• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purposely left samsung out because touchwiz is never a consideration for me lol. So basically everyone but motorola and nexus. I don't think cyanogen has one out yet for oneplus. Thought they'd be quicker.

Its paning out exactly like it did last year so far. No one has gotten better as far as I can see?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The shield has a ton of issues. Its just not over priced like the nexus 9 but that does not make the shield a better tablet. Because its not.

If you want the extra nvidia stuff it is IMO.

It's actually useful added value vs the usual 3rd party bloatware.

Aizo

Banned
I need some help. I just bought a Galaxy S5, and I'm really frustrated that I cannot change the language to Japanese (on my Galaxy Nexus, I could). This is causing problems for some of my applications, and it's kind of a huge annoyance. Do Android phones no longer support the Japanese language option in North America? Is there anything I can do? I've spent hours trying many different things.

Husker86

I need some help. I just bought a Galaxy S5, and I'm really frustrated that I cannot change the language to Japanese (on my Galaxy Nexus, I could). This is causing problems for some of my applications, and it's kind of a huge annoyance. Do Android phones no longer support the Japanese language option in North America? Is there anything I can do? I've spent hours trying many different things.

My Nexus 5 has it. (I think, it says Japanese in Japanese characters so I had to look that up and it looks like it matches)

It looks like you might need to root the S5 to get it additional languages on it :/
http://www.androidcentral.com/how-change-language-samsung-galaxy-s5

Aizo

Banned
Verizon doesn't support that phone :(
Do the Note 4 or Note Edge support the Japanese language option?

I just used developer mode to enable the Japanese locale, but that only affected some apps, because the Japanese language version of the OS just isn't in the phone?

Edit: this may have fixed all that I needed.

Verizon doesn't support that phone :(
Do the Note 4 or Note Edge support the Japanese language option?

I just used developer mode to enable the Japanese locale, but that only affected some apps, because the Japanese language version of the OS just isn't in the phone?

Maybe Samsung doesn't support it out of the box.

XBP

So what does the lollipop status look like now.

HTC and LG aren't updating their flagships till 2015 right? Motorola is done/about to be done? Nexuses are done? Is the oneplus done?

I need to know who to ignore next year for good.

Moto still hasn't updated all 2nd gen G and X phones.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
This thread moves so fast people miss what was posted a couple of pages back

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=141635683&postcount=16025

Of course it's closed messaging service. They want that Whatsapp money.
I learned about it from you, I think, but no one is talking about it so I reposted.

Shame on you AJ. You should know better than to just post pics without quoting to post!
It looked fine on my 1440. If people don't have 1440 already, ugh. Put me on ignore because I don't want any association.

Drifters

I purposely left samsung out because touchwiz is never a consideration for me lol. So basically everyone but motorola and nexus. I don't think cyanogen has one out yet for oneplus. Thought they'd be quicker.
I'm not surprised since they are slow to adopt version releases since they are working in closing their code branch for Jelly Bean....edit.. Ha! I mean Kit Kat.

I think I've solved my Nexus 5 lollipop problems.

I used to have everything crash all the time and home reloads and shit. But I deleted a lot of unused programs and wallpapers and then ran an antivirus app. It didn't find any viruses, but seemed to clean up some bullshit stuff. Haven't had an issue since.

Groof

Don't hold your breath too long, Groof, you might just die waiting for the perfect Hangouts.

Oh no, I've already given up on that. I'm just hoping for a slightly improved Hangouts.

Google and perfect are two words that were never meant to be uttered together.

NotBacon

I think I've solved my Nexus 5 lollipop problems.

I used to have everything crash all the time and home reloads and shit. But I deleted a lot of unused programs and wallpapers and then ran an antivirus app. It didn't find any viruses, but seemed to clean up some bullshit stuff. Haven't had an issue since.

Anti-virus apps do more harm than good.
I wonder if it was one of those apps that you removed. Maybe it was rogue or didn't play nice with lollipop....

Anti-virus apps do more harm than good.
I wonder if it was one of those apps that you removed. Maybe it was rogue or didn't play nice with lollipop....

Yeah, not sure what it was that solved it. I deleted the antivirus app imediatly after, but it already seemed to have wrecked my pocket casts. Haha.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I've upgraded to 5.0.1 on my HTC One. Working great, Loving it so far.

Are there any guides / tips to 5.0? Any specific apps that are great on it or is it just standard android business as usual?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Can someone explain why YouTube's mobile site would launch whenever a link is clicked instead of the native app? I cleared the cache and defaults of all the apps involved.

Ydahs

Bought the Moto X, but realized it doesn't have a notification light... I liked that feeling of waking up in the middle of the night and glancing at my phone to see a green light indicating a message from a friend. Ah well.

But this doesn't matter with Active Display, right? Does the white text notification always fade in and out, or is it only when you interact with it? Hard to find any information on it online.

EDIT: wait, how does Active Display work with Lollipop's lock screen? Loved the notifications previews.

Fatalah

Guys, Wire is an awesome messaging app. Unfortunately, it's also proprietary :(

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wire

K65Jnc8.png

Note to Google: Fire the Hangouts team, buyout the Wire team.

kinggroin

Banned
I don't need every thing to become its own recents window when its parts of the same activity. This is taking recent to full ham mode.

Edit: why the hell is chrome opening YouTube links in the browser now??

Sch1sm

I don't need every thing to become its own recents window when its parts of the same activity. This is taking recent to full ham mode.

Edit: why the hell is chrome opening YouTube links in the browser now??

Wish we knew why Chrome was doing that. I cleared cache and data and still ldidnt get the prompt to open in the YouTube app. Google's lost their minds.

Drifters

I just read three previews of leaked flagship's for next year and I have to say, I no longer care since we have hit diminishing returns. Time for the software to catch up.

I just read three previews of leaked flagship's for next year and I have to say, I no longer care since we have hit diminishing returns. Time for the software to catch up.

While I agree on the hardware side (again, the only thing my next phone needs is better battery life and a better camera), I'm not really sure what other big features in the OS are still missing. At least nothing that would be convenient to someone like me, who isn't locked to one ecosystem. Of course I never would've thought of something like smart unlock, but I've been lamenting the lack of location aware profiles for a while now and I guess trusted places is a good step in the right direction and I hope they're going to expand on that. But what else could be done? Again, purely from a platform agnostic standpoint.

Has anyone tried the Tap & Go feature on Lollipop?

I was wondering about using it to clone my N5 over to my old N4 and to be able to use the N4 as a data backup so that I can do a clean install on my N5 but not sure if the feature can work that way. Anyone have any insight?

kinggroin

Banned
beta chrome?

Regular Chrome

I was wondering about using it to clone my N5 over to my old N4 and to be able to use the N4 as a data backup so that I can do a clean install on my N5 but not sure if the feature can work that way. Anyone have any insight?

Worked as advertised. Brought over my settings, wallpaper, and apps (well, temp links to them as they gradually installed). No complaints doing it from my One Plus to the N6

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Hardware still has a ways to go. Memory usage needs help. Tabs and home screens constantly refreshing is unacceptable. I don't think software can fix it completely yet.

Software needs help on phones and tablets bigger than 5". We need proper multi app on screen use.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Pretty sure it doesn't actually transfer app data and such. It just saves you some time by setting up your home screens like you had them, etc.

Saiyan-Rox

Sill have that voucher for £100 off a moto X2 from the Moto maker not sure if I should go for it or not my N5 is strong enough for me.

Also on the topic of hangouts i'd love to use it but it seems the majority of Android users don't know what it even is or how to add their friends on it (from my circle anyway)

IMO if they unlicked Hangouts from G+ and made it kinda of like how I message works on iOS (argh mentioned the unmentionable) and if Google made it so all OEM had it as the default messaging app perhaps that would help it take off? but that's just my thoughts of course it might not actually be the best idea.

Vanillalite

Hardware still has a ways to go. Memory usage needs help. Tabs and home screens constantly refreshing is unacceptable. I don't think software can fix it completely yet.

Software needs help on phones and tablets bigger than 5". We need proper multi app on screen use.

To be fair 3 gigs of RAM should fix that. The problem is all of the phones and tablets with 2 gigs are so borderline especially if they have a QHD or higher resolution.

From what I've read 1080p on down uses 256 of RAM for VRAM above that res they all use 512. That really would only leave you 1 gig for programs if you count that the OS itself needs RAM on a super high res tablet like the N9 with 2 gigs of RAM total.

DDR4 will help with performance on the 810, but it won't solve multitasking if you just don't have enough RAM to go around.

I'm gonna do some research on how much base aosp takes up just to run the OS.

NotBacon

Bought the Moto X, but realized it doesn't have a notification light... I liked that feeling of waking up in the middle of the night and glancing at my phone to see a green light indicating a message from a friend. Ah well.

But this doesn't matter with Active Display, right? Does the white text notification always fade in and out, or is it only when you interact with it? Hard to find any information on it online.

EDIT: wait, how does Active Display work with Lollipop's lock screen? Loved the notifications previews.

It should pulse even when you're not interacting with it. If you don't want to wait for the next pulse, you can wave your hand over it to get it to show up. As for Lollipop, you should be able to choose between Moto Display and Lollipop Ambient Display somewhere in settings....

Vanillalite

Deciding which new phone to get and stuck between LG G3 and Note 4 at the moment. What are your guys' thoughts?

Depends on price, and if you are willing to deal with a big ass phone with touchwiz.

Note 4 has better hardware internals and camera, but G3 has better hardware design with a large display in a smallerish package.

G3 also doesn't have wiz.

Depends on how much you can stand the wiz and if you want to pay the Note 4 premium price.

For the record I got the G3 last week and love it.

Depends on price, and if you are willing to deal with a big ass phone with touchwiz.

Note 4 has better hardware internals and camera, but G3 has better hardware design with a large display in a smallerish package.

G3 also doesn't have wiz.

Depends on how much you can stand the wiz and if you want to pay the Note 4 premium price.

For the record I got the G3 last week and love it.

Optimus UI is basically TouchWiz

they even have 'SmartShare Beam' and other features pioneered by Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom