• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeppu

I'm just curious but how come Samsung became so successful in the first place?

Their aggressive marketing?

Because I have never been fond of their UI or hardware design.

It all started when people went to buy an iPhone and accidentally picked up a Galaxy S by mistake because they both had gallaries which bounced back to the previous photo if you failed to perform a full swipe.

Extremely aggressive marketing and big screens pretty much. Marketing wise, I always go back to this:

FDTBNu9.png

The problem is the product wasn't solid enough to back up the marketing. Yes a shitton of people got the S3 and a lot the S4 as well but for a lot of them it was the last samsung phone they ever used most likely because of the shitty experience they had considering all the problems with touchwiz.

Throw in other factors like apple increasing screen sizes, competition getting a bit better, and most importantly the "low end" taking over android (aka xiaomi) and there you have it.

SimleuqiR

Extremely aggressive marketing and big screens pretty much. Marketing wise, I always go back to this:

FDTBNu9.png

The problem is the product wasn't solid enough to back up the marketing. Yes a shitton of people got the S3 and a lot the S4 as well but for a lot of them it was the last samsung phone they ever used most likely because of the shitty experience they had considering all the problems with touchwiz.

Throw in other factors like apple increasing screen sizes, competition getting a bit better, and most importantly the "low end" taking over android (aka xiaomi) and there you have it.

Yeah...Sammy is getting rimmed from both ends. On the higher-end Apple is taking away the one thing that made them special (bigasscreen). On the lower end you have a company like Xiaomi building really nice looking hardware at an affordable price.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
People are excited for the 810 because it will be 64-bit. That's it.

Dude that's twice as many bits! Think of all the massive improvements. Gotta be at least squared times as good I think.

It's the first new chip built on 20nm vs 28nm.

Look I know we go overboard sometimes on how much power is really needed to just browse GAF or listen to music, but this really is a big jump.

We will be getting smaller node, new CPU as the krait line is done with the 805, new GPU, 64 bit, and potentially LPDDR4. That's massive.

The jump to 20nm could help with heat concerns as well ad battery life. To undersell the potential here would be wrong.

Jigolo

Y'all getting disappointed when QQ themselves said it wouldn't be ready Q1. I don't understand why you set yourselves up

Zeppu

It's the first new chip built on 20nm vs 28nm.

Look I know we go overboard sometimes on how much power is really needed to just browse GAF or listen to music, but this really is a big jump.

We will be getting smaller node, new CPU as the krait line is done with the 805, new GPU, 64 bit, and potentially LPDDR4. That's massive.

The jump to 20nm could help with heat concerns as well ad battery life. To undersell the potential here would be wrong.

No no, I know I was being facetious but I agree with you. I find the jump in 64 bit on its own to be mostly superfluous (at this stage) but the jump in thinness of the SoC wafer actually gets me more excited because of the better power consumption and therefore battery life.

Symphonia

Banned
I'm loving my new S5, it feels so superior compared to my old Nexus 5. Not sure how I feel about the OS being all Samsung'd to the max, mind.

gcubed

Y'all getting disappointed when QQ themselves said it wouldn't be ready Q1. I don't understand why you set yourselves up

Not sure why some people think it will be ready for the next set of Sammy and htcs. Either those flagship's will get delayed or they will have the 805s again. The chip won't be in anything before summer at the earliest

Vanillalite

Not sure why some people think it will be ready for the next set of Sammy and htcs. Either those flagship's will get delayed or they will have the 805s again. The chip won't be in anything before summer at the earliest

In theory they've had forever and a day to work on this though. The 801 was jys a remixed 800 and the 805 just a small krait line bump.

I mean I get that it probably not gonna be ready, but just wtf is Qualcomm doing for the past 18 months.

In theory they've had forever and a day to work on this though. The 801 was jys a remixed 800 and the 805 just a small krait line bump.

I mean I get that it probably not gonna be ready, but just wtf is Qualcomm doing for the past 18 months.

Perhaps they're giving Nvidia a chance.

Toki767

Maybe they're having trouble with production. Someone here said they were getting horrible yields.

Vanillalite

Maybe they're having trouble with production. Someone here said they were getting horrible yields.

Oh I don't doubt it.

I'm with GCubed though that they probably have put this off till they had to so they could squeeze as much out of the 28nm as they could. Now that they have to make the move they are having yield issues. Wouldn't matter as much if they had been working hard on this for the past year and a half vs putting it off tho.

Sucks, but it is what it is. Will be interesting to see CES. I wonder if Nvidia could get their K1 Denver successor out before the 810. If so would anyone use it?

In the US the S3 was the first Android phone available to all the major carriers without any major changes in design. That was a huge step forward. People can hate on them on their UI and all, but without them android wouldn't be where they are now this quickly.

Vanillalite

I'm not sure having Qualcomm be the majority supplier to all cell phones for android is in anyones best interest

I mean you could say the same thing about everyone under the sun using ARM designs, but it is what it is.

It's a highly skilled highly expensive area of business to just try and get into. Plus there are only so many chip fabs too which is why you always see the same like 2 names in TSMC and Global pop up in like every article. Granted IBM has some of their own stuff now too.

I don't disagree, but I also don't know how anyone can really step in and create competition. It's just not an easy proposition other than an existing company like Intel or AMD finally really making something that is truly ARM/Qualcomm competitive.

Vanillalite

Wish Anandtech could buy one of the reference devices and then benchmark the shit out of it.

Would be the article of my dreams.

Husker86

Is there a bit of a bug with Android with regards to data connectivity?

With my girlfriends old phone, every now and then data would just 'switch off'. Signal for calls/txts would be fine, but no data whatsoever. A reboot of the phone would resolve the issue. This was with Orange.

Her new phone (T-Mobile) does not have this problem, but my new Z3 on 3 has exactly the same symptoms. It typically happens when moving, i.e. on train/car journeys. Turning on/off airplane mode has no impact, and typically occurs when I left an area which had no signal into a new area that does.

This never happened on my Lumia 920/635.

Any suggestions? Very annoying having to reboot my phone all the time when moving around...

Definitely not a widespread bug...that would be kinda huge.

I've never had it happen to any of my Android phones. I'd reach out to your carrier, though it's probably a device software issue; but that would be on Sony's end, or maybe with the carrier customizations of Sony's ROM.

gcubed

I mean you could say the same thing about everyone under the sun using ARM designs, but it is what it is.

It's a highly skilled highly expensive area of business to just try and get into. Plus there are only so many chip fabs too which is why you always see the same like 2 names in TSMC and Global pop up in like every article. Granted IBM has some of their own stuff now too.

I don't disagree, but I also don't know how anyone can really step in and create competition. It's just not an easy proposition other than an existing company like Intel or AMD finally really making something that is truly ARM/Qualcomm competitive.

I'm mainly just talking about nvidia here. My only guess with Samsung is they have some kind of deal not to enter the market globally.

Intel is getting there, I'd really like to see them given a chance when they are finally ready (next year it seems).

You could say the same thing about Intel and PCs and that's arguably worked out pretty well so far.

It has, true, but the PC CPU performance market plateaued a few years ago, and no matter how small, Intel still greets issue from AMD and to a lesser extent, ARM.

Drifters

Samsung failing so bad makes me all tingly inside. Wallstreet Journal has a paywall so I'll quote mobile syrup reporting on it:

Lets see if they learned anything for next year. I feel like it's mostly shitty software that turn people off, too many problems. Second is obviously shitty design. And third because competition has gotten better (namely bigger iphones).

Samsung would be wise to follow Moto's route of making apps outside the AOSP and have that build the experience which is vslue-add rather than value-suck.

Toki767

I don't really expect much new from Samsung. Same guy who was in charge of everything is now only in charge of mobile so I'm not sure how that changes anything.

j-wood

After being on T-Mobile for almost a year, I've decided to go back to Verizon. I love everything about TMO except for the network. Great in the city, shit when I leave it or go into a building.

So I'm grabbing the DROID turbo from Verizon. The sucky thing is that I recently jumped to the Z3, so I'll have to pay it off and hopefully sell it. Whats the best way to try and sell it for a decent price? Do TMO phones even sell well with jump existing?

After being on T-Mobile for almost a year, I've decided to go back to Verizon. I love everything about TMO except for the network. Great in the city, shit when I leave it or go into a building.

So I'm grabbing the DROID turbo from Verizon. The sucky thing is that I recently jumped to the Z3, so I'll have to pay it off and hopefully sell it. Whats the best way to try and sell it for a decent price? Do TMO phones even sell well with jump existing?

It would be unethical to sell the phone still under an eip. Some sites wouldn't even let you do it.

Waiting for my One M7 to be repaired and returned has been excruciating :(

Hasney

I've just realised that no-one I know has had more than one Samsung. Sure, they'll jump into one of the S series, but never continue with them. Either go to another Android brand or to Apple.

Toki767

I've just realised that no-one I know has had more than one Samsung. Sure, they'll jump into one of the S series, but never continue with them. Either go to another Android brand or to Apple.

My brother has had every Galaxy S phone. I asked him why he doesn't just get another phone yesterday and his comment was "I don't want a bigger phone and I'm used to Galaxy phones".

I've had 3. The Droid Charge was easily the shittiest, but I rather liked my S2 and S3.

thuway

A friend was asking me about the G3 so I'm forwarding the question to you guys. I've seen it mentioned but I haven't seen thoughts on it in the past few pages.

Anyone mind sharing excerpts?

The screen has issues with overheating and disabling your ability to turn the brightness higher, camera has pretty cool features and is one of the better ones, OS is less offensive than Touchwiz, not as nice as Sony's implementation, and the build quality / aesthetics are the best for minimalistic form factor. Get it if you can find it cheaper since its an older phone.

McBryBry

My dad just went from a 3 to a 5. He's the only one I know though. My brother got a 5 too, but he's never owned one.

thuway

My dad just went from a 3 to a 5. He's the only one I know though. My brother got a 5 too, but he's never owned one.

I've owned a Galaxy S2, Skyrocket, Note 1, S3, Note 2, S4, Note 3 - and now I'm looking for a way out. With every single one I've installed Cyanogenmod or an AOSP like rom. I think I'm done with the headaches of nightly builds, glitchy touchwiz performance, and design language that is inspired by Crayola.

Honestly, the OLED screen was one of the primary determinants of me sticking around. The solid battery life and exceptional camera also were there to boot. However, the Samsung package, no matter how impressive the hardware- has an UNEXPLICABLE amount of jank and clumsiness.

You might have metal on the Note 4, but S-Voice is still a hindrance. You might have incredible battery life, but what's it matter when the phone fights you tooth and nail to push Samsung "innovations". Swiping up - gives you Flipboard or My Magazine or whatever the shit they are calling it. It's just not worth it, and the "experience" can only be endured for so long. At least for me.

If Samsung wants to win over Android fans in masse, there is an easy solution:
1. Offer a Google Play Edition of any existing flagship phone (Note / S) at a fee.
2. Trim the fat on Touchwiz. Call it Advanced Mode, Pure Mode, Performance Mode- whatever you want to cal it.
3. Hire a designer that doesn't watch Nick Jr.

VoxPop

The Note 4 I bought ended up being unlocked so I decided to just keep it and activate it on T-Mobile. Still has all that lovely AT&T bloat though.

Touchwiz is lame but the hardware is pretty great.

Got to check out the Nexus 6 and I wasn't impressed at all by the hardware but Lollipop is pretty great.

Will probably hold off on that and wait for the Z4. First time with the Z3 and that thing was a beauty.

Zozz

Banned
Just bought me a Galaxy S5 for $1 at Best Buy. I've always been a HTC guy and had an M7 and M8, lost both. I was tempted to buy the Nexus 6 but with the lack of external SD support it bummed my day. Picked up a 64GB card and Lifeproof case, real cheap, gotta love the employee discount.

Just bought me a Galaxy S5 for $1 at Best Buy. I've always been a HTC guy and had an M7 and M8, lost both. I was tempted to buy the Nexus 6 but with the lack of external SD support it bummed my day. Picked up a 64GB card and Lifeproof case, real cheap, gotta love the employee discount.

?????

Vanillalite

Find my phone exists for people like you

VoxPop

You should have invested in an insurance plan instead.

Zozz

Banned
Yeah, I lost my M8 river kayaking, went back to my m7 and lost that one cave exploring. Been using my HTC 4G LTE for like a month. Thing was so bad.

I always get insurance, it never covered lost or stolen, but this time I made sure of it!!

Yeah, I lost my M8 river kayaking, went back to my m7 and lost that one cave exploring. Been using my HTC 4G LTE for like a month. Thing was so bad.

I always get insurance, it never covered lost or stolen, but this time I made sure of it!!
My take away from this is that you live an interesting life. Cave exploring? Are you starring in the Uncharted movie?
Lol

Should've gotten an S5 Active and pick up a G Watch R while you're at it. The ultimate outdoorsman.

Zozz

Banned
I'm a bit of an explorer, I had a lot of downtime this summer to enjoy those hobbies. I got the S5 because I felt like it would be a well supported device from the mod community. I intent to root and slap stock on this bad boy.

Sch1sm

Is it just me, or is Volta a joke? Had L since the image was up. I see no difference. Drained battery first thing, naturally. Still barely scratch 3h screen time. Just gonna start looking into external bat. cases. Any recommendations?

NotBacon

Is it just me, or is Volta a joke? Had L since the image was up. I see no difference. Drained battery first thing, naturally. Still barely scratch 3h screen time. Just gonna start looking into external bat. cases. Any recommendations?

Others are reporting significant gains *shrug*

Hopefully you'll see a difference when more apps update to use the JobScheduler API

Sch1sm

Others are reporting significant gains *shrug*

Hopefully you'll see a difference when more apps update to use the JobScheduler API

*needs citations. Who are others? I've hardly heard good. It's pretty much on par with Kit Kat for me, no better at least. Doubt those updates will appear any time soon. Which brings me back to the focal point of battery cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom