• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sch1sm

Though needed in asian markets I guess. Really don't understand the hangouts hate.

I'm not hating on Hangouts at all. We were explaining stickers to Hazard.
Eesh, assumptions m8.
I used Hangouts for nearly all of my Nexus life
and in my case it's nothing more than another SMS app since no one I know really uses Hangouts.
And once I download the apk I'll switch back since it'll be Material Design, then.

Wreav

Banned
I feel really bad for folks who don't have friends and family that use Hangouts.

In my experience, you have to shove it down their throats, and then even iOS users will usually convert.

Reckoner

Droid branding, though. Not expecting it in Europe after what happened with the Droid Turbo. I wish we had the Moto Maxx available here.

I wouldn't mind. I'm looking forward to the new Moto and Sony Xperia.

Me too. I'm curious to see what Sony will have to show, even though the latest rumors haven't been that good. I expect them to release a phone with a 810 chip, if they are going for yearly releases again.

GQman2121

Banned
The backspace key on my keyboard (Xperia Z1) has started to delay when deleting text on this site. It doesn't do it on other site that I visit, only GAF.

Is anyone else having this issue with Chrome? I've deleted my keyboard data, restarted, but the issue persist.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Any suggestion on how to make the keyboard predictions better in any way on LG G3?

It have been terrible for a few months.

Install the Google Keyboard instead.

I gave the stock LG keyboard a week. Then I was like nope. Switched back to Google Keyboard like on my old phone and my N7. Much happier.

Groof

Google is really strange about the Keyboard. It's only visible to English native countries, but if you have the link you can install it. At least I and my friends could. It's really annoying too because if they update it I'll have to find the link to it again.
Maybe they lock out some countries, but you could always just try to sideload the apk.

Pachimari

Google is really strange about the Keyboard. It's only visible to English native countries, but if you have the link you can install it. At least I and my friends could. It's really annoying too because if they update it I'll have to find the link to it again.
Maybe they lock out some countries, but you could always just try to sideload the apk.

How do I get the apk and how do I sideload it?

I would really love to have the Google keyboard.

Groof

How do I get the apk and how do I sideload it?

I would really love to have the Google keyboard.
Download it from here. Then you just open the file on your phone to install, but you need to turn on "unknown sources" under Security in your device settings to be able to install it.

It's the official apk so you will be able to get updates through the app store, but like I said, you won't get notified of it so it's better to rely on APK Mirror.

Pachimari

Download it from here. Then you just open the file on your phone to install, but you need to turn on "unknown sources" under Security in your device settings to be able to install it.

It's the official apk so you will be able to get updates through the app store, but like I said, you won't get notified of it so it's better to rely on APK Mirror.

I just installed it. Thank you very much!

It seems like it only have English language though, maybe that's why it can't be downloaded directly from the Play Store in my country.

Zeppu

Hey guys.

Have you tried writing 'hahaha' or similar in the desktop version of hangouts :)

ha%2Bha%2Bha.gif

terrier

You can add more languages in settings. (Language and Input then the Google Keyboard settings)

but not all of the languages supported have swipe support. It is kinda weird, really. I like Google keyboard quite a bit, but being unable to use swipe in my language sucks

RoadHazard

Gold Member
but not all of the languages supported have swipe support. It is kinda weird, really. I like Google keyboard quite a bit, but being unable to use swipe in my language sucks

What language is that? Works just fine in Swedish at least. Don't really know why that would be language-dependent.

terrier

What language is that? Works just fine in Swedish at least. Don't really know why that would be language-dependent.

Catalan, it works for Spanish, English but not Catalan, despite being supported in Android.
I guess it is a situation similar to Ok Google detection, that needs US english to enable detection from any screen, and doesn't support spoken catalan yet (that would be understable since voice recognition ain't easy, but swiping makes no sense)

True. Worst part is you have to switch languages every time for swipes. My Z3 stock keyboard recognises my 3 main languages I use simultaneously for suggestions.

j-wood

Hey guys,

Looking for some advice. I recently bought the DROID Turbo on VZW, but I'm debating taking it back and swapping it for the 2013 Moto X.

My main concern being I want fast updates, especially lollipop. But they are basically the same phone right? And the Turbo is better in every respect?

Sch1sm

Hey guys,

Looking for some advice. I recently bought the DROID Turbo on VZW, but I'm debating taking it back and swapping it for the 2013 Moto X.

My main concern being I want fast updates, especially lollipop. But they are basically the same phone right? And the Turbo is better in every respect?

Droid Turbo should get it pretty quickly, really. I'd keep the Turbo if only for the battery, it won't be too long a wait when it comes to updates considering how quickly Motorola is rolling L out.

j-wood

Droid Turbo should get it pretty quickly, really. I'd keep the Turbo if only for the battery, it won't be too long a wait when it comes to updates considering how quickly Motorola is rolling L out.

I'm really disappointed with the camera on the Turbo. There is a shutter lag that is unbearable and makes it tough to take pictures.

Wreav

Banned
Hey guys,

Why on earth would you swap it for the 2013 X? 2014 or bust!

Wreav

Banned
Typo, I meant the 2014 2nd gen X. Is the battery as bad as the reviews have made it? I know it won't be as good as the Turbo.

Mine gets here Monday, I'll let you know. Consensus seems to be it'll get you through at least a 12 hour day with no top off, which is fine for me.

Hasney

Typo, I meant the 2014 2nd gen X. Is the battery as bad as the reviews have made it? I know it won't be as good as the Turbo.

That battery is the worst of all the flagships. I couldn't cope with that as my Galaxy S4 has proved to me, but I guess it would be serviceable to some.

69317.png

That battery is the worst of all the flagships. I couldn't cope with that as my Galaxy S4 has proved to me, but I guess it would be serviceable to some.

69317.png

I had no idea the Moto X 2014 is still better than my GS4 at Wi-Fi browsing.

Also, anyone want my $140 off coupon for the Moto X 2014?

j-wood

I had no idea the Moto X 2014 is still better than my GS4 at Wi-Fi browsing.

Also, anyone want my $140 off coupon for the Moto X 2014?

Anyway I could snag that in case i get one? I'm outside of my return window :(

So I might buy full price and sell my DROID Turbo to an individual

Pachimari

I have it installed on my G3. (USA, Sprint version)

I got it installed as well with English and Danish keyboards. Thank you so much to all of you kind people. I really appreciate it. :)

I don't regret going from iOS to Android at all. It's just so much more pleasing to my eyes and there's so many possibilities on Android. The only thing I miss from iOS are the many games like Monster Hunter, FF Tactics and such but I can deal without and just use my LG G3 primarily as a phone.

Which phones are you people seeing as the ones with a good chance of becoming the best next year? Xperia Z4, OnePlus Two, Galaxy S6, LG G4?

Hasney

It's hard to predict next year now with the 810 "It's coming in time for flagships, no it isn't, now it is" saga.

Z4 looks like it might disappoint with the latest round of spec rumours
unless the Ultra comes out over here. That will be mine
. QHD and an 805 might kill their battery life selling point, but they could pull it off. Just doesn't seem like even a small jump over a Z3.

Everyone else is up in the air and it's there for the taking.

Pachimari

I just hope LG makes some good choices. I love my LG G3, but I really want the G4 to be 1080p, and to have longer battery life (which will come with the lesser screen, but I don't think they'll do it) and I actually don't know what more I want from LG other than better processor, specs and such inside stuff. I hope it'll still be made of plastic and keep the removable backside cover.

Toki767

I don't think we'll see any phones next year with an 810 using a 1080p screen. I think most manufacturers probably think it's pointless for it.

Only thing left that LG could really add to their phones is a fingerprint scanner. Not sure where they could really place it if the back is removable and the front has thin bezels.

According to... Twitter or whatever, the Nexus 5 is out of production.

It's a shame that Google has no replacement for it. Hopefully they'll have something worthwhile next year.

Reckoner

I can't stop being a little amazed at Huawei's design for Ascend Mate 7. In person it looks so good. I hope they'll do something similar next year but with stock Android (which they probably won't).

Isn't that their 6 inch phone? I tried one yesterday and it was really difficult to manage, even after handling a Note 4 and the iPhone 6 Plus.

this_guy

Which phones are you people seeing as the ones with a good chance of becoming the best next year? Xperia Z4, OnePlus Two, Galaxy S6, LG G4?

Honestly, they will all be pretty much the same, maybe one has a slightly better camera, one has slightly better battery life, one feels better in the hand, etc. But we will each pick one and defend it while insulting each other's mothers.

Honestly, they will all be pretty much the same, maybe one has a slightly better camera, one has slightly better battery life, one feels better in the hand, etc. But we will each pick one and defend it while insulting each other's mothers.

Basically this lol. We're reaching a point where many phones can't do much hardware wise. It's going to be all software. With that said,
Sony Xperia Z4/next Moto X all the way. Maybe Nexus if Google gets its act together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom