• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I was moving over my photos from my iDevices into Googles photos. When I was tagging people into the photos, it insisted to share those photos with those people and I was like GOD NO. I only do that for my own personal organization, not to spam my friends everytime I take a picture of them. On iPhoto I never had this issue because Apple never had any obligations to any social services, and I appreciated that. Photos could be sorted by people, places, etc. On Googles platform, I'm guessing all of it is handled on Google+, and that sucks.

Google has Picasa which is like iPhoto, little to no social integration, pure photo management, tagging, edits and so forth. Google+ Photos on the other hand is clearly centered on Google+.

SimleuqiR

Google has Picasa which is like iPhoto, little to no social integration, pure photo management, tagging, edits and so forth. Google+ Photos on the other hand is clearly centered on Google+.

Photos team supposedly moved from Google+ team to the Android team. So we might end up with "Photos" being it's own thing without Google+.

. TechCrunch claims that 1000-1200 employees—many of which formed the core of Google+—will be moved to other divisions. Google Hangouts will supposedly be moved to Android, and the Google+ photos team is "likely" to follow.

yyzjohn

Banned
I'm legitimately surprised by all the complaints about Hangouts. I have almost everyone with whom I regularly text using it and it works great.

Me too, I've used it since it was released and have never looked back. Constantly use it for video chat with my sister out of town.

Zeppu

I'm legitimately surprised by all the complaints about Hangouts. I have almost everyone with whom I regularly text using it and it works great.

I love and pretty much exclusively use Hangouts for all my IMs, but the app is terrible in its current incarnation. I think it has never really been as easy and quick to use as when it was still GTalk. The inablity to swipe left/right to either bring up navdrawer or switch between chats is backwards as hell, it doesn't conform to Holo or Material design guidelines, has a single action button which basically switches tabs, looks absolutely horrible on tablets (so much so that it singlehandely justifies the Verge taking down a point for Android tablets ecosystem). It requires you to go out of a chat in order to be able to globally snooze it (because you cannot access the navdrawer from within a chat) and most annoyingly, if you're inside the goddamn chat, with priority mode enabled, chatting to the person you actually have the chat activity open for, it insists on making a notification noise every single message.

Why? WHY?

I love the service, especially its ubiquity, but like many Google products lately, I get a sneaky feeling no one at Google has actually ever used the app, at least not regularly.

kehs

Banned

Picasa desktop is balls deep in social integration with g+.

Photos team supposedly moved from Google+ team to the Android team. So we might end up with "Photos" being it's own thing without Google+.

It's time to let that dream die simliquorice

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Here we go with some quick hit LTTP G3 impressions. Let me first state I have the white 32 gig version that comes with 3 gigs of LPDDR3 on AT&T.

- Boot time was fast and def faster than my One X

- I had a small OS update and that installed rather quickly as well

- QHD is probably over kill and not really that noticable

- Super high res screen IS nice though when my previous device was 720p... I can easily tell how much better it is over 720p

- I run screen brightness at 70% and that seems fine... bright enough for me without feeling dim but not max brightness

- I've yet to have any overheating... honestly runs cooler than my One XL did when using LTE as the XL tended to get warm when using LTE vs WiFi

- Battery lasted me a whole day yesterday and I wasn't under 30% yet when I charged it up at the casa yesterday evening

- 801 is speedy and I've not had any slow down what soever

- 801 kills the underclocked 600 in my N7... Wolf Among Us is graphically intensive and all of the framerate and audio problems that existed on the N7 vanished on the G3 due to the extra power

- No heat issues playing graphically intensive games like Wolf for more than 5 mins. I played for an hour no problems.

- LG Skin isn't bad but I wouldn't exactly call it good either. It's totally serviceable though and totally not a buzz kill like touchwiz

- Dual window mode works, but honestly the screen isn't big enough for it to be useful. Might work better with YouTube + Another App. I tried Hangouts + Chrome and it worked, but not enough screen. Felt personally like it wouldn't even work on the N6. You'd need a tablet sized screen.

- LG apps aren't bad, but I'm not using them. Using Chrome, Google Music + Spotify, Hangouts + New Google Messenger ect...

- Comes with LG Health but haven't tried yet... will setup this weekend

- Has a SD Card slot but not using yet since it has "32" gigs stock

- Hooked right up to my car via bluetooth in like 2 secs no problems

- Single firing speaker might not be as good as dual speakers but this might be the loudest speaker I've heard even compared to HTC's Boomsound. Single speaker is way louder than the N7 speakers I use regularly

- Camera is good not great... if you are coming from an older device like me though it's a night and day difference from the GS3/One X area of cameras... just don't expect magic especially in low light

- Laser focus works as intended and it's tap to laser focus and shoot which is nice since the only hardware buttons are on the back right next to the camera lens so your hand would be in the way

- Knock on rules... also the update I installed when I first opened supposedly improved/fixed the feature... not really sure what it fixed but I've had no weird issues

- Has a notification LED and a toggle if you don't want it on

Quixzlizx

I've managed to get my family and a few of my friends to use Hangouts. I have no cell reception in my apartment, so it is required if people want to be able to text me during non-working hours. I do wish there were some way of converting Hangouts messages to SMS once they reach the Internet, but I guess that's not really feasible.

SimleuqiR

Picasa desktop is balls deep in social integration with g+.

It's time to let that dream die simliquorice

Hey, I love Google+. So is not like I'm wishing for anything.
My only complaint with Photos and Google+ is that the Auto Backup folder is just a goddamn mess. Every time the app finds a new folder on my phone ( to back up) it should also create said folder (i.e. Reddit, Imugr, Tumblr, etc) on the Photos server side. It would be much easier for me to "see" from which of these services the photo(s) came from.

I do like that after the 5.0 update and the last Google+ update the app now will ask you if you want to incorporate your Google+ contacts into the Contacts app on the phone. You have a choice now. Before it was chaos. So many Gaffers I could butt dial or drunk call...sigh.

Vanillalite

Day 2 and solid battery life here! Nothing OMG will last for days amazing, but the G3 will easily make it through the day of normal use.

Groof

Everyone's usage is different. I have a friend who can press his N4 to do almost 48h without a charge, while I struggled to even get 12. I'm on the other hand a very heavy user, while he isn't.

G3 battery is more than adequate for some, while for others it will be mediocre. Definite step down from the G2, though. But it wins in being able to swap it on the fly.

Symphonia

Banned
Forgive me for sounding stupid, but I thought the S5 allowed users to continue watching YouTube videos whilst in another app. Did I dream this or is it actually possible? It would make browsing NeoGAF a lot easier, for sure.

I just got a nexus 6. First android phone I've owned in about 4 or 5 years. Does anyone have any suggestions for must have apps? Neat features? Can't miss games? Thanks in advance

Wow, google has brought back places and navigation app shortcuts with the new maps update..

Google has serious product management issues in their apps division.

They have no clue which services should be grouped and which shouldn't.

RedFyn

I just got a nexus 6. First android phone I've owned in about 4 or 5 years. Does anyone have any suggestions for must have apps? Neat features? Can't miss games? Thanks in advance
I've been meaning to put together a list of apps I like for these kind of questions but keep getting distracted. I'm setting up my phone this week and its probably the best time to do this. If I get to it I'll definitely post it.

In the mean time, MX Player and the amazon app store is great with a free app of the day and constant sales/giveaways.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Hello guys,

I have a serious problem with the Samsung Galaxy S Plus of my mother and hope that this is the right place.
Two days ago, it suddenly went off. It had issues with frozen apps and the generell speed of the OS for a longer time, but we wanted to wait with exchanging the phone later this month, when I would buy a iPhone 6 and would give her my old 4S.

Now it doesnt do anything. It wont boot regardlessly how long you press the Power-Button.
We bought a new battery, but nothing changed.

Now I think there are two possibilities:

1 - The new battery came without energy and the mini-USB-Port for loading is broken. I cant say this for sure, I currently dont have the tools avaiable to check this. Would probably the easiest way for solve the problem, since I only need a external loading device.

2 - The mainboard of the phone is broken

My problem is, that she still has tons of datas on her phone, especially photos of my grandfather who died ealier this year. Of course she never made a backup.

Are there any ways to gain still access the memory on the phone? I read in another forum, that the phone has a build in SD card, but I really dont want to open the phone by myself and I also couldnt see a built in SD card in the ifixit teardown...

Groof

Safe locations is so janky. When it works it works well, but at random times it'll just turn off my locations and I'll have to go back in and enable them again. It happens often enough to be a real nuisance, so I'll be turning it off completely for now.

Hello guys,

I have a serious problem with the Samsung Galaxy S Plus of my mother and hope that this is the right place.
Two days ago, it suddenly went off. It had issues with frozen apps and the generell speed of the OS for a longer time, but we wanted to wait with exchanging the phone later this month, when I would buy a iPhone 6 and would give her my old 4S.

Now it doesnt do anything. It wont boot regardlessly how long you press the Power-Button.
We bought a new battery, but nothing changed.

Now I think there are two possibilities:

1 - The new battery came without energy and the mini-USB-Port for loading is broken. I cant say this for sure, I currently dont have the tools avaiable to check this. Would probably the easiest way for solve the problem, since I only need a external loading device.

2 - The mainboard of the phone is broken

My problem is, that she still has tons of datas on her phone, especially photos of my grandfather who died ealier this year. Of course she never made a backup.

Are there any ways to gain still access the memory on the phone? I read in another forum, that the phone has a build in SD card, but I really dont want to open the phone by myself and I also couldnt see a built in SD card in the ifixit teardown...
maybe try entering recovery mode? Obviously don't actually go through with the factory reset once you do but sometimes I've seen entering recovery mode and then trying to boot up again gets it going.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
maybe try entering recovery mode? Obviously don't actually go through with the factory reset once you do but sometimes I've seen entering recovery mode and then trying to boot up again gets it going.

That will be my plan for this afternoon, I hope I find a way to reload the phone a bit to enter recovery mode.

One thing I havent yet tried is just putting the phone on a PC via USB, maybe that will load it enough to make it reboot.

Thats a little part of the problem, I werent able to detect yet, if there is a problem with the USB-Miniport which provides me from reloading or if the mainboard is bricked.

welp 6+ leading all phablet sales in US with only a month+ of release time and heavy supply problems, regular 6 still leading:

Kantar data shows that the iPhone 6 Plus managed to take a 41% share of all US phablet sales for the August to October quarter, despite only being on sale for a little over one of those months and significant supply constraints.

So when the iphone dominated phone sales in the usa, all android manufacturers thought they'd differentiate by going bigger since they needed a reason for casuals to get their phone over an iphone. So now that the 6+ beat all phablet sales with just a single month of sales and supply constraints, does that mean android manufacturers are going to go EVEN BIGGER than they already have or maybe if we're all lucky they'll go back and make smaller "in" again. Thought it should be said that the 4.7 inch iphone sold 3 times more than the 6+ apparently in the same period.

With that said, I predict we see a 6.5 inch phone next year. And it will be ridiculous.

Hasney

Going smaller wouldn't mean we're all lucky. It would be the worst news ever and one of the signs of the apocalypse.

Bring on 6.5

Zeppu

Today, on "Is Googy Drunk?"

Overview/Multitasking/Overview/Overview

0Bi7n1V.png
fZVY5IS.png
FwFnooy.png

5 overview panes of Hangouts, all chats with one single person.

Vanillalite

Bam bam bam

Shit getting realz!

@upleaks in the building slaying previous rumors

HTC Hima:S810 2.0GHz*4+1.5GHz*4, 3GB RAM, 5″ FHD, VoLTE/CA/LTE Cat.6, 20.7MP(front 13MP or UltraPixel 4MP), 2840mAh, Android 5.0/Sense 7.0:)

— @upleaks (@upleaks) December 4, 2014

810 chip problems be damned. This Shit bring it.

Hasney

That's what it appears. YMMV as obviously none of this is confirmed, but UPLeaks has been reliable in the past.

I'm fine with that. You could have tweeted from your personal account and I would go back to living in hope instead of the crushing despair that life usually brings.

Drifters

To be fair it's only a 5" screen@1080p

It's not a QHD 5.5+ deal

The M8 is only a 2600 battery so this is an upgrade, and you don't hear many current battery complaints about the One M8.

Well tbh, the M8 gets insane battery life which means OEMs > Google when it comes to optimizations. That said, rumors have said the phone will have a QHD and this is the first we're they've stated just full HD. Either way, I'm convinced now that I got almost 36 hours of use and about 4.5 hrs of SoT on my M8 that HTC knows their shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom