• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
The battered android syndrome in this thread is amazing. Just go iOS and get it over with.
I call Android out on all it's bullshit because I like it and wish it was better. I use iOS a lot as well but I want to use Android more because I like it more personally. But I won't sugarcoat what sucks. Android always feels like a fight. The fight to pick the right phone (aka pick your poison in terms of size/skins/battery/etc..), a fight to get good and consistent battery life, a fight to get timely updates (even on nexus devices), etc...

iOS just is. I'd probably stick to iOS only if A) I wasn't a geek and didn't need new tech constantly and B) I had a mac. But alas I like windows (and love google apps) and I like android despite all the shit I talk. If I didn't care I wouldn't say anything at all ok googy :(
I FINALLY upgraded from my almost 3 year old Xperia S to a Z3!

Holyshit what a difference, im so happy
damn son that's a huge jump, congrats! I know someone who went from an xperia s to a moto x 2013 and their mind blew as well. The S is mad aged.

NotBacon

I fully believe project volta isn't even a thing.

Eh I dunno, battery life is consistently good in Nexus 6 land. Not sure if it's Volta or what, but it's sweet.

There were those who were certain that 5.0 would bring the much needed battery boost the Moto X needed. It was the final piece of the puzzle to cementing the Moto X's POTY title. Are you calling them lairs?

Yep. That's all it needed. So close. SO CLOSE. That hasn't stopped me from recommending it to anybody who doesn't stare at their phone for the majority of the day. Guess what, they all hate it......
Jk, they love it.
Definitely runner-up of the year.

lol. It was hilarious there were some who kept preaching that 5.0 will solve everything..especially battery life...what a fail..

Yeah 5.0 didn't do shit at all. Let's go back to holo because fuck Google because reasons.

NotBacon was like the only poster that was preaching this. He had every right given the information google was giving.

It's not his fault google failed to achieve what they said they were going to do.

Bazingo.

Oh wait, sorry guys, I mean: fuck Google! I'm switching to Firefox OS.

Eh I dunno, battery life is consistently good in Nexus 6 land. Not sure if it's Volta or what, but it's sweet.
well it does have a 3220mah battery which is massive so that's probably what's doing it. Like I said imagine if Android had good optimization and whatnot when it comes to battery use. You'd have way better than consistently good. Bigger batteries mask the problem but it be there.

Nexus 9 is a perfect example of wildly inconsistent android battery life. I'm happy with it overall and I'm sure it'll get better with updates but it's still typical.

Wreav

Banned
Android always feels like a fight. The fight to pick the right phone (aka pick your poison in terms of size/skins/battery/etc..), a fight to get good and consistent battery life, a fight to get timely updates (even on nexus devices), etc...

iOS just is.
I agree about Android constantly being a fight, at least lately. There are so few gaps between iOS 8 and 4.4 that it's hard not to recommend iOS for its increased usability (IMO).

I think 5.0 has some really killer features over iOS, but getting a total package of a phone on the Android side still feels impossible. On the Apple side, you buy either model of the 6 and you're in business in terms of battery/camera/whatever Android shortcoming you are pining for.

I have wished Android to live up to its potential for years and for years every phone lacks in some critical way. What confidence can any of us have that 2015 will be any different when Googy continues to let OEMs be boneheads?

I agree about Android constantly being a fight, at least lately. There are so few gaps between iOS 8 and 4.4 that it's hard not to recommend iOS for its increased usability (IMO).

I think 5.0 has some really killer features over iOS, but getting a total package of a phone on the Android side still feels impossible. On the Apple side, you buy either model of the 6 and you're in business in terms of battery/camera/whatever Android shortcoming you are pining for.

I have wished Android to live up to its potential for years and for years every phone lacks in some critical way. What confidence can any of us have that 2015 will be any different when Googy continues to let OEMs be boneheads?
my main phone right now is an iphone 6 but the underlined is funny because I'm ready to drop it in a second if the right phone comes along. But alas.

I have zero confidence in 2015. In fact my only hope stems from the fact that basically all manufacturers aren't doing so hot in the face of xiaomi and the chinese invasion so they're going to have to step it up...I hope. My standards for android are low as well. Other than stock OS I'm not looking for much. I'll take a decent camera, good battery life and timely updates and that's it. Moto X would have been good if it had a better battery. Maybe moto will get me next year. Or maybe the next nexus will be less niche.

I have zero faith but I'm hoping!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Pyro, I somewhat agree with you on Android's battery life. It's inconsistent. But somewhat predictable when you get a groove. I always give a phone a week to see where it ends up. Some days, sure, the phone will go haywire and die but that's the exception. I also agree about Android standby time. My iPad used to barely budge while on standby but my Nexus tablets will be knocked down after a night of non-use.

I'd be on iOS if it didn't feel so disjointed. The whole thing feels like you're fighting Apple to put your data where it needs to be. And being able to set default apps. And terrible home screens. The hardware is ace, though, and App Store is still top dog.

Yes, Volta isn't making huge strides. Google shouldn't have named it as a project and just added the features. It would have lessened the disappointment. IMO Volta is a net plus but still a disappointment.

I do both apple and android.

The iPhone 6+ is an amazing phone.
Premium build, great screen, excellent camera and battery life..BUT its so lacking in function as a phablet..too simple, too barebone...Its like blown up iPhone. That's why the iPhone are more of a girlfriend phone...or people who mostly care about social media..

BTW if there are any nexus 9 owners I have to recommend this case:

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00J2QUWTW/

Extremely good quality for the price, just came in the mail. Perfecto.

Pyro, I somewhat agree with you on Android's battery life. It's inconsistent. But somewhat predictable when you get a groove. I always give a phone a week to see where it ends up. Some days, sure, the phone will go haywire and die but that's the exception. I also agree about Android standby time. My iPad used to barely budge while on standby but my Nexus tablets will be knocked down after a night of non-use.

I'd be on iOS if it didn't feel so disjointed. The whole thing feels like you're fighting Apple to put your data where it needs to be. And being able to set default apps. And terrible home screens. The hardware is ace, though, and App Store is still top dog.

Yes, Volta isn't making huge strides. Google shouldn't have named it as a project and just added the features. It would have lessened the disappointment. IMO Volta is a net plus but still a disappointment.
yeah the default app thing kills me. I use iOS a ton and I have a laundry list of things I wish they'd improve on but none of it is that huge a deal for me compared to the issues I have with android. I hate fighting the thing I like more, lol. Also my battery experience hasn't been great for a while but keep in mind I'm coming from a nexus 5 which doesn't have good battery to begin with so when it's inconsistent it really shows.

I still recommend iOS devices to most people. Also I love how apple can release an update at the same time to their quadrillions of phones but nexus devices still going out in waves and shit. Small stuff like that still kills me. Google pls. My brother still hasn't received lollipop on his nexus 7 lol.

i feel like there is a bit of back and forth and considering and thinking and debating when choosing the right Android device... while with iOS, all of their devices are the wrong device so there's no choice to be made at all!

Wreav

Banned
Actually if the iPhone 6+ had touchwiz & s-pen, it would be my daily driver.
I've been completely underwhelmed by Sammy's phablet customizations lime multi window but I will cede that the S pen is a great feature. I've been using it constantly while playing Elite Dangerous for note taking.

Stock Android with S pen functionality would be game changing.

wilflare

Why sell a perfect tablet? At this point, buy a slimport to do HDMI out and call it good. The Shield Tablet 2 should be out in a few months so I'd wait and see what that yields before jumping ship.

good advice.

one of the reasons why I'm more inclined to the Shield Tablet is cause of it's specs - it is the most powerful 8inch tablet right? (with decent speakers too)

sigh the extent I go for GameStream/RemotePlay :/

there has been news of the Shield Tablet 2?

I'm talking smack but lets be real if the iphone 6 ran android I'd be in phone heaven.

Actually the battery would be horrible :p

I have both note 4 and 6+.

the Iphone 6+ battery last longer but it does way less...but dayam the idle time last long.

The Note 4 does 6 to 7 hour average screen on time which is decent but can't beat the Z3.

with the note 4, Z3 & Droid turbo...android battery life is looking bright.

NotBacon

I still recommend iOS devices to most people. Also I love how apple can release an update at the same time to their quadrillions of phones but nexus devices still going out in waves and shit. Small stuff like that still kills me. Google pls. My brother still hasn't received lollipop on his nexus 7 lol.

Pretty much. First question is always: what size do you want?

Big: Nexus 6.
Small: iPhone 6. Don't like iOS? Moto X.

i feel like there is a bit of back and forth and considering and thinking and debating when choosing the right Android device... while with iOS, all of their devices are the wrong device so there's no choice to be made at all!

Lol

well it does have a 3220mah battery which is massive so that's probably what's doing it.

Definitely a factor, but there is no doubt some optimization going on considering standby barely sips battery for me.

I still want to see iOS level optimization though since iPhones can get by with considerably smaller batteries.

What would the screen time on iPhone 6+ be?
I think the 6+ would easily get 4-5 hours. It does have an almost 3000mah battery.

The 6 would have horrible battery life with android lol considering it's only using an 1800mah. It's just extremely well optimized.

My iphone 6 has bombbbb battery life. I haven't used it a ton today but it's still on pace to be cray:

kMbWv2Y.png

Imagine hangouts was well optimized on ios8 lol. It's always at the top of the list by far :/

Wreav

Banned
There's a reason the phrase "screen on time" doesn't exist in the iOS community, and that's because no one has ever had the need to measure it. It's downright voodoo what Apple does with their undersized batteries.

gcubed

There's a reason the phrase "screen on time" doesn't exist in the iOS community, and that's because no one has ever had the need to measure it. It's downright voodoo what Apple does with their undersized batteries.

Now we are just throwing shit at a wall

Wreav

Banned
Now we are just throwing shit at a wall

The iPhone 6 has a 1810 mAh battery. Name one Android that has a similar size battery that can last half as long on standby or with the screen on.

It took the Note with a 3200 mAh battery to match performance.

every time I hear the word "wakelock" I think smh.... android lol. Also any talk of anti-virus apps makes me cringe internally.

With that said, it's almost CES. Which android manufacturers are first up to bat? Is it Sony and then HTC and then Samsung/LG and then Moto/Nexus late in 2015?

edit: the iphone surprises the shit out of me with that 1800mah battery. I mean look at those stats. Lots of just replying to messages and light browsing and it doesn't look like it's going anywhere any time soon.

my main phone right now is an iphone 6 but the underlined is funny because I'm ready to drop it in a second if the right phone comes along. But alas.

I have zero confidence in 2015. In fact my only hope stems from the fact that basically all manufacturers aren't doing so hot in the face of xiaomi and the chinese invasion so they're going to have to step it up...I hope. My standards for android are low as well. Other than stock OS I'm not looking for much. I'll take a decent camera, good battery life and timely updates and that's it. Moto X would have been good if it had a better battery. Maybe moto will get me next year. Or maybe the next nexus will be less niche.

I have zero faith but I'm hoping!

lol, I don't post here much anymore but I was a HUGE Android guy for the past few years. I upgraded to every Nexus phone, owned every Nexus tablet, and I've pretty much given up on Android. iOS 8 got close enough to what I wanted out of a mobile OS and Apple's hardware is still second to none in my books.

I loved using Android but like you guys said, I always felt like I was fighting it. Constantly trying to figure out what's causing wakelocks/killing my battery life, greenifying bullshit, looking for and deleting leftover files from apps, wondering why the fuck Evernote lagged like shit on a 2013 Nexus 7 while it's smooth on a Galaxy S3... I was so tired of it. I couldn't even leave wifi on on my 2013 Nexus 7 because it would lose something like 30% overnight while it was ASLEEP whereas my iPad mini loses maybe THREE PERCENT in an entire day with wifi on. Honestly, I'd probably still be willing to put up with all that if there were a good device out there for me but everything on the Android side just has too many flaws. The iPhone might not have the absolute best screen, camera, design, battery, or whatever but they put together a package where everything is very, very, very good.

Wreav

Banned
That isn't the question you asked, though, is it.

Don't be obtuse and try to pretend that 90% of those phones are in the range of a modern Android/iPhone.

The iPhone might not have the absolute best screen, camera, design, battery, or whatever but they put together a package where everything is very, very, very good.

Avengers_-_Jeremy_Renner_Nod_().gif

Increasingly when fiddling with Android phones, I have to ask myself what part of the experience is better than iOS in a daily driver, pounding on my phone all day long kind of way. In almost every way iOS has pulled even with, or surpassed, Android. Again, 5.0 has some nice stuff, but even things like the screen waking notifications contain SO LITTLE content in 5.0 compared to iOS that it all but defeats the purpose. I find myself constantly shaking my head at design decisions coming from Googy or OEMs.

Not to mention the fact that they're allowing their best app experiences to live on iOS, that alone is so weird to me. I just want to love you, Android, stop making it so fucking hard.

Don't be obtuse and try to pretend that 90% of those phones are in the range of a modern Android/iPhone.
OK then. Boost it from 1810 mAh to just 1860 mAh, aka hardly anything extra, and you get the Galaxy Alpha. Recently released phone, same screen size, similar resolution, 2GB RAM and octa-core.

So very relevant, though personally too expensive for what it offers.

350 hours standby (100 more than iPhone 6) and from a quick browse of reviews and their battery tests looped video playback tests yield very similar levels from both devices.

Hopefully that is enough to satisfy you.

gcubed

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130807185808/shipping/images/3/39/Avengers_-_Jeremy_Renner_Nod_().gif[/IMG1]

Increasingly when fiddling with Android phones, I have to ask myself what part of the experience is better than iOS in a daily driver, pounding on my phone all day long kind of way. In almost every way iOS has pulled even with, or surpassed, Android. Again, 5.0 has some nice stuff, but even things like the screen waking notifications contain SO LITTLE content in 5.0 compared to iOS that it all but defeats the purpose. I find myself constantly shaking my head at design decisions coming from Googy or OEMs.

Not to mention the fact that they're allowing their best app experiences to live on iOS, that alone is so weird to me. I just want to love you, Android, stop making it so fucking hard.[/QUOTE]

No need to be pissy, I mean, it's ok to be wrong, you often are. I'd think you'd be used to it by now.

kehs

Banned

Windows phone and especially BBs have just as much functionality as androids.

Why are you trying to pretend that android is the end all be all?

Wreav

Banned
The following is the leading piece of marketing on the BB Passport webpage.

DtdPkYE.jpg

Bigglybobblyboo and kehs bringing the knowledge

NotBacon

I stand by my previous statement. I don't think there is a perfect Android phone sub 5.5". That's why I still recommend iPhone 6 in that league.

But if you go up to phablets, Nexus 6 (and Nexus 6 TouchWiz Edition) is definitely as good as it gets when it comes to phones. At least until the next major battery/screen/whatever revolution.

Drifters

The biggest thing that I can't figure out is how a rogue app can make a phone turn to absolute shit..... Even in 5.0, Google hasn't figured this out.

Wreav

Banned
ham has never handled a Z3 compact. ®

The most iPhone Android to ever exist.

The biggest thing that I can't figure out is how a rogue app can make a phone turn to absolute shit..... Even in 5.0, Google hasn't figured this out.

Neither has Apple, to be fair, although I find it happens to me less in iOS than in Android. You could say the same thing for desktop OSes, any time you let an app use its share of system resources, there's a chance things can go to shit.

I stand by my previous statement. I don't think there is a perfect Android phone sub 5.5". That's why I still recommend iPhone 6 in that league.

But if you go up to phablets, Nexus 6 (and Nexus 6 TouchWiz Edition) is definitely as good as it gets when it comes to phones. At least until the next major battery/screen/whatever revolution.

For a phablet, I don't think the Note 4 or maybe even the Nexus 6 can be beat. The iPhone 6+ seems terrible to me and does absolutely nothing with the increased size.

Drifters

The most iPhone Android to ever exist.

Neither has Apple, to be fair, although I find it happens to me less in iOS than in Android. You could say the same thing for desktop OSes, any time you let an app use its share of system resources, there's a chance things can go to shit.
Never experienced that on iOS because I figured the strict API coding made sure the battery didn't get hammered. Anyways, it definitely is more pronounced on Android.

Wreav

Banned
For a phablet, I don't think the Note 4 or maybe even the Nexus 6 can be beat. The iPhone 6+ seems terrible to me and does absolutely nothing with the increased size.

The 6+ form factor is miserable. Somehow it ends up feeling enormous compared to the Note 4 with a considerably smaller screen. The one bright spot is TouchID amidst the trainwreck, but even that's not enough to justify the size.

Wreav

Banned
Anyways, enough talk about the iPhone.

Let's get back to the real business, and that's complaining about Android. Why the FUCK did Googy remove the refresh button from Chrome, even while making the home button removable? Why can't I just...like...put a refresh button where the homepage button went? Why do I need such a long address bar? WHY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom