• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

-PXG-

Just looked at the MDP/T...

Jesus Christ. 10" 4k display, 7560 mAh battery, cameras capable of capturing 1080p @ 120 fps and 4k @ 60 fps

Is the 810 going to be that beast?

snacknuts

we all knew her
Is it possible that Chrome Beta gets lumped in with Android System or something on the battery usage page? Because it doesn't show up at all in the list of apps using my battery.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Guys, any idea where I can buy an unlocked (non-Verizon) Droid Turbo from in Toronto or New York?

I'll be visiting next month and would really like to pick this one up. Thanks.

Isn't the Droid line entirely a Verizon thing? In other words, I don't think an unlocked version exists.

sdijoseph

So, if I buy a nexus 6 from Motorola now for the full price, will I be saving money on my actual plan price from Verizon vs if I bought one for $250 on contract sometime in the future?

thuway

So pre-order cancelled again for Nexus 6. Snapdragon 810 is too close to coming out and I'm hoping to score a Google Play Edition device for any of the myriad of phones coming. I'm hoping Sony joins the fray with Xperia Z4 Ultra Google Play Edition.

So pre-order cancelled again for Nexus 6. Snapdragon 810 is too close to coming out and I'm hoping to score a Google Play Edition device for any of the myriad of phones coming. I'm hoping Sony joins the fray with Xperia Z4 Ultra Google Play Edition.
How did you manage to place another one???

810 processors may end up coming out in the later half of next year which will be quite the wait. Of course, they'll be set with 4gb of ram, probably be 64-bit, and, have great QHD displays. If I could I'd wait too but my phone has to be retired by this year so I can't wait.

gcubed

Too close? 6-8 months. You can start talking about preordering the nexus 2015 though!

Isn't the Droid line entirely a Verizon thing? In other words, I don't think an unlocked version exists.

There is an unlocked model renamed Moto Maxx, supposedly launched in Brazil recently and expected in other countries soon.

Can the Verizon one be unlocked to use in other countries?

Every Verizon phone is unlocked.

So it can be used with any network/carrier, even outside the US?

npa189

So I've noticed one odd thing about Qi charging on the nexus 6, once it gets to 100% it will stop completely, then when it hits 99% it will start again. This starts a really annoying cycle with my cheap Qi charger that beeps every time something starts charging on it, so it wakes me up throughout the night. My nexus 5 never did this, not earth shattering, just a minor annoyance. Otherwise its a great phone, no complaints about the screen or battery here.

uh so I ordered a Note 4 from ebay with buy it now from some ebay store. They said brand new and factory unlocked. And they send me an obviously used with reattached stickers and AT&T branding w/ AT&T box. Was planning on using it on T-Mobile. Should I bother with the hassle of returning it or is there a way to check if its actually unlocked.

Can I still give negative feedback if I decide to keep it?

put a T-Mobile SIM in and see if it works.

a lesser man would just claim they sent a brick instead of a phone for their fuckery.

RedFyn

There is an unlocked model renamed Moto Maxx, supposedly launched in Brazil recently and expected in other countries soon.

Can the Verizon one be unlocked to use in other countries?

So it can be used with any network/carrier, even outside the US?
Does the turbo even have the bands you need?

NotBacon

uh so I ordered a Note 4 from ebay with buy it now from some ebay store. They said brand new and factory unlocked. And they send me an obviously used with reattached stickers and AT&T branding w/ AT&T box. Was planning on using it on T-Mobile. Should I bother with the hassle of returning it or is there a way to check if its actually unlocked.

Can I still give negative feedback if I decide to keep it?

That's what you get for upsetting the Nexus overlords.

This phone looks like a good alternative to the Nexus 6, IMHO.

You know it's just a MDP right? They're usually just a reference device for testing and such.

I thought GPlay devices were dead? They didn't do it with the GS5 or Z3, why would you expect them to start again?

So I've noticed one odd thing about Qi charging on the nexus 6, once it gets to 100% it will stop completely, then when it hits 99% it will start again. This starts a really annoying cycle with my cheap Qi charger that beeps every time something starts charging on it, so it wakes me up throughout the night. My nexus 5 never did this, not earth shattering, just a minor annoyance. Otherwise its a great phone, no complaints about the screen or battery here.

Did you disable encryption?

wilflare

Yep, it's great. Smooth, fast, nice animations. Not a lot of customization, but it gets the job done. It's one of my favorite SMS apps out of all that I've tried.

Edit:

Hmmm, so does this mean the 810 will arrive sooner than expected?

thanks! yeap - i'm thinking of dropping EvolveSMS (it's been great thus far) but getting the itch to try different things again

still waiting for Twitter for Android to support Dark Theme, multi-user (I'm on Talon)

Got Lollipop a few day ago, loving it so far, but did a factory reset yesterday to clear up the phone. Now Youtube links open up in the browser instead of the app, anyway to fix this? Clearing defaults doesn't work.

Hasney

Got Lollipop a few day ago, loving it so far, but did a factory reset yesterday to clear up the phone. Now Youtube links open up in the browser instead of the app, anyway to fix this? Clearing defaults doesn't work.

Got the same. It asked me the first time, but even selecting the YouTube app makes it open in the browser.

Also, damn that wifi drain. I get almost 20 hours with it off.

Hasney

No 810.

1189.gif

Looks like no Sony for me next year. Disappointed, but exp-

As for the Z4 Ultra, it is said to feature a 5.9" Triluminos display (not the rumored 6.4" panel, mind you), the same Snapdragon 805 chipset with 4 GB of RAM, but a lower-resolution, 16 MP camera with dual LED flash. Its other selling point will be an extremely thin chassis, to the tune of the amazing 5.7mm. Knowing Sony, and the fact that the original Z Ultra was long the thinnest smartphone on the market, we are inclined to believe that number.

edge-wwe.gif

Back in

Hasney

Giving the base model a QHD display while giving the Ultra a lower resolution display is peculiar. The larger screen would benefit from a 2k display. Maybe they're going for insane battery life?

Isn't the lower resolution part of the article talking specifically about the camera? That's how I read it.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
A friend was asking me about the G3 so I'm forwarding the question to you guys. I've seen it mentioned but I haven't seen thoughts on it in the past few pages.

Anyone mind sharing excerpts?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Well that does match the shitty as hell rumors that Qualcomm and TSMC are epically failing at production of 20 nm chips.

What's really gonna blow balls is if all of this years initial flagships have to use the 805. It's gonna be megafail of the highest caliber.

Groof

A friend was asking me about the G3 so I'm forwarding the question to you guys. I've seen it mentioned but I haven't seen thoughts on it in the past few pages.

Anyone mind sharing excerpts?
+ while plastic, it has a great feel in hand. Repels fingerprints like a boss.
+ snappy and responsive
+ camera focuses fast and takes great pictures
+ rear speaker is loud and clear

+/- LG's ui is decent and has many features by never feels overbearing. Ugly as sin though, but this is subjective.
+/- updates are an unknown, but LG Korea confirmed Lollipop for release at the end of this week over there.
+/- battery life is middling. 32gb owners are reporting better statistics, but it's neither good nor bad.

- the screen has an ugly sharpening filter applied to it, even though it's a 1440p display. Personally this was unacceptable. Some might not care though.

Hasney

Well that does match the shitty as hell rumors that Qualcomm and TSMC are epically failing at production of 20 nm chips.

What's really gonna blow balls is if all of this years initial flagships have to use the 805. It's gonna be megafail of the highest caliber.

Yup, will be the least interesting year for phones. Apples usual S refresh and Android flagships being the same chip, but trying to tell you the phone is now infinitely better.

On the other side, if the original rumour about Sony abandoning the 6 monthly refreshes are true, but the chips are ready for the S5/HTC M9, the regular Z4 will look terribly shitty by comparison.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
+ while plastic, it has a great feel in hand. Repels fingerprints like a boss.
+ snappy and responsive
+ camera focuses fast and takes great pictures
+ rear speaker is loud and clear

+/- LG's ui is decent and has many features by never feels overbearing. Ugly as sin though, but this is subjective.
+/- updates are an unknown, but LG Korea confirmed Lollipop for release at the end of this week over there.
+/- battery life is middling. 32gb owners are reporting better statistics, but it's neither good nor bad.

- the screen has an ugly sharpening filter applied to it, even though it's a 1440p display. Personally this was unacceptable. Some might not care though.
This is exactly what I needed yo read. Thank you for this!

Hasney

Well location unlock works great, but you might be right. Not experienced any myself, but looking at the site I downloaded it from, there were a lot of builds added in a very short space of time.

jesalr

Z4, if it really has those smaller top and bottom bezels, will be my next. Well, as long as they keep the battery life good.

I know you guys want the bleeding edge, but is there a real reason I should care about the 810 over the 805?

Groof

Z4, if it really has those smaller top and bottom bezels, will be my next. Well, as long as they keep the battery life good.

I know you guys want the bleeding edge, but is there a real reason I should care about the 810 over the 805?
People are excited for the 810 because it will be 64-bit. That's it.

Hasney

Here's a question based on that Z4 rumour article. if it still has the 4GB, which apparently needs 64-bit, wouldn't it need a 64-bit processor to take advantage of that even with the 64-bit OS, or am I missing something?

jesalr

People are excited for the 810 because it will be 64-bit. That's it.

That's what I figured. Sure, it'll be faster, but I feel like we're past the point of that mattering to me at least.

Here's a question based on that Z4 rumour article. if it still has the 4GB, which apparently needs 64-bit, wouldn't it need a 64-bit processor to take advantage of that even with the 64-bit OS, or am I missing something?

32bit memory space tops out at 4GB. Over 4GB would require 64bit.

McBryBry

Hey guys, I'm having a slight annoyance. I recently got my first Android phone, Xperia Z3v. I was using Hangouts for texting, but I hit a snag where messages would take forever to send, so I switched back to Messaging.

My new problem is, I use NILs for lock screen notifications. It's fantastic! Except when I swipe to open messages, I get this.

It happens nearly every single time. Anyone know what the issue is?

Lucius86

Banned
Is there a bit of a bug with Android with regards to data connectivity?

With my girlfriends old phone, every now and then data would just 'switch off'. Signal for calls/txts would be fine, but no data whatsoever. A reboot of the phone would resolve the issue. This was with Orange.

Her new phone (T-Mobile) does not have this problem, but my new Z3 on 3 has exactly the same symptoms. It typically happens when moving, i.e. on train/car journeys. Turning on/off airplane mode has no impact, and typically occurs when I left an area which had no signal into a new area that does.

This never happened on my Lumia 920/635.

Any suggestions? Very annoying having to reboot my phone all the time when moving around...

Hasney

32bit memory space tops out at 4GB. Over 4GB would require 64bit.

Yes, but there's other little bits of memory like cache dotted about. Running 4GB on a 32 bit CPU never gave a full 4GB. Doesn't matter though, I read something about the 805 over at anandtech:

Krait 450 also adds 36-bit LPAE (Large Physical Address Extensions) to enable memory support above 4GB. This is a similar path to what we saw desktop PCs take years ago, although I'd expect the transition to 64-bit ARMv8 to happen for Qualcomm next year.

So combined with the changes at the OS level to allow this, the CPU is fine too.

Samsung failing so bad makes me all tingly inside. Wallstreet Journal has a paywall so I'll quote mobile syrup reporting on it:

According to people familiar with the matter, Samsung is on the cusp of a major management shake-up. This news comes from the Wall Street Journal and stems from Samsung’s “brutal year” of witnessing a 60% drop in Q3 profits and declining smartphones shipments.

Lets see if they learned anything for next year. I feel like it's mostly shitty software that turn people off, too many problems. Second is obviously shitty design. And third because competition has gotten better (namely bigger iphones).

Pachimari

I'm just curious but how come Samsung became so successful in the first place?

Their aggressive marketing?

Because I have never been fond of their UI or hardware design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom