• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donos

Guys what calendar app are you using? The latest google calendar is showing just a small portion of a day and 5-days view is very bad compared to what it used to be.

So I need something that will sync with google and that shows your week (or 5 days) a bit better

Business Calender 2. Massive amount of options if you want to. Still prefer it over Today calender.

gcubed

My younger cousins showed me that frogger clone crossy road on new years eve.

I'm addicted -.-

I hope when they enter the US market they make 2gb of ram their base. I would love to see them make 16gb storage and 2gb ram the new standard base for low budget phones.

Xiaomi? In the US market? Ha! They would be sued out their asses the minute they set foot here.

It's easier when they are in a market that doesn't care about silly things like patents and intellectual property

Xiaomi? In the US market? Ha! They would be sued out their asses the minute they set foot here.

It's easier when they are in a market that doesn't care about silly things like patents and intellectual property
Which is funny since companies can make a fortune off patents. Microsoft makes over a billion off patents alone.

waxer

Speaking of Chinese phones. I'm going to be returning to android after being on WP last couple years.
Have a Huawei honor 6 plus on the way. I don't need the most powerful hardware that ill never use. After seeing my cousins honor 6 running well vs galaxy s5 70% vs 20% in same time in battery test we did. Plus ran every game etc well that cousins tried.
I just can't justify paying almost double for a flagship. I'm curious if the dual cameras will be better or worse than the standard model. The camera is one of my priorities in choosing a phone but couldn't find and hands on samples on net yet. Take a gamble based off pictures from honor 6 being ok.

Grimalkin

I'm hoping to hear some feedback from fellow Android users. My first and only smartphone is the Samsung S4 and I hate it so much. I bought it because it was the "best" android phone with one of the "best" cameras at the time and it's horrible. My parents were visiting over the holidays and after comparing my dad's iPhone 5C to the S4... day and night, especially the camera. I made the settings in the 2 phones as close as possible, put them side by side and took the pictures at the same time and the picture quality on the S4 is a joke. No filters, no apps, just the plain unedited image.

The camera on my phone has terrible lag, in terms of when you push the button to take a picture and when it actually takes the picture (even in sports mode). Is this normal? My spouse's S4 has the same lag so I'm assuming so. My phone also gets "stuck" in certain apps, especially the default text messaging app. Comparing it to my spouse's identical S4 it takes my phone about 3x as long to do anything, it takes forever to load an app, or a webpage and half the time my texts don't send. Finally, when I am using an app and my phone goes to sleep when I wake it back up the app will be gone about 30% of the time. No minimized, just gone. An example would be looking up store coupons in Chrome while I'm waiting to check out, I get them ready and then do the actual checkout process with the cashier. When it comes time to actually scan the coupon and I wake up my phone it will be blank. I check the recent apps, task manager, nope, it's just gone. Given that, maybe I just got a bad one, but it's basically turned me off Samsung phones forever.

And my phone is basically stock, the only 2 apps I have ever downloaded are MS Office Mobile and Goodreads so it's not like I've junked it up with shady apps.

So my question is this... are the phones from Sony and HTC better than the Galaxies? My phone contract is up this year and I'm thinking of jumping ship to an iPhone, that's how much I hate the S4. I'm tired of the slow camera, the bugs and the freezes. Every time I go to pay my phone bill I think of how much money I'm wasting on this piece of crap.

Is there an android phone with a camera that matches the iPhone? I've read reviews but they aren't helpful and last time they said the S4's camera was comparable to the iPhone's and that was a blatant lie. I would really prefer not to buy Apple products (because of iTunes), if possible.

Pachimari

I have been looking for weeks now but can't seem to figure it out. I accidentally removed the Drawer icon from my bottom bar, and don't know how to get it back.

I'm on Nova Launcher.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
I have been looking for weeks now but can't seem to figure it out. I accidentally removed the Drawer icon from my bottom bar, and don't know how to get it back.

I'm on Nova Launcher.

Hold down on the screen to add a shortcut or widget. App drawer is under Nova actions.

Xiaomi will definitely enter the NA market they just have to make some changes. For instance there's no way they'd launch here with the current skin they're rocking on their phones. Apple would destroy them. They should just use stock, that would make my face melt.

gcubed

I'm hoping to hear some feedback from fellow Android users. My first and only smartphone is the Samsung S4 and I hate it so much. I bought it because it was the "best" android phone with one of the "best" cameras at the time and it's horrible. My parents were visiting over the holidays and after comparing my dad's iPhone 5C to the S4... day and night, especially the camera. I made the settings in the 2 phones as close as possible, put them side by side and took the pictures at the same time and the picture quality on the S4 is a joke. No filters, no apps, just the plain unedited image.

The camera on my phone has terrible lag, in terms of when you push the button to take a picture and when it actually takes the picture (even in sports mode). Is this normal? My spouse's S4 has the same lag so I'm assuming so. My phone also gets "stuck" in certain apps, especially the default text messaging app. Comparing it to my spouse's identical S4 it takes my phone about 3x as long to do anything, it takes forever to load an app, or a webpage and half the time my texts don't send. Finally, when I am using an app and my phone goes to sleep when I wake it back up the app will be gone about 30% of the time. No minimized, just gone. An example would be looking up store coupons in Chrome while I'm waiting to check out, I get them ready and then do the actual checkout process with the cashier. When it comes time to actually scan the coupon and I wake up my phone it will be blank. I check the recent apps, task manager, nope, it's just gone. Given that, maybe I just got a bad one, but it's basically turned me off Samsung phones forever.

And my phone is basically stock, the only 2 apps I have ever downloaded are MS Office Mobile and Goodreads so it's not like I've junked it up with shady apps.

So my question is this... are the phones from Sony and HTC better than the Galaxies? My phone contract is up this year and I'm thinking of jumping ship to an iPhone, that's how much I hate the S4. I'm tired of the slow camera, the bugs and the freezes. Every time I go to pay my phone bill I think of how much money I'm wasting on this piece of crap.

Is there an android phone with a camera that matches the iPhone? I've read reviews but they aren't helpful and last time they said the S4's camera was comparable to the iPhone's and that was a blatant lie. I would really prefer not to buy Apple products (because of iTunes), if possible.

That sounds like a bad phone, I mean an S4 shouldn't be that far behind a 5c camera and missing apps, etc seems weird to me.

Nothing in android can match the 6+ camera. The Sony Z series will be close, the nexus 6 is close, the Note 4 should be very very close. Don't even look at HTC if you care about the camera.

Most new flagships have 3gb of ram, I rarely have refreshes on the n6 for closed apps (even then though, it should refresh to your last page, not give you a blank page).

At the top the Galaxy line is no match for Sony. Samsung's true flagship is the Note series and the Note 4 is probably one of the best devices currently available, the S5 is absolutely nowhere compared to the Z3 or M8.

At the top the Galaxy line is no match for Sony. Samsung's true flagship is the Note series and the Note 4 is probably one of the best devices currently available, the S5 is absolutely nowhere compared to the Z3 or M8.
I agree with this as of now. We'll see what they do in 2015 but the galaxy S line hasn't been worth getting over the competition for a little while now. LG and HTC and Sony all have competitive phones. The note is really their flagship as of 2014.

Despite what some may say you won't really find a phone that produces as good shots as the iphone 6 does right out of the box (I have one!). But with that said LG's flagship and the note 4 both produce great images. The HTC phones do not. The M9 might change that this year. Sony cameras are apparently alright after tinkering? Not sure.

If you don't want an apple device just wait till the 2015 flagships. Get the LG G4 or the HTC M9 or the Z4. Those are the ones I consider to have great cameras and are better than the galaxy S line. But the M9 is a wait and see camera wise but it should be better than the M8 by far.

Looks like samsung isn't giving up on the high end despite their plummeting. Check the likely metal s6 casing:

xFujstj.jpg

BVoh68u.jpg

PhZvJs1.jpg

Project Zero promises phone designed from scratch, seems like we're mostly getting that here. But it also promised software designed from scratch. Guess we'll see on that.

Groof

Looks like samsung isn't giving up on the high end despite their plummeting. Check the likely metal s6 casing:

Project Zero promises phone designed from scratch, seems like we're mostly getting that here. But it also promised software designed from scratch. Guess we'll see on that.

Interesting. But no removable back?

That was my initial thought as well. But it wouldn't surprise me if they went away from removable batteries either. The outrage would be most delicious.
samsung will be good about it I think. They'll do 32gb minimum. Which by the way, I better not see any manufacturer release a 16gb base model for their flagships.

NotBacon

Get a Nexus 6.
No Android is 1:1 with the iPhone 6, but the Nexus is very close. And I'm only suggesting a Nexus because you seem to be fed up with Samsung and confusing/unreliable skins in general. So just get a Nexus 6 and be happy. It's the "iPhone of the Android world", in terms of simplicity, fluidity, and beautiful software. It also has a beast battery and camera. This should be a no-brainer.

MarkusRJR

Why is my Moto G 2nd gen telling my 4.4.4 is the latest OS version available? I want Lollipop since I hear it vastly improves battery life. I bought it unlocked from Staples in Canada.

gcubed

Why is my Moto G 2nd gen telling my 4.4.4 is the latest OS version available? I want Lollipop since I hear it vastly improves battery life. I bought it unlocked from Staples in Canada.

Is the 2nd gen G update released yet? I wouldn't say it vastly improves battery life.

Hasney

From a quick browse of XDA, sounds like it was pulled due to a memory leak error.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Just get an iPhone. You don't have to deal with iTunes.

Just get an iPhone. You don't have to deal with iTunes.

From a desktop you can't even browse their damn appstore without downloading iTunes. I went to go look up some competition for an app I'm building the other day and I had to download iTunes just to look up apps.

I browse the playstore over the web all the time from multiple multiple pcs and remotely install apps on my devices. Its fucking awesome and iTunes sucks ass.

Wreav

Banned
Nothing on Android comes close to the iPhone's camera. Maybe the next flagships will catch up.

The only time I use iTunes is when I'm backing up or restoring my phone, which is to say rarely.

For right now if you want a sick camera but not a phablet I would get the lg g3.

If you want the best user experience with pretty good camera and dont mind a phablet get the Nexus 6.

For a reguler sized phone The Moto X is the obvious choice for you based on your s4 complaints except for the camera. Motorola kills it on user experience but failed with camera in the new Moto X. Otherwise if you can wait a tad longer give the new HTC or S6 a look. Honestly the s4 was a clusterfuck of a phone for many reasons but things started to get a lot better with the s5. I also feel HTC will finally get their camera situation right this year but who knows.

Darker

Banned
I'm probably pissing in the wind here but:

I've got an SD card with my music mounted on my Z2 with Poweramp as my player. Of my however many files, about 20 or 30 never appear on Poweramp no matter how much I scan. However, I can find them all on File Commander (they've all got 'broken file' images and 'no application can play this file').

I know these songs work on my iTunes, so what magic can I work to get them to be recognized by Poweramp? Can I alter details in File Commander, or do I need to do something outside of my phone?

Thanks.

markot

Banned

Those sharp square protrusions seem like a bad idea.

I'm sorry but that's such a ridiculous conclusion lol. You can read tons more tests. There is "distant second". Fanboy drivel. The iphone 6/6+ and note 5 are almost negligible witht he iphone giving warmer and note giving cooler tones. Other than that the iphone takes clearly better low light/night shots.

But I digress. And the nexus 6 is not competing with the 2.

Get the iPhone

I'm sorry but that's such a ridiculous conclusion lol. You can read tons more tests. There is "distant second". Fanboy drivel. The iphone 6/6+ and note 5 are almost negligible witht he iphone giving warmer and note giving cooler tones. Other than that the iphone takes clearly better low light/night shots.

But I digress. And the nexus 6 is not competing with the 2.

Distant second as in a lot less people voted for the iPhone shots, not as in it's way worse.

wilflare

I'm using Xiaomi's Mi Band and Mi (Power) Bank.
for the price I paid, it's really good though :O

US$15 for a 10400mA Powerbank (the internal battery is supposedly by Samsung/Panasonic)
US$15 for the Mi Band... way cheaper than those Fitbit, Jawbone etc (only quirk is that it has no support/integration with Runkeeper, etc)

probably will get a Xiaomi phone down the line

gcubed

Nothing on Android comes close to the iPhone's camera. Maybe the next flagships will catch up.

The only time I use iTunes is when I'm backing up or restoring my phone, which is to say rarely.

As usual, you are wrong again... Didn't we talk about your outdated information and inability to give useful advice? Some of the current flagship's are ever so slightly behind the iPhone 6 camera. Hell, the nexus 6 is almost equal to it when you read actual camera reviews and not tech people taking pictures and going "hmm yes, this is better". And that's a nexus that everyone automatically thinks isn't good

Also appears I was wrong, the gs4 camera is a hot mess.

Can I just point out how many typos I had there. Christ.

You channeled your inner Shatner

Wreav

Banned
As usual, you are wrong again...

I probably know more about photography than you and have probably used more flagships in the last 2 years than you. These are of course baseless assumptions on my part not knowing you, but, yeah, probably the case.

The main issue with the 6 and 6+ is the megapixels, zooming falls apart pretty quickly when pitting against these 16 and 21mp sensors that are out there. Image processing, which IMO is the much more important piece of the puzzle, is still YEARS ahead on iOS.

So you don't need to use iTunes when you want to manage your apps or music from a desktop computer?

All streaming library and who the hell cares about managing apps from a desktop? Not me, so no, not in my use case.

gcubed

I probably know more about photography than you and have probably used more flagships in the last 2 years than you. These are of course baseless assumptions on my part not knowing you, but, yeah, probably the case.

The main issue with the 6 and 6+ is the megapixels, zooming falls apart pretty quickly when pitting against these 16 and 21mp sensors that are out there. Image processing, which IMO is the much more important piece of the puzzle, is still YEARS ahead on iOS.

All streaming library and who the hell cares about managing apps from a desktop? Not me, so no, not in my use case.

I'm sure you have used more flagship's then I have, but I do know my photography. I also know that a tech blog is a useless tool for testing camera quality since they make it painfully obvious that they don't know what they are talking about.

I don't count zoom, if you zoom with a phone, those poor results are on you. Image clarity, saturation, and noise are all very good on the N6 with a minus on AF speed. The saturation is at times better than the iPhone 6. Overall I still think the 6+ is leader, but the gap is more like a big crack vs a canyon that was there years ago. The low light will always be better on the i6 vs any 2014 flagship's due to apples smart choice in going with a larger sensor size, but in most other conditions, the cameras are very very close.

My point is that a few recent android phones are very close to the 6 in image quality, and this perpetuation of shitty camera quality needs to end.

Samsung sucks at their post processing and the images I've seen of the note 4 fall apart when zoomed in with purple fringing and over zealous noise reduction. As par for the course, Samsung's software is holding back it's sensor, which by all accounts, should be really really good

And with lollipop you can get raw from android, so it's even better.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
From a desktop you can't even browse their damn appstore without downloading iTunes. I went to go look up some competition for an app I'm building the other day and I had to download iTunes just to look up apps.

I browse the playstore over the web all the time from multiple multiple pcs and remotely install apps on my devices. Its fucking awesome and iTunes sucks ass.
You can look up apps on the iTunes website. To install via desktop then yeah. But you can literally never use iTunes with an iPhone these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom