• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy DJ

Joke scoring or not, one thing’s for certain. The new sizes will be highlighted as a positive for Apple, to be celebrated in one way or another as opposed to how it’s been used as a grievance and bashing point on Android. Just you watch the sudden change of tune when the time comes

The newest flagships are all too large for anyone who wants to use them with a single hand. They either exceed 5" (Z2, S5, G3) or/and have huge bezels (Z2, One M8). Some, like the Z2, feel quite poorly balanced and chunky so reaching for top and bottom UI elements feels a bit precarious. That's the complaint The Verge (and even Anandtech) have regarding all of the new flagships: they're all getting larger but they've crossed the line and are actually getting more difficult to hold.

If you want to bring Apple into the equation, there's a reason why they're probably going to have a "sudden change of tune". If Apple does the rumoured 4.7" with tiny bezels, the screen will be larger to improve usability and legibility but most likely won't be large enough to impede one handed use. Top UI elements will still be a problem but I've always thought that Apple did a better job with weight balance than most phone manufacturers so shifting your hand up and down is more natural.

Cipherr

sigh n/m. Topic is beaten to death and Im a little tired of the last few pages of "Android OT || Did you see WWDC!?"

I never liked verge reviews for anything. Their reviews are very bad most of the time

They have great reviews IMO outside of a few instances. And outside of their numerical scoring. The numerical scoring is hilariously inconsistent. It does not favor anyone (not even apple) its just not consistent. Theres also been a slow creep of "You are only going to score so high if your phone isn't aluminum."

No... lets look at reality shall we?

Show me the last iPhone with small top and bottom bezels. Ill wait while you realize the next iPhone will have a large bottom bezel comparatively to fit that big ass round touch ID home button on it.

iphone-5c_iphone-5c-500x500.jpg

That is in no way a small top and bottom bezel. Period. Even the side bezels aren't all that small. When they put that on a 4.7" phone you will have the exact same issue you have with other phones. Balance may be a thing, but your thumb isn't going to magically reach on a 4.7" iPhone any more than it does any other 4.7" phone. Especially when you consider how big their top and bottom bezels are.
large top bezel too. that's how they avoid the camera bulge.

Tommy DJ

No... lets look at reality shall we?

Show me the last iPhone with small top and bottom bezels. Ill wait while you realize the next iPhone will have a large bottom bezel comparatively to fit that big ass round touch ID home button on it.

That is in no way a small top and bottom bezel. Period. Even the side bezels aren't all that small. When they put that on a 4.7" phone you will have the exact same issue you have with other phones. Balance may be a thing, but your thumb isn't going to magically reach on a 4.7" iPhone any more than it does any other 4.7" phone. Especially when you consider how big their top and bottom bezels are.

The problem here are not the top and bottom bezels, its a problem with display size and weight distribution. The larger display size is the issue since both Android and iOS use top and bottom UI elements. With thin side bezels, you're either able to cram in a larger screen or reduce the amount of space your thumb has to travel to reach the top and bottom corners of the screen.

Samsung dodges a lot of these issues by just having well balanced phones with easy to press hardware buttons. For phones like the Xperia Z1, its just frustrating to use with one hand because the weight distribution is quite poor, the Android keyboard is shifted further up the screen due to software buttons, and the large screen combined with thick bezels make it uncomfortable to reach the corners.

Tommy DJ

As I said, Samsung dodges a lot of these issues by making phones that are weighted properly and have placed some thought into button placement. The S5 is a bit too large for my tastes (S4 size was perfect) but I reckon I could end up using one.

The HTC One M8 looks great but is an ergonomic nightmare because of the larger screen size, thick bottom bezels (boomsound + HTC black bar), and on-screen buttons shift the keyboard way up the phone. This screws up the the weight balance of the phone.

If Apple is going to release a 4.7" phone I really doubt that they'd release a complete piece of shit that is just a blown up version of the iPhone 5. I've never liked iOS but I've always felt that the hardware was what I'd expect from a small high end phone (good balance, good specs, easy to reach and press buttons). There are many ways to skin a cat and some companies just do it better than others. Case in point being HTC vs. Sony. vs Samsung volume/lock button placements and tactile feel.

Hey guys, since my Nexus 4 was stolen last friday, I'm looking to buy a new phone. I was gonna wait for the G3 to launch in Brazil but now I'm not gonna be able to.

Here's my options, from cheapest to more expensive

Moto X

Nexus 5

LG G2
Xperia Z1

I was tired of having shit battery with the N4 and yould really like to have a nicer camera. So I guess my best options would be the G2 and Z1. The G2 have a better screen also and I know it does have one of the best battery lifes. How is the Z1 in that aspect?

Tommy DJ

The Xperia Z1 has a pretty bad screen. Battery life was OK when I had it but could only really last a day with a lot of email/PDF usage. Camera was pretty hit and miss too though apparently firmware updates have fixed a lot of its problems. Your mileage may vary though.

I'd go with the G2 provided you can deal with the back buttons.

terrier

Because of the bezels, the G3's really only about as big in the hand as many of the 5inchers such as the N5 or M8. I was ready to write it off because of it's size until I read that. LG with the design win.

Anything bigger in the hand than the N5 (which already straddles the line of being too big) is a no-go for me. And I've got massive hands.

the g3 is 1cm taller and a few mm wider than n5, it is quite bigger. Expected though, since screen is 0.5 bigger too, but is not in the same league as 5 inchers size wise. It is as big as z1/z2 series and almost into phablet territory
Samsung dodges a lot of these issues by just having well balanced phones with easy to press hardware buttons. For phones like the Xperia Z1, its just frustrating to use with one hand because the weight distribution is quite poor, the Android keyboard is shifted further up the screen due to software buttons, and the large screen combined with thick bezels make it uncomfortable to reach the corners.
not true, at least for z1, sony's omnibalance or however that is called works, z1 weight distribution is great.ANd i guess they have done the same for z2.

markot

Banned
My phone keeps unlocking in my pocket. How to stop it? I like to keep the screen toward my skin so that it's protected from bumps if I hit anything with my leg.

The Xperia Z1 has a pretty bad screen. Battery life was OK when I had it but could only really last a day with a lot of email/PDF usage. Camera was pretty hit and miss too though apparently firmware updates have fixed a lot of its problems. Your mileage may vary though.

I'd go with the G2 provided you can deal with the back buttons.

I tried te G2 in a store for 30 minutes last year and I liked the back buttons.

I don't really like the LG UI on the G2, but with Action or Nova and Xposed most of the issues I have can be solved

Cipherr

My phone keeps unlocking in my pocket. How to stop it? I like to keep the screen toward my skin so that it's protected from bumps if I hit anything with my leg.

The button is getting pushed, and a successful swipe is happening while its in your pocket? :lol.

Yeah just use a pin or a dot pattern, that'll do the trick.

I feel like my Z1 is slowly killing itself off only after six months of owning it in a 24 month contract.

The camera is much slower to open and sometimes crashes completely, swapping between the front facing and rear camera takes some time too. This is even worse in apps like Snapchat which rarely work. The input is wack as well, this video is exactly the problem I have:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj1P0X12r_A

Apparently these are both really common problems, does anyone else have the same issues?

Tommy DJ

not true, at least for z1, sony's omnibalance or however that is called works, z1 weight distribution is great.ANd i guess they have done the same for z2.

When I had the Z1, I always thought the top of the phone was notably heavier than the bottom. Its definitely possible that I remember the whole experience incorrectly but I do remember that the phone's weak ergonomics are one of the main reasons why I sold it not long after getting it with my plan.

MarkusRJR

Have any of you guys tried Ghost Armor? My friend told me about them (since there's a booth a mall away). I was thinking if having them apply a full body guard on whatever phone I end up getting.

Is it any good (both service and protector quality)? I fucking suck at applying screen protectors so I just gave up. Having full body coverage on a phone sounds nice though, as long as it isn't gross or slippery.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Submarino Conversível;114814072 said:
Hey guys, since my Nexus 4 was stolen last friday, I'm looking to buy a new phone. I was gonna wait for the G3 to launch in Brazil but now I'm not gonna be able to.

Here's my options, from cheapest to more expensive

Moto X

Nexus 5

LG G2
Xperia Z1

I was tired of having shit battery with the N4 and yould really like to have a nicer camera. So I guess my best options would be the G2 and Z1. The G2 have a better screen also and I know it does have one of the best battery lifes. How is the Z1 in that aspect?

I can't recommend the G2 highly enough.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Dr. Funk ~ You been lucky enough to try a One+One phone yet? You seem to be the king of all things phones.

Unfortunately, no, since One+ (read: Oppo) haven't released the 64GB model yet. Reviews I've read say it's an excellent device, though.

mturco

So basically going with a QHD screen was pointless
Yep, pretty much. I get the "keep pushing things forward" mentality but there's a lot of different factors at play and they passed up an opportunity to push battery life forward instead of PPI (a much more worthwhile upgrade). Their new display tech on a 1080p display could have really made an impact but they essentially negated any gains by going QHD.

Husker86

So? Why should a version of an OS not shipping for months have influence on current reviews?

Someone was complaining that the Apple keynote news was more prominent on the website than yet another phone review. That's what I was responding to.

No. You and me both are waiting for Google to realize how based 7.9" 4:3 Nexus tablet would be.

I'm still waiting for that Nexus 10 refresh that will apparently never happen since Google is apparently abandoning the 10"+ tablet market and letting Apple have it uncontested.

I'm probably going to get a clearanced Surface Pro 2 anyways.

I'm still waiting for that Nexus 10 refresh that will apparently never happen since Google is apparently abandoning the 10"+ tablet market and letting Apple have it uncontested.

I'm probably going to get a clearanced Surface Pro 2 anyways.

I want a clearance surface pro 2 too! I can't afford the pro 3 :(

Main concern with the pro 2 is the wifi Issue...is that been resolve?

Imagine if they did these 6 things at I/O:

1. Android 5.0
2. Silver Phone
3. New Nexus 7
4. New Nexus 10
5. Google Mobile Service Provider
6. Massive Google Fiber opportunities in the US

Yeah, I'm dreaming :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom