• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

reKon

Banned
I don't even think it's a good UX at all, it makes little sense to equalize apps and tabs. It only makes sens if you're approaching websites as webapps, and even that is reaching a bit. Having them in the task manager is fine, but having them (and only them) accessible as a "tab" overlay to the Chrome app makes much more sense.

I just got Android L on my Nexus 7 and I don't even have the option to access separate tabs when multitasking when using chrome beta or chrome...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What does the lockscreen look like with the final build of L with music playing?

b8uj8.jpg

So full-screen album art is in, but you still don't get the "proper" controls you had in KK. It's just a notification like any other now.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Other than the fact the buttons are small and pushed together, there's not even a back skip button. I can't see how seeking is going to work on that either.

It doesn't. You can do those two things you see, and that's it. No back skip annoys me too.

Hasney

Yeah, it's still not good enough. I just want to slide my hand in my pocket in the rain and skip forward or back easily and seek when I'm on a long train ride.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Lol wtf Android. For some reason it had put a .nl on my APN address rather than .se. Fixed that shit and my 3G (HSDPA+) went from taking ages to start streaming a song and never going above 360p on YouTube to:

eNtlwbx.png

I knew it wasn't just the fact that I don't have 4G no more. Now I can stream the stuff I want again :D. What a dumb thing to happen.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Lol wtf Android. For some reason it had put a .nl on my APN address rather than .se. Fixed that shit and my 3G (HSDPA+) went from taking ages to start streaming a song and never going above 360p on YouTube to:

eNtlwbx.png

I knew it wasn't just the fact that I don't have 4G no more. Now I can stream the stuff I want again :D. What a dumb thing to happen.

What carrier are you with? I'm with 3, haven't had any such issues.

Zeppu

So now I've spent a few days with Lollipop. I have the Nexus 5 and the Nexus 9. My opinion on the OS varies greatly between the performance on these two devices. The Nexus 5 is awesome. We did a test similar to what Ars did on the N6 review between a kitkat and lollipop N5 and the startup time for most apps is faster or as fast on Lollipop as on Kit-Kat. Pressing home is also very fast. Animations are smooth, everything is very snappy and is generally a delight to use. I can't honestly say I've seen any improvement in battery life. I know many of you swear to have seen drastic improvements in battery life but if there has been for me it's been negligible, the phone still have pretty poor battery life. But I've been used to it so it doesn't change my opinion one bit.

Then there's the Nexus 9. Oh god the Nexus 9. For starters, I refuse the believe any single person working on the Nexus 9 had used a Nexus 9 before it was released. There is no way anyone would've found the volume and power buttons worthy of release. Complete shit. If any self respecting engineer or product manager at HTC or Google had actually used the device they would've immediately rejected the thought of releasing a device with such buttons, something which really isn't rocket science to fix. More proof that no one had ever used a Nexus 9 before release is the OS. It's just ridiculously slow. Task switch takes ages. Stuttering is constant just after a few minutes of use. Sometimes I'm on Chrome and I click a youtube link or share to send to hangouts and it takes 1-2s to launch the app. Battery life when using Chrome is hilariously terrible. With animations off a Nexus 5 on both KitKat and Lollipop outperforms it on every single task.

Now I know what you'll be saying. There's an update coming soon which fixes these issues. Or that the N9 has device encryption and that's what causes the performance decrease. I don't care. That's not the point. I cannot believe that anyone actually used the device and found the state in which it was to be acceptable. They either have absolutely no pride in the product they're releasing or they just don't give a shit at all. Which is a great shame because as I have stated time and time again the Nexus 9 would've been a fantastic tablet if it weren't for these things. Sure, they might get fixed soon but I will criticize in the same way I criticized Apple on their iOS8 update fiasco and when game companies have massive release-day patches.

Their release was a full-on mess. Get your shit together. They didn't even hold an event so there was no reason to announce unfinished stuff. They could've just just put up the blog posts when they were happy with the hardware and software and then just say it's available tomorrow. What's the point of announcing stuff a month earlier just to fuck up the reviews which were all on unfinished software, have the play store run out of pre-orders in seconds, have the 4G version and tertiary colour unavailable and then have the device run on what is still unfinished software. Ridiculous.

Nexus 9 price point was funny before people discovered all the quality issues both hardware and software.

Then there's the Nexus 9. Oh god the Nexus 9. For starters, I refuse the believe any single person working on the Nexus 9 had used a Nexus 9 before it was released.
What's sad is that they probably did test it and thought "good enough". Which is worse in some ways.

I'd still buy a nex9 at $199. Same price HTC sold it for a week ago.

The focus on the iphone 6 is amazingly fast. You don't need some fancy ass sensor to do it. More expensive parts for no reason. Assuming it is more expensive.

Benedict

Looking more and more likely that a Samsung Galaxy Tab S is going to be the replacement for my N7 2012. Samsung is having a deal here in Sweden, where you get 6 month of Netflix for free with the purchase of a Galaxy Tab S device. Thats a very tempting offer.

Problem: Is really 16 gb enough, even when you have a 32gb or bigger sd-card installed?
Any reason why I should choose the 10.5 size instead of 8.4?

How long can I count for Samsung to upgrade the Android OS? 1,2,3 years?

Mindwipe

Is anyone else finding that since Lollipop their device will not register with Eclipse for development purposes?

I've updated everything I can think of, ADB will recognise the device, but when I try and run a test app the device just isn't present as an option.

Am I missing something obvious? Was Eclipse support quietly pulled?

Looking more and more likely that a Samsung Galaxy Tab S is going to be the replacement for my N7 2012. Samsung is having a deal here in Sweden, where you get 6 month of Netflix for free with the purchase of a Galaxy Tab S device. Thats a very tempting offer.

Problem: Is really 16 gb enough, even when you have a 32gb or bigger sd-card installed?

Get a 64gb card then?

No one really gives a shit about tablet OS updates honestly. I doubt anyone here followd oem updates to even know.

Sony should get their software in order for their cameras. Doubly shameful for them since they actually make cameras. Moto should get around to it as well.

Toki767

I think what I'm most annoyed about in stock Lollipop (aside from swiping twice just to get to your quick toggles) is that you can only swipe up to unlock the screen.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I think what I'm most annoyed about in stock Lollipop (aside from swiping twice just to get to your quick toggles) is that you can only swipe up to unlock the screen.

You don't need to swipe twice for quick toggles, you can just use a two finger swipe down straight to quick toggles instead.

18 months.

Drifters

Is anyone else finding that since Lollipop their device will not register with Eclipse for development purposes?

I've updated everything I can think of, ADB will recognise the device, but when I try and run a test app the device just isn't present as an option.

Am I missing something obvious? Was Eclipse support quietly pulled?
New SDK migrated away from eclipse I believe. Don't quote me on that.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Can you get rid of that notification shit? God damn wtf?

You mean the music controls? Don't know why you would want to, but I guess you could block Play Music notifications.

Or are you taking about lock screen notifications overall? Yeah, you can disable them.

How were quick settings any faster to get to in KK than they are now? You had to either swipe down with two fingers (which still works exactly the same), or swipe down with one finger and then tap the quick settings icon (which also still works the same, except that your tap target is now the entire top bar - or you can just swipe down again, which doesn't have to be from the top). So no, I don't see how it's any worse now. Personally, I use the two-finger swipe most of the time. Was pissed when the first L preview didn't have it, so glad they brought it back. You're right that it isn't really feasible with one hand, but in those cases the other methods work fine.

And I like that unlocking is done by swiping up, since that means I can just quickly swipe left from anywhere to get to the camera. I no longer have to make sure I'm doing it from the edge of the screen, like in KK.

Toki767

How were quick settings any faster to get to in KK than they are now? You had to either swipe down with two fingers (which still works exactly the same), or swipe down with one finger and then tap the quick settings icon (which also still works the same, except that your tap target is now the entire top bar - or you can just swipe down again, which doesn't have to be from the top). So no, I don't see how it's any worse now. Personally, I use the two-finger swipe most of the time. Was pissed when the first L preview didn't have it, so glad they brought it back. You're right that it isn't really feasible with one hand, but in those cases the other methods work fine.

And I like that unlocking is done by swiping up, since that means I can just quickly swipe left from anywhere to get to the camera. I no longer have to make sure I'm doing it from the edge of the screen, like in KK.

I mentioned stock for a reason. One of the places where I feel like OEMs did it better. One swipe down pulls down both notifications and quick settings.

Drifters

Think about it this way.....

The idea that the lock screen wasn't dealing with all notifications in kit Kat and just showing you the music is actually a limitation of the kit Kat OS. Now, background art and a card with controls at the top make more sense given that all notifications are showing on the lock screen. To me, kit Kat did a bad job of handling notifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom