• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I've been very happy with my Moto G, though it isn't as peppy as my old Nexus 4.I presume this is due to having half the RAM.

On a similar note, I've been thinking about the generational differences in the Moto G line. Now, I have the G1 version on Boost mobile here in the states. To my understanding the G2 has the exact same innards, just with a bigger screen and two speakers. Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't this make it actually run shittier than the previous year's model?

Having an extra speaker would burn the battery just slightly faster, and having a bigger screen to push pixels around on with the same processor and RAM would just give it a more difficult job, right?

It just kind of struck me as silly. Maybe I'm wrong, but is a slightly bigger screen worth slightly shittier performance to some people? That's basically how it would shake out to generation 2 owners, right? The whole situation just seems absurd to me!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Same screen res, but just bigger.

The big thing will be when we get a true next gen Moto G or equivalent.

When we start getting decent proc + 2 gigs of RAM in $200 on under phones it's game over.

I've been very happy with my Moto G, though it isn't as peppy as my old Nexus 4.I presume this is due to having half the RAM.

On a similar note, I've been thinking about the generational differences in the Moto G line. Now, I have the G1 version on Boost mobile here in the states. To my understanding the G2 has the exact same innards, just with a bigger screen and two speakers. Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't this make it actually run shittier than the previous year's model?

Having an extra speaker would burn the battery just slightly faster, and having a bigger screen to push pixels around on with the same processor and RAM would just give it a more difficult job, right?

It just kind of struck me as silly. Maybe I'm wrong, but is a slightly bigger screen worth slightly shittier performance to some people? That's basically how it would shake out to generation 2 owners, right? The whole situation just seems absurd to me!
http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Motorola-Moto-G-2014-vs-Moto-G-2013_id3792

all your answers lie in that couple pager

not worth the upgrade
. If you want a better phone for cheap as well try to find a deal on last years moto x. That is worth it.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Same screen res, but just bigger.

The big thing will be when we get a true next gen Moto G or equivalent.

When we start getting decent proc + 2 gigs of RAM in $200 on under phones it's game over.

Ah, thank you for clearing that up! Sort of a 3DS/3DSXL situation. I'm very much looking forward to the far-flung future phone of which you speak. I really like my Moto G, but my Nexus 4 did everything I needed without a single hitch. My Moto G takes just a sec to load things up. Sometimes my homescreen icons take a half a second to load or so. I'm guessing that's all down to RAM.

2Gb seems to be the sweet spot. To be fair, I only paid $65 USD for the G1 Moto G so I'm incredibly happy with it. Hell, I bought my girlfriend a Moto E for Christmas for $100 since they didn't have the G on her carrier. Moto G is a great daily driver, but yeah, 2Gb of RAM will be a game changer in the budget market.

wilflare

how many apps do you guys actually use? I'm trying to declutter my Android in 2015

Flipboard and Press are on the chopping board.

Probably EvolveSMS as well. The Lollipop thread recommended Google Messenger. Hangouts seems good but a little laggy on my Note3... (how do we archive messages on Hangouts anyway)

how many apps do you guys actually use? I'm trying to declutter my Android in 2015

Probably EvolveSMS as well. The Lollipop thread recommended Google Messenger. Hangouts seems good but a little laggy on my Note3... (how do we archive messages on Hangouts anyway)
I barely use any apps on android for some reason.

Probably because you have an iPhone.
even my nexus 9 has like...nothing on it lol. For android I always seem to stick to the necessities. I don't know.

Every time I go into the play store I don't often find something I wanna give a go but in the app store I usually find at least 1 thing I want to try out. It's weird.

bYuyGmK.png

htc nexus phone confirmed woot.

Vanillalite

Honestly outside of Google Apps I've cut down. A have a game or two and Netflix/HBO Go/Xfinity/WatchESPN really nothing else I use on a regular basis.

I just can't see buying a HTC phone unless they make some big changes. A One Plus 2 at $350 with Snapdragon 810, 3gb ram, 64gb storage, and 1440p screen? I'm all in.

Sch1sm

'cause the screen real estate is really doing something for us at the end of the day. Give me back the OG iPhone sizes. I don't need more than that. Fit so perfectly in my hand.

Sid

I'm using ACdisplay but pressing the home button unlocks the phone,WTF? also is there a way to disable system notifications so that I can only use heads-up notifications as the main app?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If only Android would address large screens by using them. Dual apps or something. I'd be so happy.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Heh, I remember that being a selling point to me for my Galaxy S4. 21 months in and still not used it.
I use it all the time on my Note 4. It's so fucking awesome using whatsapp or any other app, and click a YouTube link and not be taken out of whatsapp to see the video since it'll open in split view. So good.

Hasney

I use it all the time on my Note 4. It's so fucking awesome using whatsapp or any other app, and click a YouTube link and not be taken out of whatsapp to see the video since it'll open in split view. So good.

Ah, it ended up being limited to select Samsung apps on the S4.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Does it work for every app on the Note 4? So I could have Chrome on one side and Hangouts on the other?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Does it work for every app on the Note 4? So I could have Chrome on one side and Hangouts on the other?
Both (chrome and hangouts) are possible. And not all the apps are supported, like Netflix. However, what I've found is that if I open up Netflix and hold the back key to open up the multiwindow apps, I can have split view with Netflix even though it isn't listen on the supported apps.

EDIT: I just noticed that Netflix is supported :lol

I just didn't have it on the list of apps fucking lol my bad.

Bboy AJ

Both (chrome and hangouts) are possible. And not all the apps are supported, like Netflix. However, what I've found is that if I open up Netflix and hold the back key to open up the multiwindow apps, I can have split view with Netflix even though it isn't listen on the supported apps.

EDIT: I just noticed that Netflix is supported :lol

I just didn't have it on the list of apps fucking lol my bad.
Another marble in the Galaxy Note 4.5 jar. Still unsure whether to get it or Nexus 6.

If only Android would address large screens by using them. Dual apps or something. I'd be so happy.
at least we know they are working on split screen. I bet they have that done by the time they release a new tablet or maybe they'll just stick to the nexus 9 for another year. Either way they'll need to showcase it on a tablet I bet.

works with Chrome and Hangouts and most Google and Samsung apps. devs can add support for it by adding a few lines to their manifest, quite a few apps i use like AndChat, Firefox, OneNote, FriendCaster Pro, MX Player Pro and Root Explorer support it.

or you can just force it to work with every app if you root and apply a mod...

Bboy AJ

works with Chrome and Hangouts and most Google and Samsung apps. devs can add support for it by adding a few lines to their manifest, quite a few apps i use like AndChat, Firefox, OneNote, FriendCaster Pro, MX Player Pro and Root Explorer support it.

or you can just force it to work with every app if you root and apply a mod...
Damn. So tempting to get the new Note 4.5.

Vanillalite

YMMV, but I can do that on my LG G3 except I don't. Maybe the extra .2" helps on the note, but I doubt it. Non tablet screens even at the phablet level just aren't big enough for me to want to really use split screen.

Bboy AJ

YMMV, but I can do that on my LG G3 except I don't. Maybe the extra .2" helps on the note, but I doubt it. Non tablet screens even at the phablet level just aren't big enough for me to want to really use split screen.

Good point. It's more of an issue on my tablet. I just wish messaging and web browsing were made to be a lot more seamless. I should be able to do both simultaneously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom