• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've heard some people were having issues with Lollipop on the 5, which made me concerned its hardware was already showing its age. Plus, it's still out of stock on the Play Store, and at this point I doubt they'll be getting more in.

It's not showing its age at all. On the contrary, it's smoother than ever on Lollipop. It's still a powerful phone. Even the most high-end phones releasing now - a year later - are really only marginally more powerful. Sure, 2GB of RAM is less than 3, but that's no big deal 99% of the time. Everything runs absolutely great for me.

But yeah, availability might be a bigger issue.

I have crazy memory issues on my Nexus 5 running Lollipop. Constant redraws, laggy app start ups, music keeps dropping out of memory even while the phone is in standby etc.

I've had none of this. Well, at least no more than would be considered normal given that memory isn't infinite. Most of the time everything is very smooth, and I almost never get home screen redraws or anything like that. I don't accuse you or others of lying, but it must be some software issue that causes this for some people as we obviously have the same hardware. And the hardware in the N5 can run Lollipop excellently, that's for sure. Who knows why our experiences have been so different.

It does look nice, but according to gsmarena, its battery life for web browsing and video playback is ~25% lower than my current HTC One's:

http://www.gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3

That'd be a huge downgrade from a phone that's already 1.5 years old.
The camera and battery life are the glaring faults of the phone. I and others basically dismissed this phone because of that. I'm getting it because I need a new phone and it's the best bang for your buck phone right now in my opinion. I won't be holding the phone for that long anyway so that helps ease the pain.
fuck motorola for not giving canada love on that sale

!!! Any time I read US only on the internets I sigh.
Any place outside of the United States gets screwed out of awesome deals. I take for granted these deals since I live in the U.S Sorry Pyro :(

The camera and battery life are the glaring faults of the phone. I and others basically dismissed this phone because of that. I'm getting it because I need a new phone and it's the best bang for your buck phone right now in my opinion. I won't be holding the phone for that long anyway so that helps ease the pain.
Any place outside of the United States gets screwed out of awesome deals. I take for granted these deals since I live in the U.S Sorry Pyro :(
they should just open it to canadians. Conversion rates/duties apply. what's the big dealllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.

Groof

How ridiculous is it that there are these wildly different experiences with lollipop on the same device. Doesn't make any sense. /google

Googy gonna goog. What gets me most is that I bought this phone like two weeks ago. So it's definitely not hardware related.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
My 2013 HTC One is sluggish and buggy as hell, so I've been thinking of upgrading. Any suggestions? I'm basically looking for the following:

1. Screen around 5in. Maybe I can go a bit higher, but my HTC One already feels slightly too big for easy one handed us.
2. Great internal hardware that'll last me a couple of years with no slow down.
3. Good build quality. I've been stuck with crappy cameras between my HTC One and 4G.
4. Pure Android (or close to it) with no carrier bloatware and timely updates. HTC eventually fails miserably with the latter.

So, where does that leave me? The Nexus 6 is way too big and the burn in seems terrible, I'm concerned about the Z3's build quality, I'm tired of dealing with HTC, and TouchWiz keeps me away from Samsung.

How's the OnePlus One?

Try and do a factory reset first while you wait for the Android 5 update. Shouldn't be that bad of an experience on the M7.

Factory reset might solve some issues for you, and if it's browsing that is sluggish that might just be Chrome being Chrome.

At the very least worth a try before you spend money else where. Plus if it works you can wait on a new phone till 2015. :p

Hi guys, first time perusing this thread so I hope this is the right place to be asking this. This is my first time going through the whole rooting/jailbreaking process with a phone so I'm currently going at a snails pace to make sure nothing goes horribly wrong.

The long and short of it is I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-i9100 with Gingerbread v2.3.5, and I'm primarily looking to get to at least stock Jelly Bean for now (with root access/custom recovery and what not in the process). I haven't managed to find a definitive guide but I feel like from what I've pieced together I'll be able to do fine for a while.

However my main question is this: For flashing a custom recovery (CWM Recovery in this case), would I need to have a version of it that's compatible with Gingerbread, or can I use the latest/most update-to-date version of CWM Recovery with no issue?

Any other tips and advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks for the help buds.

Other deets:

Model No.: GT-I9100
Android Verson: 2.3.5
Baseband Version: I9100NEKI2
Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7-I9100XWKI8-CL616395root@DELL149 #2
Build Number: GINGERBREAD.XWKI8

kehs

Banned
Almost 99% sure recoveries don't have any dependence on the OS. Just make sure you have the correct hardware revision, bootloader, and radio(don't think this one is that important either).

Almost 99% sure recoveries don't have any dependence on the OS. Just make sure you have the correct hardware revision, bootloader, and radio(don't think this one is that important either).

Hmm, I see. The thing that seems to be tripping me up still is figuring out which 'packages' to download. For instance, this guide talks about rooting but only if it's on ICS XXLPQ 4.0.3 firmware, which is all greek to me.

http://www.android.gs/how-to-root-t...t-i9100-on-official-ics-xxlpq-4-0-3-firmware/

That's what made me assume the OS might play a role, but if not, then maybe I should just go straight to the source and download CWM Recovery from the official website. Good call?

Are the Nexus 5 and Moto X's battery lives notably improved with Lollipop? That may put them ahead of what I'm used to getting out of my HTC One.

Try and do a factory reset first while you wait for the Android 5 update. Shouldn't be that bad of an experience on the M7.

Factory reset might solve some issues for you, and if it's browsing that is sluggish that might just be Chrome being Chrome.

At the very least worth a try before you spend money else where. Plus if it works you can wait on a new phone till 2015. :p

Hm, yeah, maybe I should. And maybe that Lollipop update will show up soon. HTC's kitkat update added some weird screen brightness bug to all three Ones in this house (the screen randomly dims while on, and stays dimmed for tens of seconds or even minutes at a time). Mine has some additional problems (keyboard popping up when hitting the home button) that the others don't, which a factory reset might solve.

Husker86

Are the Nexus 5 and Moto X's battery lives notably improved with Lollipop? That may put them ahead of what I'm used to getting out of my HTC One.

Nexus 5 here. Standby is maybe improved (if you restart your phone every couple days); usage time is definitely not improved, at least not noticeably.

terrier

29fb1914c513cf7d537e4322224591f6.jpg

ac7689d250b3b95243eae34ddb72bd38.jpg

Looks that today Lollipop for note 4 will be announced by samsung. Let's see where TW goes and how much hate does it get :p

Hasney

Looks that today Lollipop for note 4 will be announced by samsung. Let's see where TW goes and how much hate does it get :p

Well the quick settings is already ugly, glad I got Cyanogenmod on my S4 now instead of their ROM. Hopefully it has better performance though!

markot

Banned
Samsung and their s finder crap >_<;

I have liked all my Samsung phones. But they need to stop trying to push so many services onto their customers.

terrier

Well the quick settings is already ugly, glad I got Cyanogenmod on my S4 now instead of their ROM. Hopefully it has better performance though!

i think it is better than Sony's quick settings bar (at least on KK). MOre convenient for usre. And while is less appealing than stock lollipop, i like having quick settings with just one swipe.
But they need to hire some designers because... well, obvious is obvious xD

Hasney

i think it is better than Sony's quick settings bar (at least on KK). MOre convenient for usre. And while is less appealing than stock lollipop, i like having quick settings with just one swipe.
But they need to hire some designers because... well, obvious is obvious xD

Isn't quick settings one swipe on Lollipop anyway, or is that just my ROM? Swipe the right of the status bar and the settings come up in one swoop.

terrier

Isn't quick settings one swipe on Lollipop anyway, or is that just my ROM? Swipe the right of the status bar and the settings come up in one swoop.

Yep. But is one action more. swipe+swipe/touch+input on quick settings vs 2. Not big deal but.... it is faster old fashioned style

Hasney

Yep. But is one action more. swype+swype/touc+input on quick settings vs 2. Not big deal but.... it is faster old fashioned style

Hm, it's not here. One swipe for quick settings, then can click any of them. 2 actions as well.

Only thing I do miss from Sammys quick settings is the 2 finger swipe for a shitton of settings to play with.

Denzar

Hey guys, been experiencing a rather annoying bug/glitch.

When using the keyboard, I can't type the letters "n, b, j". rather annoying.

Nexus 4, updated to Android 5.0 some 5 days ago.

Have reset to factory settings and cleared cache.

Any solutions?

RoadHazard

Gold Member

That's a CM thing (but it's probably in other ROMs too), stock Android does not have it. The fastest way to get to quick settings in stock is to swipe down with two fingers.

Hey guys, been experiencing a rather annoying bug/glitch.

When using the keyboard, I can't type the letters "n, b, j". rather annoying.

Nexus 4, updated to Android 5.0 some 5 days ago.

Have reset to factory settings and cleared cache.

Any solutions?
does it work when you're in landscape mode for the keyboard? Or is it just a problem in portrait.

What happens if you try a different keyboard? That's a weird problem. What the fuck is wrong with lollipop that it's causing so many random issues on random devices. This is the problem when there's no unity.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Evleaks w/ hot, hot info on the Nexus 6:

PSA: The Nexus 6 is /still/ dead.

Plans in this industry change ALL THE TIME. The original handset to have carried the 6 moniker was in fact killed off earlier this year, an LG device which was then set to be re-purposed as that OEM's first Android Silver offering (an initiative also deadpooled for now, it seems). Sort of how the current 6 is likely a so-called Moto S re-engineered into a Nexus.

Words/brands/codenames, are just that, people. It's the objects that they describe which have any meaning at all. Please try to remember that when your favorite rumor doesn't tick all the check boxes you'd been expecting.

https://plus.google.com/112200452723264454895/posts/7YwQPKxxV6h

Denzar

does it work when you're in landscape mode for the keyboard? Or is it just a problem in portrait.

What happens if you try a different keyboard? That's a weird problem. What the fuck is wrong with lollipop that it's causing so many random issues on random devices. This is the problem when there's no unity.

Tried a different keyboard. Same thing. When in landscape the same problem occurs, only on other letters but the exact same location on my screen (Bottom right).

It appears to be a dead zone on my touch screen. Not Lollipop related, apparently. Just horrid timing. Need a new digitizer and/or screen. Appears to be a pretty common problem, I just have the bad luck that the dead zone is located on my keyboard.

Since I'm kind of...erm..maladroit the only solution is sending it in. No way I'm capable of fixing this myself.

Still in warranty, so no problem there.

Thanks for your reply, Pyro!

SimleuqiR

Some of us here pretty much stated this already. Just looking at the Nexus 6 you can tell not much thought was put into it. Another LG nexus device would have been so much better. But alas, the Nexus program was dead, and silver was supposed to take it's place. For whatever reason(s) silver was scrapped and Google was forced to go back and re-instate the Nexus program...and then just half-ass it.

Can you imagine a bunch of devices launching with all the same software issues as the n6?

KuGsj.gif

I doubt it. Again, with Silver they would have much more time to work with OEMs and get their shit together. Just the fact that so many OEMs seem to be pumping out lollipop updates a lot sooner than ever before proves it can be done.

I fucking knew it. Explains so much. About the moto nexus 6 I mean.

But I'm glad the nexus program lived. Ups and downs I guess. Then again isn't the nexus 6 basically what the silver program was? How is it different? I thought silver program was premium sets running stock sold at higher prices.

Do the Nexus 6 and 9 seem "premium" to anyone? Maybe in their prices, but that's about it.

n9-bounce.gif

r7ocefh0td6miftrlur0.gif

Drifters

Pop a 5.2 or a 5.3 in. display in an HTC one body and call it the Nexus 6 and people would pay $650 outright for it. Right now tho the N6 is getting the same rap the iPad had which was akin to a 10" iPod touch. (Meaning just a bigger Moto X)

Tried a different keyboard. Same thing. When in landscape the same problem occurs, only on other letters but the exact same location on my screen (Bottom right).

It appears to be a dead zone on my touch screen. Not Lollipop related, apparently. Just horrid timing. Need a new digitizer and/or screen. Appears to be a pretty common problem, I just have the bad luck that the dead zone is located on my keyboard.

Since I'm kind of...erm..maladroit the only solution is sending it in. No way I'm capable of fixing this myself.

Still in warranty, so no problem there.

Thanks for your reply, Pyro!
No problems. And yeah that's why I asked you to try landscape because as someone that does tech support and has seen every issue known to man on a cell phone I've seen the exact same thing you're describing and figured it was just dead spots.

I wonder what the LG device looked like...probably miles better than the N6
was probably glorious. Also I wonder if the program will make a come back next year. Clearly the nexus 6 was a last minute nexus phone. And I always knew that it was just motorola wanting to complete their lineup of devices. No way google wanted a 6 inch phone haha. It was just all they could get.

Hard to believe that in just a month or two the rumour mill will begin churning again for everything 2015. Silver was good times. There's lots more questions in 2015 than 2014 so it should be an entertaining one. Which hopefully ends with a good affordable phone running stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom