• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeppu

I am happy to report that I've installed the Hangouts apk and it's much better than I expected. The reason I say this is that it contains a sticker which wholly encapsulates my reaction to the new Hangouts. So meta.

Callouts_Internet_Meh.png

Groof

The best messenger with stickers is obviously LINE. They got some awesome animated ones now too.

It's pretty cool hangouts is getting them though!
I'll agree to that. But Kakao is leagues ahead of LINE in the actual app department

Sch1sm

I am happy to report that I've installed the Hangouts apk and it's much better than I expected. The reason I say this is that it contains a sticker which wholly encapsulates my reaction to the new Hangouts. So meta.

Callouts_Internet_Meh.png

This was their big thing? Stickers? Wow.

Zeppu

Also, haven't iOS devices had stickers ever since hangouts was release for iOS. They've been sending me those bean emoticon images (last sticker pack) for ages.

Relatedly, "Where are you?" doesn't work. Guess it needs some cloud service to be turned on or something.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Think Facebook Messenger. Kind of like emojis, larger though, and sometimes they're animated.

I don't use FB Messenger on my phone, so that still doesn't help much! But I mean, what can they do that an emoji can't? The latter could also be larger and animated if Google felt like it. Sounds like it's pretty much a proprietary extension of emojis?

Sch1sm

I don't use FB Messenger on my phone, so that still doesn't help much! But I mean, what can they do that an emoji can't? The latter could also be larger and animated if Google felt like it. Sounds like it's pretty much a proprietary extension of emojis?

You can use the stickers on browser, as well. You're right on it being an extension of emojis. They're nothing special.

Zeppu

Look at that handsome block sitting there on a bench being all cool and whatever.

Wreav

Banned
Android Hangouts is almost caught up to iOS Hangouts. Some day, brehs.

Edit: can you swipe right from the left side of a convo to get back to the convo list?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Performance is much better. And yes, contextual message actions work. "Where are you" works.

Zeppu

Performance is much better. And yes, contextual message actions work. "Where are you" works.

I guess people outside the US don't really care about where people are then. Kinda like how we never flip coins or roll dice or want music suggestions.

j-wood

I still hate that they got rid of all the swiping actions in hangouts. That was the best part. Swiping to go back to conversation list, or swiping to archive. That needs to be brought back ASAP, this new design sucks.

Also, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GOOGLE, give me repeat notifications in messenger and hangouts. I need it for work if I get paged at 3am.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I guess people outside the US don't really care about where people are then. Kinda like how we never flip coins or roll dice or want music suggestions.
The Android GAF hangout is international and it works for everyone.

Well, I thought I fixed my lollipop issues with NY nexus 5, it worked great for like a week, but now it's back to refreshing my home screen all the damn time.

At least chrome hasn't started crashing again.

NotBacon

I think some people are getting a little over-dramatic in here...

Still LOL at the stickers and a lukewarm UI update being the "big news" though.

Wreav

Banned
I think some people are getting a little over-dramatic in here...

Still LOL at the stickers and a lukewarm UI update being the "big news" though.

G+ account said "fun news", not big news. Goobers in here reading what they want to read and getting mad when their favs aren't in the changelog.

Hasney

Doesn't really matter. The team should really know better than to release some crap like this when your app looks horrible.

Zeppu

G+ account said "fun news", not big news. Goobers in here reading what they want to read and getting mad when their favs aren't in the changelog.

Excuse me for expecting their IM, which is integrated on the web across multiple services, to be updated to conform to the design language they've been gloating about for the last six months and for expecting it to not look like complete ass on their new 4:3 aspect ratio'd tablet (or any other tablet). I don't even really care if it's in Material Design but the UX has been terrible for a while. The last update was a step back. I'd argue it has never been as functional as when it was Gtalk, with the ability to swipe between ongoing conversations.

Wreav

Banned
The move from classic mode in the browser to the new G+ look and feel was a huge step back.

The move from GTalk to Hangouts was a huge step back in terms of usability.

And here you are, expecting things to be different yet again. Isn't that the definition of insanity?

Come to iOS, Hangouts is fantastic.

Reckoner

Finally ordered a Moto X 2014 with 32gb storage, but I'm still somehow thinking that I would love the Nexus 6 and its awesome screen. Oh well, too late.

Zeppu

The move from classic mode in the browser to the new G+ look and feel was a huge step back.

And here you are, expecting things to be different yet again. Isn't that the definition of insanity?

I know. You're right. I guess I'm delusional. Hope is always the last to die.
After all the praise the messaging app got in terms of visuals I kind of expected the Hangouts team to at least come close to that.

kehs

Banned

Yeah but iOs.

:jnc:

Reckoner

Me too! I'll probably ditch it for an N6 next June when it finally hits Verizon's shelves.

The thing is that probably next June we will start to hear about a new Moto with a bigger screen, dual speakers, better camera and Snapdragon 810. And then we will buy it instead of the Nexus 6.

Nice choice. Screen on the Moto X is pretty good. It's nearly the same as the Nexus 6.

Thanks! Yeah, it seems to be a really great phone. I used one for a week and loved it, so the choice was really which Moto phone to pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom