• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

3phemeral

Dropped 3 year old Iphone 4 today, treated me well and introduced me into dat smartphone life. Fuck it, I want android now. Been obsessing over the one plus one lately. Any gaffers have one yet? This invite system is preeettty lame.

I was interested in the idea of the 1+1 and if anything, I would want one for the specs. But considering I'm on Verizon and I'm happy with my Moto X, I would probably only get one to tinker with the hardware. Though, it seems it might be difficult to get my hands on one.

As for cheap Android phone that's actually decent, have to tried looking into any of the Moto X/G/E variants? They recently emailed about another $75-off coupon that comes with some free/discounted accessories I believe.

Nicktendo86

But that is not going to happen for $349, is it?
Course not, but price wasn't the main factor for me as I go down the subsidised route anyway. Main things for me are stock android with nice clean hardware, would be willing to pay a little more on my monthly contract to get that with a phone that has zero compromise.

Husker86

I'd rather pay up or deal with a contract and end up with a phone I actually enjoy using. Since switching to the N4 and N5, I've pretty much stopped using cell phone cameras entirely, which impacts a variety of other things.

Yeah, I think I might just buy the G3 outright. I take a reasonable amount of pictures with my N5, and I'm happy with them for the most part, but I think I'll just pay up for the best of the best for my next phone.

Though, the Nexus line has cured me of my ROM flashing habits (which, deep down, I hated..but I had to do it). I hope I won't be tempted to return to that if I get a G3.

VoxPop

Course not, but price wasn't the main factor for me as I go down the subsidised route anyway. Main things for me are stock android with nice clean hardware, would be willing to pay a little more on my monthly contract to get that with a phone that has zero compromise.

Sorry no such thing exists.

Toki767

Yeah, I think I might just buy the G3 outright. I take a reasonable amount of pictures with my N5, and I'm happy with them for the most part, but I think I'll just pay up for the best of the best for my next phone.

Though, the Nexus line has cured me of my ROM flashing habits (which, deep down, I hated..but I had to do it). I hope I won't be tempted to return to that if I get a G3.

I've been perfectly fine with the G2 UI. I tried the custom ROMs, but strangely enough for the G2 in particular, battery life went to hell on custom ROMs and the stock ROM LG put together just had most of the useful shortcut toggles and extra software optimization already in place.

I'm thinking it'll be the same with the G3.

VoxPop

Well, as little comprise as possible ;)

My personal recommendations

M7/M8

Pros

- Great looking hardware and a nice premium feel
- Sense 6 is definitely a step ahead of the stock Tron experience on Nexus devices
- Good battery
- Awesome front speakers and sound via headphones
- SD Card Slot (M8) if you need that

Cons

-The M8 is a bit big for my taste and no idea why they kept the bottom HTC bezel when they went with software keys
- Camera (M7) and seems like the M8 as well

Moto X

Pros

- Price
- Moto Maker customization
- Great battery from what I hear
- More or less Pure Android

Cons

- Mediocre Camera
- Mediocre Display
- Doesn't have the specs that the other flagships have

Galaxy Note 3/GS5

Pros

- Great display
- Great battery
- Great camera
- Removable battery and sd card slot
- S-Pen (Note)

Cons

- Touchwiz
- Bloated to all hell with very little usable space in which youre stuck putting everything on a slow SD card
- Touchwiz
- Cheap plastic
- Samsung
- Touchwiz

Nexus 5

Pros

- Stock Android / Timely updates
- The nice kind of plastic
- Clean front face and great display
- Great price

Cons

- Battery
- Camera

LG G3

Don't really know much about this line but my friend has the G2 and enjoys it. Battery life is killer but he says the awful LG skin ruins it. The G3 has an insane 2560x1440p display and from what I'm reading, the same insane battery. Seems like a great phone but the only issue is the plastic.

Remember, plastic is always inherently inferior to metal and you should always base your phone purchasing decision on this one material.

Also Samsung uses inherently inferior plastic compared to other manufacturers. Don't be fooled by SamStic, also called S-Plastic! It's actually Styrofoam disguised as plastic!

VoxPop

Remember, plastic is always inherently inferior to metal and you should always base your phone purchasing decision on this one material.

Also Samsung uses inherently inferior plastic compared to other manufacturers. Don't be fooled by SamStic, also called S-Plastic! It's actually Styrofoam disguised as plastic!

Listen to this girl

TROOF

motorola just announced the nexus q:

BpN2l0JIcAAOvAk.png

#Motostream

I like!

LuffyZoro

I'm getting the G2 this week, looking forward to it. It'll be an upgrade from my HTC EVO 3D at least. I know the G3 is coming out soon, but that'll be a lot more expensive and the G2 looks plenty good enough for my needs.

Nicktendo86

I'm getting the G2 this week, looking forward to it. It'll be an upgrade from my HTC EVO 3D at least. I know the G3 is coming out soon, but that'll be a lot more expensive and the G2 looks plenty good enough for my needs.
My brother LOVED his g2, until he dropped it and it smashed.

Fox318

Thinking of picking up an HTC One M8 soon as my Galaxy Nexus is on its last legs. I want to keep my unlimited plan so where should I purchase my phone?

Ebay?
Amazon?

Thinking of picking up an HTC One M8 soon as my Galaxy Nexus is on its last legs. I want to keep my unlimited plan so where should I purchase my phone?

Ebay?
Amazon?

If you are in the US and have a Galaxy Nexus then you are on Verizon. I can tell you there are a few easy methods available to renew a contract on Verizon and getting the contract price on a new device while keeping unlimited data. I'll leave finding these methods as a Google exercise for you.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Pretty much a given to be launched at I/O, huh? That's awesome. But I want phone/tablet stuff, too.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Oh yeah, for those of you using Nova launcher, they just added OK, Google from the home screen. Pretty awesome. Hopefully there's not too much battery drain.

I just installed the Xposed module for it day before yesterday and it works wonders on the G2. No extra battery drain either.

3phemeral

Perfect timing for anyone (and that one poster) who wanted a cheap Android phone that doesn't suck. I *just* got this email from Motorola:

48-hour sale
Begins June 4
For two days only, enjoy a savings of $100. Get a 32GB Moto X without a contract starting at just $349.99. This 48-hour sale starts on Wednesday, June 4 at 12:00am ET.
Take advantage of special financing and pay as little as $25 per month. Apply for Motorola Credit and pay nothing at checkout.*​

MarkusRJR

Perfect timing for anyone (and that one poster) who wanted a cheap Android phone that doesn't suck. I *just* got this email from Motorola:

48-hour sale
Begins June 4
For two days only, enjoy a savings of $100. Get a 32GB Moto X without a contract starting at just $349.99. This 48-hour sale starts on Wednesday, June 4 at 12:00am ET.
Take advantage of special financing and pay as little as $25 per month. Apply for Motorola Credit and pay nothing at checkout.*​
Fuck this is probably the only time in my life where I wish I lived in the States. :(

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
So, I decided to take the bullet and get a Korean G3 (F400S), and here are my thoughts for the first 24 hrs:

(taken with the amazing Z2 camera)

* It supports ATT LTE, which is a nice bonus:

* The speaker and earpiece are very, very loud. The 1.5w actually sells itself nicely

* There's lag. Yup..but it isn't as bad as the Cupcake/Gingerbread days..it's only noticeable when opening the settings menu, which is all types of odd. I do believe LG needs to optimize (read: OTA) a bit, because it doesn't lag constantly - just with opening of certain apps. ie, settings. Scrolling on the homescreen is smooth, though

* The screen is indeed gorgeous, and since it doesn't seem to drain power (see below)..well, why not?

* Battery: well see for yourself. I took it off it's charger about 7:50 am today and:
It's obviously a contender

That's all I got now

Groof

So, I decided to take the bullet and get a Korean G3 (F400S), and here are my thoughts for the first 24 hrs:

* The speaker and earpiece are very, very loud. The 1.5w actually sells itself nicely

* There's lag. Yup..but it isn't as bad as the Cupcake/Gingerbread days..it's only noticeable when opening the settings menu, which is all types of odd. I do believe LG needs to optimize (read: OTA) a bit, because it doesn't lag constantly - just with opening of certain apps. ie, settings. Scrolling on the homescreen is smooth, though

* The screen is indeed gorgeous, and since it doesn't seem to drain power (see below)..well, why not?

* Battery: well see for yourself. I took it off it's charger about 7:50 am today and:

That's all I got now

Amazing. Thanks for this post, nice to see some impressions so early on. Seems like it's a beast.
Tried the camera any?

NotBacon

Have you tried it with ART?

Morts

I've been debating between the S5 and the One (M8) for weeks now and my 2.5yo Galaxy Nexus gets about 2 hours on a full battery. Touchwiz looks like crap but I'm afraid of being stuck with an unsatisfying camera for two years. Someone decide for me.

That's all I got now

Is it worth the import?

How's the baterry compare to the z2. Seem on par with the z2 base on the state you gave, I usually take my z2 of the charger at 7:30am and when I get home at 6pm I still have about 70 percent battery.

You think its worth the import? Or should I wait for the US version?
I'm very sensitive to lag...

Toki767

I've been debating between the S5 and the One (M8) for weeks now and my 2.5yo Galaxy Nexus gets about 2 hours on a full battery. Touchwiz looks like crap but I'm afraid of being stuck with an unsatisfying camera for two years. Someone decide for me.
There's always the E8?

malfcn

Feel like the battery might be going faster on 4.4.2 than 4.1 or whatever it was before. Hope I'm not imagining things.

And I'm sure it was att trying to sneak Beats into the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom