• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

Think about it this way.....

The idea that the lock screen wasn't dealing with all notifications in kit Kat and just showing you the music is actually a limitation of the kit Kat OS. Now, background art and a card with controls at the top make more sense given that all notifications are showing on the lock screen. To me, kit Kat did a bad job of handling notifications.

I think about it in the way that my iPhone 4s did both and I'd rather have my music controls than anything. Plus, I had SMS notifications and just swiped across to see them.

NotBacon

Is anyone else finding that since Lollipop their device will not register with Eclipse for development purposes?

I've updated everything I can think of, ADB will recognise the device, but when I try and run a test app the device just isn't present as an option.

Am I missing something obvious? Was Eclipse support quietly pulled?

Get on the Android Studio train. Gradle is a godsend and Eclipse is a dinosaur.

NotBacon

Welp, seems like every person who's got their hands on a N6 says the screen is beautiful and like it a lot.

But screw that let's just go back to those benchmarks.

Jigolo

So yeah I couldn't wait, went ahead and flashed the OTA to my N5. Should I wipe my cache partition before I reboot? (I remember doing this when I was flashing new builds of CM11 on my Gnex)

Welp, seems like every person who's got their hands on a N6 says the screen is beautiful and like it a lot.

But screw that let's just go back to those benchmarks.
I held it for a couple minutes right next to other phones. It's not a bad screen at ALL. It's just not as good as other recent ones, including the nex5 lol. But again it's not a bad screen, it's good. Not as good though. For a phone in the same price range it's a bit disappointing to use last years tech especially considering this years tech could have led to even better battery.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I mentioned stock for a reason. One of the places where I feel like OEMs did it better. One swipe down pulls down both notifications and quick settings.

That looks too busy IMO. When I'm just dealing with notifications I don't need all those toggles there as well. And how would you even fit all the toggles there and still leave space for notifications? You'd have to do a scrolling toggle list like some OEMs do, I guess, and I think that's kind of awful. Google's solution is far more elegant, even if it does require an extra tap/swipe (unless you use two fingers).

I do however like the CM option where you can swipe down once from the far right on the notification bar to get right to quick settings.

Think about it this way.....

The idea that the lock screen wasn't dealing with all notifications in kit Kat and just showing you the music is actually a limitation of the kit Kat OS. Now, background art and a card with controls at the top make more sense given that all notifications are showing on the lock screen. To me, kit Kat did a bad job of handling notifications.

The controls notification isn't necessarily always at the top though. Stuff like this happens:

b8uj8.jpg

And to get that larger "card" with more controls in my last screenshot you have to expand the notification. What you normally see is what's in this screen.

tzare

I really love the possibility to pin an app in android lollipop, it is easy and amazing, my daughters have been playing with YouTube the last couple of hours without the risk of calling or sending a text to someone in my contact list .
However battery life so far ain't good, in fact I find it worse that before, I charged the phone this afternoon, unplugged it at 17h, and is now at 5% with 2:50h of screen time, most of it YouTube, and a few photos taken 20 or so. A bit disappointing.

Bte, i think Note 4 may get a boost when receives Android L, because now that i remember stillnruns dalvik, as art doesn't work properly on it, crashes and weird bugs still happen.

Groof

I really love the possibility to pin an app in android lollipop, it is easy and amazing, my daughters have been playing with YouTube the last couple of hours without the risk of calling or sending a text to someone in my contact list .
However battery life so far ain't good, in fact I find it worse that before, I charged the phone this afternoon, unplugged it at 17h, and is now at 5% with 2:50h of screen time, most of it YouTube, and a few photos taken 20 or so. A bit disappointing.

Which phone?

My nexus 5 battery went to absolute shit exactly how tzare is describing. I ended up giving the phone to someone and he reflashed it or flashed another ROM I don't know but he said it went back to normal afterwards.

Though mine went to shit before lollipop. It was after a random 4.something update.

Bri

So it seems N5 still is shit? I was THIS (you see how close that is) close to bying one before reading the latest pages here.

I read somewhere that Nexus 5 has problems dealing with Lollipop due to the low RAM. Is this also true?

yyzjohn

Banned
So it seems N5 still is shit? I was THIS (you see how close that is) close to bying one before reading the latest pages here.

I read somewhere that Nexus 5 has problems dealing with Lollipop due to the low RAM. Is this also true?

What N5 problems with Lollipop? The Nexus 5 runs it better than the Nexus 6 it seems. I don't notice a difference in battery life, for my usage it's pretty much the same as when I was on KitKat.

NotBacon

It was never shit before. But after the Lollipop update the reception is ranging from "utter shit" to the 2nd coming of Jesus.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
On a super early version of lollipop on my OPO battery life seems the same to me.

I am currently sitting at 71% with 1hr50m sot and off charger for 5 hours.

The battery usage screen is screwy for me. All the percentages are super low and my browser is the top drain, which is basically impossible.

I assume this is just because of the Super alpha version of the rom though.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member

Huh?

Mine has been fine, in fact it runs really damn smoothly on the N5.

malyce

On a super early version of lollipop on my OPO battery life seems the same to me.

The battery usage screen is screwy for me. All the percentages are super low and my browser is the top drain, which is basically impossible.

Yup. Try to stay away from roms till they're stable.

I'll happily stay on KK for another few weeks till stable roms start rolling out. I have 5.0 installed on an N4 and it's just pretty and colorful, but that's about it. Really not worth the hassle at this stage.

Huh?

Mine has been fine, in fact it runs really damn smoothly on the N5.
Yeah I don't get the performance issues some people are having with the N5 when the N4 runs 5.0 buttery smooth.

Clean flash ftw.

Guys I need some help. Here's my situation:

I have a 5.2gb DMG of OSX Yosemite on my nexus 5 that I need to transfer somehow to my work computer so I can create a bootable drive of Yosemite. This computer is connected to the internet through ethernet (wifi not possible), and my nexus 5 is connected to it through USB. I can't use Android File Transfer because of the 4gb file transfer limit. I've tried Dropbox but the download quits and starts over before finishing, and Drive is stuck on "Waiting to Upload".

Are there any applications or methods of transferring this 5.2gb file through USB to this computer? I'm at my wit's end trying to figure this out.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yup. Try to stay away from roms till they're stable.

I'll happily stay on KK for another few weeks till stable roms start rolling out. I have 5.0 installed on an N4 and it's just pretty and colorful, but that's about it. Really not worth the hassle at this stage.

Yeah I don't get the performance issues some people are having with the N5 when the N4 runs 5.0 buttery smooth.

Clean flash ftw.

Yeah i am not too worried about the few oddities i am getting. I like being on the ground floor of a new version and seeing the big improvements with each new update. Most everything works did me anyway.

Drifters

That looks too busy IMO. When I'm just dealing with notifications I don't need all those toggles there as well. And how would you even fit all the toggles there and still leave space for notifications? You'd have to do a scrolling toggle list like some OEMs do, I guess, and I think that's kind of awful. Google's solution is far more elegant, even if it does require an extra tap/swipe (unless you use two fingers).

I do however like the CM option where you can swipe down once from the far right on the notification bar to get right to quick settings.

The controls notification isn't necessarily always at the top though. Stuff like this happens:

And to get that larger "card" with more controls in my last screenshot you have to expand the notification. What you normally see is what's in this screen.
Dude... You're not picking me to death. :). Its usually in top due to it be "active". But yes if you're doing something else as well it moves down.

naw mine def got messed up due to an update. I just never bothered factory resetting or reflashing to fix it. Before then the only knock I'd put on the nexus 5 was average battery and average camera in normal conditions (very good with lots of light though).

NotBacon

I have a 5.2gb DMG of OSX Yosemite on my nexus 5 that I need to transfer somehow to my work computer so I can create a bootable drive of Yosemite. This computer is connected to the internet through ethernet (wifi not possible), and my nexus 5 is connected to it through USB. I can't use Android File Transfer because of the 4gb file transfer limit. I've tried Dropbox but the download quits and starts over before finishing, and Drive is stuck on "Waiting to Upload".

Are there any applications or methods of transferring this 5.2gb file through USB to this computer? I'm at my wit's end trying to figure this out.

Have you tried adb pull?

After recognition through adb:

Code:
adb pull /sdcard/path/to/file.dmg C:\path\to\destination

Jigolo

Here are some preliminary battery tests for my N10 from first day of using Lollipop. Unplugged at ~63% and purposely tried to run it down. Constantly finicking with 5.0 testing features, lots of youtube, watched 2 episodes of anime on Crunchyroll, reddit is fun, and browsing chrome constantly. Here's what I got:

General:

Started "battery saver" mode at 14% just to try it out

SoT:

5hr15min from ~60% is really good. So battery is better than what it was on KitKat. I'm digging Lollipop a lot.

EDIT- Bonus:
WHAT'S THIS SONG

This change had me laughing.

Toki767

I wonder what they did to get Android OS/Android System to go under 15-20% now. That must have been a bug in the battery sharing information in KitKat right?

Jigolo

I wonder what they did to get Android OS/Android System to go under 15-20% now. That must have been a bug in the battery sharing information in KitKat right?

I never had that issue on KitKat but in a lot of the recent flagship reviews I've been seeing it really high. No reviewer even seems to notice and I think it's affecting battery life.

Nicktendo86

Theres plenty of information out there on how to fix this.

Not sure why people still don't understand a factory reset is a must with new operating systems.
There is no permanent fix with this though is there? Perhaps you could share if there is?

I did do a factory reset BTW.

npa189

So I haven't read/seen all the Nexus 6 reviews, but was Ars the only one to point out slow memory? part of me just can't believe it.

NotBacon

So I haven't read/seen all the Nexus 6 reviews, but was Ars the only one to point out slow memory? part of me just can't believe it.

Pretty much. Many think it's related to the system encryption. Google said the performance issues related to the encryption are not normal though, so we'll see what happens...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

I'm

Next time use the program airdroid it can do transfers over the web and not just over your local network.

Sorry I was slow on the reply to busy making BBQ

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Hmm, what? Don't know what you're talking about. The N5 absolutely doesn't have any problems dealing with Lollipop, the experience of using the phone has literally never been smoother. Anyone is experiencing bad performance must have a bad flash/update.

As for battery life, I've regularly been getting around 5h of SoT with medium use, sometimes even more. And sometimes a bit less, of course, depending on what I've been doing. I don't know if that's exactly amazing, but I wouldn't call it shit either.

I think I'm just going to wait until the official CM nightlies come. Have you run any benchmarks? Would like to know the difference between L and Kitkat.

HGStormy

Banned
Sooo that HTC One M8 I got from the hot deals shipped...
... and promptly got either stolen by the driver or delivered to the wrong house.

kms

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Nah, not a benchmark guy. Feels fine though.

I am on pace for an extra hour of sot versus my normal usage though, assuming the percentage is correct.

I usually get 5hrs sot with brightness at auto and everything on and syncing, so Bluetooth, WiFi, gps etc. And i use data nearly the entire time.

So getting 6 is a nice improvement if it holds up.

Piano

Banned
What launcher should I use on my Droid Turbo?
The default / Google Now launcher would be perfect if I could hide apps.
Is there a launcher that has the left page Google Now but allows one to hide apps?

I've used Nova for the past few years but comparing it side by side with Google it has a noticeable lag when scrolling through the app drawer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom