• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotBacon

Forgiveness please, my Nexus 6 flag-bearing brethren. Adulthood and responsibilities got the better of me, thus I had to cancel my pre-order.

However, I have not left empty handed. For I am now a proud owner of this:

*lowers Nexus 6 flag to half-mast*

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If I actually see one in real life I'll be pleasantly surprised. But yeah, I meant us cave dwellers on GAF.

Gotta step up your game bro

Trying to hold out for the M9 with an 810 proc. Fuck this is hard tho.

Not Bacon shares my pain for now. The rest of you probably think I'm a TPain Doge with this old ass POS phone.

Oh wow, watch out what you ask for.

Shortly after my post earlier I got the OTA, installed and it runs like absolute shit on my Nexus 5. Slow, sluggish, stuttering, apps slow to open, getting the "working" circling animation when trying to open things. What a fucking disaster.

Groof

*lowers Nexus 6 flag to half-mast*

revEvvO.gif

Oh wow, watch out what you ask for.

Shortly after my post earlier I got the OTA, installed and it runs like absolute shit on my Nexus 5. Slow, sluggish, stuttering, apps slow to open, getting the "working" circling animation when trying to open things. What a fucking disaster.

Factory reset nub.

Factory reset nub.

Right, but why? Why should users have to go through that tedious process just to deal with an update. And how can I be sure I won't lose something along the way?

It's a headache I don't want. I've had a Nexus One, a 4 and a 5 but this is it for me. Fucking amateur hour with these updates.

Vanillalite

Welp. Looks like the Nexus 6 brightness fiasco is over:

Guy said he got an update just after receiving his N6 and immediately saw it was way brighter than the display models in store. Next to an iPhone 5(s?) with both at max brightness:

relevant thread

Pretty much directly contradicts the Anand findings that it's only half as bright:

Maybe Anand forgot to turn off Adaptive Brightness?

Bonus data.

If anything this is squarely on Google not having fucking Android L ready to go when they sent out review units vs scrambling to fix all kinds of shit at the 11th hour.

Welp. Looks like the Nexus 6 brightness fiasco is over:

Guy said he got an update just after receiving his N6 and immediately saw it was way brighter than the display models in store. Next to an iPhone 5(s?) with both at max brightness:

relevant thread

Pretty much directly contradicts the Anand findings that it's only half as bright:

Maybe Anand forgot to turn off Adaptive Brightness?

Bonus data courtesy of Wreav.

maybe Google forgot to give reviewers a time machine?

kehs

Banned
Right, but why? Why should users have to go through that tedious process just to deal with an update. And how can I be sure I won't lose something along the way?

It's a headache I don't want. I've had a Nexus One, a 4 and a 5 but this is it for me. Fucking amateur hour with these updates.

Try doing a cache clear.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
If anything this is squarely on Google not having fucking Android L ready to go when they sent out review units vs scrambling to fix all kinds of shit at the 11th hour.
From what I've been told the N6 was supposed to have Qualcomm's new 64 bit processor but they ended up getting an awful yield from that chip so they had to cobble the N6 together with the 805 and rush it out the door at the last minute essentially.

They should have just delayed it.

Vanillalite

From what I've been told the N6 was supposed to have Qualcomm's new 64 bit processor but they ended up getting an awful yield from that chip so they had to cobble the N6 together with the 805 and rush it out the door at the last minute essentially.

They should have just delayed it.

Eh I don't think the 810 was made to be ready this early. I could be wrong though.

I still go back to my theory that Android was rushed as they had to launch it with a Nexus device like always, but they weren't intending on a new nexus device this year because of Android Silver. Then shit got rushed when that caved.

Toki767

Eh I don't think the 810 was made to be ready this early. I could be wrong though.

I still go back to my theory that Android was rushed as they had to launch it with a Nexus device like always, but they weren't intending on a new nexus device this year because of Android Silver. Then shit got rushed when that caved.

It's possible though. If you recall, the Nexus 4 launched with a then brand new S4 Pro CPU after everything else was using the S4.

I'm not sure the 810 will even be ready by Q1 next year. Kind of thinking the next Samsung phone may not even have it.

thuway

So am I reading this right? The new update improves brightness and Anand forgot to turn off adaptive brightness? C'mon Googs.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
It's possible though. If you recall, the Nexus 4 launched with a then brand new S4 Pro CPU after everything else was using the S4.

I'm not sure the 810 will even be ready by Q1 next year. Kind of thinking the next Samsung phone may not even have it.

Well, from what I hear, the 810 production got a 0% yield so yeah it might get delayed lol

Hylian7

So I just saw the OTA Lollipop show up on my N5. I read about how the OTA version won't install on rooted phones. Is that true? If so, what are my options? Is it best to best to just back up and restore with stock Lollipop, then root?

Vanillalite

LG had the Optimus G out before technically. Plus it was more or of a remix on the CPU side of things.

Toki767

LG had the Optimus G out before technically. Plus it was more or of a remix on the CPU side of things.

They were out about a week or two of each other right? I know the Nexus 4 was shown off late October though and everyone at the time was surprised that it had the S4 Pro.

malyce

From the looks of it, the N7 and the Note 5 may be the only phones that launch with 20nm SoCs next year due to their late cycle.

Nicktendo86

So I installed the new play services on my n4 and n7 earlier and that enabled location smart lock on my n4 but not the n7. Just looked and it is now on my n7 so google much have switched something on server side for tablets.

Bri

Forgiveness please, my Nexus 6 flag-bearing brethren. Adulthood and responsibilities got the better of me, thus I had to cancel my pre-order.

However, I have not left empty handed. For I am now a proud owner of this:

That thing is beautiful. I hope I can join the N5 family soon.

thuway

I took some comparison pics of the Nexus 6 and Note 3s display. Both phones are at their max brightness. The Nexus 6 has adaptive display OFF. The Note 3 is in Standard mode with power saving off.

The phones are running in their respective mode to acheive maximum brightness.

yqoKoPj.jpg

thuway

Perhaps you should take the screen protector off of the Note
Edit: nevermind, thught it was a Note 4.

No it's a Note 3 and it's one of those super "clear" ones, it wouldn't make a considerable difference. I took the picture with a Note 3 as well, this time without a protector. In any case, the Nexus 6 has a much better screen than any of you have been led to believe.

The Note 4 was on the other side of the store, so I couldn't do a direct comparison, but to be perfectly frank, the 6 inch screen's wow factor trumped whatever advantage the Note 4's had.

I just want to put it bluntly, the Nexus 6 is bright enough to make your eyes hurt in a normal room.

My sister just got the Lollipop ota on her 2012 N7. It's much smoother in person than it is in some of the YouTube videos I saw. I'm actually surprised how well it runs considering how crap the Tegra 3 is.

thuway

Anyway the whole point of posting these images is to dispel whatever brightness bullshit has been floating around. Adaptive Brightness On, however, does kill 30% of brightness and it looks considerably more dim.

Also the speakers are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

thuway

Oh and here's a comparison of the Note 3 Max Brightness with the Nexus 6 with Adaptive Brightness On.

TL;DR: Adaptive Brightness makes the Nexus 6 super dim, and Anandtech most likely didn't bother turning it off. It operates independantly from the brightness slider.

cZbOhOA.jpg

it's how Android is attempting to make way into the tablet market. By turning every single phone into one.

I think is the normal progression. Smartphones keep growing while tablets have peaked already. Consumers aren't going to buy 2 products when they can get one to provide equal functionality.

I think is the normal progression. Smartphones keep growing while tablets have peaked already. Consumers aren't going to buy 2 products when they can get one to provide equal functionality.
yeah it'll be interesting when the iphone 9+ takes over the 9.7inch ipad air. Android will probably reach that in 2016.

The nexus 2015 will be called the nexus 7 and it'll be the same hardware with a mic and radios.

RedFyn

they should actually try it with their Nexus 6 charger since Qualcomm's site says otherwise about the SoC. email them!
Maybe they did Idk. And just because Qualcomm makes it available doesn't mean the the manufacturer takes advantage of it. So the fact that the chip supports it isn't proof that the phone does.

Definitely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom