• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotBacon

Me? That feeling when your phone dies, and in the next second is at 100%... it is like having an orgasm or watching a Nexus 6 drop test.

A phone should never be on a charger. What are we, savages? 3 batteries with an external battery charger (better if it can charge 2 at the same time), this is what we should expect of a portable, wireless device.

Or you could just buy a Nexus 6, Note 4, OPO, or Z3 and never have to worry about it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
With the Note 4 having the 810 now, ugh... Makes me again reconsider my decision to get a Nexus 6 instead of a Note 4. I don't want TW, I want stock, but the Note 4 hardware is superior. TW isn't that bad these days, is it? I haven't used it in years.

Hasney

With the Note 4 having the 810 now, ugh... Makes me again reconsider my decision to get a Nexus 6 instead of a Note 4. I don't want TW, I want stock, but the Note 4 hardware is superior. TW isn't that bad these days, is it? I haven't used it in years.

It's ugly as sin, but if those benchmarks above are anything to go by, it isn't very bloated anymore.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
or maybe you want the next HTC device :p

B6BWGQDCUAIaWhv.jpg

malyce

People have given good enough reasons why they are great to have on a phone, and here you are saying they're annoying? Please.

Removable batteries are so great. I slept, didn't charge the Note 4 overnight, still used it when I woke up, and just swapped batteries. Instant 100% and ready to go while the other one charges. <3

Both have legit points. In fact i find the sd crowd having the edge. I find it easier to carry a powerbank (lots of sizes and capacicity to choose from, and can be used on any device) than a second battery.

But how do you manage storage? I take a lot of pictures and vids, and now with slow motion or over 1080p recording storage IS an issue, i have huge files.so SD card is the easy way to add more unexpensive storage plus is replaceable easily.

AS for the Android vs iOS thing, well, it is easier to focus on 2 devices a year instead of managing an OS that powers hundreds of different ones. Not that google hasn't its own flaws , should focus on battery life issues which are a bit inconsistent.

The hilarious part is how your first sentence and your second one blatantly contradict each other.

How to not blow through your data cap? Have your media stored locally on your device instead of streaming it. It's rocket science, I know.

Flagships released with Micro SD support this year:

Z3
HTC One M8
Galaxy S 5
Note 4
G3
Moto X 2014(Only with lollipop update)

Let's not act like there is somehow a lack of SD card support on flagship android devices. Nexus and iPhones, both of which have at least a 64gb variant, aren't happening any time soon, so it annoys when it gets brought up as a bullet point like it's something new.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's ugly as sin, but if those benchmarks above are anything to go by, it isn't very bloated anymore.

When I had the OG Note, I slapped Cyanogen Mod on it and had a decent time. It was kind of buggy, though, and I vowed to stick with a Nexus. But man, that hardware is so good. If I could have a near stock experience on the Note 4.5, I'd be pretty happy.

DrFunk: In HTC I do not believe.

Hasney

When I had the OG Note, I slapped Cyanogen Mod on it and had a decent time. It was kind of buggy, though, and I vowed to stick with a Nexus. But man, that hardware is so good. If I could have a near stock experience on the Note 4.5, I'd be pretty happy.

DrFunk: In HTC I do not believe.

I'm still rocking my Galaxy S4 and I've got CM12 beta on it with Android 5.0.2. I've been shocked by just how stable it is already, bar AudioFX crashing now and again.

Looking at the AnAnd story on the 810 Note 4, a comment raises an interesting point. We may not know is this is the clock speed that was intended for the 810 or not as if they were having manufacturing problems, they may have just downclocked them to keep them working well.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
fwiw someone on Reddit did some benchmarking on the Exynos Note 3, seems reasonably promising for the N4 http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/2qn8s4/new_impressive_lollipop_touchwiz_gives_nexus_line/

Those don't really share arch at all though. I struggle to find how this is relevant other than it's lollipop.

Also even if the 810 goes back to S600 like clock rates the performance gains will still be great for QHD displays mainly due to the new GPU and the move to LPDDR4. LPDDR4 in particular is a 50% bandwidth bump over LPDDR3 out the gate.

Not to mention the big little design and new RAM are a boon to battery life due to lower entry power draw.

Bboy AJ

I'm still rocking my Galaxy S4 and I've got CM12 beta on it with Android 5.0.2. I've been shocked by just how stable it is already, bar AudioFX crashing now and again.

Looking at the AnAnd story on the 810 Note 4, a comment raises an interesting point. We may not know is this is the clock speed that was intended for the 810 or not as if they were having manufacturing problems, they may have just downclocked them to keep them working well.

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/810

That looks so much better than the 805. Man, why would I get a Nexus 6 over a Note 4.5? It looks like a huge upgrade. I want stock, though :( And no ugly capacitive keys or physical home button.

Hasney

That looks so much better than the 805. Man, why would I get a Nexus 6 over a Note 4.5? It looks like a huge upgrade. I want stock, though :( And no ugly capacitive keys or physical home button.

Maybe the Moto X 2015 will be good for you?

Just remember to get the extended battery kit so it can last all day.

huge-backpack.jpg

For serious though, if HTC have got it, all flagships in 2015 should have it. If Sony don't have it in the Z4, they've done fucked up.

Bboy AJ

Maybe the Moto X 2015 will be good for you?

Just remember to get the extended battery kit so it can last all day.

[im]http://www.therustylife.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/huge-backpack.jpg[/img]

For serious though, if HTC have got it, all flagships in 2015 should have it. If Sony don't have it in the Z4, they've done fucked up.

LOL at that picture. And the only flagships I care about come out in the fall. So I'd be waiting a year for my next 810 phone. Don't care about S6, G4, HTC, Z4 whatever. Nope. If I'm not going Nexus to get stock, it's gonna be a Note or Moto.

Vanillalite

LOL at that picture. And the only flagships I care about come out in the fall. So I'd be waiting a year for my next 810 phone. Don't care about S6, G4, HTC, Z4 whatever. Nope. If I'm not going Nexus to get stock, it's gonna be a Note or Moto.

Moto needs to get their shit in gear and release earlier in the year.

Coming from Lg3 and z3,having lollipop on a nexus 7, touchwiz isn't bad at all. I was using nova pro launcher at first but now just use straight touchwiz.

I'm the type of person who don't blindly buy things base on hype. I do thought out research and try to them out first before buying. People who know me in this thread knows that I'm not loyal to one brand, if a brand brings out a quality product better than another company, I will buy the better product. I don't need justification of my purchase. I don't blindly over hype a product base on bias.

Moto needs to get their shit in gear and release earlier in the year.
I do hate that they're so far out. Wish they were more summer than fall.

Also the SoC part of the android news cycle is always the most amusing. It never makes a big difference because the things that suck up the battery intensify too. See super hd screens. Aka 4k displays in 2015.

Bboy AJ

Coming from Lg3 and z3,having lollipop on a nexus 7, touchwiz isn't bad at all. I was using nova pro launcher at first but now just use straight touchwiz.

I'm the type of person who don't blindly buy things base on hype. I do thought out research and try to them out first before buying. People who know me in this thread knows that I'm not loyal to one brand, if a brand brings out a quality product better than another company, I will buy the better product. I don't need justification of my purchase. I don't blindly over hype a product base on bias.
Don't worry, shin, I know who you are and I appreciate your insight. I think TW is so ugly. Ugh. But that hardware is great. I'll wait for reviews. N6 purchase is on hold.

So this is the part of the year where we all go "but it'll be different now because _____ SoC is almost out!"?

ujgxLSB.jpg

I break the cycle because I assume everything is going to suck. It's like assume everything will suck >> Leaks come out >> Too good to be true >> turns out I was right >> be disappointed >> repeat.

Hasney

The Z3 hype to release was a linear line because it ended up being what it promised. Great battery with some PS4 remote play thrown in. If they just add an 810 in there for the Z4, I'm happy.

Hell, I'd still get a Note 4.5 if Samsung hadn't wronged me.

Wreav

Banned
money down the drain on that one

Everything I've read says its main draw will be media consumption. Honestly, I'd be interested in it for that purpose, paired with a good pair of headphones, let the wife watch her shitty Vampire Diaries on the TV while enjoying some VR goodness.

For gaming/headtracking, prepare for disappointment if you've ever used a DK2.

Everything I've read says its main draw will be media consumption. Honestly, I'd be interested in it for that purpose, paired with a good pair of headphones, let the wife watch her shitty Vampire Diaries on the TV while enjoying some VR goodness.

For gaming/headtracking, prepare for disappointment if you've ever used a DK2.

That is exactly why I want it for....watching movies. But 200 is pretty steep price..

Hasney

I'd wait on the Gear VR. There will probably be a better version of it when there's more media to consume, even the price holds between models.

Renta

Banned
I'm looking to buy a Xperia Z2 but I'm having a really tough time finding a good protective case that still leaves access to the magnetic charging dock.

Does such a case even exist? QQ

Vanillalite

Eh very little to be disappointed about overall last year. There were a shit ton of solid performing Snapdragon 801 handsets, and the Note 4 and Nexus were great phablets.

Don't really believe in the sonic cycle last year.

Also this year is a bit difference as the 810 signifies the ushering in of the 20nm process. We haven't seen a jump like this since the OG Snap S4 hit in the GS3/One X.

Note 4 doesn't have the snapdragon 810. It has the 805.

NotBacon

Anybody know if it's possible to remove a Google account from the Hangouts app, but keep it on the device? It's my work email so I JUST want it for emails, but I can see it in Keep/Hangouts/etc..... And yes it's only marked to sync email.

Eh very little to be disappointed about overall last year. There were a shit ton of solid performing Snapdragon 801 handsets, and the Note 4 and Nexus were great phablets.

Don't really believe in the sonic cycle last year.

Also this year is a bit difference as the 810 signifies the ushering in of the 20nm process. We haven't seen a jump like this since the OG Snap S4 hit in the GS3/One X.

I'm just not sure where the difference will be noticeable in the real world. I mean, I love specs as much as the next guy, and that Qualcomm page is drool-worthy, but I just don't see everyday improvements coming out of this. Maybe the new efficiency would increase my battery life from 1.5 days to 2 days, but that won't effect me since I charge every night anyways. Maybe 3D games will be smoother, but that's still niche.

I'm just struggling to find where my phone could be improved.

SimleuqiR

Anybody know if it's possible to remove a Google account from the Hangouts app, but keep it on the device? It's my work email so I JUST want it for emails, but I can see it in Keep/Hangouts/etc..... And yes it's only marked to sync email.

On the Hangouts app, just sign out the account you don't want. Go into the settings, select the account you don't want, head down to where it says "Sign out". That's all you can really do.

Bboy AJ

I'm just not sure where the difference will be noticeable in the real world. I mean, I love specs as much as the next guy, and that Qualcomm page is drool-worthy, but I just don't see everyday improvements coming out of this. Maybe the new efficiency would increase my battery life from 1.5 days to 2 days, but that won't effect me since I charge every night anyways. Maybe 3D games will be smoother, but that's still niche.

Battery is a big deal to me. Better RAM and more power efficient. Also, even faster LTE? I'd love it. Plus 810 has a new GPS revision. Not sure if that's an improvement, though.

NotBacon

On the Hangouts app, just sign out the account you don't want. Go into the settings, select the account you don't want, head down to where it says "Sign out". That's all you can really do.

facepalm.exe

Battery is a big deal to me. Better RAM and more power efficient. Also, even faster LTE? I'd love it. Plus 810 has a new GPS revision. Not sure if that's an improvement, though.

I can see your thought process. I was in that exact same boat a couple months ago.

Or you could just buy a Nexus 6, Note 4, OPO, or Z3 and never have to worry about it.

You have to put those guys on a charger every now and then. I'm saying the phone should never be on a charger, or else it loses its portability :p

Oh well, it's a personal preference. I know most people don't mind.

----

Those battery bricks are just as bad if not worse than charging. The phone should be free from its charging shackles, and I ain't carrying around no brick :x I feel like I'm in prison everytime my phone is on the charger.

You have to put those guys on a charger every now and then. I'm saying the phone should never be on a charger, or else it loses its portability :p

Oh well, it's a personal preference. I know most people don't mind.

----

Those battery bricks are just as bad if not worse than charging. The phone should be free from its charging shackles, and I ain't carrying around no brick :x I feel like I'm in prison everytime my phone is on the charger.

So get a phone that is Qi wireless compatible? You have to set your phone down sometime.

Vanillalite

The main key is pricing. If you can get a 810 device for the same price as an 805 device why would you get the 805?

It's probably not worth paying a premium for, BUT the 805 devices are already set at premium pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom