• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

zbeeb

Volta's big 'thing' is the new job scheduler API, which developers have to implement in their apps before we'll start to see significant improvements in battery life.

Nonetheless, that will probably only improve standby, not screen on time.

Husker86

Volta's big 'thing' is the new job scheduler API, which developers have to implement in their apps before we'll start to see significant improvements in battery life.

Exactly. I mean, that's great and all as Android standby can't touch iOS, but it isn't going to be some huge difference even once developers implement it.

If Samsung wants to win over Android fans in masse, there is an easy solution:
1. Offer a Google Play Edition of any existing flagship phone (Note / S) at a fee.
2. Trim the fat on Touchwiz. Call it Advanced Mode, Pure Mode, Performance Mode- whatever you want to cal it.
3. Hire a designer that doesn't watch Nick Jr.

1. I'm pretty sure the GE Galaxy S4 sold like shit, so you probably won't see them jump too fast into that again, otherwise they would have with the S5.

2. You can install a custom rom to get stripped down touchwiz now without all the bloatware or uninstall most of the apps you don't want.

3. Hopefully they will start fresh with Lollipop on new devices that come with that from the factory.

I've had a Galaxy S3 and S4 and both were great. Will probably get the S6 if it has a Snapdragon 810 or just do the One Plus 2 that will probably come with it.

terrier

Agree. Let's se what apps may benefit from volta. I guess ,messaging and social ones, and those with push notifications would be the ones. But wasn't that already available with Google services? many apps use them so they do not use their own push services.

I also have seen that my nexus 5 may behave a little better when idle but SoT is the same and chrome still is a huge battery drainer.

Btw, anyone know any good (free) app to edit/recode videos? 1080p mp4 vids i record are HUGE and would like to make them smaller but keeping decent quality. Some of them need to be rotated 90% degrees ^^

Oh, i guess all this samsung hate is kinda justified, but really, they make nice phones, yes TW is not perfect but the same can be said for most skins, some are lighter, sure, but they offer almost nothing above stock. At least samsung gives some extra functionality. My opinion is that they should make it optional, that would be a win-win situation for all.

I think the issue is that people thought Volta would magically make their batteries bigger

I wouldn't say that, but some people were definitely convinced that it would turn a mediocre or "acceptable" battery (according to reviews) into a good one and we'd all just have to wait for L. Can't remember who said that, though.

Also, where the hell is my Google Play services update, Google? I want a pretty new update screen and trusted locations!

j-wood

For anyone that has the Droid Turbo.

Have you been successful with wireless charging? I have the nexus magnetic wireless charger back from when I had a nexus 5 and I tried to use that last night. When I put the turbo on it, it seems to recognize it, because I get this like weird smaller desktop screen. But it doesn't seem to charge the phone.

NotBacon

I wouldn't say that, but some people were definitely convinced that it would turn a mediocre or "acceptable" battery (according to reviews) into a good one and we'd all just have to wait for L. Can't remember who said that, though.

I was specifically referring to a certain device, not that specifics matter ;)

SugarDave

Not really sure where to post this and I don't think it's worth making a thread for so I'll try my luck here. For UK folk, what is T-Mobile's policy on their unlimited data plans? I found a contract on a Z3 Compact that's quite enticing but I know that Three are the only ones who actually do unlimited data. Is there anything I should know before I possibly order this?

JCX

I'm thinking about getting my niece one of those kid android tablets for Christmas, but I also have an OG Nexus 7. Are there any good apps or custom launchers to kid-proof a tablet?

RedFyn

I'm thinking about getting my niece one of those kid android tablets for Christmas, but I also have an OG Nexus 7. Are there any good apps or custom launchers to kid-proof a tablet?
There are but I've never used them so I can't recommend any. Just search kid mode launcher/parental control etc..

Lollipop has app pinning, which it sounds like you want, so I'd get the 2013 Wifi N7.
I've seen this posted a few times and I don't understand it. In my experience kids almost never stay in one app. This works fine if you're sitting next to them and don't mind unpinning and repinning constantly. And that only works until they figure out how to unpin it themselves.

this_guy

Look into Amazons Kindle Fire HD6. $100 and there's built in parental controls/multiple user profiles. There's also a Kids Edition version that includes a protective case.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

You can set up restricted profiles on Android tablets (at least stock ones), letting you choose which apps that user has access to, etc. Should do what you want.

(For some inexplicable reason this is not possible on phones, they only allow you to create regular users that can basically do anything, but that's beside the point I guess.)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Look into Amazons Kindle Fire HD6. $100 and there's built in parental controls/multiple user profiles. There's also a Kids Edition version that includes a protective case.

This! Get her a kindle kids edition.

j-wood

For those that have a Moto X on verizon...for some reason I'm having second thoughts on the Droid Turbo, and thinking about swapping it for the Moto X. The designs of the Moto X just look so good...

For those that have a Moto X on verizon...for some reason I'm having second thoughts on the Droid Turbo, and thinking about swapping it for the Moto X. The designs of the Moto X just look so good...

Seems the tradeoff will be looks vs better battery life so that's up to you. The Nylon black ain't no slouch doe.

So what is the final verdict of the N9? I have the N9 but it is still sitting in the box. I don't care for gaming but the Nvdia Shield is something that I was looking at. Don't care for gaming but am interested in watching vids, browsing, etc. I would just stick with the N9 but 32gb just seems way to small to store vids and whatnot.

Zeppu

So what is the final verdict of the N9? I have the N9 but it is still sitting in the box. I don't care for gaming but the Nvdia Shield is something that I was looking at. Don't care for gaming but am interested in watching vids, browsing, etc. I would just stick with the N9 but 32gb just seems way to small to store vids and whatnot.

I have an N9 and I give it a meh/10.

Pros:
+ Display is nice
+ Feels nice to the touch

Cons:
- Battery life is mediocre at best
- Performance sucks. Very slow overall to switch apps. Once you're in an app it's mostly okay though.
- Gets warm really fast
- Buttons are terrible
- Tons of bugs in Lollipop still, even on the Nexus.

Honestly, I'm quite unhappy with it but it's unfeasible for me to return it so I'll just suck it up and hope future updates fix up some of the cons.

Lollipop on the Nexus 5 is terrific though. Much smoother and quick overall. Probably something to do with the lack of device encryption.

Hasney

If I was in the market for a tablet, I'd be all over the Shield. Sure, it's slightly smaller, but for the same money as a 16gb WiFi Nexus, you can get a 32gb LTE Shield. On black Friday, they're even throwing in the joy pad (and native Half Life 2, in case people still haven't got it).

I think k it even got Lollipop before the non-new Nexus devices they were that quick.

jesalr

I'm having memory issues in lollipop on my N5.

Pocketcasts will crash. The launcher will have to redraw items whenever I go back home.

I had this issue in the first preview, but didn't expect it in the final version.

NotBacon

I'm having memory issues in lollipop on my N5.

Pocketcasts will crash. The launcher will have to redraw items whenever I go back home.

I had this issue in the first preview, but didn't expect it in the final version.

I really am curious as to why half of the Nexus 5 Lollipop updaters are having battery life issues, UI redrawing, sluggishness, etc., while the other half are reporting the exact opposite.

Dirty flashes are probably a factor, but I feel like there is something else at play here...

jesalr

I really am curious as to why half of the Nexus 5 Lollipop updaters are having battery life issues, UI redrawing, sluggishness, etc., while the other half are reporting the exact opposite.

Dirty flashes are probably a factor, but I feel like there is something else at play here...

I wasn't having these issues before, and they don't happen when I restart, only after a while of using.

White the preview, it was a full wipe before I flashed. Another full wipe to go back to 4.4, and an OTA to go up to 5.0.

I'm not having any other issues except weird memory problems.

Toki767

I wasn't having these issues before, and they don't happen when I restart, only after a while of using.

White the preview, it was a full wipe before I flashed. Another full wipe to go back to 4.4, and an OTA to go up to 5.0.

I'm not having any other issues except weird memory problems.

Android Police just put up an article about memory bugs today.

Husker86

I did a clean install of both the preview and final build of 5.0.

I get homescreen redraws more often than not. Restarting the phone seems to fix it for about 1 day (it just makes it slightly better, redraws still happen).

This happened in KitKat, too.

It's just silly.

Standby battery is at least kinda decent for me...

If you do some research from users in forums you will find the shield is riddled with issues. The nexus 9 has some issues but were not sure if all of those are permanent since lollipop is pretty rough.

I have the 9 and although its over priced I love it.

MarkusRJR

Fuck AMOLED displays. Been using a temporary S3 and on dark theme GAF there is insane purple ghosting when scrolling. Mostly on the username/avatar sections of each post.

How is this a thing? :/

I have an N9 and I give it a meh/10.

Pros:
+ Display is nice
+ Feels nice to the touch

Cons:
- Battery life is mediocre at best
- Performance sucks. Very slow overall to switch apps. Once you're in an app it's mostly okay though.
- Gets warm really fast
- Buttons are terrible
- Tons of bugs in Lollipop still, even on the Nexus.

Honestly, I'm quite unhappy with it but it's unfeasible for me to return it so I'll just suck it up and hope future updates fix up some of the cons.

Lollipop on the Nexus 5 is terrific though. Much smoother and quick overall. Probably something to do with the lack of device encryption.
nexus 9 was such a disappointment, bahh.

That nokia/foxconn tablet looks hot. Runs stock right? They should release that shit asap in NA.

Husker86

Fuck AMOLED displays. Been using a temporary S3 and on dark theme GAF there is insane purple ghosting when scrolling. Mostly on the username/avatar sections of each post.

How is this a thing? :/

The short time I had an S4 I noticed that. I'm curious if the Nexus 6 has something similar.

It's really pretty bad. It almost made white text while scrolling unreadable.

I hate lollipop on my nexus 5 so far.

Going back to home screen has a huge dumb load time now, chrome crashes, chrome makes pocket casts shut off/crash.

Bleh!! Everything just seems a little worse now with lollipop.

PS. I also hate the bug where if I press space twice for a period it deletes the last lette . letter.

Hasney

That was an unexpected surprise.

Now they need to the remove the mini apps from the recents, and everything's perfect... Other than a 5.0 update.

Honestly, the amount of bugs people are still reporting, this might be one of the times it's better to be on an OEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom