• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your complaints about battery life and 16gb storage are off base. It has best in class battery life and 32gb base storage plus SD card. Less plastic than the m7 and I like the design much more, but that's subjective so I won't argue that. Power button on top is dumb, but with double tap to wake and the various launch gestures, including with the dot view case, it's mostly a moot point.

The brushed metal is stupid cuz its slippery as fuck. The M7 is superior in every way design wise.

I am utterly confused now.

I wanted to get the Nexus 9 and Nexus 6.

Nexus 9 reviews have been really poor.
Nexus 6 has not been reviewed that hot either. There is also nothing that makes use of the big screen.

I can't deal with performance issues when I don't get any on my N5 and N7.

May need to look at Note 4 again...
become a #soldierforSamsung

HTC and Sony have horrible screen size to phone size ratios. Its ridiculous.

Google still having battery issues going into 2015 is unacceptable. Apple keeps shitting on android devices from a great from height from an experience standpoint. I was so close to picking up a 6+ yesterday, but I know I need to wait for 2015 for a really good hardware. LG needs to bring that heat with the G4 because Samsung is gonna launch the S6 with a 805 SoC. So either Sony comes correct with the Z5, a Nexus device that knocks it out of the park or Apple's S upgrades are gonna steal the show. A G4 GPE would be an insta buy.

What? I don't understand what you mean here.

tzare

HTC and Sony have horrible screen size to phone size ratios. Its ridiculous.

Google still having battery issues going into 2015 is unacceptable. Apple keeps shitting on android devices from a great from height from an experience standpoint. I was so close to picking up a 6+ yesterday, but I know I need to wait for 2015 for a really good hardware. LG needs to bring that heat with the G4 because Samsung is gonna launch the S6 with a 805 SoC. So either Sony comes correct with the Z5, a Nexus device that knocks it out of the park or Apple's S upgrades are gonna steal the show. A G4 GPE would be an insta buy.
it isn't the same to deal with one or two phones a year and a very tailored os than making an os that a zillion phones use. Not to mention that iPhones so far haven't had outstanding battery life. The first one that is above average is 6+.

malyce

Seems like a lot of people are getting their panties in a bunch over my comment. Maybe it's just me, but miscellaneous bugs and chrome that keep destroying battery life, wakelocks, $649 subpar devices shipping with test software, OEMs that continue to remix the OS, waiting lists for updates etc. You pick up an iPhone from the store, login with your apple ID and you're done. You damn have to login with 2 separate accounts when you're setting up Samsung and HTC device with their take on each android app. I mean shit, you have apps fighting over your contacts.

/end rant

Seems like a lot of people are getting their panties in a bunch over my comment. Maybe it's just me, but miscellaneous bugs and chrome that keep destroying battery life, wakelocks, $649 subpar devices shipping with test software, OEMs that continue to remix the OS, waiting lists for updates etc. You pick up an iPhone from the store, login with your apple ID and you're done. You damn have to login with 2 separate accounts when you're setting up Samsung and HTC device with their take on each android app. I mean shit, you have apps fighting over your contacts.

/end rant

Tell us how you really feel.

-PXG-

/end rant

That's why I don't fuck with the OEMs anymore. Nexus. All day. Never looking back.

Let's be real. The "it just works" line is tired as hell and bullshit. iOS has issues too. Neither platform is perfect. Apple hasn't innovated a goddamn thing in years. iOS and the iPhone itself are being held back by sticking to old ass conventions and a user base who is too fucking dumb to learn new stuff. Apple might be loaded with cash, but the declining growth in market share, especially in developing regions will come to bite them in ass later when they realize Google has been slowly and steadily eating their lunch over time.

/end rant

tzare

/end rant
As far as i know there have been some os issues with ios 8.
As for using separate accounts on some devices, it is not mandatory as long as you do not want to use their services and specific apps. Why so big deal? I also have corporate,yahoo,Microsoft, box, Dropbox besides Google accounts. And that also happens with ios. You obviously do not have two basic accounts since phone and os maker is the same. Just like with nexus devices
But my wife's s4+ hasn't any Samsung account activated, only Google and works fine.

Drifters

/end rant

Giga 2.0 if you ask me.

As for using separate accounts on some devices, it is not mandatory as long as you do not want to use their services and specific apps. Why so big deal? I also have corporate,yahoo,Microsoft, box, Dropbox besides Google accounts. And that also happens with ios. You obviously do not have two basic accounts since phone and os maker is the same. Just like with nexus devices
But my wife's s4+ hasn't any Samsung account activated, only Google and works fine.

but you are confronted with one extra skippable screen when you set your device up, WHERE IS YOUR RAGE!?

edit: and then they have the gall to put the free 50GB of dropbox and free samsung edition of sketxhbook behind that signup.

edit2: and they have the nerve to register your phone for warranty, etc.. purposes via that signup. HOW. DARE. THEY!?

kehs

Banned

/end truth

That's not a rant. That's the truth.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Just upgraded my OPO to the Lollipop K900 build & getting over 7 hours on screen time.

Glorious!

DT2W works now too.

I see very few reasons not to be on K900s build at this point. Customization settings are still missing, but eh, they will come in time and I don't miss them too terribly.

NotBacon

/end rant

Aaaaaaand this is why Nexus exists. No-BS phones. And iOS has hitches too, don't delude yourself.

Oh and keep telling yourself the Nexus 6 is subpar when the professional and community reviews remain 95% positive.

I really like Lollipop and it might hold my interest for more than a year. I just really wish Google had updated the Nexus 5 this year instead of unleashing that huge and ugly monster. I don't need a huge screen with quad HD resolution and 3 GB of ram and whatever else is hot right now. Just give me the same bright red 5" phone with a better camera and twice the battery life and I'm happy. Oh, and a glance screen with double tap to wake.

But no one else seems to be interested in a device like that.

kehs

Banned
You live in another dimension, if that's what you got from that post.

I really like Lollipop and it might hold my interest for more than a year. I just really wish Google had updated the Nexus 5 this year instead of unleashing that huge and ugly monster. I don't need a huge screen with quad HD resolution and 3 GB of ram and whatever else is hot right now. Just give me the same bright red 5" phone with a better camera and twice the battery life and I'm happy. Oh, and a glance screen with double tap to wake.

Z3 Line.

Now that it looks and feels really good, I want stock Android with quick updates. Xperia isn't stock and last I've heard Sony users are still waiting for 5.0. Also, the compact has a 720p screen to which I say no thanks. Plus no wireless charging.

kehs

Banned
Now that it looks and feels really good, I want stock Android with quick updates. Xperia isn't stock and last I've heard Sony users are still waiting for 5.0. Also, the compact has a 720p screen to which I say no thanks.

Just about every feature from 5.0 was lifted from the sony skin. I'm not even joking.

Just about every feature from 5.0 was lifted from the sony skin. I'm not even joking.

Features are not that important to me, otherwise I wouldn't have used a Windows Phone for a long time. Look and feel is more important to me and I love it in Lollipop. I seriously think it's the best looking smartphone os right now.

Groof

I think a lot of people are interested in a phone like that. Honestly, they should've just gone with LG again. A Nexus phone based on the G3 would've been absolutely amazing.

But Google fucked it up with their Silver bullshit.

Hasney

Replace LG with Sony and G3 with Z3 and you'd be right.

Google should have waited until the 64 but processors really. They're not on a normal schedule and I don't see what they've gained by bringing out a half-baked phone.

Replace LG with Sony and G3 with Z3 and you'd be right.

Google should have waited until the 64 but processors really. They're not on a normal schedule and I don't see what they've gained by bringing out a half-baked phone.

Maybe next year Sony can have a stab at making a Nexus. I'm confident that they would make an amazing phone. Is there a rule for what company does the Nexus line?

I think a lot of people are interested in a phone like that. Honestly, they should've just gone with LG again. A Nexus phone based on the G3 would've been absolutely amazing.

That would've been great as well. Even if I can buy a G3 next year for relatively cheap, I'd still have to deal with LG's skin and I'm not into flashing ROMs either (that ota update file was almost too much). I hope they're going to make a proper Nexus next year again.

Phone arguments are dumb. Ive learned to put that behind me. Ill use what I like and if you have a problem with that then too bad. Keep acting like little 5 year olds.

The Android community here is a fucking cancer.

-PXG-

I was always under the impression that Silver was going to serve as a replacement for Nexus and basically be an expansion of the Google Play Edition line of devices. They would have taken the flagship OEM phones, put stock Android on them, give them OTA updates and sell them through carriers and retail outlets and call it a day. I guess that fell through and Google had to revitalize the Nexus program at the last second. Still owning Moto, they contracted them to make the Nexus 6 in a hurry, thus why it's basically a bigger and stronger Moto X. Plus, this is why we didn't see any leaks for a long time and cwhy there are so many shortages all around.

Volotaire

Phone arguments are dumb. Ive learned to put that behind me. Ill use what I like and if you have a problem with that then too bad. Keep acting like little 5 year olds.

The Android community here is a fucking cancer.

Perhaps having a mod here would solve some of the vitriolic arguments? I don't think any mod checks this thread.

malyce

Giga 2.0 if you ask me.

That's why I don't fuck with the OEMs anymore. Nexus. All day. Never looking back.

Let's be real. The "it just works" line is tired as hell and bullshit. iOS has issues too. Neither platform is perfect. Apple hasn't innovated a goddamn thing in years. iOS and the iPhone itself are being held back by sticking to old ass conventions and a user base who is too fucking dumb to learn new stuff. Apple might be loaded with cash, but the declining growth in market share, especially in developing regions will come to bite them in ass later when they realize Google has been slowly and steadily eating their lunch over time.

/end rant

It doesn't matter if android is reaching people that still live in huts and shoot arrows at planes. What good are they to apple? It's the reason why there are no more android exclusive features. Everything that happens on android, iOS gets it too. Android is just a tool to push google's services. Google couldn't give any less of a fuck about the android experience. And I don't blame them. I mean if I worked so hard to make my OS appeasing only to have it butchered by every OEM I allow to use my services I'd stop giving a fuck too.

Tell us how you really feel.

Aaaaaaand this is why Nexus exists. No-BS phones. And iOS has hitches too, don't delude yourself.

Oh and keep telling yourself the Nexus 6 is subpar when the professional and community reviews remain 95% positive.
Some of you fail to understand that not everyone is as tech savvy as the people in this thread. Do you know how many people's phones I've seen with their contacts being an absolute mess? When you save a contact you have 5 different accounts shouting ME! ME! ME! It's ridiculous.

And miss me with the "that's why you go nexus" line. You need to look no further than the previous page to see the bullshit that should have been addressed since gingerbread. Yet we're here on Lollipop which was promised to us as the wakelock and battery drain savior, but its still the same shit. Project Volta my ass.

Oh, and I've been on android since eclair, and I've owned every iPhone except for the 6+ Don't try to school me both OS. Yes iOS has its flaws, but the overall user experience and consistency to the average person is miles better on an idevice. Quit trying to make the exception the rule. We're way more knowledgeable about these devices than the avergar Joe, shit that we easily side step are mountains to the masses which make up 99% of smartphone user base.

-PXG-

It doesn't matter if android is reaching people that still live in huts and shoot arrows at planes. What good are they to apple? It's the reason why there are no more android exclusive features. Everything that happens on android, iOS gets it too.Android is just a tool to push google's services.Google couldn't give any less of a fuck about the android experience. And I don't blame them. I mean if I worked so hard to make my OS appeasing only to have it butchered by every OEM I allow to use my services I'd stop giving a fuck too.

Some of you fail to understand that not everyone is as tech savvy as the people in this thread. Do you know how many people's phones I've seen with their contacts being an absolute mess? When you save a contact you have 5 different accounts shouting ME! ME! ME! It's ridiculous.

And miss me with the "that's why you go nexus" line. You need to look no further than the previous page to see the bullshit that should have been addressed since gingerbread. Yet we're here on Lollipop which was promised to us as the wakelock and battery drain savior, but its still the same shit. Project Volta my ass.

Oh, and I've been on android since eclair, and I've owned every iPhone except for the 6+ Don't try to school me both OS. Yes iOS has its flaws, but the overall user experience and consistency to the average person is miles better on an idevice. Quit trying to make the exception the rule. We're way more knowledgeable about these devices than the avergar Joe, shit that we easily side step are mountains to the masses which make up 99% of smartphone user base.

That's precisely why they do care about it. Google Now is merely an evolution of Google Search. Services, APIs... Android is the vehicle for all that shit.

malyce

That's precisely why they do care about it. Google Now is merely an evolution of Google Search. Services, APIs... Android is the vehicle for all that shit.
That's precisely why it will always be just good enough, but always fall short of being great.

malyce

And look at Apple. Adding shit to iOS that Android has had for years. NFC? Customizable keyboards?...Yeah OK.
I don't remember saying iOS was the better of the two. Android allows way more freedom and has a lot more potential for those that know how to use it. However, apple's take on things they choose to implement into their OS is always more refined where as in android it's just shoved in, always half baked, gradually increasing in functionality over time. With apple, it's not about doing it first. Its about implementation.
Google couldn't give any less of a fuck about the android experience.

Thats just stupid.
Yes it is. I may have exaggerated just a wee bit.

I'd kill for that and I'm sure others would too. Manufacturers are just engaged in this ridiculous arms-race against each other for some reason that serves to benefit no one.

I guess we'll see what everyone does in 2015. How redonk can it get. Hopefully this year was the peak.

"i dont need QHD but 720p isn't good enough"

"i want more battery but not a bigger phone to fit more battery"

"stock is great and i don't need those accurate colors i raved about last year"

"dual speakers are awesome even if the other guy has a single speaker thats just as loud"

"who needs proper SMS backups? i use Hangouts anyway!"

"maybe we'll get S-Beam in m&m's"

kehs

Banned

"dual speakers are awesome even if the other guy has a single speaker thats just as loud"

Android beam on L is actually pretty good!

Dual Front facing Speakers are superior to rear single speakers don't even try that. It's clearer and louder.

Does anyone know if the Xperia Z3 supports saying "Ok Google" from anywhere like the Nexus 6 or the Moto X?

kehs

Banned
Dual Front facing Speakers are superior to rear single speakers don't even try that. It's clearer and louder.

Does anyone know if the Xperia Z3 supports saying "Ok Google" from anywhere like the Nexus 6 or the Moto X?

Z3c does so I guess the z3 will
WDcO76F.jpg

Hasney

18 months in and I don't think I've ever used S-Beam.

4 months until I'm free from this Samsung shite... 4 more bleak months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom