• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course they are fake. Lollipop won't look the same on the S6. They will revamp the interface since it will be the first phone that starts with Lollipop from them. Plus it will have different wallpapers.

In my head I'm just picturing the S6 as having the Note 4's physical design with a smaller screen. Basically just an in-between for the Alpha and the Note 4. Maybe a little boring/predictable, but I really love that design and it has felt great every time I've played with one in stores, so that's why I'm hoping they stick with that. Maybe make it really thin, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice the battery life too much.

In terms of features, all I really want (other than the obvious good battery life and performance) would be for it to have front facing speakers. They do that then it might be my next phone.
Or if HTC would add a removable battery and reduce the bezel for the next M8.

Global Android hardware profits drop...a lot...in 2014 mostly in part to Samsung and Sony losing big.

Goes with what I've been saying about how Android manufacturers are basically screwed and the chinese invasion is happening and Google is probably like :S

2015 is gonna be a really interesting year on all fronts.

That's probably more because people are keeping their phones longer as there isn't really a need to upgrade. It is definitely a case of diminishing returns in the Android phone market and there aren't really any demanding apps or games that take advantage of the latest technology, unlike in IOS.

That's probably more because people are keeping their phones longer as there isn't really a need to upgrade. It is definitely a case of diminishing returns in the Android phone market and there aren't really any demanding apps or games that take advantage of the latest technology, unlike in IOS.
nah I don't believe that, it's just an excuse. Fact is people aren't paying money for expensive android phones. Other than NA most android phones sold are the extremely low margine ones like Xiaomi. And inside NA the players making all the profit like samsung mostly have been plummeting. People always make excuses. First for the S4 not selling as well people were hanging on to their S3s (though it never stops from each iphone outselling the last), and then the S5 comes out and and they sell even less and the fall continues....there's no real excuse in NA given 2 year contracts and whatnot.

Fact is people are either getting iphones or cheap ass phones with marginal profits. Android is in a mad interesting place business wise. I wonder what google is going to do, as the article says I doubt they're pleased but what can they do really. Samsung is lucky that they're so big they can afford the Ls. They'll be around a long time regardless.

Hasney

Nah, there's not much taking advantage of iOS either outside of some stage things now and again. There's barely any reason for iPhone users to upgrade every year, they just do.

Toki767

Nah, there's not much taking advantage of iOS either outside of some stage things now and again. There's barely any reason for iPhone users to upgrade every year, they just do.

Well this year they had a reason due to bigger size. Even next year they'll have a reason due to 5S owners on 2 year contracts wanting a bigger size.

So Apple has 2 years to come up with something new for the iPhone 7.

Google should enter the high end phone market and show their partners how it's done.
The Nexus Pixel™

Only $2000 off contract.

Seriously though I'd get a 100% google phone if it was good. I do find it odd that they'd make the pixel but wouldn't go at a phone. I guess it is more complicated though.

The Nexus Pixel™

Only $2000 off contract.

Seriously though I'd get a 100% google phone if it was good. I do find it odd that they'd make the pixel but wouldn't go at a phone. I guess it is more complicated though.

How many months would it take for them to ship it once you order it from the Play Store?

NotBacon

I'm coming from a 6+ and will either keep the nexus or this depending how I like it. What're some tips for it?

Not sure what you're looking for, it works perfectly out of the box.

Google should enter the high end phone market and show their partners how it's done.

Nexus 6 says hi.

They are so close. They made the ultimate phone, and then they completely fuck up the launch. It's not even front and center at kiosks. It's not even in AT&T stores. I always got the dumbfounded look and "do you mean iPhone 6?". If you're going to launch on all major carriers, and you make the perfect fucking phone, it needs a proper fucking launch with actual ads and showcase displays.

Google could learn a thing or two from Samsung.
/rant

I am 100% positive, and I'm pretty sure there were reports recently backing me up that google didn't have much to do with the nexus 6. It was a motorola phone that was repurposed into a nexus phone in shorter notice. Usually they're involved with the design process and whatnot throughout from design to release.

This time it was more like "we have no nexus phone". and Motorola was like we have this phablet we want to release...why not. Explains the higher price, the selling strategy, etc...

Also explains why motorola doesn't seem to care much about it, google doesn't either. They release it on all carriers but don't really push it. That was probably Motorola's choice though to price it for carrier selling. Regardless, like Jazzy said, pixel was made by google! Full google phone pls!

edit: Ah here was the story, by one of the most legit people no less:

PSA: The Nexus 6 is /still/ dead.

Plans in this industry change ALL THE TIME. The original handset to have carried the 6 moniker was in fact killed off earlier this year, an LG device which was then set to be re-purposed as that OEM's first Android Silver offering (an initiative also deadpooled for now, it seems). Sort of how the current 6 is likely a so-called Moto S re-engineered into a Nexus.

It's only a nexus phone in that it runs stock.

markot

Banned
I am 100% positive, and I'm pretty sure there were reports recently backing me up that google didn't have much to do with the nexus 6. It was a motorola phone that was repurposed into a nexus phone in shorter notice. Usually they're involved with the design process and whatnot throughout from design to release.

This time it was more like "we have no nexus phone". and Motorola was like we have this phablet we want to release...why not. Explains the higher price, the selling strategy, etc...

Also explains why motorola doesn't seem to care much about it, google doesn't either. They release it on all carriers but don't really push it. That was probably Motorola's choice though to price it for carrier selling. Regardless, like Jazzy said, pixel was made by google! Full google phone pls!

Then what about the tablet?!?!

NotBacon

I thought this was common knowledge? Android Silver wasn't exactly a secret and the N6 falls in line with the Silver strategy, but it still doesn't explain the launch fuck up.

I think this brings up another question: what exactly defines a Nexus?
(inb4 Nexus 4/5 camera and battery)

Sch1sm

I thought this was common knowledge? Android Silver wasn't exactly a secret and the N6 falls in line with the Silver strategy, but it still doesn't explain the launch fuck up.

Collapsing backs and peeled off letters.

But the moto nexus isn't part ofnthr silver program. What that quote is saying is thatbthr silver program was totally scrapped so they just repurposed a moto phone into a nexus and that was that. So it wasn't a silver phone. Wasn't a nexus phone in all ways. It was just a Motorola phablet Google play edition basically.

I wanna see the lg phone. Also the launch sucked because Google launches never go well lol.

Also a nexus to me is a phone where google was involved with the process from the very beginning. Including design of the phone. Software optimized for the device. Affordable off contract price to make it accessible for as many developers as possible. Last point is debatable but google has too be involved every step of the way.

XBP

Did you buy it with a credit card? Some have 90 day accident insurance.

I did but my credit card is one of those really basic ones which doesn't give me anything. I got it a year ago to improve my credit score. I did power on the device after keeping it in a bag of rice for 12 hours. Seems to be working fine so far, charged it and everything. Hopefully it stays that way.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Hi, guys

Anyone knows how to get an Inbox by Gmail invite? I just downloaded the app but it says invitation is needed for activation.

jey_16

Banned
those S6 pics aren't too bad....back looks like brushed metal although not sure if you can have a metal removable cover?

what would the S6 have to be for you to buy it? I don't see that much change in terms of hardware unless they swap to a unibody construction like HTC so its basically going to be a smaller Note 4. So that just leaves the software....

terrier

it is not that easy. Some brands have that aura, like apple has. Not sure why, because really, while iphone is a well built device and there was a time that was ahead of competition, that isn't true anymore. I mean they have a good product, but that is to be expected at that premium price. It reminds me how sony does not know why ps4 has been selling so well. Sometimes market is weird, and apple has something intangible that android manufacturers do not have, or only samsung had and now seems to be loosing, mainly due to competition.
Hopefully this will change over time, iphone 6 has 'renewed' the interest in them since they didn't have big phones that are so common these days, but that won't last forever. In fact I6+ doesn't do anything relevant in the phablet market. Besides being an iphone which is like having a bmw instead of an opel.

HTC tried but wasn't succesful.

My top pics for this year phones would be :

1- Note4
2- Z3 / Z3C
3- Nexus 6
4- Iphone 6
5- Moto G

Ultimadrago

Yeah, I saw that one earlier and was getting some very mixed messages.

- Compatible with all HTC smartphones,

- the 15W travel charger powers up certain HTC models 40% faster than standard chargers* by using Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 2.0 technology.

The Desire 816 isn't listed under the "Compatible Smartphones" list on the page, yet it says that it's compatible with all HTC smartphones in the description. I don't know what to believe!

bms2993

Banned
First mod I've done to using edits from source and smali! Google Now launcher now has five columns instead of four which is what it normally comes with. :3 Feels good, man.
Screenshot_2014-12-31-15-08-58.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom