• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
you keep telling yourself that

If Google dropped Android 5.0 and a new version of ChromeOS (lol), you don't think it'd get top billing over the G3?

It wasn't an article about a new OS or a new feature specifically. It was about Apple as a whole, and nothing groundbreaking other than a big article on gathering your own thoughts.

But you'd be okay if it was a Google article, right?

No, no I wouldn't. Because for the most part, those kind of articles don't matter too much. The reviews matter more in the long run, especially for those that want to keep themselves up to date on phones and wondering what they should buy next.

VoxPop

No, no I wouldn't. Because for the most part, those kind of articles don't matter too much. The reviews matter more in the long run, especially for those that want to keep themselves up to date on phones and wondering what they should buy next.

You do realize the link to the article is still there next to all the other articles on the front page and is on the very top of the reviews section? You talk as if it's impossible to find. If the phone deserved a 9, it would get a 9. I doubt Apple has anything to do with it.

reKon

Banned
I want the TheVerge to give the 4.7 and 5.5 inch iPhones with iOS8 a 9.8+ just to see the chaos. That would provide good entertainment.

Toki767

Why? There are tons of Android exclusive apps just as there are a lot of ios specific ones. You don't see things like cover, aviate, etc on ios. They are just now getting third party keyboards.

Because iOS always gets a 10 for ecosystem even though, as you said, they don't have a lot of apps that Android has.

Ocho

What's wrong with knocking off points for a phone being too big?

Because for some, that's a plus. I understand reviews are subjective, and I'm fine with the reviewer's opinion, but it appears no one on The Verge prefers big, non one hand use, phones.

I wouldn't say reviews matter more.

CronoShot

Samsung Galaxy F

cHwowo4.png

omg, they're finally using fake metal!!11111

Actually looks pretty nice to me. Guess there's no pleasing folks when it comes to Samsung.

The Verge said:
With a resolution of 2,560 x 1,440, it’s only matched by a pair of phones for the Chinese market — the Vivo Xplay 3S and Oppo Find 7 — and comfortably outdoes its 1080p global competitors. I love this as a technical achievement and the G3 renders everything beautifully, but I cannot discern any advantage from the extra pixels. The only time I notice them is when I look at the resolution of screenshots from the G3.

Figures.

asdad123

Anyone have problems with a Nexus 4 sound not working after a factory reset?

I just sold my Nexus 4 on here to another member, and they are telling me the sound does not work at all, Neither through the speaker nor headphones. It was working perfectly for me before I shipped it out as I listened to pandora on it every day.

Could this just be a simple software bug, or could it have been damaged in shipping?

Ambient80

Because iOS always gets a 10 for ecosystem even though, as you said, they don't have a lot of apps that Android has.

In their defense, they've said time and time again that their ecosystem score is not based solely on apps, but also takes into account third party accessories like speakers, charging docks, cases, etc. IOS has a lot of apps that Android doesn't and vice versa, but iOS devices have way more first and third party accessories than Android handsets have, and it's not even close.

This is also why they give the Surface a lower ecosystem score. I think the SP3 got an 8 on its review for ecosystem. Sure it has every windows program ever that you can install, but the amount of first and third party accessories you can get for it is dwarfed even by a popular android tablet, and basically zero compared to an iPad.

Personally I'd rather they split the two up to avoid this confusion.

Toki767

In their defense, they've said time and time again that their ecosystem score is not based solely on apps, but also takes into account third party accessories like speakers, charging docks, cases, etc. IOS has a lot of apps that Android doesn't and vice versa, but iOS devices have way more first and third party accessories than Android handsets have, and it's not even close.

This is also why they give the Surface a lower ecosystem score. I think the SP3 got an 8 on its review for ecosystem. Sure it has every windows program ever that you can install, but the amount of first and third party accessories you can get for it is dwarfed even by a popular android tablet, and basically zero compared to an iPad.

Personally I'd rather they split the two up to avoid this confusion.

That seems like a bunch of crap to be honest. They mention no accessories at all in their G3 review even though things are out for it.

Husker86

You guys that say The Verge has a bias against Android realize that all of the mobile-oriented staffers of the Verge are Android users, right? The mobile podcast (maybe that newish guy that joined sometime last year was an iPhone user) hosts all used Android mainly, though they obviously had iPhones as well.

Apple's latest keynote DID show a huge shift for the company. The Verge isn't a reviews site, it's a tech news site.

Cipherr

1.7 seems like a ton off for a phone where its so strong that the only thing you knock off for is "Too big for my taste" and "Uses plastic instead of aluminum".

You guys that say The Verge has a bias against Android realize that all of the mobile-oriented staffers of the Verge are Android users, right?

I would criticize Larry Page for docking 1.7 from a review because of a material and size only.

Toki767

You guys that say The Verge has a bias against Android realize that all of the mobile-oriented staffers of the Verge are Android users, right? The mobile podcast (maybe that newish guy that joined sometime last year was an iPhone user) hosts all used Android mainly, though they obviously had iPhones as well.

Apple's latest keynote DID show a huge shift for the company. The Verge isn't a reviews site, it's a tech news site.

I don't think they have a bias against Android in general. I just think their scoring doesn't reflect the context of their review.

Ambient80

That seems like a bunch of crap to be honest. They mention no accessories at all in their G3 review even though things are out for it.

Dunno what to say. Topolsky has said that numerous times, especially to the rabid WP psychos on that site who have literally given him death threats for low scores (notice he doesn't review those any more). Ecosystem is a category that includes apps and first/third party accessories, and probably one or two other things that I forgot but those were the major ones.

Edit: I'll say I usually like their reviews ok. However I don't base my purchasing decision on them very much. I leave that mainly up to reviews from real life friends and from Anandtech's reviews, which are god tier. Can't wait to see their review of the G3.

Toki767

Dunno what to say. Topolsky has said that numerous times, especially to the rabid WP psychos on that site who have literally given him death threats for low scores (notice he doesn't review those any more). Ecosystem is a category that includes apps and first/third party accessories, and probably one or two other things that I forgot but those were the major ones.

Edit: I'll say I usually like their reviews ok. However I don't base my purchasing decision on them very much. I leave that mainly up to reviews from real life friends and from Anandtech's reviews, which are god tier. Can't wait to see their review of the G3.

I don't know...it's not even about the Ecosystem score for me. I'll easily admit if they could accessories, no phone is going to have more third party accessories than the iPhone. But the diclaimer they put in their overall breakdown is kind of stupid.

lUixY2r.png

They normally average scores unless it doesn't fit with what they think it should be. The average for the G3 score should be like an 8.6. But because it's debatably too big and made of plastic they weigh the design score more than everything else to drag it down to an 8.3 overall. They're basically weighing their non-weighted average even though they say it's meant to be a non-weighted average. They may as well not put an overall score and just leave everything based on the components.

For reference: The G3 has a total score of 69/80. The iPhone 5C also has a total score of 69/80 but their overall score is 8.5. The iPhone 5S has a total score of 70/80 and their overall score is 8.8. The HTC One M8 has a total score of 67/80 and their overall score is 8.5.

Shit just doesn't add up in more ways than one.

Nicktendo86

I just do not understand how points could be docked for size. Surely they should review it for what it is? Would they dock points from the note for being too big? IPhones are too small for many, should points be deducted for that? They gave top marks for screen, but part of the great experience is the large screen, which is the principle factor of the size of the device.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Can we get more G3 impressions? Was wondering if you got the 2GB RAM model or the 3GB RAM model.

Also how much was it to get it from Korea?
Ah yes. I'm typing on it now. More impressions:

* I'm on the 3GB/32GB model
* It was about ~700 through ebay
* the keyboard is about as good as Google keyboard - it's accurate and quite fast
* the buttons on the back are actually comfortable now...you don't have to struggle to find the power button
* LG's "smart notifications" aren't too bright at all...Google now is better

Groof

Hangouts update and still no stickers. Where are my stickers, Googy???!!!

At least we finally got an update for the Korean keyboard so it's up to snuff. Doesn't feel like I'm using something from early ICS era.

Cipherr

They normally average scores unless it doesn't fit with what they think it should be. The average for the G3 score should be like an 8.6. But because it's debatably too big and made of plastic they weigh the design score more than everything else to drag it down to an 8.3 overall. They're basically weighing their non-weighted average even though they say it's meant to be a non-weighted average. They may as well not put an overall score and just leave everything based on the components.

For reference: The G3 has a total score of 69/80. The iPhone 5C also has a total score of 69/80 but their overall score is 8.5. The iPhone 5S has a total score of 70/80 and their overall score is 8.8. The HTC One M8 has a total score of 67/80 and their overall score is 8.5.

Shit just doesn't add up in more ways than one.

It's probably better if they drop the number scoring. Its been pretty bad from the beginning. Not gonna happen though, it drives conversation (see this thread atm) but its never been consistent at all. I'm happy with the review though it is clearly a good phone.

Toki767

* the keyboard is about as good as Google keyboard - it's accurate and quite fast
* the buttons on the back are actually comfortable now...you don't have to struggle to find the power button

Ah, $700 might be a bit pricy for me. Hopefully the US prices are a little cheaper.

I'm actually surprised that the stock keyboard is good. I always install the Google keyboard since it seems to load faster than Swype and Swiftkey for some reason. I do like the idea of having the number row at the top instead of long pressing though.

No surprise about the "smart notifications" thing. Is that what the G panel of the launcher is?

Worth it over the Z2?

Toki767

Hangouts update and still no stickers. Where are my stickers, Googy???!!!

At least we finally got an update for the Korean keyboard so it's up to snuff. Doesn't feel like I'm using something from early ICS era.

I wish Google would just add quick reply to Hangouts. They seem so against it in all their messaging apps.

Ambient80

Will the 3GB/32GB model be sold in the States, or do we need to order from a different area to get that version?

I've been debating between the S5 and the One (M8) for weeks now and my 2.5yo Galaxy Nexus gets about 2 hours on a full battery. Touchwiz looks like crap but I'm afraid of being stuck with an unsatisfying camera for two years. Someone decide for me.

the metal on the M8 was actually disappointing to me when I really held it. I thought it would feel better than that. In contrast to that, I actually like the plastic they used for the S5s back, so I got that a couple weeks ago. My phone spends most of its time in a case though, so it doesn't really matter. Touchwiz isn't the best, but I don't mind it nearly as much as all of the Samsung haters here lol

overall I like the S5 a lot compared to my IPhone 4 before this, but YMMV

G3 looks nice, but too big IMO

iavi

G3 looks nice, but too big IMO

Because of the bezels, the G3's really only about as big in the hand as many of the 5inchers such as the N5 or M8. I was ready to write it off because of it's size until I read that. LG with the design win.

Anything bigger in the hand than the N5 (which already straddles the line of being too big) is a no-go for me. And I've got massive hands.

Massa

IMO reviews on The Verge are about as useful as user reviews on Amazon or Newegg. I prefer what AnandTech and NotebookCheck do, which is to actually write an in depth technical review of the tech product in question, not muse about marketing or ecosystems or some other nonsense.

iavi

IMO reviews on The Verge are about as useful as user reviews on Amazon or Newegg. I prefer what AnandTech and NotebookCheck do, which is to actually write an in depth technical review of the tech product in question, not muse about marketing or ecosystems or some other nonsense.

Yeah, Anandtech is the only techsite who's reviews I'll fuck with.

I want the TheVerge to give the 4.7 and 5.5 inch iPhones with iOS8 a 9.8+ just to see the chaos. That would provide good entertainment.

Joke scoring or not, one thing’s for certain. The new sizes will be highlighted as a positive for Apple, to be celebrated in one way or another as opposed to how it’s been used as a grievance and bashing point on Android. Just you watch the sudden change of tune when the time comes

Ambient80

The only Android phones I see getting bashed for their size are the ones that are the same as the G3 or larger (Note, Z Ultra, One Max or whatever). I've not seen a review about a 4.7" Android device that got busted for being too large. Also several reviewers have bashed the iPhone for being too small, even the 5/5s. I'm sure you can catch me in a "Gotcha!" moment with a link saying otherwise, but I'd reckon that's overall fairly correct.

Blackhead

Redarse
The only Android phones I see getting bashed for their size are the ones that are the same as the G3 or larger (Note, Z Ultra, One Max or whatever). I've not seen a review about a 4.7" Android device that got busted for being too large. Also several reviewers have bashed the iPhone for being too small, even the 5/5s. I'm sure you can catch me in a "Gotcha!" moment with a link saying otherwise, but I'd reckon that's overall fairly correct.

The new HTC One review
The Verge said:
Bad Stuff

Big, a little chunky
Xperia Z2
The Verge said:
Bad Stuff

Smaller would have been better

kehs

Banned
I was looking up the verge's motox review to see if they did the same thing about the size (they didn't), and came across this gem:

If Motorola ends up producing a Google Play Edition of this phone that retains the customizable hardware and software additions like Assist and Active Notifications

wat? That's literally what Moto has done with their software, and that known back then.

Like Jigolo says above, lol verge reviews.

Blackhead

Redarse
I prefer The Verge's reviews to Anandtech's. Anand can be overly technical and get lost in the details and miss the whole picture. At some point after reading three pages of poetic praise for the beauty of a new processor I get bored. I find reviews of ecosystems and 'feel' of the product to be ultimately more useful to me in the end.

I do wish The Verge was more rigorous in their criteria. If they write a device is too big then they should have a standard set of hands, pair of jeans and a test app demonstration to show what they mean. If they feel the GS5 has "overwhelming features and options" then they should list the offending features all out, show how the features interfere with regular usage (and hold themselves to the same standard when another OS is announced with '200 new features'). Get a trained UX designer and compare the best apps on each platform when evaluating ecosystems etc

Nobody cares to put that much effort into proper reviews unfortunately (Lisa Glade at MobileTech is decent)

kehs

Banned
I prefer The Verge's reviews to Anandtech's. Anand can be overly technical and get lost in the details and miss the whole picture. At some point after reading three pages of poetic praise for the beauty of a new processor I get bored. I find reviews of ecosystems and 'feel' of the product to be ultimately more useful to me in the end.

I do wish The Verge was more rigorous in their criteria. If they write a device is too big then they should have a standard set of hands, pair of jeans and a test app demonstration to show what they mean. If they feel the GS5 has "overwhelming features and options" then they should list the offending features all out, show how the features interfere with regular usage (and hold themselves to the same standard when another OS is announced with '200 new features'). Get a trained UX designer and compare the best apps on each platform when evaluating ecosystems etc

Nobody cares to put that much effort into proper reviews unfortunately (Lisa Glade at MobileTech is decent)

That's why you read only the intro, conclusion, and whatever section your interested in(like display) page of their reviews.

Unless you're giga.

Because of the bezels, the G3's really only about as big in the hand as many of the 5inchers such as the N5 or M8. I was ready to write it off because of it's size until I read that. LG with the design win.

Anything bigger in the hand than the N5 (which already straddles the line of being too big) is a no-go for me. And I've got massive hands.

The G3 is much bigger than the N5. I personally don't want anything bigger than the N5 and it looks like every single manufacturer has gone past it already. Doubt I'll get another Android phone at this point. My friend has the S5 and you can't even swipe open the side drawers without shifting the phone around or using 2 hands.

The Moto X is still my favourite in terms of size and design. I will probably be getting the 4.7" iPhone as my next phone.

HawkeyeIC

The G3 is much bigger than the N5. I personally don't want anything bigger than the N5 and it looks like every single manufacturer has gone past it already. Doubt I'll get another Android phone at this point. My friend has the S5 and you can't even swipe open the side drawers without shifting the phone around or using 2 hands.

The Moto X is still my favourite in terms of size and design. I will probably be getting the 4.7" iPhone as my next phone.

Moto is really my only hope at this point. Otherwise (unfortunately), I might be making the switch to Apple next year as well. 4.7 is plenty big, and all the "mini" versions of the flagships suck.

reKon

Banned
Moto is really my only hope at this point. Otherwise (unfortunately), I might be making the switch to Apple next year as well. 4.7 is plenty big, and all the "mini" versions of the flagships suck.

It's so fucking annoying. The Moto X+1 is really our only hope. It's doubtful that the Z2 Compact will come to the states so I'll probably have to grab it off amazon. I really don't want to go anything bigger than the HTC One. None of the manufacturers get it. I understand that it's cheap to produce these Mini versions of the flagships, but they aren't evening selling that well. I wish they'd cut the bullshit and stop being naive.

that's bullshit.

user reviews on Amazon and Newegg are much better than TIMN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom