• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya'll give Samsung too much hate.

What would you do, when the alternative to creating a skin was to use this:

Froyo-home-screen.jpg

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ya'll give Samsung too much hate.

What would you do, when the alternative to creating a skin was to use this:

Froyo-home-screen.jpg

There may have been a time when TouchWiz (if it was called that back then) was slightly better looking than stock, but those days are long, long gone.

Zeppu

I said before and I'll say it again. HTC Sense was what made Android appealing to me back in 2009. Pretty much everything was better. The skin, the homescreen, the keyboard, everything. Even the notification shade was incredibly better. I can't believe how long it took Google to get rid of that ugly white gradient and those horrendous icons.

Skins can be good. The problem is when the skin is too busy, inconsistent or just plain ugly.

Drifters

I said before and I'll say it again. HTC Sense was what made Android appealing to me back in 2009. Pretty much everything was better. The skin, the homescreen, the keyboard, everything.

Skins can be good. The problem is when the skin is too busy, inconsistent or just plain ugly.

Skins are fine--- when they become a problem is when they hold back system updates. However... TouchWiz has no excuses.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I said before and I'll say it again. HTC Sense was what made Android appealing to me back in 2009. Pretty much everything was better. The skin, the homescreen, the keyboard, everything. Even the notification shade was incredibly better. I can't believe how long it took Google to get rid of that ugly white gradient and those horrendous icons.

Skins have improved certain aspects of the UX in the past, absolutely. Stock Android was pretty shit back in the day. But now? Maybe a useful feature here and there, but in general stock Android is now so great that most changes to it are for the worse.

JoeFu

Banned
Finely updated my Nexus 5 to lollipop and it's pretty awesome. Loving it so far! Really love how smooth it is and the animations are really nice.

Why is Xposed bad?
Because you know, your typical Xposed users are like your average consumers. They need hand holding and can’t help themselves from installing some obscure closed source modules instead of sticking to generally well-known shit. Hence, bad for everybody duh!

you need root for Xposed. stock shouldn't be rooted, its perfect!
Haha, yup! I bet these people are in favour of stamping root privileges too, because you know, stock is perfect and root users need to be protected from themselves. Makes you wonder sometimes why these people don’t just fuck off to Apple. Then they can save themselves the grief of going on like a parrot about how OEMs are depriving good folk everywhere of the privilege of some butt ugly standard look and feel.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Holy balls, I've been kind of off put by rooting due to warranty issues, but it seems you can root it in EU and still keep your warranty intact. Time to sort this RAM issue out then. (Since KitKat the MotoG flushes apps out of the ram if it goes under 300, used to be if it went under 100 and RAM seems to generally hover around 400-300 free. So apps tend to forcequit a lot.

Mindwipe

Haha, yup! I bet these people are in favour of stamping root privileges too, because you know, stock is perfect and root users need to be protected from themselves. Makes you wonder sometimes why these people don’t just fuck off to Apple. Then they can save themselves the grief of going on like a parrot about how OEMs are depriving good folk everywhere of the privilege of some butt ugly standard look and feel.

Yup. I think Root isn't the answer for everyone and everything, because it does introduce potential holes in a system that's not set up for if you don't know what you're doing, and because it breaks some mainstream applications (video streaming ones in particular).

But the answer to that is for the system to ship by default with the userland closed down as it is now, but root controls to be accessible by administrator level access *controlled by the owner of the device* and not by Google or the OEM.

Mindwipe

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good comic reader that supports PDFs and has a modernish design and responsiveness?

Perfect Viewer feels like something that's running on Windows Mobile circa 2001.

No. The 2014 model is 5", so I imagine the phone is a lot bigger.

Ahh right. I see now. I though it was the same size but I was thinking of the 4g update for the 2013 G earlier in the year.

I can get the 2014 model for pretty cheap. Cheaper then a 2013 or 4g infact. I just wasnt sure on the deal with the size / cases.

Got a tight budget and just need something to replace my busted phone. If I had more I would spring on a old Moto X or a Nexus 5 but whatever. I had zero issues with the G so far. Maybe this one will get me through another year

Ahh right. I see now. I though it was the same size but I was thinking of the 4g update for the 2013 G earlier in the year.

I can get the 2014 model for pretty cheap. Cheaper then a 2013 or 4g infact. I just wasnt sure on the deal with the size / cases.

Got a tight budget and just need something to replace my busted phone. If I had more I would spring on a old Moto X or a Nexus 5 but whatever. I had zero issues with the G so far. Maybe this one will get me through another year

Understood. Just figured if you could spring for another $30-$50 you could get a much better phone. Sometimes those Gs can be had for pretty cheap like you said though.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yeah the size isn't really a bad thing, lower DPI sure, but it's not like with the 3DS XL where you can notice things being more pixelated, I mean most phones these days already have insane PPI when compared to your average monitor.

Feels really good in your hand too, seems to be below the weight treshold where it feels uncomfortable to hold during a long phone call. Unlike the Lumia 920, similar size but felt much worse in the hand, mostly due to the sharp edges near the corners.
I'd so as far as to say the 2014 Moto G is the perfect size smartphone wise, nice big screen, yet fits in your pocket without issue. I love the thing so much, just wish Android had a built in screen colour manager like WP8, it was rather nice to be able to change the colour tone and colour saturation, albeit in a simple way. Luckily I am just fine with the tone of the 2014 G. But still, options are good!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Man, Play Services still hasn't updated for me. Give me location-based smart lock, you bastards!

(Yes, I know I can sideload the APK.)

Zeppu

Man, Play Services still hasn't updated for me. Give me location-based smart lock, you bastards!

(Yes, I know I can sideload the APK.)

I un-sideloaded it! Someone on the other thread said there's some separate version for lollipop with better battery performance. Now I'm playing the same waiting game as you. Sucks eh.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I un-sideloaded it! Someone on the other thread said there's some separate version for lollipop with better battery performance. Now I'm playing the same waiting game as you. Sucks eh.

Yeah, saw that too. So I'm waiting for the official update to be safe.

rossonero

The 730 version of Google Play Services isn't even available yet :(

By the way, noticed earlier today that the newest version of Whatsapp has got heads up notifications now. Hopefully more apps will follow.

And also Nova Launcher Beta has been updated with some Lollipop goodies.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm officially back on Android after a few years with an iPhone 5. Got my Nexus 6 in earlier this week and love it. Android has come a long ways since my old Droid X and the Froyo days. :p

Any stuff I should download or know about 5.0?

Pachimari

Hmm, I have just bought a phone for my girlfriend's birthday tomorrow. It's a LG G3 S (the mini variant), was that a good decision?

I have the normal G3 16GB edition myself and she loves the design and she want a big screen, which means at least 5".

But I'm thinking. Which one is the better phone, Nexus 5 or LG G3 S?

Toki767

Hmm, I have just bought a phone for my girlfriend's birthday tomorrow. It's a LG G3 S (the mini variant), was that a good decision?

I have the normal G3 16GB edition myself and she loves the design and she want a big screen, which means at least 5".

But I'm thinking. Which one is the better phone, Nexus 5 or LG G3 S?

Nexus 5 probably. Non-flagships tend to cheap out on display/hardware/etc...

Furyous

Call me crazy but I need that Nokia tablet in my life due to it running stock android.

I had to give up on my G3 out of concerns with software support and the fact that the G4 should be the definitive G3 I wanted.

I'm saving money for a GPE 2015 device as we speak.

Groof

Call me crazy but I need that Nokia tablet in my life due to it running stock android.

I had to give up on my G3 out of concerns with software support and the fact that the G4 should be the definitive G3 I wanted.

I'm saving money for a GPE 2015 device as we speak.

We all thought this about the G2>G3.

And about that Nokia tablet, I agree. I hope it performs well, it looks so interesting!

Wreav

Banned
The last time I tried Google Music, there was a toggle for music quality, but there was no way to FORCE the app to stream at that bitrate. Often, this leads to the audio going in and out of 128kbs, which sounds awful to my ears. In fact, this is the only reason I use Spotify over Google.

Has this changed?

kehs

Banned
The last time I tried Google Music, there was a toggle for music quality, but there was no way to FORCE the app to stream at that bitrate. Often, this leads to the audio going in and out of 128kbs, which sounds awful to my ears. In fact, this is the only reason I use Spotify over Google.

Has this changed?

There's an option to set mobile networks stream quality to "low/normal/high". Not sure what bitrate each one is though.

Wreav

Banned
There's an option to set mobile networks stream quality to "low/normal/high". Not sure what bitrate each one is though.

Yep, that's the setting I'm talking about, but in the past, the app never FORCED the stream to that quality. It was merely a maximum quality, based on available bandwidth.

Google prioritizes uninterrupted streaming, while Spotify prioritizes preserving audio quality at the risk of audio drops.

MarkusRJR

How are Microsoft services on android devices? I know Xbox Video isn't there (own lots of movies/TV shows there), but Xbox Music and Outlook are there, right? Anyone in the Microsoft ecosystem have any trouble switching over?

Trying to decide between the Lenovo Yoga 2 Tablet + Moto G or the Lenovo Miix 2 + Lumia 830. It's way cheaper to move to android, but I exclusively use MS services apart from YouTube. Not sure if I should just a few hundred more dollars to stay in the ecosystem I'm already comfortable in, or save some money and go Android.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm going to return my Nexus 9 and keep my Nexus 10. Battery life is much, much, much worse, the volume buttons are a major pain, and the N10 runs Lollipop great. I just hate the 16:10 ratio and prefer 4:3. But $400 for a worse experience than I already have is absurd.

I'm going to return my Nexus 9 and keep my Nexus 10. Battery life is much, much, much worse, the volume buttons are a major pain, and the N10 runs Lollipop great. I just hate the 16:10 ratio and prefer 4:3. But $400 for a worse experience than I already have is absurd.
battery life is so disappointing to read about

feels like ipads last forever these days. Googlepls.

Milpool

I was getting shit battery life on the nexus 9 at first mainly due to chrome, the update that I got pushed yesterday seems to have helped though. Today I'm at 9 hours screen on time with 27% remaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom