• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have some small hands thuway. I would've man handled that Note 4. It's time for the 6 ft and over master race to establish ourselves as the next iteration of humans
lol

yeah it'll be interesting when the iphone 9+ takes over the 9.7inch ipad air. Android will probably reach that in 2016.

The nexus 2015 will be called the nexus 7 and it'll be the same hardware with a mic and radios.

Nah, Apple will just mini'd the Air until it completes is sell out of parts and inventory while the 6+ becomes the base and the iphone 7 starts is march to dominance.

co1onel

Welp. Looks like the Nexus 6 brightness fiasco is over:

Guy said he got an update just after receiving his N6 and immediately saw it was way brighter than the display models in store. Next to an iPhone 5(s?) with both at max brightness:

relevant thread

Pretty much directly contradicts the Anand findings that it's only half as bright:

Maybe Anand forgot to turn off Adaptive Brightness?

Bonus data courtesy of Wreav.

No way these findings are accurate. I compared my nexus 5 on full brightness to all 3 of the iphone 5's in my house and my nexus is noticeably brighter.

edit: maybe the iphones had adaptive brightness on?

Talon

Who am I going to believe - some numbnut on a board or Anandtech?

Did you really just accuse Anandtech - who literally tears into SoC architectures in every major phone review - of not knowing about a software setting? Are you daft?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
By just restarting the phone? I tried that. If there's another method I can't find it in 5.0...

No, cached app data persists through reboots. You can clear it by going to Settings > Storage > Cached Data. Tap that, and it will ask if you want to delete all cached data. You won't lose anything, apps will just have to re-cache their data the next time you start them. Don't know if this will fix your problem, but it's worth a try.

So I just saw the OTA Lollipop show up on my N5. I read about how the OTA version won't install on rooted phones. Is that true? If so, what are my options? Is it best to best to just back up and restore with stock Lollipop, then root?

If it's just rooted I believe the update will go through fine. Not if you've changed anything in the system though. At least that's how it has been in the past, but if what you're saying is true I guess they might have made it even stricter (probably because it's a major update, if so).

Oh and here's a comparison of the Note 3 Max Brightness with the Nexus 6 with Adaptive Brightness On.

TL;DR: Adaptive Brightness makes the Nexus 6 super dim, and Anandtech most likely didn't bother turning it off. It operates independantly from the brightness slider.

http://i.imgur.com/cZbOhOA.jpg?1

It's not independent from the brightness slider like the old automatic brightness was. Adaptive brightness uses the slider setting as a base brightness of sorts, and adjusts around that depending on the ambient lighting.

NotBacon

Who am I going to believe - some numbnut on a board or Anandtech?

Did you really just accuse Anandtech - who literally tears into SoC architectures in every major phone review - of not knowing about a software setting? Are you daft?

Dude. The proof is in the pudding. Put down your pitchfork.

My Note 2 has been eligible for the 2 year upgrade from AT&T, but after going through all of the available phone options, there really isn't anything that I found particularly attractive to upgrade to.

Battery life is very important to me so I want it to be at least as good as my Note 2 (which can still last me 2 full days, even after owning it for 2 years). The Moto X looked and felt great to me, and I like a lot of its features, but it's battery and camera seemed too "meh" for me (and I doubt the Lollipop battery and camera updates will help THAT much, but I'd be happy to be wrong). Plus the lack of removable battery and expandable memory is not great.

The HTC One M8 seemed really good, but I'd prefer to have a removable battery. And when I played with it at a store, I found it to have a lot of wasted space, like it should be a lot smaller for the screen size it has. But I do like the front facing speakers, I'd love a phone with that and I'm happy more phones are doing that (HTC One, Moto X, Nexus 6).

I was almost sold on buying an LG G3 today because it seemed like it had everything I wanted: good screen decent battery, nice big screen, loud speakerphone removeable battery, and expandable memory, AND Amazon has it for $0.01 with the 2 year upgrade. But when I played with it in a store today, I really didn't like it much. It felt cheap and the screen didn't impress me half as much as I thought it would based on it's resolution. Maybe it's that I'm used to AMOLED screens (my last 2 phones had them), but I think the new iPhones had great screens too, so maybe not.

The Note 4 seems great, but it's out of my price range at the moment. I wish I had jumped on that Best Buy preorder deal when I had the chance, but I always wait for reviews and impressions before buying most things anymore. If I had the money I'd probably have gone with it or the new iPhone since they were the only phones that have impressed me lately.

I finally just decided to hold off for a few more months to see what else comes out. My Note 2 still runs all the games I tend to play and has a great battery life so I'm not really desperate for a new one right now.

tzare

So I just saw the OTA Lollipop show up on my N5. I read about how the OTA version won't install on rooted phones. Is that true? If so, what are my options? Is it best to best to just back up and restore with stock Lollipop, then root?
I have updated my nexus 5 via OTA after installing 4.4 via adb, rooting, locking bootloader and untampering it. It updated 4 times, to 4.4.2, 4.4.3, 4.4.4 and finally Lollipop, all the via OTA and no issues. I didn't modify anything though, just rooted because it was necessary to use bootunlocker.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Hey guys, little help here? I bumblefucked my way into rooting my Nexus 4, and I installed the Mako Custom kk44 ROM on it in hopes of overclocking it a bit. Now, what do I do to overclock it?

So I'm kind of a babe in the woods here, but I see nothing new in my settings, I see no kooky new, shady apps that might let me adjust my CPU or GPU. What gives? I'm sorry for asking such dumb, basic shit but I'd just love to overclock my phone but it's rapidly getting to be too much bullshit.

Please tell me I'm one or two simple-assed steps away or I'm just gonna upend the tea table and say "Fuck it".

Jigolo

My Note 2 has been eligible for the 2 year upgrade from AT&T, but after going through all of the available phone options, there really isn't anything that I found particularly attractive to upgrade to.

Battery life is very important to me so I want it to be at least as good as my Note 2 (which can still last me 2 full days, even after owning it for 2 years). The Moto X looked and felt great to me, and I like a lot of its features, but it's battery and camera seemed too "meh" for me (and I doubt the Lollipop battery and camera updates will help THAT much, but I'd be happy to be wrong). Plus the lack of removable battery and expandable memory is not great.

The HTC One M8 seemed really good, but I'd prefer to have a removable battery. And when I played with it at a store, I found it to have a lot of wasted space, like it should be a lot smaller for the screen size it has. But I do like the front facing speakers, I'd love a phone with that and I'm happy more phones are doing that (HTC One, Moto X, Nexus 6).

I was almost sold on buying an LG G3 today because it seemed like it had everything I wanted: good screen decent battery, nice big screen, loud speakerphone removeable battery, and expandable memory, AND Amazon has it for $0.01 with the 2 year upgrade. But when I played with it in a store today, I really didn't like it much. It felt cheap and the screen didn't impress me half as much as I thought it would based on it's resolution. Maybe it's that I'm used to AMOLED screens (my last 2 phones had them), but I think the new iPhones had great screens too, so maybe not.

The Note 4 seems great, but it's out of my price range at the moment. I wish I had jumped on that Best Buy preorder deal when I had the chance, but I always wait for reviews and impressions before buying most things anymore. If I had the money I'd probably have gone with it or the new iPhone since they were the only phones that have impressed me lately.

I finally just decided to hold off for a few more months to see what else comes out. My Note 2 still runs all the games I tend to play and has a great battery life so I'm not really desperate for a new one right now.
Good choice. I'd wait till next year for a new android phone. Where we'll get a plethora of 64-bit chips, 20nm chips, we'll probably be on 5.0.2, reversible charging cables and the adoption of material design is literally a million times faster than Holo so we'll have more optimized apps.

I actually haven't read anything about any apps taking advantage of 64-bit yet, though.

Groof

Hey guys, little help here? I bumblefucked my way into rooting my Nexus 4, and I installed the Mako Custom kk44 ROM on it in hopes of overclocking it a bit. Now, what do I do to overclock it?

So I'm kind of a babe in the woods here, but I see nothing new in my settings, I see no kooky new, shady apps that might let me adjust my CPU or GPU. What gives? I'm sorry for asking such dumb, basic shit but I'd just love to overclock my phone but it's rapidly getting to be too much bullshit.

Please tell me I'm one or two simple-assed steps away or I'm just gonna upend the tea table and say "Fuck it".
Please sir, think of the tea tables. They do not deserve this.

Now, are you sure you haven't missed installing some app they require? Either that or maybe it came with a custom recovery menu where you can access that from.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Good choice. I'd wait till next year for a new android phone. Where we'll get a plethora of 64-bit chips, 20nm chips, we'll probably be on 5.0.2, reversible charging cables and the adoption of material design is literally a million times faster than Holo so we'll have more optimized apps.

I actually haven't read anything about any apps taking advantage of 64-bit yet, though.

They don't have to seeing as how shit runs in Android and it's all in this weird virtual machine space. While that originally was a big knock cause you felt no native performance it's a plus side now. Art is 64 bit runtime out the door with 5.0 so you just have to compile.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Please sir, think of the tea tables. They do not deserve this.

Now, are you sure you haven't missed installing some app they require? Either that or maybe it came with a custom recovery menu where you can access that from.

I appreciate the response. I'm currently going through everything with a fine-toothed comb. I'll admit that I'm quite confused on what all this is. When I say I sort of bumbled my way up to this point I sincerely meant it. This is like the time I tried using Puppy Linux :(

Jigolo

They don't have to seeing as how shit runs in Android and it's all in this weird virtual machine space. While that originally was a big knock cause you felt no native performance it's a plus side now. Art is 64 bit runtime out the door with 5.0 so you just have to compile.
Ohhh interesting.

Groof

I appreciate the response. I'm currently going through everything with a fine-toothed comb. I'll admit that I'm quite confused on what all this is. When I say I sort of bumbled my way up to this point I sincerely meant it. This is like the time I tried using Puppy Linux :(
It's always difficult the first go round. Many things to keep track of and you get impatient when things don't work as you want them to.
Don't worry though, you'll find out what the deal is sooner or later. Just... Don't hurt the tea tables.

NH Apache

Banned

I am in this boat as well. Truly must go down as one of the best phones ever. I was so set on getting a Z3/Note 4 for a while until life set in and the money set aside had to go to house projects.

Now it looks like late Q1 will be the next set of phones. I think the Note 2 will easily last until then. For now, I keep peeking at XDA to see who is going to release the first decent 5.0 rom. Until then, Paranoid is still going strong.

Also, related, a couple of pages back I was having issues wilh Chrome only opening windowed on the phone. After some serious searching and using the Google forums, I found that I needed a module for Xposed "XHaloFloatingWindow" and had to blacklist all apps, which then forced chrome to utilize full screen again. Much, much better now.

reKon

Banned
Android L is so nice on my Nexus 7. It's actually making me want to flash my Z3C to stock 5.0. Too bad the camera will suffer.

Horseticuffs is an awesome name and bumblefucked is an awesome word. Thank you for the early morning laugh.

Zeppu

Oh, that's pretty cool. I'll install that when I get home.
spoiler

Try the
if you want a sexier material-ish experience. Chrome on windows is a bitch to install non-store extensions though, so, yeah. And follow the (very short) tutorial!

Dammit I'm doing it again.

Any one of you lot want an Inbox invite?

or beta test music bubbles?
I would like a spoiler please if you have any left

Lollipop on Sense 6/ the One M8 looks pretty good btw.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/11/1...orted-one-m8-running-android-5-0-and-sense-6/

Sense-Android-5.0-Lollipop.jpg

Wreav

Banned
Gotta say, Sense is kinda killing it. Looks great (for a skin). I can appreciate the lack of blinding pure white that stock Lolli has.

Toki767

Sense 6 with Lollipop looks nice. Kind of disappointing to see that they skipped out on the colored bars for cards in the app switcher.

Got 4
inbox invites
left. PM me your email if you want.

WHY ARE THE HTC SENSE QUICK SETTINGS SHOUTING AT ME AL...
I have inbox already thanks though. I thought the music bubbles needs an invite too?

I think you can decrease the font size on the HTC.

Edit: and thanks for the bubbles tip!

Zeppu

I have inbox already thanks though. I thought the music bubbles needs an invite too?

I think you can decrease the font size on the HTC.

Actually, I just realized that the beta program thingy only works before you first publish your extension., not like Android apps where you can join groups. So, yeah, nevermind :(
I'm gonna publish it soon.

Toki767

I only really see 2 things that are super offensive in that video. The color scheme they use for toggles and that gigantic quick toggle window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom