• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilflare

You don't get the default Google Contacts app at all? Too bad, it's great IMO. Unfortunately it's one of the few things they haven't yet broken out of Android and put on the Play Store.

nope. which is annoying :(
I don't know what's wrong - from time to time, my apps get "unlinked" from my contacts - meaning my SMS apps show numbers instead of the contact name

and the only way to fix that is to export all my contacts, delete all contacts and import them again

- doing that fixes the issue but causes all the display images to be downgraded into some low-res nonsense

Pachimari

What is the best screen recorder for Android? I looked at AZ Screen Recorder but it isn't compatible with LG G3.

I need it to primarily record when I play games.

Oh please...I rather have the xperia home and Sony optimization than stock android...

Sony already proved that they can optimize battery life....while Google gives empty promises...Project Volta was a dud..

Yes, because it has everything to do with Sony's magical software optimizations and not the fact that there is a small, low res display with a large battery...

Besides, Project Volta isn't all about to better battery life out of the box. It offers better scheduling that devs have to actually write their apps to specifically use.

Yes, because it has everything to do with Sony's magical software optimizations and not the fact that there is a small, low res display with a large battery...

Besides, Project Volta isn't all about to better battery life out of the box. It offers better scheduling that devs have to actually write their apps to specifically use.
What? The Xperia Z3 does not have a small screen or low resolution display. 5.2 display and at 1080p is in line with other flagship. Don't be mad Sony a phone with excellent battery life.

Weren't you the one that blamed google when someone was tooting googles horn about how lollipop will magically make battery life better...

NotBacon was like the only poster that was preaching this. He had every right given the information google was giving.

It's not his fault google failed to achieve what they said they were going to do.

oh and since when 1080p of the Z3 low res??

Weren't you the one that blamed google when someone was tooting googles horn about how lollipop will magically make battery life better...

oh and since when 1080p of the Z3 low res??

Yeah, google has done a shitty job with Volta. That doesn't mean there are parts to it that aren't good and getting ignored which is why I mentioned the scheduling. It will take time to use them and people aren't realizing that.

I was specifically talking about the z3c since it is the Sony phone with best battery life.

Pretty much any android phone with a huge battery that isn't qHD is going to have good battery life now days. The z3 has a HUGE battery. Even the s5 has great battery life with its shitty skin.

Its not your Sony skin, its the hardware.

Yeah, google has done a shitty job with Volta. That doesn't mean there are parts to it that aren't good and getting ignored which is why I mentioned the scheduling. It will take time to use them and people aren't realizing that.

I was specifically talking about the z3c since it is the Sony phone with best battery life.

Pretty much any android phone with a huge battery that isn't qHD is going to have good battery life now days. The z3 has a HUGE battery. Even the s5 has great battery life with its shitty skin.

Its not your Sony skin, its the hardware.
It certainly has something to do with software optimizations. Nexus 6 and Note 4 has the same battery capacity and by all accounts, the Nexus 6 should have better battery life. But lo and behold, the Note 4 with Touch Wiz is the champ.

And the fact that Google even mentioned that Volta would improve battery life shows that good battery life coorelates with software optimizations.

The Z3c does have fantastic battery life but the Z3 is not far behind so it should not be left out.

NotBacon

Sony already proved that they can optimize battery life....while Google gives empty promises...Project Volta was a dud..

Is Project Volta even a real thing? I've been hearing about it since Android 4.2 as the next project after Butter. It clearly still hasn't materialized.

Looks at Nexus 6 with consistently insane battery life....
Looks back at GAF....

ksbp.gif

gcubed

It certainly has something to do with software optimizations. Nexus 6 and Note 4 has the same battery capacity and by all accounts, the Nexus 6 should have better battery life. But lo and behold, the Note 4 with Touch Wiz is the champ.

And the fact that Google even mentioned that Volta would improve battery life shows that good battery life coorelates with software optimizations.

The Z3c does have fantastic battery life but the Z3 is not far behind so it should not be left out.

We already know that the newer oleds that Samsung uses are much more energy efficient. Again, hardware.

]http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Archos-Diamond.jpg
Archos has a new range of devices to unveil at this year’s CES, all capable of connecting to 4G LTE networks and accessing Google’s services. Archos’ new smartphone, the 50 Diamond, brings an impressive spec list, coupled with great pricing.

The 50 Diamond features a Qualcomm-made Snapdragon 615 octa-core processor, 2GB of RAM, 5″ Full-HD display, 16MP rear-facing shooter, 8MP front-facing camera, dual-SIM setup, microSD slot, 2700mAh battery, and run Android 4.4.4 with zero skins on top. This device may sound like a dream to a few potential buyers, and for this, Archos has priced the 50 Diamond at under $200.

As for tablets, Archos has one model, in three sizes. The Helium 4G comes in 7.0″, 8.0″, and 10.1″ size options, featuring identical specs. This range of tablets feature a quad-core processor, sub-HD IPS displays, 1GB of RAM, 4G LTE connectivity, rear and front-facing cameras, Bluetooth, microSD card slots, and all run Android 4.4+ with zero skin.

The price? Archos’ press release claims the smallest tablet, the 7.0″ model, will retail at $80. The 10.1″ model will be listed at $150.
does Archos still not support their stuff at all post-release?

Oh please...I rather have the xperia home and Sony optimization than stock android...

this.

ILoveBish

Checked out the nexus 6 at the sprint store, i loved it other then the on screen buttons, which honestly, will take me a long time to get used to. And most of all, the buttons are right in the damn middle. Horrible for phone holders that clip onto the side. Coupled with no microsd or removable battery, im just waiting for the new 64-bit snapdragon 810 hotness. Please ces, deliver for us on super old devices.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Man I'm loving my new Droid Turbo. Been using it all day and the battery's at 65%. My old S3 would've had to have been recharged like twice at this point.

It gets around twice the battery life of the Nexus 5 (KK) with only an extra 900mah. There is definitely software optimization at play.

Nexus 5 was a battery life disaster. Despite it being updated to Android 5.0 it still has terrible battery life with no improvement. Meanwhile phones that are running Android 4.4 are matching the Nexus 6 in that department. I don't really see any correlation between Android OS and battery life.

Pachimari

Have still not gotten the Lollipop update for my LG G3. I guess I really had to wait till 2015. It's alright though. At least I haven't heard any complaints from those who already got it.

I think my Moto X battery is getting better. Got around 4.5 hours SoT the other day on most of the day being connected to LTE and about 40% brightness. Need more testing.

Hasney

It's been a while since I got addicted to a game like I have Dragon Age, but now I've noticed that Lollipop has given me much longer idle time than I usually get. Instead of grabbing it when I need a break from something, I only replied to texts and checked emails when they came in and I finished the day at 94% 19 hours later.

Not too shabby for an S4. Battery life is almost the same as 4.4 when in normal use for me though.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
If I'm only interested in Samsung's phablets, because I'm messing around with one I'm willing to tolerate TW, would I still be advised to wait for 2015's? I thought the Note 4 was released ~3 months ago.

Speaking of which, I know a lot of people dislike Samsung's camera sharpening and noise reduction, but are those hardware or software based? I mean, I know it's mostly post processed, but would using a different app than Samsung's produce different results?

I used Google's camera and there definition less color noise, for example.

Hasney

Well we're assuming the 810 will be a big difference maker, but since the Note is the last of the flagships each year, I wouldn't wait on that one.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Wait for CES, which is next week. Then decide.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It's January, I'm ready for lollipop on my m8. At&t stopping the 4.4.3 rollout and never bothering to resume it has me worried though. Also my duo camera seems to have stopped working, though I'm not sure if that's a big loss or not given how garbage the camera is to begin with.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Is it just me or does the Google Maps app for Android show less and less information about road conditions and accidents with every release? The same is also true for the desktop version but not as bad.

I can tell a lot of information is being omitted because you can switch to the classic version of Google Maps on your PC and you can get the info for accidents and road closures through your state's transportation authority website. At one point Google Maps used to have all the info from the states website plus some user info, but now my phone shows me absolutely nothing except from the real time color coded traffic conditions.

Are there any alternatives outside of Wayze?

Using Kit Kat on a Galaxy S3.

wilflare

trying to prepare my phone for a good clean-up/reformat

so what should I be doing?
installed Titanium Backup
Bought Google Drive 100GB (to upload photos, etc into the Cloud)

anything else I should be looking at for SMS, WhatsApp, etc

TransTrender

Gold Member
Waze information goes directly into maps. Are you in the US? I get accident data and road closures all the time
I'm in the US and it looks like none of the Waze stuff is making to my map. I can sign into Waze and see all sorts of stuff but my Google Map is empty.

I even checked some co-worker phones and nothing was showing up.

NotBacon

If I'm only interested in Samsung's phablets, because I'm messing around with one I'm willing to tolerate TW, would I still be advised to wait for 2015's? I thought the Note 4 was released ~3 months ago.

Speaking of which, I know a lot of people dislike Samsung's camera sharpening and noise reduction, but are those hardware or software based? I mean, I know it's mostly post processed, but would using a different app than Samsung's produce different results?

I used Google's camera and there definition less color noise, for example.

If by "willing to tolerate" means you like TouchWiz, then go for it. If you mean more: "I'd rather not", get the Nexus 6.

They're so close in specs/performance that the only difference you'll notice is the software. So if you want more phablet features and a next-gen screen, get the Note, if you want more of a simple/beautiful experience, go Nexus 6.

Also, CES is next week.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
NotBacon, are you going to make the CES thread?

TraBuch

Banned
Was looking through a 'Best Tablet' thread from mid-December and pretty much everyone recommended an iPad or a Nexus. Is the Galaxy Tab Pro not as good as its specs indicate or something? The 8.4 seems like a good deal at $200.

Pachimari

Thinking of reformatting my phone too and only install what I really need. Even though it feels like I have already done that. I just don't have anymore space on my phone.

I'm also trying to predict what the LG G4 will come with, as I'll probably upgrade to that one.

Snapdragon 810
5.5" QHD display
3100mah battery
16/32gb

Dunno what else.

Pooya

I only care about battery life at this point, everything else is well above good enough point for me these day. 9-10 hour SOT or get out. I hope S810 is not some rushed mess.

Was looking through a 'Best Tablet' thread from mid-December and pretty much everyone recommended an iPad or a Nexus. Is the Galaxy Tab Pro not as good as its specs indicate or something? The 8.4 seems like a good deal at $200.

Tab Pro and Tab S are excellent devices, but especially with tablets, people are zeroed in on Google/Apple and of course the occasional Sony rep who will mention the latest

WATERPROOF

DUSTPROOF

TRILUMINOUS DISPLAY

MOBILE BRAVIA ENGINE

Sony Tablet Z and duck out really quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom