• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember, plastic is always inherently inferior to metal and you should always base your phone purchasing decision on this one material.

Also Samsung uses inherently inferior plastic compared to other manufacturers. Don't be fooled by SamStic, also called S-Plastic! It's actually Styrofoam disguised as plastic!

i KNEW i should have trademarked that!

Spinluck

When you go above the minutes on that plan additional minutes are charged at $0.10/minute, so adding an extra $10 to your account balance every month gives you the ability to use double the amount of minutes, and if you happen to not use all of the extra balance it just carries over. I just make sure I have a running $40 balance in my account every month when it renews. If I didn't go over my minutes the previous month I just need to add $30, if I used it all I add $40.

Thanks, appreciate the response.

Samsung Galaxy F

cHwowo4.png

omg, they're finally using fake metal!!11111

In another episode of "just how fucked are HTC?" we look at the M7 vs M8 revenues.

Last year we thought it was as bad as it could possibly get, yes? Well we were wrong. After two months of beating the drop, YoY revenue is now trending downward again.

http://investors.htc.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=148697&p=irol-reportsMonthlyRevenues

YoY May revenues are down 27%, now that is mainly because the launches are not aligned with the M7 delayed into late April and the M8 launching on time. Let's look at a fair comparison then, March to May revenue:

2013 - 64.5bn NT$
2014 - 59.4bn NT$

YoY revenue including both launch periods and post launch sales for the M8 (giving it an advantage) show that 2014 revenue is down by 7.9%. In the same key period in 2012 HTC recorded 92bn NT$ in revenue and in 2011 (their peak year) they recorded 116bn NT$ in revenue.

The M8 has been lauded by many reviewers as the top Android phone, above the S5 and Z2. Yet there has been no upturn in their finances only in favourable months like April was there any sort of rise.

The One Mini 2 is also going to fail. It is in the same price category as the Z1C, which is doing very well. The former is weaker in every single area and it costs the same amount of money. One would need to have an aluminium fetish to buy the OM2 over the Z1C...

After this I really don't see where HTC go. There is not much chance they will realise the 30% revenue improvement they touted at the beginning of the year to investors.

terrier

In another episode of "just how fucked are HTC?" we look at the M7 vs M8 revenues.

Last year we thought it was as bad as it could possibly get, yes? Well we were wrong. After two months of beating the drop, YoY revenue is now trending downward again.

http://investors.htc.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=148697&p=irol-reportsMonthlyRevenues

YoY May revenues are down 27%, now that is mainly because the launches are not aligned with the M7 delayed into late April and the M8 launching on time. Let's look at a fair comparison then, March to May revenue:

2013 - 64.5bn NT$
2014 - 59.4bn NT$

YoY revenue including both launch periods and post launch sales for the M8 (giving it an advantage) show that 2014 revenue is down by 7.9%. In the same key period in 2012 HTC recorded 92bn NT$ in revenue and in 2011 (their peak year) they recorded 116bn NT$ in revenue.

The M8 has been lauded by many reviewers as the top Android phone, above the S5 and Z2. Yet there has been no upturn in their finances only in favourable months like April was there any sort of rise.

The One Mini 2 is also going to fail. It is in the same price category as the Z1C, which is doing very well. The former is weaker in every single area and it costs the same amount of money. One would need to have an aluminium fetish to buy the OM2 over the Z1C...

After this I really don't see where HTC go. There is not much chance they will realise the 30% revenue improvement they touted at the beginning of the year to investors.

wow, they need to change a few things, go more mainstream. Just look at LG: Just read that LG G3 sales in Korea have been 3 times better than what Galaxy S5 sold.....

Cipherr

wow, they need to change a few things, go more mainstream. Just look at LG: Just read that LG G3 sales in Korea have been 3 times better than what Galaxy S5 sold.....

Yeah I read that too, I was sort of surprised, LG is fucking killing it while HTC struggles to figure shit out.

/shrug Shouldn't have fucked around for 3.5 years straight crapping out shitty devices and refusing to update/support them. Lost all consumer trust. Years back I was just starting to maybe care about them again, but they dropped updates on the HTC OneX (IIRC) and I was just like..... whelp...

That OneX was supposed to be their turning point. They were gonna stop shitting out tons of phones, start updating them and start caring about their phone design. They have stepped their phone design up a lot. But they haven't delivered on the other too. Isnt there another fucking One version coming out in a few months or something? lol.

terrier

Yeah I read that too, I was sort of surprised, LG is fucking killing it while HTC struggles to figure shit out.

/shrug Shouldn't have fucked around for 3.5 years straight crapping out shitty devices and refusing to update/support them. Lost all consumer trust. Years back I was just starting to maybe care about them again, but they dropped updates on the HTC OneX (IIRC) and I was just like..... whelp...

That OneX was supposed to be their turning point. They were gonna stop shitting out tons of phones, start updating them and start caring about their phone design. They have stepped their phone design up a lot. But they haven't delivered on the other too. Isnt there another fucking One version coming out in a few months or something? lol.

i think they should not try to be the premium' android phone, the alternative to iphone on android. They build quality devices, no doubt, but they should aim a wider audience, sony has done well with Z series, premium feel , waterproof that is a atractive feature for many people. LG too doing well, affordable, big screens.... while M7 and M8 have smaller (and narrower) screens than its rivals (4.7 vs 5 and 5 vs 5.2/5.5) and their best feature, speakers, is something many don't seem to care (or know).

Also lack of updates for One X was a bad thing to happen. Their midrange devices are also nice, but overpriced compared to LG or motorola

Nicktendo86

A real shame as HTC are putting out nice phones, but there is noting really special I suppose? The shit camera never helps...

Maybe they need to concentrate less on high end and more on low end? Could that get them some much needed revenue?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The first few shots are very blurry. These pics are disappointing, android oem's need to step their imaging game up big time to rival Apple and Nokia.

to be fair, I was using the "touch to focus", rather than the on-screen camera button to take the pics. My hand is unstable while using the former.

terrier

A real shame as HTC are putting out nice phones, but there is noting really special I suppose? The shit camera never helps...

Maybe they need to concentrate less on high end and more on low end? Could that get them some much needed revenue?

Premium has limited audience, and there apple has the lead. HIgh end with decent princing and specs, just like LG, or even sony i guess it would be the sweet spot: latest soc, decent camera, big screen that's it imo.

My phone just broke (HTC evo 3d/4g). I need a new one that works on virgin mobile USA. I'm thinking about the Galaxy S3. Is that still a good/decent phone?

I'm just looking for some friendly advice.

Is there any difference in the physical size between Nexus 7 2012 and 2013? I want the Nexus 7 Folio they're selling on the play devices store (this thing) but it says it's for the Nexus 7 2013 model and I have the 2012 model.

Groof

My phone just broke (HTC evo 3d/4g). I need a new one that works on virgin mobile USA. I'm thinking about the Galaxy S3. Is that still a good/decent phone?

I'm just looking for some friendly advice.
Don't know if it works with virgin mobile but Moto G should be your first choice in any case imho. Someone else should be able to answer the carrier issue

Husker86

Is there any difference in the physical size between Nexus 7 2012 and 2013? I want the Nexus 7 Folio they're selling on the play devices store (this thing) but it says it's for the Nexus 7 2013 model and I have the 2012 model.
Yeah, the 2013 is slightly taller and narrower I believe. You can check the Play Store for exact dimensions.

$20 will be pretty low tier.

Verizon Moto G is $50 @ BestBuy this week.

thank you both. I spent some time researching the moto g last night and also arguing with myself over not spending the money, which I really shouldn't be spending right now. Last night I had the thought, why get an android phone just to mess with? I should just upgrade to an android phone, use it as my regular phone and play with that one. I want to use the GameKlip and Dualshock 3 controller, so I'll probably lean towards a phone that naturally supports the usb plug which they say is more responsive than the bluetooth connection

VoxPop

To be fair, I was in Korea back in November and the only phones they sell are Samsung, LG and obscure Korean brands. Literally everyone has a Samsung and LG device with the occasional iPhone. They don't even know what HTC is nor does HTC even have a Korean keyboard option. I brought my M7 there and when the person at the airport was changing my SIM, they had no idea what phone I had. Hell, Apple isn't even allowed to make an Apple store down there and basically its a bunch of 3rd party stores that look like a poor man's Apple store. Samsung literally runs that country. Most if not all the electronics and appliances I saw were Samsung. Hell, I even saw a person get hit by a Samsung car.

ArchAngel

I have a problem with the PlayStore. I can't update the Google Camera app for the store. It downloads the App, installs it (the new version is installed) and then it shows me just the DL button - as if it's not installed. No Open/Uninstall buttons.
Other apps work normally. Cleared cache und uninstalled the camera updates, but the problem is still there. Any idea how to fix that?

I'd wait 3 weeks for anything at I/O...

I'm not going to replace my perfectly working Nexus 7 2012 with anything, but if they give me a Nexus 10 update then I really want that. Nexus 10 has never been officially available here in Finland, the only way to get it is to pay stupidly high prices to reselling retailers.

I'll just wait and see.

VoxPop

Throw an Apple logo and it would be a 9...

How that giant "Apple is even better than before" article on the front over the G3...

you keep telling yourself that

If Google dropped Android 5.0 and a new version of ChromeOS (lol), you don't think it'd get top billing over the G3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom