• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

malyce

Nah, not a benchmark guy. Feels fine though.

I am on pace for an extra hour of sot versus my normal usage though, assuming the percentage is correct.

I usually get 5hrs sot with brightness at auto and everything on and syncing, so Bluetooth, WiFi, gps etc. And i use data nearly the entire time.

So getting 6 is a nice improvement if it holds up.

That's a bit on the low side for the OPO. Do you game on your phone a lot?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What launcher should I use on my Droid Turbo?
The default / Google Now launcher would be perfect if I could hide apps.
Is there a launcher that has the left page Google Now but allows one to hide apps?

I've used Nova for the past few years but comparing it side by side with Google it has a noticeable lag when scrolling through the app drawer.

Well, you can deactivate apps no matter what launcher you use, and then they won't show up in the app drawer.

Quixzlizx

So my n4 became boiling hot and shut down after I updated. It seems OK now, though.

How do you add contacts to your priority contacts list?

NotBacon

Does Lollipop add support for disabling any app? I know there are certain coughVERIZONcough apps that just can't be disabled in Settings. Does this change in Lollipop?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There are a few I unfortunately can't deactivate. And then there are the annoying extra icons, like Photos from Google+

Photos is the de facto main photo app now though, Gallery is dead. So I'm not sure I would call it an "extra" icon. But sure, I get your point.

Does Lollipop add support for disabling any app? I know there are certain coughVERIZONcough apps that just can't be disabled in Settings. Does this change in Lollipop?

Ah, carrier bloat... Don't have any of that, so don't know!

Rengoku

Followed every step to root my Nexus 5....still not rooted. Okay...

Fuck you Lollipop.

What method did you use? I was having trouble rooting my Nexus 5 too, it kept saying "SU binaries not installed". Turns out I had to install the chainfire modified kernel then SuperSU through TWRP recovery in order for root to stick.

HGStormy

Banned
Gawd the HTC M8 is sexy *-* the one I got from the hot deals is pretty obviously either a returned unit or a refurb, as it has some scratches and a stuck pixel, but it's still awesome.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Is there an app that roots your phone as easily as toweroot? I checked their website, but it seems the apk was taken down. Thanks.

Edit- Guess towelroot doesn't support N4.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I think I'm just going to wait until the official CM nightlies come. Have you run any benchmarks? Would like to know the difference between L and Kitkat.

I'm running the same ROM from XDA presumably. I'm actually quite surprised how stable it is. Without question, it is more stable than 33R and 38R had been on my OPO. I did have to make two minor tweaks to get rid of the capacitive buttons and replace them with onscreen keys, but it took very little effort. There's already been a couple of updates to the ROM addressing issues as well.

Antutu score is 47k.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I'm running the same ROM from XDA presumably. I'm actually quite surprised how stable it is. Without question, it is more stable than 33R and 38R had been on my OPO. I did have to make two minor tweaks to get rid of the capacitive buttons and replace them with onscreen keys, but it took very little effort. There's already been a couple of updates to the ROM addressing issues as well.

Antutu score is 47k.

I am using K900s build, version 4.

So uhm... is the updated Google Agenda app any good? I've been using the stock calendar (S Calendar) on my Galaxy since I had it, but I was thinking about either switching to the Google one or the Cal app by Any.do.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So uhm... is the updated Google Agenda app any good? I've been using the stock calendar (S Calendar) on my Galaxy since I had it, but I was thinking about either switching to the Google one or the Cal app by Any.do.
Try Today Calendar.

Dre

Is Google's 2-step verification not compatible with older Android versions? I've just enabled it and logged in on my KitKat smartphone without any problems but for the life of me didn't manage to do so on my fairly old secondary device which runs on Gingerbread 2.3.7

Groof

No, Photos. Yes, it's pretty much part of G+, but it's not like you actually have to use the G+ app. Photos is its own thing, just very connected to G+ (because that's where your photos are stored).
Actually, the Photos app used to be a part of the G+ app. In Lollipop it was decoupled and made into its own. However the G+ connection is still very much required, but I think they're moving towards removing that.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Actually, the Photos app used to be a part of the G+ app. In Lollipop it was decoupled and made into its own. However the G+ connection is still very much required, but I think they're moving towards removing that.

Yep, I know they used to be one and the same, just with different entry points. But as you say, Photos is now its own thing, and doesn't seem as closely coupled with G+ anymore. It doesn't even say "Google+" in the automatic backup settings anymore, it's just "Google Photos" now. But yes, G+ is still required for syncing photos.

What happens if you open the app without being logged into a Google/G+ account? Does it refuse? Can't be used as just an offline gallery?

tzare

Will flash again 4.4 on my nexus 5, lock bootloader, root, untamper it, wait for OTA (is it already available for nexus 5, isn't it)and if battery issues still there ask for a replacement or whatever google can do.

Sch1sm

Will flash again 4.4 on my nexus 5, lock bootloader, root, untamper it, wait for OTA (is it already available for nexus 5, isn't it)and if battery issues still there ask for a replacement or whatever google can do.

You might end up waiting a little bit for the OTA.

Mindwipe

New SDK migrated away from eclipse I believe. Don't quote me on that.

I can't really see anything that states that officially online, but Android Studio did work, so maybe it's true.

The migration process, combined with dev environment I had never used before, was a bit of a hassle for the use case though (I needed to update a single PNG for provisioning to a device, which ended up taking four hours).

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So my old ass phone has taken to hard locking into a reboot once a day. Usually it's right when I'm about to hit post to reply to one of you assholes! LoL

You can add that to the list of bad battery, 10 fps animations, meh camera etc...

The wait for 2015 phones is gonna be something fierce for me! Fuck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom