• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

malyce

Thinking of reformatting my phone too and only install what I really need. Even though it feels like I have already done that. I just don't have anymore space on my phone.

I'm also trying to predict what the LG G4 will come with, as I'll probably upgrade to that one.

Snapdragon 810
5.5" QHD display
3100mah battery
16/32gb

Dunno what else.

gcubed

I'm in the US and it looks like none of the Waze stuff is making to my map. I can sign into Waze and see all sorts of stuff but my Google Map is empty.

I even checked some co-worker phones and nothing was showing up.

Well shit, a few days ago it was there but I just checked and I'm not getting anything in either, no road closings or accident alerts.

There has to be something going on.

hi guys

already posted about this in the android 5.0 announcement thread

woke up today and my phone was completely off and when i try to turn it on its in a boot loop

its stock android on nexus 5 on 5.0.1

i've tried recovery mode but its just a dead android with a red triangle with ! over him

is there any way to get it to switch on as normal without wiping data?

edit; phone was working fine yesterday

thanks

Guys I just recently discovered history podcasts on iTunes and I'm blown away, the thing is I would like to subscribe and listen to those podcasts on my Android phone.

Is that possible and if yes what app would you recommend me?
If that makes any difference I'm using Z3

wilflare

Guys I just recently discovered history podcasts on iTunes and I'm blown away, the thing is I would like to subscribe and listen to those podcasts on my Android phone.

PocketCasts seem to be a favorite

NotBacon

NotBacon, are you going to make the CES thread?

Yes
no

Tab Pro and Tab S are excellent devices, but especially with tablets, people are zeroed in on Google/Apple and of course the occasional Sony rep who will mention the latest

WATERPROOF

DUSTPROOF

TRILUMINOUS DISPLAY

MOBILE BRAVIA ENGINE

Sony Tablet Z and duck out really quickly.

You've gotta admit those Sony Z tablets are sexy as fuk though

I've tried a few and Pocket Casts is the best IMO.

Are there any with Material Design?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Are there any with Material Design?

I'm not quite sure, it's been at least a year since I've tried any other apps. After all the others I've tried all I care about is functionality since I had so many annoying problems with every other app. It's a nice looking app I think.

bms2993

Banned
Downgraded back to stock TouchWiz Kitkat. Battery took too much of a hit for me on CM12 being as it's not optimized just quite yet. Don't get me wrong.. it's solid, but just not quite enough for me yet. I just have to remember that Cyanogenmod source is built for many phones and TW is made for just one. Optimizations can be made for TW, but not quite as much for CM12.

Sch1sm

Thinking of reformatting my phone too and only install what I really need. Even though it feels like I have already done that. I just don't have anymore space on my phone.

I'm also trying to predict what the LG G4 will come with, as I'll probably upgrade to that one.

Snapdragon 810
5.5" QHD display
3100mah battery
16/32gb

Dunno what else.

G3 started at 32gb, no? Think they'll keep it as base.

Sch1sm

No. I have the 16GB, and the battery is terrible.

But I think only Europe got the both the 16GB and 32GB version.

Guess my phone company only had 32. I didn't even get the option when I bought it for my brother last January. 16 isn't doing anything for anyone anymore, though. Every flagship should just go bigger. Bigger storage, bigger battery. We all know they're going for bigger screens anyway.
;.;

Pachimari

Yeah, I don't know why I went with 16gb, when I had been on 32gb for years. And now I find it really hard to manage only 16gb. Always having to erase stuff I didn't want to delete.

So with the G4 I will go 32gb and use my 128gb SD card for media.

Toki767

Honestly I think the G4 might be 5.7" or so. LG has traditionally been making their G series the same screen size as the previous year's Note.

May even be 6" if the Nexus 6 is doing well.

Downgraded back to stock TouchWiz Kitkat. Battery took too much of a hit for me on CM12 being as it's not optimized just quite yet. Don't get me wrong.. it's solid, but just not quite enough for me yet. I just have to remember that Cyanogenmod source is built for many phones and TW is made for just one. Optimizations can be made for TW, but not quite as much for CM12.
How stable is it otherwise and how bad was the battery life?

snacknuts

we all knew her

+1 for Pocket Casts.

Hasney

Which phone? The one I have on Galaxy S4 now is perfect.

How stable is it otherwise and how bad was the battery life?

As above for me, battery life seems the same in heavy use, but idle battery is brilliant now for me in CM12. Guess it depends how optimised it is as different people are doing different devices.

Guys what calendar app are you using? The latest google calendar is showing just a small portion of a day and 5-days view is very bad compared to what it used to be.

So I need something that will sync with google and that shows your week (or 5 days) a bit better

So is there any word on when the Google (search) app v4 will be coming to non lollipop devices? It's really weird that Google hasn't updated the app for everyone yet.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Guys what calendar app are you using? The latest google calendar is showing just a small portion of a day and 5-days view is very bad compared to what it used to be.

So I need something that will sync with google and that shows your week (or 5 days) a bit better

Yup the new Google Calendar is terrible. I'm just using the stock calendar on my phone.

Reckoner

I have installed Sunrise but haven't messed much with it yet.

gcubed

I'm in the US and it looks like none of the Waze stuff is making to my map. I can sign into Waze and see all sorts of stuff but my Google Map is empty.

I even checked some co-worker phones and nothing was showing up.

This is really bothering me now, got stuck in traffic today and had no alerts since they don't have any on maps anymore

Pachimari

All I need is Today Calendar.

Can see the whole week, agenda, month etc. Or even calendar and appointments on the same page. Using the widget as well.

TransTrender

Gold Member
This is really bothering me now, got stuck in traffic today and had no alerts since they don't have any on maps anymore
Yup.
Somebody dropped the hammer somewhere on Google.
I'm sitting in Silverthorne, road is closed a mile to the west, the Loveland pass is closed, there are various lane closures on the I70, there are disabled cars everywhere, they are metering traffic through the tunnel, and there are lane closures in Idaho Springs and nothing, NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOTHING is showing on my map besides red for traffic.

gcubed

Yup.
Somebody dropped the hammer somewhere on Google.
I'm sitting in Silverthorne, road is closed a mile to the west, the Loveland pass is closed, there are various lane closures on the I70, there are disabled cars everywhere, they are metering traffic through the tunnel, and there are lane closures in Idaho Springs and nothing, NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOTHING is showing on my map besides red for traffic.

Google owns Waze. There is no hammer to be dropped

lol

erSUlOh.jpg

it's only when i sit down and reflect hours after i do something like use multi-window to help someone out with a hardware question that i realize just how good multi-window really is as a ferature. hope AOSP gets it someday. and S Beam.

it's only when i sit down and reflect hours after i do something like use multi-window to help someone out with a hardware question that i realize just how good multi-window really is as a ferature. hope AOSP gets it someday. and S Beam.
Multi window is great. It's the best feature Samsung has added. Comes in handy when watching a conference and reading/posting on GAF. Thankfully Google is confirmed working on it's own version, but will probably do something stupid like restrict it only to tablets until a couple years later when it appears on phones.

S beam though? Meh. Though it would still be good to have on the rare occasion I may need to use it. S beam is Wi-Fi direct, right?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I have absolutely zero interest in multi window on a phone but on a tablet it could definitely be useful.

Never use it on my G3. To small when you split the apps. Would probably use it on my N7, but I wonder how well shit would run side by side on old hardware.

RedFyn

My younger cousins showed me that frogger clone crossy road on new years eve.

I'm addicted -.-

I hope when they enter the US market they make 2gb of ram their base. I would love to see them make 16gb storage and 2gb ram the new standard base for low budget phones.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Yep, like I posted here before; browsing GAF and talking to friends on whatsapp is awesome. It's just so convenient not being able to be taken out of your app. Samsung are king of multitasking.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yep, like I posted here before; browsing GAF and talking to friends on whatsapp is awesome. It's just so convenient not being able to be taken out of your app. Samsung are king of multitasking.

Screenshot, please. A phone is p small. I wonder how it actually looks in use. Messaging and web browsing is exactly all I need.

Speaking of WhatsApp, I wish they'd make it tablet compatible. It's so annoying to reach for your phone every time you get a message, when you're sitting on the couch with the tablet in your hand. I can't think of a reason why it hasn't happened yet.

Groof

Speaking of WhatsApp, I wish they'd make it tablet compatible. It's so annoying to reach for your phone every time you get a message, when you're sitting on the couch with the tablet in your hand. I can't think of a reason why it hasn't happened yet.

This should be standard with every chat app.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I blame Germans for not moving to a better app, forcing me to be stuck using this hot garbage.

wilflare

I wish more people used Telegram :/
WhatsApp is slow... and still does not support GIFs T_T

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I thought it was NFC?

Only the initial handshake between the devices is done over NFC, then the actual file transfer is done over Wi-Fi Direct (or Bluetooth, in the case of stock Android Beam). NFC is meant for tiny amounts of data, transferring larger files over it would take ages. And you'd have to keep the phones pressed together during the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom