• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrier

Smart lock keeps my phone unlocked way, WAY farther from my home than it should. I'm talking kilometers rather than 100m. In fact, I'm not sure it locked it at all until I did it manually. Surely that's not how it's supposed to work? It should lock automatically once you're out of a trusted zone, right?

That is why it makes no sense at all (well, w1ck3dn1nj4 nailed it, makes google sense) having location instead of wifi trusted sites. I am sure it is not reliable at all, and 100m is way too much , unless you are rich and live in Versailles palace or a similar place :p

Groof

That is why it makes no sense at all (well, w1ck3dn1nj4 nailed it, makes google sense) having location instead of wifi trusted sites. I am sure it is not reliable at all, and 100m is way too much , unless you are rich and live in Versailles palace or a similar place :p
This is probably because Google loves their location services and wants everything to work through that.

I agree though, safe WiFi is the ideal solution.

Zeppu

zeppu, your beta bubble is making my opera windows disappear on expose/mission control on mac osx. I had to remove it. (i'm using opera side by side with chrome)

Switch back to the stable from the web store, it should be up to date now. I literally have no idea how what you said would happen. :S

Quasar

Smart lock keeps my phone unlocked way, WAY farther from my home than it should. I'm talking kilometers rather than 100m. In fact, I'm not sure it locked it at all until I did it manually. Surely that's not how it's supposed to work? It should lock automatically once you're out of a trusted zone, right?

I have reverse probably. Despite smart lock I see the pin screen a lot inside my home.

Some people have had good experiences with it, some people haven't. Makes me assume it's a software issue.

Well tbh I feel like my Nexus 4 is dying anyway, even before the update. Read/write times seem to have decreased, the memory is probably worn off or something...Lollipop just gave it the last kick.

Also experiencing sync issues, cant sync anything since the update, not really in the mood to factory reset or re-add the google account, because a buggy software is forcing me to...

Ydahs

Upgraded my Nexus 4 to Lollipop today. The OS is bloody gorgeous.

Performance is good, better than expected, though there is an odd slowdown every once in a while. Battery lasted longer than usual too which is good to see. Good job googly.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So what do we think the odds are that when the 2015 crop of phones roll in 16 gig base has been phased out in favor of 32 gigs for flagship phones?

I assume at least in Android land once Samsung moves they all will move if they haven't already ie HTC and LG already go 32 gig base (at least in the US).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You weren't in your car and had that registered as a trusted Bluetooth device, were you?

Nope, don't have any trusted devices registered.

My phone did automatically lock after a while on the way home from work today (not while I was using it, but after turning the screen off and on again), so I guess it does work. It just seems to be rather slow to react on you leaving a trusted zone.

I have reverse probably. Despite smart lock I see the pin screen a lot inside my home.

I had that happen once yesterday, but most of the time it's been working as intended.

redlemon

Is the Note 2014 a decent enough tablet for web browsing? I have a cheap android tablet for comics at the moment but a shop near me has them reduced and I wouldn't mind a tablet that can load tumblr quickly, browse the web and draw on.

Vanillalite

Is the Note 2014 a decent enough tablet for web browsing? I have a cheap android tablet for comics at the moment but a shop near me has them reduced and I wouldn't mind a tablet that can load tumblr quickly, browse the web and draw on.

Provided you don't mind touchwiz it's fine. It's a Snap 800 chip with 3 gigs of RAM. You'll be fine even with the super high tea screen.

kinggroin

Banned
Fuck AMOLED displays. Been using a temporary S3 and on dark theme GAF there is insane purple ghosting when scrolling. Mostly on the username/avatar sections of each post.

How is this a thing? :/

The short time I had an S4 I noticed that. I'm curious if the Nexus 6 has something similar.

It's really pretty bad. It almost made white text while scrolling unreadable.

Shitty panels are a thing. Its not inherent to OLED as a technology.

And no, N6 doesn't exhibit purple trail.

Super tempted to upgrade (?-sidegrade? haha) from my Nexus 5 to a Z3C, it seems similar spec wise, but is smaller and has a way better battery life.

I love my QuickCover on my N5, is there one thats similar for the Z3C? one that doesnt add bulk, and can turn the screen off and on?

obin_gam

I want to use my XZ3C as a camera and live stream to my youtube account. Is this possible? What kind of app is the best? How exactly do I do it, if it is at all possible?

teiresias

My smart lock based on location doesn't work at all (on a N5), it's always locked at home. It's odd since trusted connections and the face unlock work very well.

Hasney

I got smart location working fine, but you do need high accuracy mode, WiFi on and use a post/zip code as the trusted location rather than a specific property name or number.

NotBacon

How many people are seeing Chrome crashing on Lollipop? It happens usually when I open links in new tabs.

And holy shit at Turbo Charging.

Vanillalite

Is the SD810 going to be such a huge bump that makes it worth the wait, right now?

Will it be a huge jump? Yes

Worth the wait? Depends on what you have now

Remember each year in mobile we've had massive jumps. You can always wait for the next big thing, but then you'll always be waiting.

Current phones can browse and the web, check email, listen to music, and watch video just fine.

Vanillalite

Honestly I have no problems with my current Chromecast other than it heats up like a mofo in use. WiFi and HD Netflix and HBO Go work like a boss tho with the current model.

I was just in the middle of a long post outlining all the ways that Lollipop on my Nexus 5 is worse than KK when Chrome crashed on me and I lost my text. Argh. Gonna do it later to get my complainin on.

obin_gam

Get the YouTube extension for the Sony camera app, it has a live broadcast option.

I thanks! I see it was already installed :)

But that app only streams for 15 minutes :/ We're going to have a Dark Knight Trilogy Marathon, which will take up close to 9 hours, so I need something else apparently...

McBryBry

Hey guys, I'm having a messaging problem. Whenever I text someone, my message sits in the sending stage forever. They get it, and reply. Problem is, eventually the sending changes to the time sent, and they get it again. This wouldn't be a problem if it didn't send every conversation into a spiral of confusion. It doesn't do it all day every day, but a few times a day is common.

I don't know what it could be! My signal is fine. 4G is good. WiFi is connected and good. Can't be an age issue, as I've had the Xperia Z3v less than a month. Anyone know how to help? I use the default messaging if that helps.

Husker86

Hey guys, I'm having a messaging problem. Whenever I text someone, my message sits in the sending stage forever. They get it, and reply. Problem is, eventually the sending changes to the time sent, and they get it again. This wouldn't be a problem if it didn't send every conversation into a spiral of confusion. It doesn't do it all day every day, but a few times a day is common.

I don't know what it could be! My signal is fine. 4G is good. WiFi is connected and good. Can't be an age issue, as I've had the Xperia Z3v less than a month. Anyone know how to help? I use the default messaging if that helps.

Does the same thing happen if you use Hangouts for SMS?

Drifters

Sounds like your cell network AP isn't working correctly; you still getting calls and data? I would go into settings -> more -> cell networks -> access points and verify all your settings there by doing a quick google search. May be a bad port or proxy host that can send.

McBryBry

Sounds like your cell network AP isn't working correctly; you still getting calls and data? I would go into settings -> more -> cell networks -> access points and verify all your settings there by doing a quick google search. May be a bad port or proxy host that can send.

Calls and data work just fine. I went into access points and hit reset defaults. It's working fine, but I haven't sent a text in a little bit so idk if the reset fixed it or if it stopped doing it before that. If it comes back up, is there anything else I should try?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I remember all the hype over dual, quad, octa core chips. All nearly meaningless in actual use. I don't care about benchmarks, do you hear me, 64 bit? My 64 bit N9 is not flawlessly fast. It's imperceptibly faster.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Hmm, don't think SMS has anything to do with AP, does it? SMS relies on a messaging center number, not your data connection. MMS requires correct AP settings though.

NEO0MJ

Finally gave in and bought an Xperia Z3. Looks beautiful.

What micro sd card should I buy for it now? And I have no idea what bloatware to erase.

I remember all the hype over dual, quad, octa core chips. All nearly meaningless in actual use. I don't care about benchmarks, do you hear me, 64 bit? My 64 bit N9 is not flawlessly fast. It's imperceptibly faster.

Yeah, dual sims are kinda pointless personally. Unless you're travelling between two countries frequently I have no idea how it's useful. I had to cut my sim card again to fit it in my Z3 because of the dual slots.

inm8num2

Thinking about taking advantage of Best Buy's $1 deal w/ 2-year renewal on either the Galaxy S5 or LG G3 (have a Galaxy S3 currently). I lean toward the S5 mainly for the better battery life, but I'd probably be happy with either. Not sure if waiting for the next round of phones would be worth it at this point, but always something to consider when you use your upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom