• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckoner

Does someone here have a Moto X with black leather back? Is it much better and premium?

Right now, I can't decide if I go with 16gb leather and get it tomorrow or 32gb plastic and get it only next wednesday, with the price a bit lower. I have an OTG 64gb pen, so there's that. Not sure how useful it can be.

Man my One M7 battery is really good. Can't understand it. The standby is pretty amazing. SoT is like 3.5+ hours and for a phone that's only 2300mah? Gonna miss it when I upgrade :(

Furyous

I hope this brings an official end to the 5.5 inch flagship craze.

Hima means now in Armenian so the HTC Now makes sense from a marketing perspective. That phone looks a lot more sensible
for my hands
and improves upon an already stellar flagship.

My only concern is hardware optimization. OEMs are notorious for not optimizing hardware only to watch rivals outperform their specs. In a weird way, extra time could benefit the OEMs that launch devices in the first quarter and convince them to push those devices back 45 days. There's no excuse in 2015 for unoptimized hardware.

It seems like next year is the FHD vs QHD battle. The 810 should make 1080p flagships' battery last longer in comparison to QHD devices. Hopefully Dat Hima pushes the SOT battle to the forefront. Example: "it's cool your device pushes millions of pixels but does the screen on time exceed 6.5 hours?" Thanks HTC for changing the landscape of the market.

reKon

Banned
Man my One M7 battery is really good. Can't understand it. The standby is pretty amazing. SoT is like 3.5+ hours and for a phone that's only 2300mah? Gonna miss it when I upgrade :(

M8 is even better. I honestly wouldn't have upgraded to anything else if it hadn't been stolen.

I wish HTC would stop and not go for the 5.5 inches. A few changes including a bigger battery and a phone similar to the HTC One M7 in design, and we'd have nearly the perfect premium android phone.

Zeppu

The Google Now team might as well be. I hate how multiple different searches are kept in the multitasking view.

I love having multiple 'Didn't catch that, try speaking again' activities waiting in my overview. Helps me try to remember what the fuck Google didn't understand.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I love having multiple 'Didn't catch that, try speaking again' activities waiting in my overview. Helps me try to remember what the fuck Google didn't understand.

I wish it would record the audio and have it saved for you to review later if it did not catch what you said. Like an automatic note to yoruself.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Does someone here have a Moto X with black leather back? Is it much better and premium?

Right now, I can't decide if I go with 16gb leather and get it tomorrow or 32gb plastic and get it only next wednesday, with the price a bit lower. I have an OTG 64gb pen, so there's that. Not sure how useful it can be.

According to reports the leather wears so I'd stear clear. Plus the extra storage is way worth it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Today, on "Is Googy Drunk?"

Overview/Multitasking/Overview/Overview

5 overview panes of Hangouts, all chats with one single person.
It's because you shared to Hangouts.

Symphonia

Banned
if you mean Youtube in the background then nope, that was never a TW feature.
Not in the background, no. But you know on the YouTube app, you can shrink the video to a small video in the bottom right corner? Well, I swear I saw a feature where that shrunken video stays there, even when in another Android app.

Not in the background, no. But you know on the YouTube app, you can shrink the video to a small video in the bottom right corner? Well, I swear I saw a feature where that shrunken video stays there, even when in another Android app.

you could do that with the Samsung video player, but not Youtube. there are 3rd party apps that can do it with Youtube videos.

Husker86

M8 is even better. I honestly wouldn't have upgraded to anything else if it hadn't been stolen.

I wish HTC would stop and not go for the 5.5 inches. A few changes including a bigger battery and a phone similar to the HTC One M7 in design, and we'd have nearly the perfect premium android phone.

If they shrink their bezels I'll hop back on board with HTC.

SimleuqiR

Wire is the latest new-chat-service-to-end-all-others of the month.
Zuhkx56ExDzjSBpMdIkzX2mwYlEXES8p64HdZ1lN_VE-j6SJZbLo8LTYLsKm_EVGAGQ=h900-rw

But today's release of Wire has made something even more painfully clear:

Google simply cannot let Hangouts languish with Chrome extensions.

So why, then, are we still putting up with Chrome extensions on our computers? I get the dogfooding aspect — Chrome (and Chrome OS) is the future for Google, and it's a pretty good path to travel. But there simply are times in which a native application looks and performs better. And this clearly is one of them.

http://www.androidcentral.com/wire-yet-another-reminder-google-hangouts-needs-more-chrome-extensions

Toki767

I wish Google would just open up the Hangouts API to be used with other messaging apps or something. Let someone with better design sense build an app that integrates Hangouts with SMS much better.

Reckoner

According to reports the leather wears so I'd stear clear. Plus the extra storage is way worth it.

That's actually a good thing to me. The leather seems to be of good quality and the ageing gives it personality over time. My main concern about the leather is the peeling. It looks so beautiful, judging from the pics, that's why it is so hard for me to decide.

SimleuqiR

Holy shit. Messages? But with multimedia features?! The future is here!

I know it's more of the "same". Unfortunately Google hasn't really delivered with Hangouts. Starting with the name. Gchat or Gtalk was an easy way for people to send you messages. At one point Google Talk was the most popular IM services out there, that has without a doubt changed.

Another issue is that Google got caught in this transition of merging everything, where as other companies started to go the other way; I'm mainly talking about Facebook, who's happy and content with keeping things like Instagram and Whatsapp separately from the mother ship.

Toki767

The S3/S4 had some option to overlay any video you were watching from the video app on top of your screen. It wasn't the YouTube app.

NotBacon

I just got a nexus 6. First android phone I've owned in about 4 or 5 years. Does anyone have any suggestions for must have apps? Neat features? Can't miss games? Thanks in advance

Throw it in the trash. The camera is like, 5% worse than the best phone cameras out there. Unacceptable, in the garbage it goes.

Now that that's out of the way, my faves:
Airdroid
Autodesk Pixlr
Cabinet Beta
Circa News (turn off that daily brief crap though)
JuiceSSH
reddit sync pro
Wally
Yummly

Games:
Anything by Brainium
Kingdom Rush Original/Frontiers/Origins
rymdkapsel
Osmos HD
The Room One/Two
Hitman GO

Sorry, we've gone too many posts without saying something bad about TouchWiz. Us haters get paid somehow you know.

Phew, I was contemplating firing you.

I cried tears of joy when I saw the leaked HTC One M9 specs not because I ever plan to get it but becuse it says it's just 5 inches. Hopefully the rest follow suit for 2015 :/

A google edition could be tempting if the price was right (it won't be right).

yyzjohn

Banned
I cried tears of joy when I saw the leaked HTC One M9 specs not because I ever plan to get it but becuse it says it's just 5 inches. Hopefully the rest follow suit for 2015 :/

A google edition could be tempting if the price was right (it won't be right).

Not only 5" but just 1080p resolution as well, so the screen won't be sucking extra battery power like the stupid quad hd screens manufacturers are pushing. 1080p is good enough for my purposes, i'd rather have better battery life on my phone.

Not only 5" but just 1080p resolution as well, so the screen won't be sucking extra battery power like the stupid quad hd screens manufacturers are pushing. 1080p is good enough for my purposes, i'd rather have better battery life on my phone.
agreed. Now that HTC is confirmed to be keeping their heads straight I bet it will just be LG and Samsung who go ape shit with BIGGER AND MORE specs in terms of screen sizes/resolutions/etc...

I figure motorola will stay with their resolutions that they have now. And I didn't count sony because sony.

I swear the S3/S4 could do it, why woukd Samsung remove it on the S5? Can you list any of the apps that do this?
they can't remove something they never did. Youtube works in split mode in Samsung devices that have split andit works as a hover window in the devices that support that, like some of their tablets and the Note 4.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I wish Google would just open up the Hangouts API to be used with other messaging apps or something. Let someone with better design sense build an app that integrates Hangouts with SMS much better.
I wish we just updated the standard, open protocol. Now everything is proprietary and it sucks.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I got sick of waiting for Hangouts to receive the material design update, and a clean up of the once decent interface, so I downloaded Messenger. My first impression was "ahh, so clean and minimalist. And gets the job done." My second impression was that I wish the animation of expanding messages from the conversation list was smoother (while very "material", it was a little jerky on my N4).

As some of you already know, most of Google's apps were updated over the past 24 hours. And it seems like the Messenger team addressed my complaint by removing the animation altogether, and replacing it with the now generic card pop up/over. I feel like it's a step backwards as far as the material design principles go (motion that provides direction and meaning, etc.).

This ends my long rant about a single animation being nixed instead of fixed.

teiresias

Lollipop on my Nexus 5 was great through the last dev preview build and great on the final release up until maybe two days ago. Now I'm getting alot of hitching when I exit an app back to the homescreen and getting the homescreen redraw fairly frequently. It's starting to get very annoying. Not sure what changed.

I also can't stand how the Recents menu doesn't clear out when you restart the phone.

tzare

No. You can do multiwindow but not floating app. That is samsung's own video app. I can guarantee that as i own a note 4 and my wife has an S4+

But maybe Sony's UI can since you can convert some apps into mini floating apps now.

No. You can do multiwindow but not floating app. That is samsung's own video app. I can guarantee that as i own a note 4 and my wife has an S4+

But maybe Sony's UI can since you can convert some apps into mini floating apps now.
>not using the black theme on neogaf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom