• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question, why do you swap so much?

I just love technology, I like having the best of things...I like tinkering and flashing and all that stuff. I don't get blinded by brand loyally, If one brand or device delivers, I will go to that device. If a company screw up their device, I don't sugar coat their short coming....

I had the Z1,Z2, and Z3. Sony did a good job progressing but their built quality(z1 had the best built quality) and dev community is lacking. But out of the box the Z3 pretty much delivers .. top tier battery life, pretty decent screen, solid performance, and solid software with not so intrusive bloat. All this out of the box without having to wait or hopeful for an "update".

Camera viewfinder seem to be sluggish compare to the Z2 though, and picture quality is hit or miss..mostly miss. I compared the picture with an iphone 6+ and it was sad =(

I never used the playstation remote play cause I don't have any games for ps4.

Had my hand on a note 4 and I like what I see....

I just love technology, I like having the best of things...I like tinkering and flashing and all that stuff. I don't get blinded by brand loyally, If one brand or device delivers, I will go to that device. If a company screw up their device, I don't sugar coat their short coming....

I had the Z1,Z2, and Z3. Sony did a good job progressing but their built quality(z1 had the best built quality) and dev community is lacking. But out of the box the Z3 pretty much delivers .. top tier battery life, pretty decent screen, solid performance, and solid software with not so intrusive bloat. All this out of the box without having to wait or hopeful for an "update".

Camera viewfinder seem to be sluggish compare to the Z2 though, and picture quality is hit or miss..mostly miss. I compared the picture with an iphone 6+ and it was sad =(

Hmmm that's odd. Z3 has a pretty good camera according to all of the reviews and personal hands on.

Groof

That's a great sentiment, and I share it wholeheartedly. But how is it sustainable? How do you even manage to afford?

VoxPop

That's a great sentiment, and I share it wholeheartedly. But how is it sustainable? How do you even manage to afford?

My guess is he doesnt keep all the devices at once which is what I do. I usually get sick of an OS/phone within 6 months to a year. I buy my devices at full retail so I'm not bound to a contract and resell the phone when I'm done which makes the next device easily affordable at $200-300 when it comes around. Resell value varies by phone but the iPhone usually retains it the best. $200-300 every 6 months to a year depending on how much I love the phone isn't bad at all.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
My guess is he doesnt keep all the devices at once which is what I do. I usually get sick of an OS/phone within 6 months to a year. I buy my devices at full retail so I'm not bound to a contract and resell the phone when I'm done which makes the next device easily affordable at $200-300 when it comes around. Resell value varies by phone but the iPhone usually retains it the best. $200-300 every 6 months to a year depending on how much I love the phone isn't bad at all.

Wish I could afford that. Bought a car, got a house, and have a family instead. LoL

Groof

Sure I get that. But you're working with a constant loss there. You will never get 100% back of what you paid for the device.

VoxPop

Sure I get that. But you're working with a constant loss there. You will never get 100% back of what you paid for the device.

The constant loss isn't a big deal. I just consider it something like a "rental" fee. I tinker and play with the device to no end for that year so I usually get the most out of it. Kinda like leasing a car without the mileage limit. Always having the latest and greatest is worth it for me.

Hmmm that's odd. Z3 has a pretty good camera according to all of the reviews and personal hands on.

You have to mess with the settings. Superior auto is not that good. If you want to take a photo spontaneously the Iphone 6+ will always take a better picture.

but to be fair...I think most android camera falls behind the Iphones.

Its always a loss, there's no other way....I just go cheap on other things lol

This pretty much....

I'm constantly on my phone so its worth it..

Vanillalite

I'm with you. I get it if you do it once a year cause you sell your old phone, but damn wish I had the luxury of doing it every few months. Just can't reasonablly dip into savings like that.

Pretty much.

I'd like to be able to think like that, and on top of it actually do it. I just don't see the point. But good for you guys, you get to do what few others can. So yeah, I'm jelly.

No need to be jelly....like I said, I go cheap on other stuff. I'm always on my phone and other hobbies took a back seat...

NotBacon

Trying out this full retail price for a phone + no contract and it seems right for me. I'll be able to get next years Nexus 7
lol
at a decent price after selling my Nexus 6 if I choose.

Vanillalite

Trying out this full retail price for a phone + no contract and it seems right for me. I'll be able to get next years Nexus 7
lol
at a decent price after selling my Nexus 6 if I choose.

Make sure you get a nice case. You can get so much more cash on a resell for a really prestine used phone vs something semi worn.

Husker86

Well I'm probably older than some in here, and I need to save for retirement/college fund if I want to be a reasonably smart human being and don't want to work till I die. :p

lol

Are you saying people who buy more than one phone a year aren't saving for retirement and are dumb?

(I know that's not what you're saying)

It's not really that hard to comprehend people spending a few hundred a year for something they probably use more than anything else in their daily lives.

Honestly, the faster you flip your phone the more you save, really. It still has a decent resale price on Swappa. iPhones are definitely the best though. Getting the new iPhone every years costs maybe $150-200.

Vanillalite

Are you saying people who buy more than one phone a year aren't saving for retirement and are dumb?

(I know that's not what you're saying)

It's not really that hard to comprehend people spending a few hundred a year for something they probably use more than anything else in their daily lives?

Honestly, the faster you flip your phone the more you save, really. It still has a decent resale price on Swappa. iPhones are definitely the best though. Getting the new iPhone every years costs maybe $150-200.

To be fair some people get a new phone every month or two not every year. I've seen some of the pics from GAFers. LoL

Hasney

To be fair, you get a doctorate in funk and you're pretty certain you're going to earn enough money to blow a few measley phones.

kehs

Banned
zeppu, your beta bubble is making my opera windows disappear on expose/mission control on mac osx. I had to remove it. (i'm using opera side by side with chrome)

I like my usual new phone every year pace but I guess I'd skip a year if I was REALLY happy with my device and literally nothing better was released. Eager to get a good android phone though but I'm just waiting to see what OnePlus 2/Nexus 7/MotoX(2015) look like. Everything else sucks.

My only worry now about upgrading next year is will there be a phone that isn't gigantic for me to upgrade to?
we just have to hope. I only mention OnePlus 2 because they have admitted that they heard all the complaints that the device was too big so there's hope that they will make a smaller one but who knows if that will be the 2.

I refuse to buy any phone that isn't running some form of stock so the Z4C won't matter. I included Moto X 2015 because if they stick to 5.2 inches then odds are that might be the smallest premium android phone available running a form of stock :|

Nexus is always a wild card.

Sch1sm

we just have to hope. I only mention OnePlus 2 because they have admitted that they heard all the complaints that the device was too big so there's hope that they will make a smaller one but who knows if that will be the 2.

I refuse to buy any phone that isn't running some form of stock so the Z4C won't matter. I included Moto X 2015 because if they stick to 5.2 inches then odds are that might be the smallest premium android phone available running a form of stock :|

Nexus is always a wild card.

Maybe they'll make a OnePlus Mini alongside the OnePlus 2.
We can pray. Maybe it won't compromise anything too much, as well, but it'd be more work for them.

Al-ibn Kermit

I got a Nexus 5 about 8 months ago and have been having battery issues for the past week, so this was before I updated to Android 5 but after installing Vega Conflict which uses a decent amount of battery. Basically what has happened in the past week is the battery runs down in under an hour of regular screen on time (no games). The battery indicator would still say that it has at least over 50% remaining but it would still shut itself off. I would try turning it on again 10 minutes later and the battery would drop a few percent like on a normal boot up (ie:50%->45%) and then the phone would get another 15 minutes of use with seemingly normal discharge before shutting itself down again with plenty of indicated battery life remaining.

I looked up some tips for checking what the problem is and am trying it right now in safe mode. Then this is what I got after leaving it off the charger for 3 hours:
6pQmV8E.jpg

Which is wtf. I've seen Android battery life hop a few percent up sometimes while not charging but not double digits. During this time, the phone wqsmt charged at all and the screen had been on for 85 minutes and the only thing its been used for today is web browsing and email. Also for some reason the list of processes consuming the battery only add up to 13% which is really unusual. For reference, a month ago I could get 4-5 hours screen time with normal processea or 2-3 playing something like GTA: San Andreas. I don't know if the battery needs to be recalibrated or if it is just suddenly dying.

Furyous

My only worry now about upgrading next year is will there be a phone that isn't gigantic for me to upgrade to?

Look at like this:

If there aren't any small phones (sub 5.2 inches at best) then the 2014 small phones are at least $100 cheaper. I've had my eyes on a the Z3C for a minute but refuse to spend money on it when the Z4/possible Z4C is due to come out in five months. The iphone 6S should be out that year so Android OEMs can feel free to dismiss an entire segment of consumers... again, minus Sony of course.

How do we feel about this made in Germany phone?

Elchele

I'm trying to decide between the Moto G and Moto G (2014). Anyone has owned both? I would like to know your opinion. The 2014 G looks a bit too big. (I have only seen photos)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I think this location-based smart lock is probably gonna murder my battery. The location icon pops up every single time I unlock the phone now, that can't be very healthy. I mean, I understand why it needs to happen, but yeah, we'll see.

NotBacon

I think you people gave forgotten what the OG S4 non pro chipset really is.

Only Not Bacon feels my pain.

Yeah my Droid RAZR HD was to the point where it needed a reboot every 5 hours to achieve mediocrity lol.

Not feeling the pain anymore though. I'm now feeling 5.9 inches of pure sex under my fingertips.

Vanillalite

Yeah my Droid RAZR HD was to the point where it needed a reboot every 5 hours to achieve mediocrity lol.

Not feeling the pain anymore though. I'm now feeling 5.9 inches of pure sex under my fingertips.

Everyone hears S4 and thinks S4 Pro not shitty low clocked dual core with old GPU. Plus I have 1 gig of LPDDR2. 😑

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Smart lock keeps my phone unlocked way, WAY farther from my home than it should. I'm talking kilometers rather than 100m. In fact, I'm not sure it locked it at all until I did it manually. Surely that's not how it's supposed to work? It should lock automatically once you're out of a trusted zone, right?

Husker86

Smart lock keeps my phone unlocked way, WAY farther from my home than it should. I'm talking kilometers rather than 100m. In fact, I'm not sure it locked it at all until I did it manually. Surely that's not how it's supposed to work? It should lock automatically once you're out of a trusted zone, right?

You weren't in your car and had that registered as a trusted Bluetooth device, were you?

Reckoner

I gave up on getting a Moto Maxx( international GSM Droid Turbo) ...they only sell it in south america and hard to import plus its sold out...

I will be swapping my international Xperia Z3 for a Note 4.

I'll come back for the Z4 though...

dayam..I had a HTC, LG, Sony, Samsung in less than a year...it's good to have no brand loyalty..

I don't consider myself loyal to any brand (lol), but right now just the Motorola phones overall experience and design appeal to me. Been having difficulty choosing one, though. I can get the Maxx, but would be imported and too expensive. I had the Moto X for a week, loved it, but decided that, if I'm going to really keep it, I need, at least, the 32gb version and would prefer the leather version. Nexus 6 is too big.

I really thought on getting the Xperia Z3, but some design and material choices just put me off. I see the glass on the back just doubling the problem if if eventually drops. Too fragile and blocky, and also the custom Android isn't a good point. Maybe the Z4 will get it exactly right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom