• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

XBP

Spilled coffee on my moto g today. Although I turned the device off immediately and cleaned it thoroughly I think I shouldn't have powered on the thing after waiting just 3 hours. Although everything seemed to be working while it was on I'm not sure if any of the coffee went inside the device or not.

Currently its turned off and I'll wait 12-14 hours to power it on again. Hopefully I dont have a buy a new phone just 1 month after getting this.

NotBacon

My nexus 9 battery. 1 hour 5 mins or so of screen on time. Lowest brightness. Lol. Just chrome. No videos.

There is definitely a mobile chrome issue that needs attention. It doesn't affect me personally, it barely even registers in my stats, but it seems like a lot of people are getting volta robbed from them by mobile chrome.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Woah, I didn't even know this existed. This looks really cool! It looks a lot thicker than a spare battery though, the phone+charger would not fit in my skinny jeans lol. And doesn't charging the phone irregularly mess up the battery? I can't imagine charging your battery from 50% to 55%, dropping to 37% and going to 68% etc. is going to be good for the battery.

Actually, it is good. These batteries are rated for a certain number of charge cycles until they drop below 80% of their original battery life (I think), where one cycle is a full drain and recharge when added up. It doesn't matter much, if it all, whether that's one full cycle from 100% to 0% (well, these batteries actually never go that low) and back, or if it's ten 10% drains and recharges. Also, these batteries don't like being maxed out all the time, in either direction (fully draining it would actually kill it, but the tech built into them and our phones make sure they pretend to be empty way before that actually happens). They're at their most healthy at around an 80% charge, I believe. So giving it a bit of juice every now and then is actually better than doing full continuous charge cycles.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Spilled coffee on my moto g today. Although I turned the device off immediately and cleaned it thoroughly I think I shouldn't have powered on the thing after waiting just 3 hours. Although everything seemed to be working while it was on I'm not sure if any of the coffee went inside the device or not.

Currently its turned off and I'll wait 12-14 hours to power it on again. Hopefully I dont have a buy a new phone just 1 month after getting this.
Did you buy it with a credit card? Some have 90 day accident insurance.

There is definitely a mobile chrome issue that needs attention. It doesn't affect me personally, it barely even registers in my stats, but it seems like a lot of people are getting volta robbed from them by mobile chrome.
mobile chrome has always been a battery destroyer for me, not sure what google is doing with it or about it. Tonight I'm gonna test web browsing from 100%, same thing just browsing gaf no videos or anything on dolphin browser this time just to see what happens.

I like chrome better so I'll live with it till google fixes it but it'll be interesting if there is a big difference.

Majine

Banned
Does Google not give a shit about Blogger/Blogspot anymore? The app looks like it's from 2007, much less material design-y.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hmm, my Nexus 10 wont turn on. I used it a few nights ago, then closed the magnetic cover. Now it won't come on, although the white glow LED is going on as if there's a notification. Tried holding power for minutes, tried power+the volumes, tried charging overnight, but no change. Can't quite pull the battery for a reset, and now with Lollipop on there, "standby" could take weeks to drain and kill the battery completely. Any ideas?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Hmm, my Nexus 10 wont turn on. I used it a few nights ago, then closed the magnetic cover. Now it won't come on, although the white glow LED is going on as if there's a notification. Tried holding power for minutes, tried power+the volumes, tried charging overnight, but no change. Can't quite pull the battery for a reset, and now with Lollipop on there, "standby" could take weeks to drain and kill the battery completely. Any ideas?

You'll have to keep screwing around with the power and volume keys. Try it plugged and unplugged. Or let the battery die and give it another shot in a couple days.

kIdMuScLe

Do a ADB reboot command

Wreav

Banned
Geez, the chamfered edges on the Note are softer metal than the iPhone 5s. Already got a sizeable dent near the earpiece =(

Wreav

Banned
Of the phones I've tried

Droid Turbo
Note 4
Moto X 2014 (would have been phone of the year if it had the Turbo's battery)

Then well below those are
Galaxy S5
M8

Ultimately my phone of the year is the iPhone 6. Best overall package that, combined, the Turbo and Moto X could have matched had the best features from each been combined into a single phone.

Wreav

Banned
That awkward moment when your mom, who has a 3'' Gingerbread Boost Mobile phone claims that she "knows Android phones".

1512.gif

edit: found an article that sums up how I'm feeling about Android this year.

Where do we go from here? I honestly don’t know. I’d like to wait and see where Google takes Android 5.0 in the next couple of months. I love the freedom Android gives me, and I love that I can set up my phone to match my own ideal workflow.

But you know what? I’m also tired of having to micromanage my phone just for the benefits of that freedom. This...is something Google should’ve worked out years ago; not something I’m still fighting as we reach the end of 2014.

Wreav

Banned
Aaaaaand we have the S6 to laugh at now. Guess the 5.5'' rumor had some weight, although that looks closer to 5.2-5.3'' to me. I simply don't understand why the bezels are back in HTC territory.

S6-leaks-2.jpg

S6-leaks.jpg

Bboy AJ

That awkward moment when your mom, who has a 3'' Gingerbread Boost Mobile phone claims that she "knows Android phones".

http://replygif.net/i/1512.gif[/MG]

edit: [URL="http://www.writingabouttech.com/?p=904"]found an article that sums up how I'm feeling about Android this year.[/URL][/QUOTE]
You don't have to micro manage android. You only do so because you choose to.

well you do have to do it when things are running rampant and you're trying to figure out what it is and whatnot, and it happens often. If battery life were good on whatever device you own then you don't really have to care but otherwise, gotta be on top of it. And that's just speaking about battery.

It all depends though.

Bboy AJ

well you do have to do it when things are running rampant and you're trying to figure out what it is and whatnot, and it happens often. If battery life were good on whatever device you own then you don't really have to care but otherwise, gotta be on top of it. And that's just speaking about battery.

It all depends though.
That's an odd case and those odd cases happen on iOS, too. There's nothing to really micromanage unless you want to.

Wreav

Banned
Bulllllllllshit. Carrier bloat, more frequent battery issues, needing multiple 3rd party apps to fill holes left by stock functionality, no good stock backup and restoration solution. The list goes on and on.

NotBacon

Droid Life's Top 5 Android phones of 2014

1. Moto X 2014
2. Note 4
3. Droid Turbo
4. Z3c
5. Oneplus One

B-b-but battery backpack.....

Aaaaaand we have the S6 to laugh at now. Guess the 5.5'' rumor had some weight, although that looks closer to 5.2-5.3'' to me. I simply don't understand why the bezels are back in HTC territory.

Sigh. 2 steps back.

Yep. I actually cringe every time someone is boasting about their ROM/tweaks/hacks around newcomers. This perpetuates the mentality that Android is only for tweaking and fiddling and if you want something that "just works" you go iPhone. Which isn't true anymore.

The M8 is the fastest Android phone I've ever used.

Moto X is faster

MKBHD agrees

Edit: M8 does have lower touch latency tho

j-wood

I don't understand how the Moto X could be rated higher than the Droid Turbo.

Aside from choosing your own colors, they are basically the same size and feel, the same OS, but the Turbo has better specs (in every way) and a way better battery. Plus, the Turbo doesn't have the speaker grills that protroud OUT from the phone. I couldn't stand that when I picked up an X

Wreav

Banned

Aside from choosing your own colors, they are basically the same size and feel, the same OS, but the Turbo has better specs (in every way) and a way better battery. Plus, the Turbo doesn't have the speaker grills that protroud OUT from the phone. I couldn't stand that when I picked up an X

The Moto X is considerably better looking IMO, infinitely more customizable with premium materials that rival Apple build quality. The raised grills protect the screen when it's placed face down, which is a big plus for me. The dimple on the X significantly helps ergonomics over the Turbo.

It IS true that the Turbo goes HAM in the spec game compared to the X, though.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face

Doesn't the Turbo have an improved camera, too?

Everyone and their moms uses a sony sensor yet apple still killin everyone. People gotta step their processing software game up, that's where all the differences are. Sony especially should feel great dishonour and shame.

asdad123

So I got a chance to get a nexus 6 for "free". I switched plans to the ATT mobile share and financed the phone through them for $24 per month, but instead of paying $40 per month for the line I'm paying $15 so it's the same thing either way.

I'm coming from a 6+ and will either keep the nexus or this depending how I like it. What're some tips for it? I wanted the note 4, however ATT wouldn't let me order it for some reason.

Wreav

Banned
Yep. The fact that Apple can get away with their paltry 8MP Sony camera shows just how advanced the photo processing is on the A6-8 chips.

Darker

Banned
Sorry if this is the wrong thread but:

(Happy) Z2 user but have a problem with one thing; the 'Swipe to Unlock' text on the lockscreen is always there with no option to turn it off (I think I'm on 4.4.4). I've looked for solutions, but they involve downloading ROM hacks (??) or internal system changes (???) or the GoldenEye, Bond (????) etc.

Anyone have any solutions/explanations?

Thanks

Hasney

Liking this Kindle Fire HDX more than I thought I would... But good Christ I needed to get Google Play store on there asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom