• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I think we literally might use Hangouts more than anyone else on the planet and yet I also think we shit on Hangouts more than anyone else on the planet. LoL

Husker86

I got my cousins, girlfriend and Mom to use Hangouts. Covers most of my messaging. I love responding from a browser on any computer.

You can choose to not restore from your cloud backup when you are setting it up again.

Basically you will lose all data unless the apps specifically backup data to your Google account; your contacts should be synced to Google.

That said, I did a fresh install with 5.0 on my Nexus 5 and have some issues so let me know if it changes anything for you; I don't have high hopes for a reset doing anything so I'm just waiting for a maintenance release.

Is all the Google sync stuff turned on? Then your contacts, photos, etc, are safe. What you will lose permanently unless you back it up manually is other app/game data (far too few games use cloud saves, unfortunately) and text messages (unless you're on Google Voice, in which case I believe they'll be backed up there).

I'm ok with losing game saves, I dont play too many single player games on here anyway, just async multiplayer ones.

I'm pretty sure I have everything synced, but I'm not 100%. Where do I check all that?

Sucks to lose the texts, but that's not major.

NotBacon

Is there a widget that mimicks Google Now?

I am currently using dashclock on the main screen for calendar events, missed calls, unread emails and texts. However, I also like Now cards and receive traffic, weather and so forth that way.

Is there a way to combine those two? I am willing to forego all of Dashclock things if I can get a Now cards widget that also shows me my next calendar item (a few days out) not just "time to leave" cards as it does now.

Any ideas?

Google Now has a widget with cards you can use.

Nah windows phone would be google+. Microsoft trying hard to make it happen but nobody wants it. Like google with g+!!

Hey! G+ is baller!

Bri

No one else here using Kik?

And another thing, I don't see myself ever getting used to the Z2. It is humongous.

Majine

Banned
I was moving over my photos from my iDevices into Googles photos. When I was tagging people into the photos, it insisted to share those photos with those people and I was like GOD NO. I only do that for my own personal organization, not to spam my friends everytime I take a picture of them. On iPhoto I never had this issue because Apple never had any obligations to any social services, and I appreciated that. Photos could be sorted by people, places, etc. On Googles platform, I'm guessing all of it is handled on Google+, and that sucks.

Wreav

Banned
I was moving over my photos from my iDevices into Googles photos. When I was tagging people into the photos, it insisted to share those photos with those people and I was like GOD NO. I only do that for my own personal organization, not to spam my friends everytime I take a picture of them. On iPhoto I never had this issue because Apple never had any obligations to any social services, and I appreciated that. Photos could be sorted by people, places, etc. On Googles platform, I'm guessing all of it is handled on Google+, and that sucks.

Welcome to getting treated as a service over a customer. Praise your new Googy overlords.

HawkeyeIC

and this is why you need a stock device -_-

miss out on the quick updates

Its a bigger problem when you get the 5.0 update on a non-stock device but don't get 5.0.1 for months. Got 4.4 quick on my Moto x but it took forever to get the relevant updates and had to deal with the exchange bugs that came with 4.4.

Not sure if this is right thread but I recently upgraded to the Note 4 from the S3 (loving this phone so far btw). I was wondering if anyone knew of any thin cases for it? Preferably also without the front flap.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I'm legitimately surprised by all the complaints about Hangouts. I have almost everyone with whom I regularly text using it and it works great.

Vanillalite

Stolen from Hangouts

Slash Gear

Nexus updates no longer guaranteed in 2 weeks

Supported devices were originally supposed to get updates within two weeks of an android update coming out. As pointed out by Android Police, that’s now a more democratic process, as Google’s support page says “based on your carrier, it may take longer than two weeks after release to get an update.”

Vanillalite

Did you guys hear about the two week delay for nexus updates?

55698299.jpg

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm ok with losing game saves, I dont play too many single player games on here anyway, just async multiplayer ones.

I'm pretty sure I have everything synced, but I'm not 100%. Where do I check all that?

Sucks to lose the texts, but that's not major.

You can see what's being synced in the Accounts menu in Settings.

I use SMS Backup & Restore to move texts over between flashes/resets, works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom