• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at tablets. Thoughts on the Z2 vs the Galaxy Tab S? I like the z2 a lot, but I'm not sure how well supported it is. Galaxy apparently has great battery life and great screen.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Only in the US though, not in the UK yet.

Actually, you just have to enable US English in the voice settings and set it as your primary language. Then "OK Google" will work, and you can still search in whatever other language you have enabled. I have Swedish and US English enabled, and after saying "OK Google" I can speak in either language and it recognizes it fine.

npa189

I've been loving my N6 so far, there isn't one thing I don't like about it but I did have to order a new dashboard mount as it wouldn't fit in my old one. The AT&T logo scraped off really easy, just ran a flathead screwdriver over it and it didn't scratch at all. Any word on when google play devices are getting 5.0? Its hard switching back and forth on my G Pad running KitKat.

gcubed

Z3c does so I guess the z3 will
WDcO76F.jpg

That's not the same as the X or the N6. That's just normal android.

anyone tried the Google Messenger app? is it any good?
Yep, it's great. Smooth, fast, nice animations. Not a lot of customization, but it gets the job done. It's one of my favorite SMS apps out of all that I've tried.

Edit:
http://shop.intrinsyc.com/products/mdp-smartphone-powered-by-snapdragon-810-processor

http://www.intrinsyc.com/products/qualcomm/mdp-smartphone-powered-by-snapdragon-810-processor.aspx

Specs:

6.17 inch display
2560x1440 resolution
Micro SD card slot
32 GB of storage
4 GB of DDR4 RAM
8 microphones
USB 3.0
4 MP front facing camera and 13 MP rear facing camera

This phone looks like a good alternative to the Nexus 6, IMHO.
Hmmm, so does this mean the 810 will arrive sooner than expected?

I see it perfectly

Do you want a reference to an optometrist?
Calm down peeps. Kehs was right about what I originally asked. Now I want to know if it can do it with the screen off. Can the Xperia Z3 or 6 do that?
Has to be HUGE with a bezel that big.

Proportions of an iPhone 6+ with a .67" bigger screen.
A true beast. Looking at the size of the battery, it's kind of small for that huge display. I wonder if it'll have decent battery life.

Hasney

Yep, it's great. Smooth, fast, nice animations. Not a lot of customization, but it gets the job done. It's one of my favorite SMS apps out of all that I've tried.

Edit:

Hmmm, so does this mean the 810 will arrive sooner than expected?

Damn, why wasn't the most interesting part in the original post?

Hopefully so, gotta see dem benchmarks and then get ready for the 810 main events early next year.

I believe the star only shows up for priority mode?

I think the star represents something like most important notifications, like how you could star stuff in gmail or a favorite contact.

Edit:
Damn, why wasn't the most interesting part in the original post?

Hopefully so, gotta see dem benchmarks and then get ready for the 810 main events early next year.
I hope so too, but there won't be anything running stock or close to stock for a while, so I guess it doesn't even matter for me. My only choices there are Moto and Nexus, haha :(

Hasney

Yeah, means priority notifications only, which people are taking to use as DND mode.

I wish priority mode could turn off the LED.

Quixzlizx

I don't even know why my phone keeps entering priority mode. I have DND on for nights, but it seems to be on all the time. Maybe Llama's profiles don't work right with LP.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah, the star symbol is stupid and not explained at all, as far as I know. It means the device is in DND mode.

It does not. The star is priority mode, DND/none mode is a circle with a line through it. Makes sense to me, a star is an established symbol for favorites, important stuff, etc.

Are those tests done with the speaker in the normal use position? What does it matter which one is louder in the lab when under normal real world use the results differ?

I don't know how loud the 6's speakers are but I'm hoping they prove to be better than my other devices.

i don't know how loud the 6 is 'under normal real world use' but the Note 4 is one of the loudest i'e ever used IRL.

man, what's up with the Nexus 6 and peeps decrying lab tests?

Lollipop absolutely fucked up volume controls. Listening to music or watching a video while Chromecasting? Pause the Chromecast, wait a bit, then adjust volume. Want to adjust video volume while in a YouTube pop up? Wait a bit, then adjust volume. Countless other similar issues.

It's fucking annoying.

beta tested in the future.

demented

My friend broke alcatel 995 that I had (2nd phone) which might be for the better because I'd have done it soon.

So I'm thinking about picking up samsung galaxy mini or mini s2, friend has first one and it works great, battery lasts 2 days, runs viber/whatsapp fast.

That's pretty much my only requirements, to run these 2 apps, call and text and not be unstable/slow POS like this alcatel, also as cheap as possible.

Any other recommendations?

My friend broke alcatel 995 that I had (2nd phone) which might be for the better because I'd have done it soon.

So I'm thinking about picking up samsung galaxy mini or mini s2, friend has first one and it works great, battery lasts 2 days, runs viber/whatsapp fast.

That's pretty much my only requirements, to run these 2 apps, call and text and not be unstable/slow POS like this alcatel, also as cheap as possible.

Any other recommendations?

Moto G? What's your budget? You can also get last year's flagships which would be cheaper.

Calm down peeps. Kehs was right about what I originally asked. Now I want to know if it can do it with the screen off. Can the Xperia Z3 or 6 do that?

A true beast. Looking at the size of the battery, it's kind of small for that huge display. I wonder if it'll have decent battery life.

"from lock screen" is grey when "from any screen" isn't checked. once that's checked, the other option becomes available if it's an option. the Nexus 6 does and the Z3 should. even the Note 2 does it, but that had a noticeable battery drain. with my Note 4, i couldn't tell the difference at the end of the day.

gcubed

Don't ever tell him he's right. You've created a monster.

right now I think the only phones to do it from off are the Xs and the 6

"from lock screen" is grey when "from any screen" isn't checked. once that's checked, the other option becomes available if it's an option. the Nexus 6 does and the Z3 should. even the Note 2 does it, but that had a noticeable battery drain. with my Note 4, i couldn't tell the difference at the end of the day.
So you can say "Ok Google, why is the Note 4 awesome?" from anywhere on your Note 4 right?
Don't ever tell him he's right. You've created a monster.

right now I think the only phones to do it from off are the Xs and the 6
It seems like this is not the case. Other phones are capable of doing it.

RedFyn

man, what's up with the Nexus 6 and peeps decrying lab tests?
I can't speak for anyone else but I've never been a fan of relying on them to represent actual results. Not that they don't have their place but they must be taken with a grain of salt. In the case of speakers you can't judge them simply by how loud the sound produced is but rather how loud it is in relation to your ear taking into account any physical impediments such as a hand covering the speaker. A lab test may tell you that one speaker is louder but that doesn't represent or take into account any real world variables.

gcubed

So you can say "Ok Google, why is the Note 4 awesome?" from anywhere on your Note 4 right?

It seems like this is not the case. Other phones are capable of doing it.

You can do it from lock screen, and screen off when charging, but with screen off and not charging I'm not aware of other phones.

I could be wrong, but I'm not copernijerk... Sorry he changed his name to mehs now.

Guys, any idea where I can buy an unlocked (non-Verizon) Droid Turbo from in Toronto or New York?

I'll be visiting next month and would really like to pick this one up. Thanks.

VoxPop

uh so I ordered a Note 4 from ebay with buy it now from some ebay store. They said brand new and factory unlocked. And they send me an obviously used with reattached stickers and AT&T branding w/ AT&T box. Was planning on using it on T-Mobile. Should I bother with the hassle of returning it or is there a way to check if its actually unlocked.

Can I still give negative feedback if I decide to keep it?

<sarcasm>Gaf I have a major crisis...</sarcasm>

My brother in law is trying to convince my sister to buy an iPhone 6 since their contracts are up. They currently have 2013 Moto X's which they have loved they (bought off contact). I honestly think its silly they are evening resigning and getting new phones but that's not up to me. What is up to me is my sister who has a history of two android phones want me to give her reasons why she shouldn't switch.

- She's heavily invested in google services and I made sure to let her know that all of her default apps would only be apples. That shocked her, obviously.
- They also rent movies play store for the chromecast.
- The always listening ok google now, driving mode, etc

She really has no idea what shes getting into. My brother in law is a small town farmer that is obsessed with the idea that everything not american is shit. Since moto got sold to china hes now on the apple train.

Give me some ammo!!

uh so I ordered a Note 4 from ebay with buy it now from some ebay store. They said brand new and factory unlocked. And they send me an obviously used with reattached stickers and AT&T branding w/ AT&T box. Was planning on using it on T-Mobile. Should I bother with the hassle of returning it or is there a way to check if its actually unlocked.

Can I still give negative feedback if I decide to keep it?

Link to the sale item? Depends on what it says exactly on the site and the pictures that were provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom