• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotBacon

I don't understand why some of you have a problem with people calling the N6 out on its flaws.

That's not the problem.

Yet it performs worse than phones with lesser internals and gets trounced by phones in its weight class
NO! It has Average battery life, takes subpar pictures

Nonsense like this is the problem.

There is a phone in it's weight class that performs a bit better in some aspects* but has software that many people dislike. There is no "trouncing" going on here.

The SW performance problems are minimal, barely noticeable if you don't have a reference like a N5, and will be remedied in an update**.

Battery life is GOOD. Pictures are GOOD to GREAT, depending on light. This is known by now. No more FUD. Please.

*Let's say a certain Ferrari goes 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, and a certain Lamborghini does it in 3.
Does this make the Ferrari a shitcar?

**inb4 "lol keep choking that update chicken", when Google themselves said it...

That's not the problem.

There is a phone in it's weight class that performs a bit better in some aspects* but has software that many people dislike. There is no "trouncing" going on here.

The SW performance problems are minimal, barely noticeable if you don't have a reference like a N5, and will be remedied in an update**.

Battery life is GOOD. Pictures are GOOD to GREAT, depending on light. This is known by now. No more FUD. Please.

*Let's say a certain Ferrari goes 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, and a certain Lamborghini does it in 3.
Doors this make the Ferrari a shitcar?

**inb4 "lol keep choking that update chicken", when Google themselves said it...

nobody is saying the nexus 6 is a bad phone, it's just not as good as its nearest competitor (in hardware obviously)

if you prefer the nexus 6, that's fair enough, but it becomes clear you prioritise software over hardware (which is hard not to when the competition has touchwiz)

would you take the nexus 6 over a GPE note 4?

Groof

nobody is saying the nexus 6 is a bad phone, it's just not as good as its nearest competitor (in hardware obviously)

if you prefer the nexus 6, that's fair enough, but it becomes clear you prioritise software over hardware (which is hard not to when the competition has touchwiz)

Except all the people exaggerating and saying it's absolute shit.

I would. I hate the physical home button on Samsung devices, and while I prefer software buttons, all capacitive would be better than having to deal with a physical navigation button. Now if Samsung released a device with all capacitive or software buttons, and it ran stock/close to stock like Moto, I'd no longer care for Nexus devices until Google finally starts to care and releases something best in class.

Of course, I realize I'm in the minority with the physical buttons thing.

Hasney

Managed to fix the battery life on my S4, so that's one problem down out of millions. Decided to flash a newer version of the modem as I was getting much worse signal, but it looks like that was just my network and now my battery lasts all day.

RedFyn

nobody is saying the nexus 6 is a bad phone,
That's not true

Yes, the nexus 6 still has the better speakers, no annoying physical button and I don't like how the note feels in the hand

NotBacon

Except you know, all the people that are....
Why else do you think I'm here struggling to clear up all the misinformation?

I wouldn't take a Note 4 GPE. I hate the home button and back texture. The chamfered edges are nice though.

The Nexus 6 IS THE SOFTWARE. DONT YOU PEOPLE GET IT?!?!?

I love you. I mean, um... er.....

NotBacon

Anyone here subscribed to Google Play Music? I wanted to know the thoughts of others on it. Is it any good?

Apparently it's really good. I haven't personally used it, as I'm a local music guy, but with the N6 I'll get 6 months free to try it out and I'm looking forward to see what all the hubub is about.

Groof

Anyone here subscribed to Google Play Music? I wanted to know the thoughts of others on it. Is it any good?

It's pretty great. Spotify still has the upper hand in selection though. But for me, being able to upload my own songs and have them intermix with the online selection is a killer feature.

Apparently it's really good. I haven't personally used it, as I'm a local music guy, but with the N6 I'll get 6 months free to try it out and I'm looking forward to see what all the hubub is about.
Yep me too. I might try it now since a linked an account to Google so I could try the 30 day trial. I want to do a mixture of both because there wil be times where I lose my connection and then it'll become utterly useless.

It's pretty great. Spotify still has the upper hand in selection though. But for me, being able to upload my own songs and have them intermix with the online selection is a killer feature.
Limited selection? I hope it's not in the genres I like. I need my music for that long commute to school.

Talon

Is NotBacon living in an alternate universe where arguably the most important part of a smartphone, the screen, isn't a disappointment?

NotBacon

Is NotBacon living in an alternate universe where arguably the most important part of a smartphone, the screen, isn't a disappointment?

Nah just the one where every reviewer who has the phone said it's beautiful and bright regardless of benchmarks.

XBP

But the screen is not a disappointment. How are you reaching to this conclusion? Its not like the Note 4 but it is not a disappointment by any stretch.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

I love how how you all care about the screen when back in the day nobody gave a shit but me. As long as it was amoled GAF would spooge even if the colors and the brightness and the accuracy were mad wack.

Talon

I love how how you all care about the screen when back in the day nobody gave a shit but me. As long as it was amoled GAF would spooge even if the colors and the brightness and the accuracy were mad wack.
Dawg - don't pin that on me. I was always IPS LCD 4 Lyfe.

when people that don't even like Samsung or TouchWiz are saying the Note 4 is obviously better than the Nexus 6, what else is there to do? imma play some BF4.

PS you can get L on a 5 for half.

Talon

Nah just the one where every reviewer who has the phone said it's beautiful and bright regardless of benchmarks.
68986.png

68987.png

68988.png

68989.png

If you're going to price yourself like an iPhone, you better be within punching distance of the iPhone.

I'm not sure how else to say it. You can't say "I think" and remain objective. I think is subjective not objective.

Also flop isn't just total sales but sales vs sales expectation.

so if i expected the Nexus 6 to be trash all along and it doesn't even live up to that low bar, it's still pretty good because it was shit, which ls almost trash?

I find this exchange to be highly entertaining. Veterans of Android Gaf.

I thought the display looked pretty nice in person *shrugs*

malyce

That's not the problem.

Does this make the Ferrari a shitcar?

It's still $649. There's a reason why the base model Camry doesn't start at 40K.

NotBacon

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph8687/68986.png[/img
[img]http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph8687/68987.png[/img
[img]http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph8687/68988.png[/img
[img]http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph8687/68989.png[/img

If you're going to price yourself like an iPhone, you better be within punching distance of the iPhone.[/QUOTE]

Cool benchmarks bro

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

To be fair I quoted you just cause of the screen comment, but I did say you all as a general.

I can remember countless posts like

yo dat amoled
dem blacks
what who cares if the other colors of the rainbow look like shiet
color accuracy? don't care looks good to me

i'd like to point out how even years ago i was talking about how Samsung was catering to multiple audiences with their color profiles. some people want those blown out colors... look at how Sony pimps out their 'Mobile Bravia Engine' on their devices.

so it has those 'blown out AMOLED colors' that people dog Samsung for despite their multiple color profiles, but give other manufacturers a pass on despite that being their only setting?

This. This logic right here.

"It only goes 0-60 in 3.5 seconds instead of 3 seconds. Obviously a Toyota Camry shitcar"

No no no! Don't use the real world as a benchmark! Look at these numbers right over here!

Sorry. No offense to Whiskerfrisker, but I'm going to take the word of a guy from Anandtech over some random dude on Neogaf.

malyce

This. This logic right here.

"It only goes 0-60 in 3.5 seconds instead of 3 seconds. Obviously a Toyota Camry shitcar"

No no no! Don't use the real world as a benchmark! Look at these numbers right over here!

Uhhh.. because people that purchase $250k+ cars don't really care about gas mileage[see: battery life].. it's about more about performace. Hence the Camry reference.

So again, why would I pay 40k for a base model Camry when I can pick up a ES Hybrid that's comes with a fuckton more bells and whistles and an extra 9mpg?

NotBacon

Sorry. No offense to Whiskerfrisker, but I'm going to take the word of a guy from Anandtech over some random dude on Neogaf.

But then we're back to real world vs benchmarks. I mean I'm sure Anand looked at those numbers on paper real hard, but if Whisker and dozens of other reviewers say it's fine in the real world...... *shrug*

Talon

But then we're back to real world vs benchmarks. I mean I'm sure Anand looked at those numbers on paper real hard, but if Whisker and dozens of other reviewers say it's fine in the real world...... *shrug*
The Nexus 6 is getting shit because it was priced as a premium device at $649 - meaning there's no reason that this device should fall short on as basic of a feature as a quality, well-tuned panel. And yet Motorola and Google managed to fuck it up.

Ignoring Faceless' Samsung stanning, this isn't Nexus 6 vs. Note. It's just another groan by this thread at Google half assing it again.

The Nexus 6 is still a premium device, though. So was the Nexus 5. The Nexus 6 is $649 this year because Google didn't want to subsidize it. Simple as that. The display is not bad by any means, it's just not as good as others.

XBP

The Nexus 6 is getting shit because it was priced as a premium device at $649 - meaning there's no reason that this device should fall short on as basic of a feature as a quality, well-tuned panel. And yet Motorola and Google managed to fuck it up.

Ignoring Faceless' Samsung stanning, this isn't Nexus 6 vs. Note. It's just another groan by this thread at Google half assing it again.

Its priced as almost every other flagship in the market and has shortcomings similar to every other flagship in the market. There is no such thing as a perfect phone. Every phone in the market currently has at least a few things going against it.

None taken. It's okay to listen to a scientific analysis, there's a lot of money on the line. Like I said in my earlier post with impressions, I liked the display but it definitely does not get super bright like Anandtech said. The battery was low (lol) so I couldn't do much. I'll go back tomorrow and try it out some more. Pyro saw it to side-by-side with other phones as well.

Faceless gonna faceless, it keeps things entertaining. I agree with you about calibration, Google should not have messed that up. Especially considering the Nexus 5 was far more accurate.

malyce

The Nexus 6 is still a premium device, though. So was the Nexus 5. The Nexus 6 is $649 this year because Google didn't want to subsidize it. Simple as that. The display is not bad by any means, it's just not as good as others.

Please tell me you don't believe this garbage. @349 for the N5 LG was still making a profit, though not at much as a $600 flagship, but that's the reason the phone was gimped in the first place. Google isn't a carrier, it doesn't has to pay upfront costs for devices then sell them at discounted price to consumers. Nexus devices are partnership between them and the OEMs. Even Asus managed to eat off the N7 @ $199. What do you think the BOM is for handsets? Google handles the packaging, shipping, distribution and marketing costs. There isn't much to subsidize. At worst, they're selling it at cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom