• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Biggest issue is how we get fleeced with smart phone prices in general. I get that we have to pay some over the BoM for things built in like R&D and marketing and such. Yet in general smartphones are some of the most over priced tech, but they have us all by the balls.

this_guy

But then we're back to real world vs benchmarks. I mean I'm sure Anand looked at those numbers on paper real hard, but if Whisker and dozens of other reviewers say it's fine in the real world...... *shrug*

So how come you kept telling people that asked about the LG G3 that the G3 had screen issues? In the past you kept calling it a negative, it's not bright enough and there's more to a screen than just resolution? Looking at those Anandtech benchmarks, objectively speaking, it has one of the worst screens when it comes to flagships. From brightness to color accuracy it's pretty bad. Sure you can say it's good enough, but then for most people a Blu phone from Amazon is good enough. That's why everyone calls you out for shilling.

kehs

Banned
68986.png

68987.png

68988.png

68989.png

If you're going to price yourself like an iPhone, you better be within punching distance of the iPhone.

So good.franco

Wreav

Banned
But then we're back to real world vs benchmarks. I mean I'm sure Anand looked at those numbers on paper real hard, but if Whisker and dozens of other reviewers say it's fine in the real world...... *shrug*

The one benchmark I can absolutely not look past is the max brightness. Seriously, that's terrible. Like, really, really, really bad, guys.

NotBacon

So how come you kept telling people that asked about the LG G3 that the G3 had screen issues? In the past you kept calling it a negative, it's not bright enough and there's more to a screen than just resolution? Looking at those Anandtech benchmarks, objectively speaking, it has one of the worst screens when it comes to flagships. From brightness to color accuracy it's pretty bad. Sure you can say it's good enough, but then for most people a Blu phone from Amazon is good enough. That's why everyone calls you out for shilling.

Hm? I'm not shifting around here. Many G3 users reported the screen problems. Many Nexus 6 owners are not. I'm just going with the majority here.

And I think you might have me confused with someone else lol. I guess I was accused of shilling a while ago, but it's been a long time since I've shown I actually know what I'm taking about. But we can start the name calling again if you'd like?

this_guy

Hm? I'm not shifting around here. Many G3 users reported the screen problems. Many Nexus 6 owners are not. I'm just going with the majority here.

And I think you might have me confused with someone else lol. I guess I was accused of shilling a while ago, but it's been a long time since I've shown I actually know what I'm taking about. But we can start the name calling again if you'd like?

I don't recall a single G3 owner reporting screen problems. Which ones are you referring to since there's so many?

Anybody think that if Google is smart and realizes it hasn't panned out the way they wanted it to with the 6 or the 9, maybe they'll come out with a new 5 and 7 by the middle of next year?

I'd still KILL for a new Nexus 5 made by Sony. LG or Sony should be the ones to make the new ones. Especially because of their care for cameras and overall quality of their devices. Samsung, while being very fast and having great screens... I think the Galaxy Nexus left a dent to some people.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

People don't even have the damn phone yet for there to be owners outside of reviewers.

giga

Hey guys I'm new here and looking for a cheap, low end phone. What are your thoughts on the Moto g, iPhone 4s, or the nexus 6? Thanks in advance.

Hey guys I'm new here and looking for a cheap, low end phone. What are your thoughts on the Moto g, iPhone 4s, or the nexus 6? Thanks in advance.
DO NOT get a 4S. Anything but the 5 line or higher is severely outdated.

Nexus 6 if you can afford it and don't mind a giant phone is the obvious choice. It's not low end at all though. Thumbs up for the Moto G. Check out the OnePlus One as well.

Exis

Okay Droid Gaf, a fucking coffee cup leaked in my cupholder and took my phone with it and I need a new one in a rush. Downside is I am broke.. so what are my options? Are any of these Blu phones any good or should I just go for the Moto G?

Okay Droid Gaf, a fucking coffee cup leaked in my cupholder and took my phone with it and I need a new one in a rush. Downside is I am broke.. so what are my options? Are any of these Blu phones any good or should I just go for the Moto G?
moto g duh, see my post above :p

iPhone 4s is a bad choice. Way too old

Nexus 6 is not cheap/low end

Moto G, Moto X (2013), Nexus 5 are your best options.

If you can find a 2013 Moto X online similar priced to the G, go X. The 2013 X is superior to the 2014 G in almost every way.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Oh my god. My camera app just froze the fuck out, with the flas LED on. It stayed on even after I restarted the phone :lol. Restarting and opening the camera app made everything normal but still.

co1onel

Biggest issue is how we get fleeced with smart phone prices in general. I get that we have to pay some over the BoM for things built in like R&D and marketing and such. Yet in general smartphones are some of the most over priced tech, but they have us all by the balls.

This is an easy fix. Everyone just has to stop buying so many phones.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
We should all just get Huawei phones from now on. Fuck the big manufacturers.
I like my Moto G. DAT pricerange / performance combo. Let's just push technology back a year and get budget phones, you'll still get big upgrades but at a much lower cost. It'll be way of life from now on, my mantra.

Wait and save, wait and save.

tzare

There's no reason it should be.
Why not? It is convenient and inexpensive. Using oled screen to see notification info is nice but does not work if phone ain't in front of you. A led can be seen from distance easily. It doesn't alter design or anything since it can be placed almost anywhere in the phone

kharma45

Why not? It is convenient and inexpensive. Using oled screen to see notification info is nice but does not work if phone ain't in front of you. A led can be seen from distance easily. It doesn't alter design or anything since it can be placed almost anywhere in the phone

Eh? I said there's no reason why you couldn't have the active display and an LED.

Maiar_m

The way chrome handles tabs now is so odd. This is going to take time to get used to.

I don't even think it's a good UX at all, it makes little sense to equalize apps and tabs. It only makes sens if you're approaching websites as webapps, and even that is reaching a bit. Having them in the task manager is fine, but having them (and only them) accessible as a "tab" overlay to the Chrome app makes much more sense.

Groof

I don't even think it's a good UX at all, it makes little sense to equalize apps and tabs. It only makes sens if you're approaching websites as webapps, and even that is reaching a bit. Having them in the task manager is fine, but having them (and only them) accessible as a "tab" overlay to the Chrome app makes much more sense.
The best thing about it is that websites can apply a custom colour to the status bar when you use it.
But that's pretty much it. If you want to hop between tabs you need to dig through your entire recent apps list. Not the best idea in the world. There should still be a way to single them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom