• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wreav

Banned
Got a couple of Droid Turbos for work today. The glossy screen is blinding. I like the shape/heft, and the regular black color is much softer/grippier than the ballistic nylon, so I went regular black.

Phone is stupid fast, and the camera looks pretty good, save for the awful shutter lag. I'd forgotten how ugly stock 4.4.4 is.

Hasney

Eh? I guarantee a few flagships will have a worse camera than the Note 4.

Quite possibly, but he's saying the same brand. So it's doubtful the Note 4.5/5 would have a worse camera.

Fortunately for me, I don't care about camera, so get dat battery life and performance up (which the 810 does promise) and I am a happy man.

kehs

Banned
You have to put those guys on a charger every now and then. I'm saying the phone should never be on a charger, or else it loses its portability :p

Oh well, it's a personal preference. I know most people don't mind.

----

Those battery bricks are just as bad if not worse than charging. The phone should be free from its charging shackles, and I ain't carrying around no brick :x I feel like I'm in prison everytime my phone is on the charger.

I charge my phone every other night whilst I sleep.

Such an inconvenience.

Maybe is people stopped chasing the ppi fairy there'd be less whining about battery life.

So get a phone that is Qi wireless compatible? You have to set your phone down sometime.

Woah, I didn't even know this existed. This looks really cool! It looks a lot thicker than a spare battery though, the phone+charger would not fit in my skinny jeans lol. And doesn't charging the phone irregularly mess up the battery? I can't imagine charging your battery from 50% to 55%, dropping to 37% and going to 68% etc. is going to be good for the battery.

I charge my phone every other night whilst I sleep.

Such an inconvenience.

Maybe is people stopped chasing the ppi fairy there'd be less whining about battery life.

Sacrificing specs for battery life is for the peasants.

NotBacon

The main key is pricing. If you can get a 810 device for the same price as an 805 device why would you get the 805?

It's probably not worth paying a premium for, BUT the 805 devices are already set at premium pricing.

Because none of them will be Nexus ;)

Woah, I didn't even know this existed. This looks really cool! It looks a lot thicker than a spare battery though, the phone+charger would not fit in my skinny jeans lol.

I have one next to my desk at work and one in my living room at home. Whenever I set it down I just set it on a charger.

Infinite battery life...

Loxley

So I picked up a Galaxy Note 4 yesterday (and also switched to Verizon from Sprint in the process) and I absolutely love it. I upgraded from a Galaxy S3, and man, going from a 4.8-inch 720p screen to a 5.7 inch Quad HD display is like going from SD to HD all over again. I got used to the phone's size in a matter of a couple of hours, and now I can't imagine ever going back to a smaller phone.

And my god, the camera on this thing is amazing.

kehs

Banned
Woah, I didn't even know this existed. This looks really cool! It looks a lot thicker than a spare battery though, the phone+charger would not fit in my skinny jeans lol. And doesn't charging the phone irregularly mess up the battery? I can't imagine charging your battery from 50% to 55%, dropping to 37% and going to 68% etc. is going to be good for the battery.

Sacrificing specs for battery life is for the peasants.

Me oh my, how will we ever cope with sub 500 ppi screens.

2pwodcx.jpg

Hasney

Android System is so high, but I'd think that's because TOUCHWIZ!

Yeah, it was always high on mine when I ran stock. Think killing S Voice helped, but this is Galaxy S4.

If you uninstall Facebook and figure out why Android system is so high, you might be able to reach Nexus 6 levels

Don't worry, the Note 4 has yet to be #blessed by the miracle of Project Volta. It'll catch up.

Wreav

Banned
Killing S Voice kills screen off Google Now voice recognition =(

Everything I've read says that for stock, 15% is normal.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Killing S Voice kills screen off Google Now voice recognition
It doesn't for me. I disabled s voice and I can still say OK Google while my screen is off and it'll detect it.

And I got similar battery results like you posted, except my screen on time was 6 hours and 30 mins.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You charged it throughout the day. Unimpressive.

Samsung just needs to scale touchwiz back hardcore. No one is into this bloat and the tons of gimmicky features and the millions of pointless settings and there's no reason to tweak the UI in some of the ways that they do like the app drawer or notifcation panel and so on. Will make life easier for them, people will be happier because they'll have less issues, they can get updates done faster, etc... Every single year they release a phone it is the one big knock against it. Not sure what they're waiting for. Maybe this will be the year. Not holding my breath. They'll "redo" touchwiz, won't be as ugly but still unnecessary or something.

Regardless what samsung do to touchwiz, people who are emotionally invested to their bias, won't bother with with touchwiz no matter how good it gets....

I want to quote Faceless.......

i'm just saying it would be a problem if Samsung did it, but people would not only eat shit, but also proclaim that it's not really even that bad if Google put it in a box and called it a Nexus Mudpie.

Hasney

I disagree entirely. After about a week of using Touchwiz I found I had to search around on ways to remove it or at least make it less ugly. That was before I knew about performance.

It may have improved since the Galaxy S4 that I have (it's still an eyesore I know that much), but it's probably the worst interface I've used as I eye up friends phones with jealous eyes.

I disagree entirely. After about a week of using Touchwiz I found I had to search around on ways to remove it or at least make it less ugly. That was before I knew about performance.

It may have improved since the Galaxy S4 that I have (it's still an eyesore I know that much), but it's probably the worst interface I've used as I eye up friends phones with jealous eyes.

Should instead the google edition ROM on that phone. I think they will deliver a redesigned interface with the S6.

NotBacon

Regardless what samsung do to touchwiz, people who are emotionally invested to their bias, won't bother with with touchwiz no matter how good it gets....

I want to quote Faceless.......

Or people could just buy what makes them happy, but that might be a little too complicated.

If I'm samsung I do 2 things. Continue making the Note series exactly as you make it. Touchwiz is still ugly as fuck but at least it offers a useful features for note/s-pen users. Secondly, for the galaxy line I'd pivot into making it an affordable (off contract) flagship to try and not lose the game to xiaomi and oppo and zte and every other chinese company.

Samsung recently discontinuing the galaxy alpha says it all. They're losing the premium battle. Basically all android manufacturers are. Apple has that game hemmed up. You can still make good products at affordable prices. You can re-skin touchwiz, make the screen have higher rez and so on but that won't suddenly make people want to get the phones again.

Also on the affordable flagship release both stock and touchwiz editions, same price.

In reality though they'll release the same phones with bigger badder specs and reskin touchwiz and continue to see a staggering decline across their entire flagship lineup.

NotBacon

If I'm samsung I do 2 things. Continue making the Note series exactly as you make it. Touchwiz is still ugly as fuck but at least it offers a useful features for note/s-pen users. Secondly, for the galaxy line I'd pivot into making it an affordable (off contract) flagship to try and not lose the game to xiaomi and oppo and zte and every other chinese company.

Samsung recently discontinuing the galaxy alpha says it all. They're losing the premium battle. Basically all android manufacturers are. Apple has that game hemmed up. You can still make good products at affordable prices. You can re-skin touchwiz, make the screen have higher rez and so on but that won't suddenly make people want to get the phones again.

Also on the affordable flagship release both stock and touchwiz editions, same price.

In reality though they'll release the same phones with bigger badder specs and reskin touchwiz and continue to see a staggering decline across their entire flagship lineup.

They really do have some genuine talent and ideas, but oh boy is it the worst execution. It's sad. If I hear one more person say Android sucks because they used an S4/5 and went to iPhone 6 I'm gonna go bonkers.

They really do have some genuine talent and ideas, but oh boy is it the worst execution. It's sad. If I hear one more person say Android sucks because they used an S4/5 and went to iPhone 6 I'm gonna go bonkers.
As someone who worked tech support for wireless in a large telecom company I can't even begin to tell you how many Samsung phone isssues all stemming from weird toiuchwiz shit and how many times I heard I shouldnhgave just got an iPhone. Explains why they are plummeting. Ah well. Natural selection is cool with me.

But it was frustrating. I'm like no android is good trust me :(

TouchWiz or not, I'd still take it over iOS. Android is the superior OS by quite a margin, in my opinion, and iOS just doesn't allow me to do as much as I can with Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom