• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

Yes I use the play music app, so glad I put all my music into the cloud with it, having access to all my music at work and while out and about without having to buy a memory card is great.
But I mean local. Having it on your phone or SD card. And for some reason I think you know that I knew that...

It's super inconvenient having it in the cloud when out and about all over the world. I hate it and then oops no signal in the airplane.

Hasney

But I mean local. Having it on your phone or SD card. And for some reason I think you know that I knew that...

It's super inconvenient having it in the cloud when out and about all over the world. I hate it and then oops no signal in the airplane.

It usually downloads 100 or so tracks for me, so I like it a lot. Unlimited access to music 90% of the time and then an interesting mix like an ipod Shuffle when I have to flick it to Downloaded Only.

Pachimari

It usually downloads 100 or so tracks for me, so I like it a lot. Unlimited access to music 90% of the time and then an interesting mix like an ipod Shuffle when I have to flick it to Downloaded Only.
Yeah it's all fine but I were talking about local content. Having it on a SD card. It brings peace of mind.

Hasney

Think I've go about 40 albums on the SD Card permanently . Easiest way I found was to download them straight from Google Play once I'd uploaded them, although I'm pretty sure it organises them if you've got your id3 tags setup properly on the SD Card.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah it's all fine but I were talking about local content. Having it on a SD card. It brings peace of mind.

You know you can manually save (pin) whatever you want from the cloud service so that it's available locally, right? That's what I do (at home, on Wi-Fi) with the stuff I know I'm gonna want to listen to. Then I stream stuff when I'm in the mood for something else, which is usually no issue for me.

But if you really want to manually move files back and forth, the file structure doesn't really matter as it uses your ID3 tags to build your library. Just put everything in a folder called "music" in the root of your SD card, then it can look like whatever in there. I always use the "Artist/Album/Song.mp3" structure though, as I like neatly organized files.

Ah my fault, misread your post. Yea if you travel and don't have signal it's not so good.

I just opened the Store app to update an app and noticed that the nice hambruger-to-arrow animation was basically killed by that new slide in menu. Why would anyone do that? RIP Material Design.

Groof

I just opened the Store app to update an app and noticed that the nice hambruger-to-arrow animation was basically killed by that new slide in menu. Why would anyone do that? RIP Material Design.

It was always meant to be this way. The spinning arrow was made for backwards compatibility and submenus. In the MD guidelines it states that the slide out menu is supposed to cover the entire screen, even the status bar.

It was always meant to be this way. The spinning arrow was made for backwards compatibility and submenus. In the MD guidelines it states that the slide out menu is supposed to cover the entire screen, even the status bar.

That's a shame. I thought it was a nice detail.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Trying to decide on a new phone is tough.

The HTC M8 looks cool, but the camera is apparently poor. The Note 4 looks good too, but I hate TouchWiz.

Coming from the Nexus 5, I really just want something with better battery... and that's not laggy. I'm so tired of worrying about battery.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

The HTC M8 looks cool, but the camera is apparently poor. The Note 4 looks good too, but I hate TouchWiz.

Coming from the Nexus 5, I really just want something with better battery... and that's not laggy. I'm so tired of worrying about battery.
Same boat. Wait for CES.

no point in getting a phone now. Just wait for the 2015 flagships. I'm with you too. Battery + stock + not huge. All I'm asking for in 2015. Everything else can be just decent for all I care.

kharma45

I have decent hopes for the M9 as it sounds like HTC is ditching the rear ultrapixel cam. It was the only real knock I had against the M8.

Volotaire

Wait for Q1 flagships. LG, HTC, Samsung, ONO and Sony will all announce handsets.

I gave in and got a Nexus 6 in India. Will be delivered to my business Jan 7th.

Hopefully I like it. I love my Nexus 5 with 5.0 currently.

I really hope Google delivers with the next Nexus, 5.6 inch screen, same resolution as N6, bigger battery, better camera with better software, good speakers.

Reckoner

sup

NIE3SSk.jpg

edit: I just received my phone and you guys telling everyone to wait until the next flagships. heartless

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Same boat. Wait for CES.

no point in getting a phone now. Just wait for the 2015 flagships. I'm with you too. Battery + stock + not huge. All I'm asking for in 2015. Everything else can be just decent for all I care.

I have decent hopes for the M9 as it sounds like HTC is ditching the rear ultrapixel cam. It was the only real knock I had against the M8.

Wait for Q1 flagships. LG, HTC, Samsung, ONO and Sony will all announce handsets.

Yeah this is what I'm waiting for.

I'm stuck on contract until December 2015, but I want to cancel it early and switch to the corporate plan offered at work. Hopefully they'll have the new flag ships available for purchase, they got the iPhone 6 and Note 4 pretty fast.

Canadian Telecomms man :(.

Yeah this is what I'm waiting for.

I'm stuck on contract until December 2015, but I want to cancel it early and switch to the corporate plan offered at work. Hopefully they'll have the new flag ships available for purchase, they got the iPhone 6 and Note 4 pretty fast.

Canadian Telecomms man :(.

As a canadian I feel you. Sony phone we probably won't get right away but Samsung/apple are always quick with it. HTC is pretty quick as well in Canada for releases.

MrKnives

Is there any alternatives for Viral Popup? I like to listen music through youtube but I hate that you can't shut off your screen while doing so.
In Viral you can but it has some serious bugs and super annoying ads. (I know I could buy the premium) but I wonder if there are any free alternatives.
I know there is firetube but not sure if you can turn off your screen there.

Pachimari

I'm really thinking. Is there really not an app, that makes your movie collection on the phone somewhat presentable? Right now I have 3 of my movies in the Gallery app, but it looks like such a mess.

Isn't there something like the Plex app but for local movies?

You know you can manually save (pin) whatever you want from the cloud service so that it's available locally, right? That's what I do (at home, on Wi-Fi) with the stuff I know I'm gonna want to listen to. Then I stream stuff when I'm in the mood for something else, which is usually no issue for me.

But if you really want to manually move files back and forth, the file structure doesn't really matter as it uses your ID3 tags to build your library. Just put everything in a folder called "music" in the root of your SD card, then it can look like whatever in there. I always use the "Artist/Album/Song.mp3" structure though, as I like neatly organized files.

Yeah that's how I wanna structure it as well just for the sake of structure. But where do I find the ID3 tags?

vdlow

I'm really thinking. Is there really not an app, that makes your movie collection on the phone somewhat presentable? Right now I have 3 of my movies in the Gallery app, but it looks like such a mess.

Yeah that's how I wanna structure it as well just for the sake of structure. But where do I find the ID3 tags?

Maybe Mizuu will fit your needs.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...izuu-gets-material-3-0-makeover-becomes-free/

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Kodi (XBMC) exists for Android, but I don't know about using that on a phone. I use MX Player for videos.

ID3 tags are embedded into each MP3 file. If you change the artist or title or whatever of a song in something like Windows Media Player, what you're actually changing is the ID3 tag. And that's what's then displayed in most media players. File names and folder structure usually don't matter at all. To view all ID3 info for a bunch of files and batch update them, MP3Tag is a nice tool.

Pachimari

I downloaded this but it seems like it can only find movies stored on the phone itself, and not from a SD card?

Kodi (XBMC) exists for Android, but I don't know about using that on a phone. I use MX Player for videos.

ID3 tags are embedded into each MP3 file. If you change the artist or title or whatever of a song in something like Windows Media Player, what you're actually changing is the ID3 tag. And that's what's then displayed in most media players. File names and folder structure usually don't matter at all. To view all ID3 info for a bunch of files and batch update them, MP3Tag is a nice tool.

I will look into this, thank you.

wilflare

someone recommend a good Contacts app please (that allows you to customize contacts display picture and save them properly)

and a Gallery app that is fast and allows for some form of Cloud Backup!

so tired of the Note3's default apps :/

SimleuqiR

someone recommend a good Contacts app please (that allows you to customize contacts display picture and save them properly)

Quick Pic is hands down the best gallery app. I've been using it since the Gingerbread days. The developer is always making it better.

Recently they release a beta version that includes Cloud Back up:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...-adds-colorful-themes-automatic-cloud-backup/

Archos-Diamond.jpg

Archos has a new range of devices to unveil at this year’s CES, all capable of connecting to 4G LTE networks and accessing Google’s services. Archos’ new smartphone, the 50 Diamond, brings an impressive spec list, coupled with great pricing.

The 50 Diamond features a Qualcomm-made Snapdragon 615 octa-core processor, 2GB of RAM, 5″ Full-HD display, 16MP rear-facing shooter, 8MP front-facing camera, dual-SIM setup, microSD slot, 2700mAh battery, and run Android 4.4.4 with zero skins on top. This device may sound like a dream to a few potential buyers, and for this, Archos has priced the 50 Diamond at under $200.

As for tablets, Archos has one model, in three sizes. The Helium 4G comes in 7.0″, 8.0″, and 10.1″ size options, featuring identical specs. This range of tablets feature a quad-core processor, sub-HD IPS displays, 1GB of RAM, 4G LTE connectivity, rear and front-facing cameras, Bluetooth, microSD card slots, and all run Android 4.4+ with zero skin.

The price? Archos’ press release claims the smallest tablet, the 7.0″ model, will retail at $80. The 10.1″ model will be listed at $150.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

You don't get the default Google Contacts app at all? Too bad, it's great IMO. Unfortunately it's one of the few things they haven't yet broken out of Android and put on the Play Store.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
That Archos is a great phone for a market I'm not in. But it's great news IMO. Big battery, too.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So guys this year just started. Make one or more predictions for future bragging rights. Could be anything android. I'll start with....next nexus phone will be made by HTC and go back to being decently priced off contract.

Also LG will somehow jump the shark trying to one up Samsung.

Project Thunder will save us from our battery woes.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Looks better than the G to me. It'll be my new recommendation.
Oh yeah, looks worlds better. I bought a first generation G for $65 but this definitely looks like the one to beat for a$200 phone off contract.

Unless there's some horrible thing wrong with it we can't know until its release.

So guys this year just started. Make one or more predictions for future bragging rights. Could be anything android. I'll start with....next nexus phone will be made by HTC and go back to being decently priced off contract.

Also LG will somehow jump the shark trying to one up Samsung.
Sony's version of lollipop will be incredibly close to stock.

Oh please...I rather have the xperia home and Sony optimization than stock android...

Sony already proved that they can optimize battery life....while Google gives empty promises...Project Volta was a dud..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom