• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a fucking scam. A phone breaks on its own and you have to pay for it. I don't even want this shit anymore because hey the replacement might suffer the same issue. I'm so pissed because I literally am doing shit financially at the moment and then this happens and Sony are just calling me a liar.

Worst CS I've ever experienced. I'm never buying SONY ANYTHING again bar they make a time machine
I'll remember this in case I see you over in the gaming side where things get nasty. I'm sorry for your troubles though.

Bri

Until today when I acidentally recored 4k video in my pocket at work causing the phone to overheat and get a crack on the back.

Okay, cool.

Then I put it back in my pocket cause a crack on the back doesnt worry me.

Twenty minutes later my entire front screen is cracked. Unreal. I looked it up online and its been happening but Sony refuses to acknowledge it and wants me to pay for the repair which I dont know yet.

I ordered a Z2 this friday. Sounds like I should send it back when I read about the self cracking screens. How common is this really? If I can't wear it in my jeans pocket without cracking the screen, then I better buy something else.

gcubed

The Nexus 6 has burn in issues... already.

*Daps everyone that dodged the N6 bullet*

The shit is a disgrace especially with the Moto X 2014. This is some third world shit. No excuse for burn in on a flagship smartphone in 2014. Bear in mind that she barely used it. My usage pattern is 17 hours a day for two months to break in the device.

*imagines spending $700 on a device with burn in after living in the ios ecosystem*

I take back every positive thing I said about Amoled screens after this debacle. Does Samsung make 2014 AMOLED displays available to OEMs in 2015? If not, preemptive GTFOH to the Moto X 2015, Nexus 7 smartphone, all Motorola devices, and the rest of the OEMs with the audacity to purchase shit displays from Samsung.

This is like getting an opinion on gay marriage from a Christian fundamentalist preacher.

I've had the Z1, Z2 and Z3. I'm pretty careful with my phones but I don't baby them. No problem with crack screen even with a few drops. I put tempered glass screen protectors on them and its the one that cracked when dropped. But built quality wise the Sony phones are horrible! Gaps and inperfections everywhere. The thing is it gotten worst from the Z1 to Z3...

I had to exchange my Z3 a few times due to uncentered screen, gaps, uncentered camera, loose USB cover, etc..

kehs

Banned
Can someone tell me how codes like this work? Will I have to checkout directly through Moto Maker or in behalf of the store?

When you check out at that site, they'll give a code for you to log in to moto maker to build one. When you check out at Moto, the price will be 0.

catmincer

I ordered a Z2 this friday. Sounds like I should send it back when I read about the self cracking screens. How common is this really? If I can't wear it in my jeans pocket without cracking the screen, then I better buy something else.

It's fine. I have a z2 and I don't treat it that well, it's still working fine. No cracks and the covers etc are fine.

Bri

It's fine. I have a z2 and I don't treat it that well, it's still working fine. No cracks and the covers etc are fine.

Ok, that's something at least. Maybe it's batch specific, do you know what batch you have?

And what about the call quality? I've heard lots of complaints about that as well. Do you have any problems with it?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Pretty sure shit like this is the reason why people buy apple products.

I get called an Apple fanboy on GAF, but Apple pulls denial of any wrongdoing all the time. They were sued for iMessage, scratch prone iPods, defective iMacs, antennae-gate even though they revised the phone to fix it. Tons of stuff.

My 2013 HTC One is sluggish and buggy as hell, so I've been thinking of upgrading. Any suggestions? I'm basically looking for the following:

1. Screen around 5in. Maybe I can go a bit higher, but my HTC One already feels slightly too big for easy one handed us.
2. Great internal hardware that'll last me a couple of years with no slow down.
3. Good build quality. I've been stuck with crappy cameras between my HTC One and 4G.
4. Pure Android (or close to it) with no carrier bloatware and timely updates. HTC eventually fails miserably with the latter.

So, where does that leave me? The Nexus 6 is way too big and the burn in seems terrible, I'm concerned about the Z3's build quality, I'm tired of dealing with HTC, and TouchWiz keeps me away from Samsung.

How's the OnePlus One?

diaspora

My 2013 HTC One is sluggish and buggy as hell, so I've been thinking of upgrading. Any suggestions? I'm basically looking for the following:

1. Screen around 5in. Maybe I can go a bit higher, but my HTC One already feels slightly too big for easy one handed us.
3. Good build quality. I've been stuck with crappy cameras between my HTC One and 4G.
4. Pure Android (or close to it) with no carrier bloatware and timely updates. HTC eventually fails miserably with the latter.

So, where does that leave me? The Nexus 6 is way too big and the burn in seems terrible, I'm concerned about the Z3's build quality, I'm tired of dealing with HTC, and TouchWiz keeps me away from Samsung.

How's the OnePlus One?

Nexus 5

How's the OnePlus One?
one plus one is huge

nexus 5 sounds like what you're looking for. That or moto x 2014 if you live in the usa you can get a good deal on it on cyber monday.

diaspora

I've heard some people were having issues with Lollipop on the 5, which made me concerned its hardware was already showing its age. Plus, it's still out of stock on the Play Store, and at this point I doubt they'll be getting more in.

I'm using the N5 on Lollipop (since the factory image dropped) and I'm good so far.

kinggroin

Banned

How's the OnePlus One?

Hilarious HDR implementation, meh camera software and an interface as stable as Cyanogen Mod can make it. Those are the only negatives I had coming from the device. I've owned two. Kinda want a third.

Positives? Best LCD display not found on an HTC M8, amazing stamina from the battery - close to industry leading (z3 takes the win), snappy performance, insane value - maybe unbeatable, decently loud speaker, fantastic camera potential, changeable back plates, some of the best support officially and by way of community ROMS - all without the worry of voiding your warranty. Get it.

Edit: I've owned the N5. It'll be more comfortable to use, but just so you know, the speakers are trash and battery life is anywhere from eh to mediocre depending on usage

An aside - as a week long owner, there's no terrible burn in on the Nexus 6 (that's conclusive). Please dont contribute to android's bend gate.

Man, I love the look of the Nexus 5, and its size seems perfect. I suppose my main reservations there are its age relative to newer flagships and its battery life. And the fact that Google is not even selling it anymore. Maybe they've got a refresh on the way? That'd be nice.

I suppose the Moto X is similar battery wise, which is a deal breaker for me even though I forgot to mention it. I guess when it comes down to it, the OnePlus One seems to be the phone I have the least "but"s about (as in "I like it, but _____"), so I'm leaning towards that. My issues there are it being big (but not Nexus 6 big) and Cyanogen over vanilla Android.

Though I may wait and see if there's any news on the 5 front.

Thanks guys.

Groof

I have crazy memory issues on my Nexus 5 running Lollipop. Constant redraws, laggy app start ups, music keeps dropping out of memory even while the phone is in standby etc.

When it works it's amazing, but after a two-three days without a reboot it just goes to shit. Googy plz fix this.

NotBacon

How's the OnePlus One?

Moto X 2014 or Nexus 5. Take your pick, they're both awesome.

What's the uptime on your HTC One M7?
It usually lasts until night with a brief charge at lunch, with sporadic internet usage and a decent amount of playing local music.

But I'll often go heavy on the internet at night and have to charge it some more before working out, when I need the timer.

kinggroin

Banned
It usually lasts until night with a brief charge at lunch, with sporadic internet usage and a decent amount of playing local music.

But I'll often go heavy on the internet at night and have to charge it some more before working out, when I need the timer.

If battery life is even a slight concern, avoid the N5. Seriously. Owning an M7 back in the day, I can tell you the N5 doesn't last anywhere close to it with the same usage patterns.

I'd even suggest the OG Moto X over it if that's the case.

Reckoner

Man, I love the look of the Nexus 5, and its size seems perfect. I suppose my main reservations there are its age relative to newer flagships and its battery life. And the fact that Google is not even selling it anymore. Maybe they've got a refresh on the way? That'd be nice.

I suppose the Moto X is similar battery wise, which is a deal breaker for me even though I forgot to mention it. I guess when it comes down to it, the OnePlus One seems to be the phone I have the least "but"s about (as in "I like it, but _____"), so I'm leaning towards that. My issues there are it being big (but not Nexus 6 big) and Cyanogen over vanilla Android.

Thanks guys.

Get a Nexus 5 if you're concerned about the price.
Get the Moto X 2014 if you can get it, especially with 32gb storage.

I wish I could get one myself. After having the X for a week, I'm already spoiled by the Moto features and the overall feel and usability of the phone. It's really great. Unfortunately, as I will be using it as my main music player, 16gb were not enough for me and the 32gb version is not available in my country.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I've heard some people were having issues with Lollipop on the 5, which made me concerned its hardware was already showing its age.
???

If lollipop issues mean aged hardware, the N6 and N9 are done. But I don't think that's what you meant. However, the N5 has no hardware age issues. Just battery issues.

I really dislike the "Photos" app so I found the 4.4.4 Gallery apk and went to go install it, but the system is telling me that by installing said app, I will overwrite the current app. It doesn't say what that is.

I obviously don't want to lose Photos because of the auto-backup stuff, but I really want to get Gallery back. Will it actually overwrite?

What a fucking scam. A phone breaks on its own and you have to pay for it. I don't even want this shit anymore because hey the replacement might suffer the same issue. I'm so pissed because I literally am doing shit financially at the moment and then this happens and Sony are just calling me a liar.

Worst CS I've ever experienced. I'm never buying SONY ANYTHING again bar they make a time machine
My Vita broke when the firmware updated a while back and the next firmware didn't fix the issue.

Sony's Customer Support said that I was the first they'd heard of the new update not working (there were at least a few I found online in about 2 seconds) and since my system was out of warranty they wanted me to pay over $100 to send it in to get fixed, EVEN THOUGH THEY BROKE IT. "Oh, it must have had a preexisting issue if the new update didn't work."

They wouldn't allow me to escalate the issue, work with me to find a solution, or anything other than blaming me and telling me to pay up. Thankfully I found a fix online that worked.

I don't understand how companies nowadays don't realize how important good customer service is to foster goodwill with their customers. A good customer service experience means that you kept a customer, but a bad one means that you lose a customer AND all the potential customers that hear about their shitty experience.

If battery life is even a slight concern, avoid the N5. Seriously. Owning an M7 back in the day, I can tell you the N5 doesn't last anywhere close to it with the same usage patterns.

I'd even suggest the OG Moto X over it if that's the case.

Well, that leans me even closer to the OPO.

???

If lollipop issues mean aged hardware, the N6 and N9 are done. But I don't think that's what you meant. However, the N5 has no hardware age issues. Just battery issues.

Ah, I assumed a lot of the issues had to do with the hardware. Probably a bad assumption on my part based on how my Nexus 7 2012 is handling L. My mind immediately jumped to its age.

Thanks guys.
Moto X 2014 edition. There is a sale tomorrow as well. You know you want to.

Jigolo

By uptime I meant go to about phone -> status -> scroll to the bottom.

I usually turn off my phone one a week for 5 min and that helps keep it in top shape

Husker86

I have crazy memory issues on my Nexus 5 running Lollipop. Constant redraws, laggy app start ups, music keeps dropping out of memory even while the phone is in standby etc.

When it works it's amazing, but after a two-three days without a reboot it just goes to shit. Googy plz fix this.

It's definitely a widespread problem. My Nexus 5 and 7 both have the same issues and every podcast I've listened to discuss Android has talked about it, including personal experiences from the hosts themselves.

Need that 5.0.1 ASAP!

By uptime I meant go to about phone -> status -> scroll to the bottom.

I usually turn off my phone one a week for 5 min and that helps keep it in top shape

Apparently I need an app to do that on an HTC One? I couldn't figure out how to do it without one.

4 days, 19 hours, 2 minutes.

Without sleep (???): 3 days, 8 hours, 2 minutes

I've heard some people were having issues with Lollipop on the 5, which made me concerned its hardware was already showing its age. Plus, it's still out of stock on the Play Store, and at this point I doubt they'll be getting more in.

The hardware is definitely not a problem with Lollipop. It runs smooth as butter on mine. I do wonder what the cause for the problems on other phones is, though. Perhaps it's the activated encryption?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom