• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotBacon

So, for christmas I got a secondhand Moto X (2013) from a site. It's a dev or press edition of the Moto X and when I plugged it into to charge it popped up that it has an unlocked bootloader.

I'm on Verizon and unlocked my Galaxy S3 a year or so ago, but I'm so rusty on the whole shebang, I'm curious where to go from here.

I haven't fully booted the phone yet to transfer/activate yet, but is there anything I need to do beforehand? What's the custom booting "scene" look like now. Should I bother, or is (what I hope is) stock Moto X experience good enough?

Just use it.
Try to stick to Google apps when possible, don't download battery savers, antivirus, junk apps, etc., and enjoy lollipop when you get it in a couple weeks.

Sykotik

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I'm in the market for a budget Android tablet, for less than $200 USD. This is mainly just going to be used for browsing with some interest in gaming.

I've been looking at the Asus ME176CX for $120. Is this tablet recommended?

Any advice is welcome.

aznpxdd

I'm having a huge problem with Google play services being awake literally the whole time my phone is on. I've already turned all syncing off, and its still wakelocking the shit out of my phone. What do I do? Its a Galaxy Note 4 running 4.4.4 BTW.

Gambit61

I'm 5" 8' and I can use the Note 4 one-handed. I don't wrap my entire hand around it though, I'll let gravity do the work lol I keep my fingers around the centre, closer to the right and from there I can reach anywhere on screen with my thumb.

I'm 5'8" and do the same on my Note 2. It helps that my case has a ton of ridges which makes it easier to prevent slipping.

Husker86

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I'm in the market for a budget Android tablet, for less than $200 USD. This is mainly just going to be used for browsing with some interest in gaming.

Any advice is welcome.

Find a 2013 Nexus 7 on eBay or something. I found one for my Mom to get my Nephew for $150. Has twice the RAM as that Asus. Also unsure of the performance of the Intel CPUs on Android tablets.

Any advice is welcome.

Tab Pro 8.4 is $230 @ Best Buy and you can get a 10% off single item coupon from the USPS change of address packet.

Majine

Banned
Pocket Casts is constantly stopping podcasts played in the background when I'm in other apps. Not sure what to do here, but it is infuriating.

Enco

That doesn't count, though. But I think you have the right attitude with the 5.5" comment. I say just give it a shot. Don't let what you think is your maximum screen size deter you. Lots of us former "small" screen users were once there.
Problem is the N6 is nowhere to be found in UK stores and I don't want to spend £499 on a phone, end up not liking it and then go through the hassle of sending it back.

Hasney

If I shove stock Android on it, is there a better 7" tablet than the Fire HDX at £99 right now? I'm guessing not, all I really want is a Hearthstone machine with a side-order of XCOM.

Enco

To be fair, the Nexus 6 is no where to be found anywhere.
:lol

So Motorola have £50 off on their store with a promo code. Might bite on the Moto G2 today.

I know it's not the best but I just want a taster of a bigger screen and new system. My 5S will remain my daily driver but this could be cool.

edit: ordered. Time to experience Android. Only weary about the 8GB space and 1GB RAM but I'm sure I'll take that into account when forming my opinion

kIdMuScLe

Anyone know where I can get a good lcd replacement screen for moto g? I want to replace the screen since it is completely shattered and I want to keep it as a backup. Thanks ;-)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If I shove stock Android on it, is there a better 7" tablet than the Fire HDX at £99 right now? I'm guessing not, all I really want is a Hearthstone machine with a side-order of XCOM.

To be honest X and Hearth are both on Amazon so you wouldn't even to flash.

It's a killer deal even stock at that price.

Hasney

To be honest X and Hearth are both on Amazon so you wouldn't even to flash.

It's a killer deal even stock at that price.

Sweet, cheers I'll grab it. Been searching about and I'll have to at least root to get Play Store on for all my apps. £120 for the 32gb is too hard to pass up.

markot

Banned
Samsung is probably legit shook by Xiaomi. Those mofos are stealing their candy and there's no stop in sight. Not that I care.

Tizen will save them.

I doubt Samsung cares too much about the lower end, the profits arent great, but its their higher end that has been disappointing as of late.

Tizen will save them.

I doubt Samsung cares too much about the lower end, the profits arent great, but its their higher end that has been disappointing as of late.
that's the problem, Android is straight up losing the high end game, it's disappearing and at a pretty fast rate. The low end is the future of android, and I don't mean low end phones I just mean low prices. That's a war samsung can't really win because they have too much overhead compared to a company like one plus or xiaomi or zte or whatever. Those companies will be the future of android of things keep up with this trajectory. Moto has been the only one playing the right game so far for the most part but not even they're doing well.

Ah well. I welcome the lower priced chinese overlords. Samsung is either gonna have to get real innovative and capture the minds of the high end market or they're done. Something tells me they can't do it lol.

linkboy

Any advice is welcome.

I second what Husker86 said, go with a Nexus 7 (2013). It's still the best tablet for the price.

I picked mine up a few months ago and I still love it.

Is the swype keyboard on the Note Edge poor in comparison to the one used in Windows Phone? Feel like it makes far more mistakes in terms of what I'm trying to write in comparison, although it could just be the difference in screen size.

Hasney

So after looking into all the custom ROM options available on XDA for a Kindle Fire 7 HDX, the best I can do is 4.2 and even then it's a bit of a wonky hybrid. For anyone who got one, anything that's badly missed coming from the Google Play world?

Might try keeping it stock for a while and see how it goes, but I keep thinking I'll miss something with it not being in the same ecosystem as my phone.

As someone who has used an iphone + android phone at the same time as well as an iphone + other android devices right now, you know what bugs me. Why is battery life so inconsistent with Android. With my iphone/ipad I can lay down in bed and browse the web every night for a week and the battery will be good and totally predictable. Meanwhile I can do that with any of my android devices (including nexus 9) and it will be totally random. Some days it will go down whatever percent and nothers a staggering 20% doing nothing but browsing the web as normal.

I think I dislike this more than I dislike small batteries. At least with devices like the nexus 5 you knew it was getting shitty battery life mostly because the battery was too small for that screen size but also because of the inconsistency/optimization. Bigger batteries are easy to put in phones but google really needs to get on the whole optimization thing. It's like a constant battle whereas with the apple devices there is no battle it just is.

And people saying they have great battery life with 2800+mah batteries in their phones, drowning the problem isn't solving it. Imagine what you'd be getting if they fixed the inconsistencies!

/rant

I thought project volta was gonna do that but apparently not?

Project Volta only works for the 2014 Moto X. All other android devices have to wait for 5.0.3
let us hope it makes a difference.

2 days ago as an experiment I used a nexus 7 for a little while in bed. Then a nexus 9. Then an ipad. Did the identical thing on all 3. And man the ipad barely budged. The nexus 7 dropped some large percent. The nexus 9 dropped even more. Then last night I did it again and the nexus 7 dropped notably less this time, the nexus 9 dropped even more and again the ipad dropped the same amount (aka not much).

It's just sad. It was the same on my nex5, wildly inconsistent on an already mediocre battery.

Drifters

should I keep or sell my Nexus 7 2013?
thinking of getting a Shield Tablet.

the mini HDMI-out will be very useful
Why sell a perfect tablet? At this point, buy a slimport to do HDMI out and call it good. The Shield Tablet 2 should be out in a few months so I'd wait and see what that yields before jumping ship.

supergiz

What's the best Twitter app out there now for a casual twitter user? I just want a beautiful interface and the ability to have notifications pop up once every day for ppl I follow that contain certain keywords I have specified.

For example I want to receive a notification every time samsung tweets game and vr in the same tweet.

kehs

Banned
What's the best Twitter app out there now for a casual twitter user? I just want a beautiful interface and the ability to have notifications pop up once every day for ppl I follow that contain certain keywords I have specified.

For example I want to receive a notification every time samsung tweets game and vr in the same tweet.

I think that called a mailing list.

Wreav

Banned
Formatted my Note 4, and put brightness on auto, one of those two things did the trick for the battery, it's been on for over 24 hours with almost 3hr SoT and still at 35%.

I fully believe project volta isn't even a thing.

Honestly it shouldn't have been. Google should have never touted this as a feature. Desperately trying to improve battery life to attempt to catch up to your competition is not a feature.

In fact google should have a dedicated team that is always working on battery life and we should never be told about it. Clearly there isnt because android battery life fucking sucks.

There were those who were certain that 5.0 would bring the much needed battery boost the Moto X needed. It was the final piece of the puzzle to cementing the Moto X's POTY title. Are you calling them lairs?

lol. It was hilarious there were some who kept preaching that 5.0 will solve everything..especially battery life...what a fail..

There were those who were certain that 5.0 would bring the much needed battery boost the Moto X needed. It was the final piece of the puzzle to cementing the Moto X's POTY title. Are you calling them lairs?

Lair_front.jpg

Yea fuck the Lairs!

lol. It was hilarious there were some who kept preaching that 5.0 will solve everything..especially battery life...what a fail..

NotBacon was like the only poster that was preaching this. He had every right given the information google was giving.

It's not his fault google failed to achieve what they said they were going to do.

The battered android syndrome in this thread is amazing. Just go iOS and get it over with.

People always bitch about what they don't have. Doesn't mean they think the grass is greener on the other side.

Its sad but its more about politics and principle for me. If IOS was legitimately supioror in every way, I still wouldn't use it.

Between they're litigation tactics (Rockstar consortium), monopoly/power over US carriers, and closed minded ecosystem.. If we didnt have android fighting off ios in the US our only option would be a 2000 dollar iPhone. I will never touch their products with a ten foot pole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom