plenty fast that the vast majority of people will never notice a difference. Hell, I barely notice a difference sometimes. The differences are in the millisecond range for the most part.

No, it won't light up the sales chart. It would take Google to actually market a damn Nexus for that to happen, but they don't seem to care (aside from the little they did for the N7).

Edit: Ya know what, all this back-and-forth is ridiculous. But I guess that's why I like the Android community.

Toki767

I'm just sad that the Nexus 6 is probably going to push other flagships into the 6 inch territory next year. I already expect Samsung and LG to pretty much continually increase the size of their screen on the S6 and G4. I feel like HTC is going to go to 5.5" next year which would make it compete with the iPhone 6+ more. Then Motorola is probably going to go 5.5" for the Moto X as well. No clue where Sony goes since they do 2 phones a year, but they're obviously going to do 5" on the Z4.

Drifters

So no one else huh?

Of the top of my head:
Tegra K1 in the N6
3Gb/4Gb of RAM
Better OLED
32Gb/64Gb/128Gb options
Camera better than Sony's 20MP shooter
Wireless charging
4000mAH battery

That'd be a start.

Drifters

I'm just sad that the Nexus 6 is probably going to push other flagships into the 6 inch territory next year. I already expect Samsung and LG to pretty much continually increase the size of their screen on the S6 and G4. I feel like HTC is going to go to 5.5" next year which would make it compete with the iPhone 6+ more. Then Motorola is probably going to go 5.5" for the Moto X as well. No clue where Sony goes since they do 2 phones a year, but they're obviously going to do 5" on the Z4.
6" is the last frontier for smart phones. Beyond that might as well be south Korea and we all carry around galaxy tabs next to our heads.

sooner or later smaller devices will make a comeback and be the in-thing. Right?....right?!

I think 6 will still be the minority next year for non phablets but it doesn't help our cause lol. Guess we'll see. 2015 is going to be a very interesting year in terms of hardware. See what radical shift samsung has in mind to stop their plummet. What will HTC do (probably not something high tech). Will Sony learn things? IS LG staying the course? Where does the Moto X go in 2015? What does a OnePlus 2 look like having learned from their strengths/weaknesses. What does google do hardware wise.

All interesting stuff, more so than other years imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom