• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

XBP

For anyone who is interested, OnePlus One is available for $299(16GB) and $349(64GB) without any invites as part of OPO's black friday special.

terrier

I remember all the hype over dual, quad, octa core chips. All nearly meaningless in actual use. I don't care about benchmarks, do you hear me, 64 bit? My 64 bit N9 is not flawlessly fast. It's imperceptibly faster.

i kinda agree. if you are a gamer may find that extra power useful, but for using chrome, whatsapp and multimedia even snapdragon 400 seems to be delivering a great experience (only ram would be an issue since most of those smartphnes only have 1 gb). And i own a note 4.
I really haven't seen any problems since my old LGoptimus G and its quad core s4. All socs i have tried since have been a great experience. snapdragon 400, 800 and 805.

GP store sale is up, G watches for $99, but $10 shipping is such a turn off.
no euro love as usual :(

Reckoner

Will it be a huge jump? Yes

Worth the wait? Depends on what you have now

Remember each year in mobile we've had massive jumps. You can always wait for the next big thing, but then you'll always be waiting.

Current phones can browse and the web, check email, listen to music, and watch video just fine.

I don't know. Somehow, paying for a premium flagship, right now, doesn't seem as right as it should - but I feel like I really need a phone. Because of that, and because of so many good options on the market. Right now, I can get a Moto X 16gb leather for ~500 euros, but I don't know how well I'll manage to get through my everyday usage with that storage and a Xperia Z3 for around the same price. Also, I have thought of the Nexus 5, but the best deal I can get is 300 euros for the 16gbs version.

I'm now seeing that there is that SanDisk Dual Pen Drive solution. Maybe that would be useful and help me with my storage concerns on the Moto X. Does anyone use something like that?

Everyone is out doing some Black Friday shopping eh? I am too and I decided to get the Nexus 6 when it's cheaper. The dream is dead. I'll get a phone to last me into next year when the new phones come out. This wouldn't be the case if the Nexus 6 wasn't rarer than a unicorn that flys.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I don't know. Somehow, paying for a premium flagship, right now, doesn't seem as right as it should - but I feel like I really need a phone. Because of that, and because of so many good options on the market. Right now, I can get a Moto X 16gb leather for ~500 euros, but I don't know how well I'll manage to get through my everyday usage with that storage and a Xperia Z3 for around the same price. Also, I have thought of the Nexus 5, but the best deal I can get is 300 euros for the 16gbs version.

I'm now seeing that there is that SanDisk Dual Pen Drive solution. Maybe that would be useful and help me with my storage concerns on the Moto X. Does anyone use something like that?

You need to tell us your current device.

Vanillalite

I remember all the hype over dual, quad, octa core chips. All nearly meaningless in actual use. I don't care about benchmarks, do you hear me, 64 bit? My 64 bit N9 is not flawlessly fast. It's imperceptibly faster.

I do wonder how much of this is purely the 800 chips on up power wise including 64 bit Denver k1 have hit bandwidth limits of LPDDR3.

Won't happen, but would be interesting to see scores for say the 805 in the N6 paired with LPDDR4 vs LPDDR3 Anandtech style.

Well thanks goog for ruining my phone with this smooth and sexy experience and forcing me to factory reset.

Lollipop is apparently not meant for productivity (who needs productivity on a smartphone duh) but to have sexy smooth animations to fap to.

Impression on z3 -> note 4...

Battery life seem to be better on the z3..slightly...

Screen wise the note 4 is dimmer and less bluish..I kinda prefers the LCD of the z3. But that's me, the note screen very amazing and I would say its probably the best screen out right now, followed by M8 SLCD3 and iphone6+.

I am on team "no on screen button to waste screen real estate". I'm glad Samsung is still not using on screen buttons. That's one of the reason I think M7 > M8...

UI, no contest the xperia home is more elegant than touchwiz, I had to use nova on the note 4 to make it decent. Sony out of the box is good. But touchwiz ain't that bad if you thinker with it. No one really use the UI majority of the time on their phone.

Performance seem fine on both..kinda slightly better on the note..kinda

Sound, both are fine to me, they both ain't m8 quality.

Build quality of the note 4 is much better than the Sony..the xperia is pretty horrible, I actually had to exchange mine a few time to get a decent one...gaps and flaws everywhere. Note 4 is solid.

Camera is OK on both I say a tie. Too bad the note doesn't have a dedicated shutter button. I like the colors of the pictures on the Sony(I used an external monitor). But the note seem to be easier to get a decent shot.

Handling is not too bad on both..the bigger screen of the note 4 is nice and its actually not too bad to hold. This is my first phablet and I was really against it before. The z3 is pretty big itself so yeah.

I think both phone are top tier and probably the top 2 phones out right now. I had the lg G3 snap 805 version and that too was good but the battery life was average...once you experience z3 battery life level, its hard to go back to average. I wanted the moto maxx(gsm droid turbo) but importing it was hard. I was tempted to go with the nexus 6 but its weaker note 4, its dayam over price for what it is(not contract price). So yeah note 4, z3 and z3 compact is the phone I would easily recommend to anybody.

Anybody have smash4 I want some practice...

Vanillalite

It's an old phone. Sony Ericsson W200i. :(

Honestly you'll amazed with anything you get.

Current devices out will be awesome. To say the One M8 or S5 or N6 or LG3 or whatever won't blow you away would be a lie.

PS: A bunch of us in Android Hangout have Smash. Me, Broggie, Remy, Gwant, ect... all own.

I really feel like notifications (possibly my main reason of sticking with Android over iOS) took a step backwards on 5.0.

w02yD1i.png

I get that the background is dimmed, but it doesn't do enough to make the cards pop. They blend, visually, with the current app way too much. And this is a still so you can spend time to look at it statically, while when you're using your phone, you're just giving it a quick glance before tapping something, and this new style makes it confusing.

Also, the "pull down twice" for settings is annoying. Yes, it's still two actions, like it was in Kit Kat, but for whatever reason, repeating the same action twice is frustrating. Pulling then tapping an icon made much more sense to me "emotionally," or whatever the right term is, rather then pulling, having to interrupt, then pulling again. Edit: I had forgotten that you can still tap the status bar after pulling down to expand quick settings... probably because there's no visual indicator for it.

Also, the recents view is not as good in 5.0 either. This is not my image; it serves a purpose though:

Android-L-vs-KitKat-screenshots-multitasking.png

In the 4.x recents view, the apps were recognizable instantly. Each preserves its layout, which the user mentally associates with the app, and 4 are clearly visible at a time. In 5.0, the layouts are largely obscured, and play second fiddle to the HUUUUGE header bar, which is usually ugly. I know the idea is supposed to be that each app is color coded. But colors are not as associated with apps as shapes, layouts are.

Add to all this that my keyboard frequently disappears while typing, Music drops 'casting after a couple of songs, Chrome crashes, the homescreen redraws, and my Nexus 5 generally lags much more than it used to, and I'm an unhappy customer.

And I'm a huge AOSP apologist and defender, and applaud Google's relatively recent efforts to focus on design (I like that they got rid of SD cards and other functionality drawbacks). But it's hard to stomach this time around.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Pull down twice for quick settings definitely sucks, and for mostly irrational reasons like you tried to explain.

I prefer the SlimKat method, where you can swipe between quick settings and notifications. Side swiping is way more satisfying than swiping down for a second time.

Looking to upgrade my S2...

Is S4 a better choice than iphone 5S?

All I really do is text, listen to music, and use the net from time to time. Games seem like a good bonus on iPhone.

How are the Xperia phones? Are these three brands considered the top 3?

kehs

Banned
Yup, the recent apps are garbage in lollipop. Huge, huge misstep.

I haven't had too much time to use notifications since I use my n7 with L mainly for work to show stuff, but I agree with battesea. It's just doesn't feel right when I have to go in there to see check something.

Zeppu

Also, the "pull down twice" for settings is annoying. Yes, it's still two actions, like it was in Kit Kat, but for whatever reason, repeating the same action twice is frustrating. Pulling then tapping an icon made much more sense to me "emotionally," or whatever the right term is, rather then pulling, having to interrupt, then pulling again.

Not disagreeing with you or anything but you can still swipe down and tap on the grey bar at the top.

Edit: Beaten by yourself.

Reckoner

Honestly you'll amazed with anything you get.

Current devices out will be awesome. To say the One M8 or S5 or N6 or LG3 or whatever won't blow you away would be a lie.

PS: A bunch of us in Android Hangout have Smash. Me, Broggie, Remy, Gwant, ect... all own.

Am I going to be fine with Nexus 5? I kind of like that rubber-y back and I can get the 32gb version for 370 euros. The battery reports don't seem very good, but I hear that there are ways to improve it.

Vanillalite

Looking to upgrade my S2...

Is S4 a better choice than iphone 5S?

All I really do is text, listen to music, and use the net from time to time. Games seem like a good bonus on iPhone.

How are the Xperia phones? Are these three brands considered the top 3?

Don't get an S4. Get a N5, Moto X 2013, or LG G2 if you want a last year phone on the cheap.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Am I going to be fine with Nexus 5? I kind of like that rubber-y back and I can get the 32gb version for 370 euros. The battery reports don't seem very good, but I hear that there are ways to improve it.

If you can flash a rom, I would recommend the Oneplus One. The sandpaper back is amazing as well.

Why don't any phones have replaceable batteries these days? I've been looking for the Note 4 for about 3 weeks now but everywhere's out of stock, so I started looking at other options. But every phablet has 1) terrible battery life 2) unremovable battery. What a double whammy! I ain't no wall hugger. No excuses for Nexus 6 or OnePlus One, they're both plastic backs, and OnePlus One's is even removeable! :x

/rant

I think I'll jump on the Nexus 6 wagon and live frugally. Hopefully my newfound appreciation of Airplane Mode will get me through my otherwise heavy-usage day.

Vanillalite

Why don't any phones have replaceable batteries these days? I've been looking for the Note 4 for about 3 weeks now but everywhere's out of stock, so I started looking at other options. But every phablet has 1) terrible battery life 2) unremovable battery. What a double whammy! I ain't no wall hugger. No excuses for Nexus 6 or OnePlus One, they're both plastic backs, and OnePlus One's is even removeable! :x

/rant

I think I'll jump on the Nexus 6 wagon and live frugally. Hopefully my newfound appreciation of Airplane Mode will get me through my otherwise heavy-usage day.

LG G3 5.5" screen with a removable battery and an SD Card Slot. Boooom.

Milpool

Not disagreeing with you or anything but you can still swipe down and tap on the grey bar at the top.

Edit: Beaten by yourself.

You can still swipe down with 2 fingers to go right to quick settings as well, I think that was missing from the first developer preview.

LG G3 5.5" screen with a removable battery and an SD Card Slot. Boooom.

Wow, looks like I didn't see that one in the midst of my blind rage. It's not available on my carrier unfortunately but it does nullify my rant xD Still, there so are many great phones out there but with no replaceable battery it drops the ball :(

NotBacon

/rant

My Nexus 6 has been hitting 5hrs SoT easily every day so far. Not sure of your exact usage, as everyone is different, but it's very far from terrible.

Plus, if you're on a VERY heavy usage day or need it throughout the AM without a worry, plop it on the turbo charger for 15 minutes and you're set.

Don't get an S4. Get a N5, Moto X 2013, or LG G2 if you want a last year phone on the cheap.

Guys my trusty S3 seems to have lost it. I tried restoring and installing some mods but still the same. I guess hardware seems to have given up.

Anyway I'm not after the best of the best but just trusty phone that will have good battery and not be very large in my pocket. I already have iPhone 6 as my personal phone, this one will be my work phone, so a lot of calls and using it for navigation/audio books/google calendar.

I can hold out with S3 for a while if there is something worth waiting coming out in a few months I guess. Otherwise any ideas?

Guys my trusty S3 seems to have lost it. I tried restoring and installing some mods but still the same. I guess hardware seems to have given up.

Anyway I'm not after the best of the best but just trusty phone that will have good battery and not be very large in my pocket. I already have iPhone 6 as my personal phone, this one will be my work phone, so a lot of calls and using it for navigation/audio books/google calendar.

I can hold out with S3 for a while if there is something worth waiting coming out in a few months I guess. Otherwise any ideas?
maybe last years moto g fits that bill

z3 compact if it's not out of price range for battery + size

My Nexus 6 has been hitting 5hrs SoT easily every day so far. Not sure of your exact usage, as everyone is different, but it's very far from terrible.

Plus, if you're on a VERY heavy usage day or need it throughout the AM without a worry, plop it on the turbo charger for 15 minutes and you're set.

that is good to hear, still trying to get an N6 myself.

Majine

Banned
Software > Physical

That's one less button that can get damaged.

It could've been a touch button on the pretty big bezel instead and it wouldn't take up precious screen space.

Yeah, it's a 350 dollar off-contract phone, but they are doing the same for high-end priced N6.

Bri

So I ordered a Z2, since it was at a reduced price (300€). I hope I'll keep it. Tried it out in a store. That thing is huge.

Seems it has problems with the voice quality during calls though.

Sch1sm

Lollipop is a mess now? lol

Not in its entirety. Just the mixed reviews are, and the representation TouchWiz threw out - that bold colour. I've had no problems with it. Had a solid 13 hours of battery life and 3.5h SOT today, so. Works for me long as I get home with some juice left in my N5.

Jigolo

Far from a mess. Only a few bugs here and there aka any huge OS launch, OS X, iOS 8 included. Relatively, iOS 8 was a mess when it launched, even with the 8-9 different beta builds that come with it but if you compare the launch of iOS 8 to 5.0 the question of which launch was a mess becomes clear. That's coming from someone who loves their iPad.

Anyway, yeah few bugs here and there and a some backwards thinking (music controls on the lock screen). That being said fuck you, Google. I need my back to previous song button without expanding the notifications and fast forward music.

McBryBry

Sounds like your cell network AP isn't working correctly; you still getting calls and data? I would go into settings -> more -> cell networks -> access points and verify all your settings there by doing a quick google search. May be a bad port or proxy host that can send.

Calls and data work just fine. I went into access points and hit reset defaults. It's working fine, but I haven't sent a text in a little bit so idk if the reset fixed it or if it stopped doing it before that. If it comes back up, is there anything else I should try?

Update, this hasn't fixed the problem. My girlfriend is getting double texts again, usually about five minutes after the first one. Any other ideas?

kinggroin

Banned
The Nexus 6 camera is based as fuck. Z3 and Note 4 need to be tested next, but the N6 compares favorably against the iPhone 6+!

I have compares on my google+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom