• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Typo, I meant the 2014 2nd gen X. Is the battery as bad as the reviews have made it? I know it won't be as good as the Turbo.

The Turbo (other than design) is better than the X in every way.

Sounds more like you just aren't happy with Moto.

Sch1sm

I got it installed as well with English and Danish keyboards. Thank you so much to all of you kind people. I really appreciate it. :)

I don't regret going from iOS to Android at all. It's just so much more pleasing to my eyes and there's so many possibilities on Android. The only thing I miss from iOS are the many games like Monster Hunter, FF Tactics and such but I can deal without and just use my LG G3 primarily as a phone.

Which phones are you people seeing as the ones with a good chance of becoming the best next year? Xperia Z4, OnePlus Two, Galaxy S6, LG G4?

That's what you miss most about iOS? I miss the universality. If I had a problem on my 3GS most likely any iPhone user could offer assistance. With android there's so manydifferentiating factors between manudacturers it's a bit of a hassle to find answers.

All the phones will be eh and we'll find one or two or more reasons to say so next year. Then we'll choose the one with the least bothersome issues to be our God for the year
and subsequently shove it down everyone's throats because that's what we're good at. My bet's on the Z4 if it avoids 1440p, to be honest.

Hasney

I think a lot of us would be behind a Motorola with a decent battery life. I'd love it if they actually competed on that front.

That's the only real problem with the market at the moment, there isn't a phone that does everything. I think every flagship of last year had one big compromise.

Vanillalite

I think a lot of us would be behind a Motorola with a decent battery life. I'd love it if they actually competed on that front.

That's the only real problem with the market at the moment, there isn't a phone that does everything. I think every flagship of last year had one big compromise.

They need to fix the camera too.

That being said the camera and battery in the N6 is really good though. Just need that battery and quality camera in the other Moto devices.

Vanillalite

This is our future guys. A motog with no bezels. Shame about only being on sprint. Next year Sharp is gonna dominate the android space.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/12/sharp-aquos-crystal-a-240-smartphone-that-out-designs-most-flagships/
http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Sharp-AQUOS-Crystal-Review_id3828

Looks like garbage and functions like garbage. It's super thick. The bottom bezel is unnecessarily big because it has no top bezel. You have to flip it upside down to use the thing.

If you want to do a small bezel phone look to the G3 not this POS.

Hasney

Hasney

I totally need 8 gigs of ram to check my txts.

It helps a lot with sites that I browse because I hate mobile versions, otherwise I'd still be on an iPhone probably.

But if you just wanna check text, the Nokia 3310 is available and still indestructible.

kehs

Banned
It helps a lot with sites that I browse because I hate mobile versions, otherwise I'd still be on an iPhone probably.

But if you just wanna check text, the Nokia 3310 is available and still indestructible.

Opera works fine, but I guess you mean chrome.

Then again it is google so....

Pachimari

I wonder. If an Android phone loses the WiFi signal completely while charging (or random times, I don't know yet) is there a hardware problem or does it have to do with my setup?

Girlfriend just bought an Alcatel One Touch Scripe HD and it have lost the WiFi signal twice already. It reconnects every time I unplug and start up my router again.

Vanillalite

Love my G3. A couple of weeks in an no complaints.

Battery lasts me all day, I get much better reception than my old phone, and I get much more stable LTE data connection. Plus the camera is good enough for me for now.

Fuck I wish my N7 had knock on. I forget that it doesn't. LOL

Sch1sm

Love my G3. A couple of weeks in an no complaints.

Battery lasts me all day, I get much better reception than my old phone, and I get much more stable LTE data connection. Plus the camera is good enough for me for now.

Fuck I wish my N7 had knock on. I forget that it doesn't. LOL

My brother has a G2 and every time he tries to get into my screen he tries that feature. The look of disappointment is all kinds of priceless.

malyce

My brother has a G2 and every time he tries to get into my screen he tries that feature. The look of disappointment is all kinds of priceless.

Got an iPhone 6 a few days ago and I keep double tapping the screen to wake it. It just feels so natural. I weep for you power and home button users.

Anyone else on the tempered glass screen protector wave? So nice on the iPhone, I'm tempted to get one for my G2.

Vanillalite

Yes we purged to a new hangout per user request from another hangouter.

If you missed the transition just PM one of us for an invite.

If you want into the Android GAF hangout all are welcome. Just shoot me a GAF PM and I'll invite you! It's a ton of fun!

th3dude

Anyone else having issues with vibrate being always on for Hangouts notifications in the latest update?

I keep turning it off but it keeps vibrating. Reverting to the old version fixes it but the play store keeps updating it back to the broken version.

Anyone else having issues with vibrate being always on for Hangouts notifications in the latest update?

I keep turning it off but it keeps vibrating. Reverting to the old version fixes it but the play store keeps updating it back to the broken version.

I do not have this issue.

On the topic of Hangouts, I really dislike the new dark green shade :/

Vanillalite

No problem here and I'd know with this crew spamming. LoL

I was just using Chrome remote desktop on my phone and got a text message. I read the message on a pushbullet pop-up on my remote desktop without realizing what I was doing...

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this but I'm relatively new to the Android ecosystem; I've dabbled with phones, tablets, and various other devices like an Ouya but never to a serious level. I recently came into possession of a Galaxy Tab 10.1 that I'd like to use with Plex to stream videos when I work out; I'd previously been doing this with a Wii U and the Plex Web interface to great success. That system had no trouble playing high bitrate 1080p video without transcoding, though it would often lag behind if the video was also 60fps. Since I got the tablet I figured it would be a better solution, it features a bigger and better screen after all... though not by much. Anyway, the device is pretty old and underpowered, and videos using the Plex app are a stuttery mess at native all the way down to 720p. If I set Plex to 480p / 2 megabits they play relatively smoothly, but they look pretty awful. Samsung stopped supporting the tablet at 4.0.4 so I figured I might be able to eek out more performance (or overclock) with something like Cyanogen / what have you. HOWEVER, here's the rub: the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is a South Korean model: SHW-M380W and the ROM support, at least to my "relatively new to the ecoystem self," is woeful. Does anyone have tips on what I can do to get a cleaner / better ROM on the tablet? Or Plex tips? I realize it's really long in the tooth at this point and probably not worth the effort, but it surely must be able to at least do 720p video without choking, right?

wait... so Action Launcher 3 isn't a free upgrade... but it replaces Action Launcher 2 so if you want to keep the pro version you paid for, you have to download a newly uploaded and wholly separate Action Launcher 2?

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this but I'm relatively new to the Android ecosystem; I've dabbled with phones, tablets, and various other devices like an Ouya but never to a serious level. I recently came into possession of a Galaxy Tab 10.1 that I'd like to use with Plex to stream videos when I work out; I'd previously been doing this with a Wii U and the Plex Web interface to great success. That system had no trouble playing high bitrate 1080p video without transcoding, though it would often lag behind if the video was also 60fps. Since I got the tablet I figured it would be a better solution, it features a bigger and better screen after all... though not by much. Anyway, the device is pretty old and underpowered, and videos using the Plex app are a stuttery mess at native all the way down to 720p. If I set Plex to 480p / 2 megabits they play relatively smoothly, but they look pretty awful. Samsung stopped supporting the tablet at 4.0.4 so I figured I might be able to eek out more performance (or overclock) with something like Cyanogen / what have you. HOWEVER, here's the rub: the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is a South Korean model: SHW-M380W and the ROM support, at least to my "relatively new to the ecoystem self," is woeful. Does anyone have tips on what I can do to get a cleaner / better ROM on the tablet? Or Plex tips? I realize it's really long in the tooth at this point and probably not worth the effort, but it surely must be able to at least do 720p video without choking, right?

Plex is not the most efficient app on android. I've seen it struggle hard on less than steller hardware and the old Samsung tabs are pretty bad with performance.

My 2013 moto x and nexus 9 handle Plex very well but those devices are pretty good performers.

that Tablet is almost 4 years old, and Tegra 2 was trash even back then. it's ot worth the effort.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
wait... so Action Launcher 3 isn't a free upgrade... but it replaces Action Launcher 2 so if you want to keep the pro version you paid for, you have to download a newly uploaded and wholly separate Action Launcher 2?
Yeah. He wanted the exposure and publicity. Jerk move.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Got an iPhone 6 a few days ago and I keep double tapping the screen to wake it. It just feels so natural. I weep for you power and home button users.

That's why I really like my Quick Cover. Protects the phone, and automatically wakes and puts it to sleep when I open and close the lid. No power button wear here!

vdlow

Actually the Pro Key of Action Launcher 2, which you probable already had installed, became the full launcher. And the "free version" of the app became Action Launcher 3, which has an in-app purchase.

Confusing.

And I'm not against developers charging for big, meaningful updates which changes the whole feeling of the app. But Action Launcher 3 basically has that Quick Theme thing and material design, and lost a lot of the features of the previous version, including icon packs support.

I know Chris Lacy already told on G+ that some of these features are coming back, but now I don't really feel like it's a worthy upgrade.

terrier

anyone with LG G3 here? vodafone spain just announced that Lollipop is already available so i guess other carriers and unlocked will follow shortly after

I guess LG has improved since they where quite slow with updates in the past

Vanillalite

It's the exact same deal we had with Talon. Was bullshit then, and it's bullshit now.

j-wood

Per Twitter:

Droid Life retweeted
Joel Hardman ‏@hardguy64 2h2 hours ago
@droid_life looks like volte is rolling out to all turbos. Just downloaded and installed!

Vanillalite

So the LTE Nexus 9 is $600 from T-Mo and they only have a 32 gig black version to sell.

With Talon the developer ran out of tokens (thanks Twitter!) and had to make a new app. He still updated the old app though.

He pushed minor bug fixes, but no they refuse to update the old app to the new design language. It's what that company always does, and why I won't buy their stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom