• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, I know. Damn screen sizes are like a subconscious dick measuring contest.

Plus the battery is great but with that small screen. Fuck. I can't even imagine how solid it must be.
too many jokes about dick measuring and how solid it must be can be made here but I won't do it!

Anyway why not just sell the z3 and get the z3c if it will make you happy.

kehs

Banned
I've gone from regretting that I got a Z3 over other larger screen phones, to now regretting that I should've got a Z3 compact. I can't use this thing one handed at all.

Just the other day I finally got over not getting the z3 cause I was totally dominating the phone with a sandwich in my other hand on a z3c.

too many jokes about dick measuring and how solid it must be can be made here but I won't do it!

Anyway why not just sell the z3 and get the z3c if it will make you happy.
Nah, I'll lose value on it. I'll just stick with it and be angry at myself until the contract ends lol.

Just the other day I finally got over not getting the z3 cause I was totally dominating the phone with a sandwich in my other hand on a z3c.

*Shakes fist.

SimleuqiR

Oh shit upgrading my Nexus Player to 5.0!

itshappening.gif

Make sure you install this launcher:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.tv.sideloadlauncher

And this file explorer

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop

This will allow you to install and view none "Player" apps....for example XBMC.

With the file explorer you can browse a drive on your network and import/ install from it.

simliquorice never gave me his impressions, so I'm relying on you now jazzy jazz.

It's a nice little box. Google actually gave me $20.00 of Play credits so the device cost me under $99.00 (including shipping + Taxes).

The Good:

Netflix and Hulu Plus streams seem a bit better on this device than the Chromecast, and that's saying a lot as Chromecast actually has really good streaming quality. Could be the better ram perhaps.
On Screen Keyboard is usable. Lots of clicking with the remote, but still fast enough not to bother me.
You can get a USB adapter to network plug to hardwire the box to your network (if needed)
31IlpsdjVwL.jpg

The Bad:

Why no proper Chrome (browser) support Google?
Search doesn't work with content within the Netflix and Hulu PLus apps. I WANT THIS FEATURE!! I want to search for an actor and for the box to give me hits within all the available services. DO THIS GOOGLE.
No Amazon Prime video App - Goddamit Amazon!! Get your shit together.

Now that I got lolipop on my nexus 5 I think its time to change the look of my phone.

This is what I've got right now:

I've been using this style for a long time, but now it doesn't really look that good with all the new Lolipop changes.

What are you guys all rocking? Give me some inspiration!!

kehs

Banned
It's a nice little box. Google actually gave me $20.00 of Play credits so the device cost me under $99.00 (including shipping + Taxes).

The Good:

Netflix and Hulu Plus streams seem a bit better on this device than the Chromecast, and that's saying a lot as Chromecast actually has really good streaming quality. Could be the better ram perhaps.
On Screen Keyboard is usable. Lots of clicking with the remote, but still fast enough not to bother me.
You can get a USB adapter to network plug to hardwire the box to your network (if needed)
31IlpsdjVwL.jpg

The Bad:

Why no proper Chrome (browser) support Google?
Search doesn't work with content within the Netflix and Hulu PLus apps. I WANT THIS FEATURE!! I want to search for an actor and for the box to give me hits within all the available services. DO THIS GOOGLE.
No Amazon Prime video App - Goddamit Amazon!! Get your shit together.

They still haven't worked out their deals with those companies? eesh.

Thanks for the app suggestions. Just set it up. Have no time to really play with it, but I'll start installing some legit games on it and use tomorrow.

-PXG-

Uh.....

This isn't good right. My phone was pretty warm before I fell asleep. I was streaming Twitch via Chromecast for an hour or two. I woke up and it was blazing hot. I powered it down, let itvrest for a few minutes and booted it back up now to make this post.

What's the deal? I've been home all day with WiFi on without any issues.I also had Google Now voice detection on with all three settings active too.

I got to try out the Note Edge at Best Buy today.

It's definitely a cool look and the phone wasn't quite as thick as I'd imagined it would be, but there isn't a single use case for why I would need an extra curved strip of screen. The demo had both an extra strip of icons, and a news/sports update widget.

But if its existence brings us one step closer to having phones with retractable screen or more bendy phones that better survive impacts, then I definitely welcome its existence.

Dynedom

Guys, need a new phone and I want stock Android or as close as possible to it.

I've narrowed down to

-Nexus 5
-HTC One M8 (google play edition)
-Z3 compact

I'm not too fussed about the camera as I have an iPhone 5S from work and I'm quite happy taking pictures on that. Obviously having a nice camera on my new phone is a nice bonus.

My main worries are battery life and overall OS performance (hence why I'm trying to go as bare as possible).

NotBacon

Guys, need a new phone and I want stock Android or as close as possible to it.

I've narrowed down to

-Nexus 5
-HTC One M8 (google play edition)
-Z3 compact

I'm not too fussed about the camera as I have an iPhone 5S from work and I'm quite happy taking pictures on that. Obviously having a nice camera on my new phone is a nice bonus.

My main worries are battery life and overall OS performance (hence why I'm trying to go as bare as possible).

Well the Nex5 is stock and wonderful, but the battery life is about average. The Z3c has mad crazy battery life, but is actually pretty far from stock and has its own nuances. M8 GPE is probably somewhere in the middle.

JoeFu

Banned
Ugh this mobile active radio thing in apps is killing battery life I think. Screen on 20 minutes, mobile radio activity 40 minutes... 30 minutes for YouTube. Both taking more battery life than screen. Wtf is this google??!!

Lol my screen isn't a thing in battery reports.

tzare

So it looks like nexus 6 has a led for notifications after all, just deactivated. Really stupid desicions sometimes. .
Is galaxy 4 gpe edition still available.? Could be cheaper and with better battery life than nexus 5

Jzero

So it looks like nexus 6 has a led for notifications after all, just deactivated. Really stupid desicions sometimes. .
Is galaxy 4 gpe edition still available.? Could be cheaper and with better battery life than nexus 5
I don't think it does. I just tried light manager and no LEDs turned on.

JoeFu

Banned
LOL chrome using double of my screen right now, 16% for chrome, 8% for screen. Wtf is this. Someone please... What is a good browser? I don't really like javelin.

JoeFu

Banned
I love Javelin and honestly think it's the best browser for Android (phones).

What's wrong with it?

I don't like how it handles the on screen nav thing. Full screen browsing is nice and all but I can't click things on the bottom of the page without scrolling up and down like 10 times before it forces the bottem of screen to go above the on screen nav buttons. Used to have option to turn off full screen browsing, but I don't see it anymore.

It's too easy to open the settings tab/ navigation tabs. I just want something simple.

snacknuts

we all knew her
For all the grousing I see people doing in regarding to Chrome killing their battery, I've never had an issue with it on any of my devices.

longdi

Banned
Im using Maxthon in place of "no-refresh" chrome.

Scrolling wise it not as smooth as Chrome, but it has full screen browsing, gesture tabs switching and easily accessible refresh button, Maxthon surfing experience is sorta better.

It is let down by being little crash happy at times, sucks at embedded youtube, and it does not save opened tabs if you close the app.

Google ffs why kill the refresh button?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Every time I think I'm going to sell my HTC One M8, I get cold feet. Such a damn good device, if it wasn't for the camera it would be the best phone on the planet IMO.

JoeFu

Banned
I wonder if there is a the poor soul out there with Chrome battery drain and Google Play Services battery drain lol.

Wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemy.

Volotaire

Every time I think I'm going to sell my HTC One M8, I get cold feet. Such a damn good device, if it wasn't for the camera it would be the best phone on the planet IMO.

Having held it, I still hate the positioning of the power button on the top, some design features being degraded relative to the M7, the 16GB storage for app needs (yes there's an SD card), dimensions relative to phone screen are large and large for my hands/pockets and disadvantages of battery compared to other phones.

The power button placement really irked me on the M7. I can't wait to see what the M9 comes with.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Having held it, I still hate the positioning of the power button on the top, some design features being degraded relative to the M7, the 16GB storage for app needs (yes there's an SD card), dimensions relative to phone screen are large and large for my hands/pockets and disadvantages of battery compared to other phones.

The power button placement really irked me on the M7. I can't wait to see what the M9 comes with.

Your complaints about battery life and 16gb storage are off base. It has best in class battery life and 32gb base storage plus SD card. Less plastic than the m7 and I like the design much more, but that's subjective so I won't argue that. Power button on top is dumb, but with double tap to wake and the various launch gestures, including with the dot view case, it's mostly a moot point.

Volotaire

Your complaints about battery life and 16gb storage are off base. It has best in class battery life and 32gb base storage plus SD card. Less plastic than the m7 and I like the design much more, but that's subjective so I won't argue that. Power button on top is dumb, but with double tap to wake and the various launch gestures, including with the dot view case, it's mostly a moot point.

Oh, I forgot about those gestures. It does largely solve those power button issues. I didn't realise they released a 32GB version either. Looking at the battery life test for the M8 on GSM at 71 hours, I would still like a lot more than that from HTC i.e. Sony Xperia Z2 (which was released at a similar time).

malyce

HTC and Sony have horrible screen size to phone size ratios. Its ridiculous.

Google still having battery issues going into 2015 is unacceptable. Apple keeps shitting on android devices from a great from height from an experience standpoint. I was so close to picking up a 6+ yesterday, but I know I need to wait for 2015 for a really good hardware. LG needs to bring that heat with the G4 because Samsung is gonna launch the S6 with a 805 SoC. So either Sony comes correct with the Z5, a Nexus device that knocks it out of the park or Apple's S upgrades are gonna steal the show. A G4 GPE would be an insta buy.

ukas

I haven't had crazy battery drain since build LRX21R was pushed, touch wood. I checked last week when it was bad and it was draining 2% every 3 minutes.

I don't think it's just chrome because Dolphin was doing the same thing. Although, I haven't tried it since the minor update after 5.0 was officially released.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How do I still not have location-based smart lock? How can a Play Services update take so long to roll out?

HTC and Sony have horrible screen size to phone size ratios. Its ridiculous.

Google still having battery issues going into 2015 is unacceptable. Apple keeps shitting on android devices from a great from height from an experience standpoint. I was so close to picking up a 6+ yesterday, but I know I need to wait for 2015 for a really good hardware. LG needs to bring that heat with the G4 because Samsung is gonna launch the S6 with a 805 SoC. So either Sony comes correct with the Z5, a Nexus device that knocks it out of the park or Apple's S upgrades are gonna steal the show. A G4 GPE would be an insta buy.

Battery life = experience? Lollipop is much nicer than iOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom