• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

malyce

Shit is bananas!!
Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/lgq7R44.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/wI2CpKV.jpg[/img]
Excuse the orange screen, running twilight. So 1.5 days plus 3+ he's of SoT is amazing. I feel like every other phone post the M8 has to best this.

The G2 says hi. Raising the bar for flagship battery life since summer 2013, only to have 2014 flagships barely match or totally fall short of its greatness.

Husker86

I was this close to getting an M8 yesterday (could get a crazy good deal), but decided not to. I know I'm gonna sound crazy, but looking at htc's current smartphone design on all their various devices, I just can't accept that big ass bezel on all sides. The bottom in particular is ridiculous. There's no need for that much wasted space for a tiny, unnecessary ass logo.

You're not crazy, those bezels are ridiculous.

NotBacon

I was this close to getting an M8 yesterday (could get a crazy good deal), but decided not to. I know I'm gonna sound crazy, but looking at htc's current smartphone design on all their various devices, I just can't accept that big ass bezel on all sides. The bottom in particular is ridiculous. There's no need for that much wasted space for a tiny, unnecessary ass logo.

Has bothered me since the announcement. I've never forgiven them for it.

Hasney

Bezels rarely ever bother me compared to some of the people here that think they're the bane of existence, but that m8 is ridiculous m8.

my post from many pages ago:
Also if I see the triple chin/bottom bezel then it's an automatic major fail:

rUti7CG.png

Reckoner

Do you guys think that, because of the Snapdragon 810, many manufacturers will announce and release their new phones in the first half of 2015? It will be great to have the second gen Moto 360 and a new Moto X earlier.

mturco

Do you guys think that, because of the Snapdragon 810, many manufacturers will announce and release their new phones in the first half of 2015? It will be great to have the second gen Moto 360 and a new Moto X earlier.

No. They can't just magically shorten their hardware cycle by 4-6 months. And then there's the 810 delays due to poor yield. If anything, we could see OEMs that typically release earlier in the year releasing later this year. Which I wouldn't mind at all personally.

Reckoner

No. They can't just magically shorten their hardware cycle by 4-6 months. And then there's the 810 delays due to poor yield. If anything, we could see OEMs that typically release earlier in the year releasing later this year. Which I wouldn't mind at all personally.

It would be too good for me. I would be ok on delaying my smartphone purchase a few months, but a year is too much.

Furyous

At this point, I think it's best for me to wait on 2015 flagships that use the 805 over the 810. Overheating issues are still there in the 810. It kind of sucks that we'll have to wait until 2016 to have a 64 bit SOC on the market that's optimized for Android smartphones.

Does anyone have info on the 805's performance with 1080p devices? We've seen it on the LTE-A QHD displays. However, a 720p/1080p device with 2900+ battery should beast with an S805.

We'll see how this pans out.

diaspora

Hopefully Sony moves forward with improvements on 1080p panels on their phones and stay far, far away from 1440p. That combined with a good SOC, and further improvement on battery life would make them golden to me.

malyce

At this point, I think it's best for me to wait on 2015 flagships that use the 805 over the 810. Overheating issues are still there in the 810. It kind of sucks that we'll have to wait until 2016 to have a 64 bit SOC on the market that's optimized for Android smartphones.

Does anyone have info on the 805's performance with 1080p devices? We've seen it on the LTE-A QHD displays. However, a 720p/1080p device with 2900+ battery should beast with an S805.

We'll see how this pans out.

I'm afraid the 1080p flag-ship has sailed. 2015 is gonna looked like this:

Flagships: QHD
Sub-Flagships: 1080p
Low end/entry level: 720p

I also find it absolutely hilarious that apple had a chip that was comfortably capable of pushing QHD screens sitting in a sub 720p phone since last year while android OEMs are shipping QHD phones with 801s. Apple 2nd go at 20nm come september is gonna be a thing of beauty.

Sch1sm

Hangouts team going big tomorrow. Hopefully they dont dissapoint

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/+...m=1&spath=/app/basic/stream&sparm=gpsrc=gplp0

I wonder if it'll be good enough for me to switch back from Messenger. I like the clean simplicity of it, and last I checked Hangouts was still partly Holo. Hopefully they didn't only revamp look.

Hopefully Sony moves forward with improvements on 1080p panels on their phones and stay far, far away from 1440p. That combined with a good SOC, and further improvement on battery life would make them golden to me.

The Z4 is rumoured to be 1440p, though! 5.2" screen and 805 Snap, by the way. I'm with you on the battery life, I hope most flagships focus on that.

diaspora

The Z4 is rumoured to be 1440p, though! 5.2" screen and 805 Snap, by the way. I'm with you on the battery life, I hope most flagships focus on that.

I know ;_;

If Sony can't keep the battery life at least on par with the Z3, I don't think they should even bother with 1440p imo. Should be the last thing on their list of priorities.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
To be fair Qualcomm came out after all the rumors and said 810 on schedule.

YMMV on who to believe, but that does need to be said.

Zeppu

If it wasn't for some of my androidgraf brethren, I'd have given a huge fuck you to hangouts a long time ago.

I've been thinking about it a lot if I'm honest. At this point I feel like I just broke up with my girlfriend, Google, and everything I used to find cute and endearing I'm now finding illogical and enraging.

Groof

STICKERS!!!!!!!!! WHOOO BLESS THA GODS ON THIS GLORIOUS DAY

Too bad the rest of it seems the same shit. KakaoTalk still leading

thenexus6

I am looking for suggestions for new photo gallery app. I dislike the built in one as its shows all my google + photos and I don't know how to hide them. Any tips on how I either hide them or a better app with a nice UI

Husker86

I am looking for suggestions for new photo gallery app. I dislike the built in one as its shows all my google + photos and I don't know how to hide them. Any tips on how I either hide them or a better app with a nice UI

You can select "On Device" from the slide-in menu. Can't remember if that sticks through app reload, though.

I used to use something called QuickPic which was good. No reason that I don't use it anymore, but that might do what you want.

HKnightz

meh if it's just a temp phone personally I'd get a moto g/last years moto x for cheap on ebay or privately elsewhere. But that's just me! You'll only be using it four a couple months anyway.

But if you could find the g2 for cheaper go for it.

Thanks Pyro, I got the moto g lte for 145. I know it's not as nice as the 2014 one but I wanted LTE haha.

JoeFu

Banned
The best messenger with stickers is obviously LINE. They got some awesome animated ones now too.

It's pretty cool hangouts is getting them though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom