• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

thuway

I love the form factor of Nexus 6- it's everything else that is borderline asinine. Last generation OLED panel with huge battery drain, middling low light performance, and crazy software bugs.

LG can't fix the software bugs or the camera performance. They are in the game to make the LG G4 shine, hence the LG Nexus phones have always been a step behind in some respect.

I love the form factor of Nexus 6- it's everything else that is borderline asinine. Last generation OLED panel with huge battery drain, middling low light performance, and crazy software bugs.

LG can't fix the software bugs or the camera performance. They are in the game to make the LG G4 shine, hence the LG Nexus phones have always been a step behind in some respect.

It still would've been fine if this years Nexus would've based on the G3, like last years was based on the G2. Not a huge step, but still a natural revolution. All the N5 needs is a better camera and better battery anyway.

thuway

It still would've been fine if this years Nexus would've based on the G3, like last years was based on the G2. Not a huge step, but still a natural revolution. All the N5 needs is a better camera and better battery anyway.

Honestly, the Nexus 6 botch isn't entirely on Motorola. Google themselves have put out a lacadasical release. Riddled with bugs, wifi drains, strange app decisions - it's like any other major OS release.

I'll be Beta testing it in the future. In the mean time, I cannot live with out Xposed Module.

Zeppu

2014 Nexus Devices
Nexus quality devices at Android Silver prices
Now with 90% less care

A marriage of budget and premium in a way never thought before.

---

What do you guys think? You think I have a chance at Googy's marketing departments?

Furyous

Hard to believe that in just a month or two the rumour mill will begin churning again for everything 2015. Silver was good times. There's lots more questions in 2015 than 2014 so it should be an entertaining one. Which hopefully ends with a good affordable phone running stock.

A 1080p Moto G will disrupt the market.

Z4 rumors are out. It has LG G3 specs with an s805 minus the screen size, from what I can remember.

The only things on my wishlist are:

GPE devices from LG and Sony that are 5 inches at most.

An IPS screen without burn in, 3000 Mah battery AND a Microsd card slot for the Moto X.

As a Samsung hater, I want them to stick with the same design. The gimmick list on their next phone is hopefully larger than before.

Oneplus Two with an sd card slot and a 4.7 inch screen.

Is anyone else pissed we don't have rumors right now outside of Sony?

Groof

What makes me wonder is that the quote seems to make it seem like LG had a finished product ready, but was ditched for Silver. So when the Silver plans failed, why didn't they just go back to that instead of half-assing it?

I don't blame motorola at all. Moto gonna moto. They wanted to release a phablet (the Moto S) to complete their lineup and I'm sure it would have been a fine phone running their version of stock. It's google that probably persuaded them late in the game to make it a nexus phone and quickly push out its release. These kinds of deals can't be made last second.

Nexus devices are supposed to be google working with the manufacturer from beginning to end in terms of hardware design and software optimization. I hope they have a plan to execute this better in 2015. I won't even blame google for the insane price tag compared to previous nexus phones recently because motorola probably demanded to sell through carriers and that's the price you pay.

A 1080p Moto G will disrupt the market.
That would be interesting. To be a honest I just want a stock android device that doesn't skimp in any way. Great battery, Good-great gamera, good hardware. I'd even be willing to pay 500 for that assuming they don't skimp on memory as well.

I feel like it's not asking much but in the android playground it obviously is. Lets see. I think we'll see some interesting developements on the Sony side, see if Samsung "gets" why they are plummeting, see where moto takes their lineup, what becomes of the nexus, what one plus is up to.

Lots of interesting things.

What makes me wonder is that the quote seems to make it seem like LG had a finished product ready, but was ditched for Silver. So when the Silver plans failed, why didn't they just go back to that instead of half-assing it?
/google

SimleuqiR

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8628/the-android-50-lollipop-review/7

Final Words
I think Google really hit the nail on the head with Android Lollipop. It evokes the same sort of feeling that the release of iOS 7 did, without some of the negative experiences that followed. Getting a brand new interface is always exciting, as it can dramatically change how it feels to use your phone. Moving from KitKat to Lollipop still provides you with a familiar Android experience, but it almost feels like getting a brand new phone in a way. There's a brand new UI, and big improvements to performance. But unlike the upgrade to iOS 7, Android Lollipop hasn't plagued my devices with application crashes and other bugs. In fact, I haven't really noticed any significant bugs at all after upgrading to Lollipop, which says a great deal about the work Google has put into testing to make sure things are stable.

Zeppu

That would be interesting. To be a honest I just want a stock android device that doesn't skimp in any way. Great battery, Good-great gamera, good hardware. I'd even be willing to pay 500 for that assuming they don't skimp on memory as well.

Honestly, I just want an Android Silver. I imagine it to be the Chromebook pixel of the Android world. It would be expensive, but glorious.

Groof

lol foolish statement, you don't have to look far to see how many problems people are having with lollipop on their various devices. I really like lollipop as well but it has bugs on many devices. Nexus devices.

Yep, this is the one time I'll have to disagree with AnandTech. Lollipop does not run flawlessly. We need that 5.0.1.

Honestly, I just want an Android Silver. I imagine it to be the Chromebook pixel of the Android world. It would be expensive, but glorious.
If they can back up a premium price with very premium hardware and overall performance then I'd be willing to pay it too.

Yep, this is the one time I'll have to disagree with AnandTech. Lollipop does not run flawlessly. We need that 5.0.1.
seems like he just took his personal experience and made a conclusion on the entire OS. I never had a problem with any version of iOS ever but it doesn't mean others didn't.

Sch1sm

Yeah, and it can't be considered flawless until across the board all devices are working fine (which will probably be even later than 5.0.1, really). I haven't had issues myself, but I've seen so many complaints. No idea how this worked out considering a lot of us are on the N5. It's pretty, I think that was a lot of the aim. Performance and consistency...eh.

LG Nexus 6 would've been interesting...quite possibly it would have just been the G3 with the 805 running stock.

I could live with that.

Zeppu

If they can back up a premium price with very premium hardware and overall performance then I'd be willing to pay it too.

I've said before that I don't see any real reason why Google should keep on selling cheap Nexus devices. I can see why it made sense then, but I cannot see why it would make sense now.

I believe that created shitty overpriced (well, not overpriced, just non-cheap as the last few Nexii have been) devices this year on purpose, to put people off the Nexus program for which many wept when the rumour of it being scrapped was circulating. The Nexus program went through the following stages:
* Good phones w/ stock android at normal prices
* Great phones/tablets w/ stock android at low prices
* Mediocre phones/tablets w/ buggy stock android at normal prices

That's a good enough place to scrap the program. Next up, Android silver
* Great phones w/ stock android at normal/premium prices

Chris R

Trying to see if Wi-fi on only when plugged in fixes the terrible battery life.

Also, any suggestions for an app to play my music with since the stock music app is worthless now?

terrier

Android One devices need to come state side IMO.

i don't really understand what android one is. There are a number of phones that are below 150€/$ with decent specs. Checked the prices for those on amazon uk and it is about the same as a Moto G. And there's moto E t below 100€. So what is the point? What does it offer vs standard android features?

SimleuqiR

i don't really understand what android one is. There are a number of phones that are below 150€/$ with decent specs. Checked the prices for those on amazon uk and it is about the same as a Moto G. And there's moto E t below 100€. So what is the point? What does it offer vs standard android features?

At least in India, Google is subsiding some of the data plans on the phones.
It's just a way for Google to push their services on to more people.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Trying to see if Wi-fi on only when plugged in fixes the terrible battery life.

Also, any suggestions for an app to play my music with since the stock music app is worthless now?

Worthless? Works exactly like it did in KK for me, except that the lock screen controls are worse (but that's Lollipop's fault, not the app's).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I wish they would have built upon the music controls alongside the notifications instead of snuffing it out.

Yep. Seems like they went "eh, we've got lock screen notifications now, let's just use that for media controls", but it's simply not as good. I hope they bring back proper media controls in 5.1 or something.

Groof

Yep. Seems like they went "eh, we've got lock screen notifications now, let's just use that for media controls", but it's simply not as good. I hope they bring back proper media controls in 5.1 or something.

or that they stop half assing the Play Music app and give it a full material redesign.

Chris R

Worthless? Works exactly like it did in KK for me, except that the lock screen controls are worse (but that's Lollipop's fault, not the app's).

Every time I open the app now it goes to my Listen Now page, even if I had an album up or was on the page I really wanted (recent activity). It also acts up when accessing it directly from the lock screen but is better if I unlock the phone and click the app.

Toki767

I had the G3 with 805...it was pretty good but the battery life was just average. So yeah that would have met the nexus criteria ...

Except you wouldn't be able to replace the battery. I don't believe there's a big battery usage difference between the 801 and the 805 is there? I know people were comparing the S5 using the 801 and 805 in Korea and it was practically the same as well.

Except you wouldn't be able to replace the battery. I don't believe there's a big battery usage difference between the 801 and the 805 is there? I know people were comparing the S5 using the 801 and 805 in Korea and it was practically the same as well.

Yeah there was no difference and there was time it was actually worst. Maybe it was just my unit though...

Zeppu

I wish they would have built upon the music controls alongside the notifications instead of snuffing it out.

Agreed on all counts. The more time I spend with Lollipop the more I feel that they went for style over substance in some things. Don't get me wrong, I love the OS, but some things seem to be detatched and confusing while at the same time some of the functionality we had been using for (at least) the past couple of versions have either been completely removed or shoehorned in for the sake of consistency.

I guess though, this is to be expected from such a major redesign, especially looking at how Googy seems to have rushed this out the door a few months before they were ready with it. I still have hopes a 5.0.1 will fix a bunch of the existing niggles with 5.1 hopefully released sooner rather than later though I'll doubt we'll get a .1 release before I/O.

or that they stop half assing the Play Music app and give it a full material redesign.

And hangouts. Hangouts on the Nexus 9 is hilariously terrible.

kinggroin

Banned
Frickin Chrome.

Lately its been giving me this initial stutter when trying to scroll an fresh web page. Like it wakes up and says oh shit you want to scroll, then goes super fast and past what I wanted.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Didn't Motorola also use a crap, old processor for the watch? They cut costs in the worst way.

Reality check... AT&T will sell me a SIM for my non AT&T nexus 6 right? Rocking T-Mo right now since I have to wait 14 days to cancel the service otherwise they want the phone back too. Also waiting for my case to arrive before it is my daily driver.

Loving this Nexus 6 although I did really want to try the note 4 and Gear VR just cuz...Note 4 would have been dope too because of the screen and camera and shit I actually love the way the hardware looks but touchwiz cmon. My hatred of Touchwiz is strong enough outweigh all the benefits the Note has.

Nexus Note would be so dope next year. Won't happen though.

kinggroin

Banned
Reality check... AT&T will sell me a SIM for my non AT&T nexus 6 right? Rocking T-Mo right now since I have to wait 14 days to cancel the service otherwise they want the phone back too. Also waiting for my case to arrive before it is my daily driver.

Loving this Nexus 6 although I did really want to try the note 4 and Gear VR just cuz...Note 4 would have been dope too because of the screen and camera and shit I actually love the way the hardware looks but touchwiz cmon. My hatred of Touchwiz is strong enough outweigh all the benefits the Note has.

Nexus Note would be so dope next year. Won't happen though.

The camera on the Nexus 6 is just as good. Have no worries there at least.

AndyD

aka andydumi
That's not how prepaid plans work. You would have to buy the plan again to use any minutes.

Ahh, so you can't buy individually any extra minutes aside from an entire new batch of minutes/data? I see refills for minutes and refills for data being separate, but I can't tell any procing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom