• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkeyeIC

Looks like all access/YouTube got merged today. I can now download videos and YouTube and watch videos in google play music.

Videos in play music don't work with Chromecast yet it seems

kehs

Banned
Looks like all access/YouTube got merged today. I can now download videos and YouTube and watch videos in google play music.

Videos in play music don't work with Chromecast yet it seems

How do you watch a video in play music? I saw the prompt and pressed ok too quickly.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Is it just me or is Facebook's "Turn off notifications" completely broken? Pissing me off especially for an app that gets updated twice a day.

NotBacon

This isn't too bad, considering the majority of users are reporting silky smooth performance, and this mostly affects read/write heavy apps, but I really wish Google would implement Qualcomms proprietary HW encryption soon :(

Groof

Ugh I don't know how to flash nor root.

Maybe I should sell my LG G3 for a Nexus 5 myself hmm.

Nah, your G3 is a step up. Especially in the battery department.

The only way to get stock Android is to root and then flash, but considering that's a no-go for you then I suggest just leaving it be. You've survived this far with it. LG's take on Lollipop on the G3 seems to incorporate at least some things from stock Android, so you're not getting completely left in the dust. Then you could always use Nova Launcher or the Google Experience Launcher if you want to inch your way closer to the look.

So my suggestion is to just go with it until next year and see what happens.

FESWatch.gif

http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/20/fes-watch-e-ink-japan-crowdfunding/?ncid=rss_truncated

This doesn't have anything to do with Android, but I'd love to see more devices with e-ink displays, particularly color e-ink.

Call me crazy but I need that Nokia tablet in my life due to it running stock android.

I had to give up on my G3 out of concerns with software support and the fact that the G4 should be the definitive G3 I wanted.

I'm saving money for a GPE 2015 device as we speak.

shoulda got the Note 4.

So it really is encryption affecting performance on the N6. I don't care about encryption like that, so if there's a way to turn it off, it'd be great.

From the article, looks like it could have even be (partially) avoided?

Apparently, Google has not merged the various drivers that optimize Qualcomm's QCE module for encryption and decryption into AOSP. The generally-assumed reason is that this code is proprietary. Without these optimizations, the Nexus 6's hardware decryption module on the Snapdragon 805 is essentially hamstrung

Encryption wil always have an impact though.

Furyous

shoulda got the Note 4.

It's 5.7 inches and way too big for me. Fuck Samsung as a staff, a record label, and a motherfucking crew. I'm never supporting Samsung's smartphone business purely off principle. Every Android OEM is cool but Samsung rubs me the wrong way.

What am I going to do with 5.7 inch smartphone? At that point, one could consider a tablet with a data plan and a Skype subscription to save money.

Pachimari

Nah, your G3 is a step up. Especially in the battery department.

The only way to get stock Android is to root and then flash, but considering that's a no-go for you then I suggest just leaving it be. You've survived this far with it. LG's take on Lollipop on the G3 seems to incorporate at least some things from stock Android, so you're not getting completely left in the dust. Then you could always use Nova Launcher or the Google Experience Launcher if you want to inch your way closer to the look.

So my suggestion is to just go with it until next year and see what happens.
Yeah I'll follow this advice.

Though the battery life is horrible.

Also, right now I'm reorganizing my phone, so what are some of the best widgets for Android?

linkboy

I was going to sell my Nexus 4 when I upgraded to my Nexus 5, but I decided to give it to my step-daughter instead since she's using this piece of shit

I'm going to upgrade it to Lollipop (its on Kit Kat right now) and I've been out of the loop with the Nexus 4 side of things since I upgraded. Has anyone who upgraded their phones had any issues in regards to lollipop on the 4?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
How are Microsoft services on android devices? I know Xbox Video isn't there (own lots of movies/TV shows there), but Xbox Music and Outlook are there, right? Anyone in the Microsoft ecosystem have any trouble switching over?

Xbox music is buggy but it works. Just make sure to set up playlists on your pc. You can download the playlists for offline playback on the phone. Stability issues need to be worked out though.

Outlook is there but I only use it for contact and calendar sync. I manage the email through the new gmail app, which is fantastic. Onedrive works great, but office needs to be brought up to par with the iOS version. Onenote is good, so is the Xbox smart glass app.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
So now that the email app has been absorbed by Gmail, there's one consolidated inbox anymore, or am I missing something?

So many questions.

Quixzlizx

I feel like notifications have been screwy since I upgraded to Lollipop. I haven't gotten notifications when I've been messaged through Hangouts, despite having the person as a priority contact. But I guess her phone #s and her Hangouts account aren't linked. But I don't see any way of setting a contact as a priority contact in Hangouts, and I don't see any way of linking a phone contact and a Hangouts contact in the dialer app.

I feel like notifications have been screwy since I upgraded to Lollipop. I haven't gotten notifications when I've been messaged through Hangouts, despite having the person as a priority contact. But I guess her phone #s and her Hangouts account aren't linked. But I don't see any way of setting a contact as a priority contact in Hangouts, and I don't see any way of linking a phone contact and a Hangouts contact in the dialer app.

Not sure why you haven't been getting notifications. I would just clear the data for the hangouts app.

As far as contacts it sounds like you need to do some organizing. Go to google.com/contacts

Spend some time in there merging all contacts so you only have one contact for combinations of phone#/gmail/google+. You do not want seperate contacts for hangouts and dialer. Hangouts works off a gmail account or google+ association on the contact and the dialer works off the phone number obviously. After doing that it should work better as everything pulls from your gmail contacts/people app.

Groof

Yeah I'll follow this advice.

Though the battery life is horrible.

Also, right now I'm reorganizing my phone, so what are some of the best widgets for Android?
If you find the G3's battery life to be horrible, you'd probably cry blood at the Nexus 5's.

TheRook

the battery life on my N5 has gotten alot better since I got Lollipop...I can get at least a day and a half on moderate usage which includes playing some Chaos Rings 2, Watching anime on Crunchyroll, and checking my Feedly, Flipbook and Twitter regularly.

I guess being on GAF 24/7 kills your battery 2x faster than that.

I am utterly confused now.

I wanted to get the Nexus 9 and Nexus 6.

Nexus 9 reviews have been really poor.
Nexus 6 has not been reviewed that hot either. There is also nothing that makes use of the big screen.

I can't deal with performance issues when I don't get any on my N5 and N7.

May need to look at Note 4 again...

Drifters

Nexus 6 has not been reviewed that hot either. There is also nothing that makes use of the big screen.

Snap the hell out of it man. You really want a locked boot loader and TouchWiz? No you don't. Get the N6 and then camp on the N9 till production run 2.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

You have a N5 and N7 (2012 or 2013?)

Why do you need to upgrade again?

join team don't get anything while you wait for a huge sale or something better

-PXG-

Decrypted my Nexus 6 last night. It's really easy. It does require a full wipe, but worth it. They really should just allow you to turn it off. Sucks that if there is another update, it will encrypt my phone again :/

yyzjohn

Banned
Decrypted my Nexus 6 last night. It's really easy. It does require a full wipe, but worth it. They really should just allow you to turn it off. Sucks that if there is another update, it will encrypt my phone again :/

For sure they'll be a lollipop update sooner rather than later to address a bunch of bugs. 5.01 or something.. you'll be wiping again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom