• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattDoza

Seems like 4.4.3 improved the battery usage information. I now see more of the apps I've used, standby times, and Android System and Play services aren't the majority users. I used to see like a maximum of 4-5 things in this list and now it's populated enough that I have to scroll to see everything.

malfcn

Still confused with 442. I have wifi off, haven't touched it but battery says 12% in 3 hours. I see procs I don't remember before too. I thought this would be better over 411 or whatever I had before.

yyzjohn

Banned
Still confused with 442. I have wifi off, haven't touched it but battery says 12% in 3 hours. I see procs I don't remember before too. I thought this would be better over 411 or whatever I had before.

Have you turned of "Scanning always available" in the WiFi settings? It's under Advanced settings.

"Let Google's location service and other apps scan for networks, even when WiFi is off"

You'll want to turn that shit off.

Have you turned of "Scanning always available" in the WiFi settings? It's under Advanced settings.

"Let Google's location service and other apps scan for networks, even when WiFi is off"

You'll want to turn that shit off.
Nah, I leave that on and have great battery life. I think it's actually more efficient than having to trigger the GPS for a location check.

reKon

Banned
I got my HTC One pick pocketed when I was in Nigeria so I decided to get a backup phone for the time being until I figure out which high-end phone that I want next. I decided to pick up the Optimus F6 for T-Mobile for $120. Other than the SD card storage (which can be easily bypassed), this is actually fanatic phone for the price. Great battery life, decent performance, notification lights, IR blaster, 4.5 inches, 4G Lte, front/back facing cameras, and will probably be getting Kitkat.

Shit, I might just save money and stick with this until whatever phone I want is on sale for cheap lol. Still can't believe this is only $100 (check slick deals). I would have to choose this over the 4G Moto G.

Blackhead

Redarse
I got my HTC One pick pocketed when I was in Nigeria so I decided to get a backup phone for the time being until I figure out which high-end phone that I want next. I decided to pick up the Optimus F6 for T-Mobile for $120. Other than the SD card storage (which can be easily bypassed), this is actually fanatic phone for the price. Great battery life, decent performance, notification lights, IR blaster, 4.5 inches, 4G Lte, front/back facing cameras, and will probably be getting Kitkat.

Shit, I might just save money and stick with this until whatever phone I want is on sale for cheap lol. Still can't believe this is only $100 (check slick deals). I would have to choose this over the 4G Moto G.

and will probably be getting Kitkat.

That sounds a bit naive.

Nicktendo86

Yay just installed latest cm nightly on my nexus 4 and I am up to 4.4.3. Haven't noticed anything new yet (installed the new dialer the other day) except looks like a new calculator?

Pooya

How good is Z1 Compact? I'm looking at camera samples, frankly it doesn't look any better than my Note 3. Noise is too much still in these super sampled 8MP shots. I'm looking to get a small sized relatively cheap secondary phone and looks like nothing better is available? Is Z2 camera that much better?

I was wary of Xperia's before because Sony support both software and warranty have been crap. how is it now?

kehs

Banned
Why Notifications Are About to Rule the Smartphone Interface

Think about it: Notifications already are the way you know about everything that happens without having to fire up an app. A notification lets you know you have a new email, a new text message, a new Snapchat. (Hi, Tony. Looking good.) But with iOS 8 they become interactive. They’re not just simple announcements—or even calls to action—anymore. They are actions in and of themselves. Entirely new windows onto our data. It’s nearly impossible to overstate how much this will change the way you use your phone.

rabble rabble rabble

When we can interact with our data in short bursts via notifications, we make remarkable efficiency gains, especially on tasks that we perform again and again. Apps will become more about information and communications; we’re going to think of them as services instead of as windows onto our data. The things that can make best use of single click efficiency will soar. A whole new world is up there waiting for us at the top of the screen. We just need to pull it down.

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/smartphone-notifications/?mbid=social_gplus

reKon

Banned
So... Is it safe to buy a nexus I need phone bad or should I wait ?

Get the phone (LG Optimus F6) I got + 32 GB memory card. That should easily be able to hold you over until your next phone. Will cost you $120 - $150 in total for the phone and memory card.

Wired demonstrates yet again why they haven't been relevant since 1999 or thereabouts
They're right, though. As much as Google has innovated with Android, it takes Apple to popularize a feature. The average Android user doesn't utilize multitasking, Google search voice commands, NFC transfer, auto photo backup, etc., and probably rarely uses notifications to access apps.

Blackhead

Redarse
New Edit:
Wired said:
Interactive notifications will spur all sorts of new behaviors.(And yes, Android already has interactive notifications, but the ones in iOS 8 look to go beyond what KitKat can do.)
*ugh* I was going to ignore the article (and the baiting gaf thread) but...

my main issue isn't even that the author first claims notification centers are reinvented on iOS or that it next claims it's better on iOS because Apple changed some details/didn't completely copy Android; no, my main issue is that the whole article about a revolutionary new ux is as a plug for yet another navel-gazing social app:
It's a "semi-anonymous chat app" that's currently iOS only and "coming soon" to Android. Like Secret, the only people that fucking care are silicon valley socialites and the tech tabloids that cover them.
They're right, though. As much as Google has innovated with Android, it takes Apple to popularize a feature. The average Android user doesn't utilize multitasking, Google search voice commands, NFC transfer, auto photo backup, etc., and probably rarely uses notifications to access apps.
Most iOS users don't use the multitasking bar, Siri has flopped, nobody even knew about Airdrop between iPhones, everyone was complaining that iCloud backup had stopped working (it was full)...

By the time LG delivers that ('maybe' July) Google would have already announced another firmware at I/O. and the cycle continues.

Other features that you glossed over: this LG's 4.5" screen only has 950x540 resolution and the onboard memory is only 4GB. Not dealbreakers certainly but I'd still rather recommend the MotoG.

p.s. sucks your phone was stolen

Yes, until Based Steve taught me how I had never known how to use Notifications on my Apple TouchWiz

Days after a report claimed that Sprint and T-Mobile are getting close to reaching an agreement on their long-rumored deal, one exec is being tipped as the potential CEO of the combined SprinT-Mobile.

Sources speaking to Bloomberg say that T-Mobile CEO John Legere is likely to be chosen as the head of Sprint and T-Mobile if the two carriers do end up combining. Legere would be tasked with integrating the two management groups and combining Sprint and T-Mo’s network technologies.

While the deal is still far from finished and Legere’s promotion is unconfirmed, current Sprint CEO Dan Hesse has said that it wouldn’t bother him if he weren’t selected to lead SprinT-Mobile. “I am 60 years old. I have a lot of things I still want to do in life,” Hesse explained."

459.gif

That's pretty awesome, I was thinking he was gonna get dropped.

Nah, Son doesn't like Hesse. He doesn't feel like he is a good leader and hasn't been taking sufficient action to right the ship at Sprint. Son and Legere are pretty close in ambition.

If Legere can really can utilize his policies with the coverage of both T-mobile and Sprint, you could see me switching over to them. If they get good coverage at home, work and where I went to college, then I'll be all over this, especially if they have very similar plans to T-mobile.

reKon

Banned
New Edit:

Other features that you glossed over: this LG's 4.5" screen only has 950x540 resolution and the onboard memory is only 4GB. Not dealbreakers certainly but I'd still rather recommend the MotoG.

p.s. sucks your phone was stolen

$100 USD though! As a back up/travel phone/temporary phone when upgrading it's great. There's been multiple fixes for the SD card issue. I have learned that people have been able to use 64GB cards with no issues. The worst feature is the shitty camera, but everything else it's great in, especially battery life. I prefer this size too so it works out well. We'll see how consistent performance is down the road. I thought that my Galaxy Nexus had issues mainly due to the RAM size, but this phone only has 1 GB of RAM too and it's been pretty speedy on the LG skin, unrooted..

I would not recommend this as a main phone compared to what you can get, but this is perfectly capable of being a main phone if you mainly use it for Google Maps, casual browsing, Hangouts and music like I do.

kehs

Banned
The 4.4.3 update turned my moto g into baller status. I don't know if it's because of clean cache or what, but this shit feels really really smooth now. It would stutter from time to time.

Even chrome is usable.

Jigolo

The 4.4.3 update turned my moto g into baller status. I don't know if it's because of clean cache or what, but this shit feels really really smooth now. It would stutter from time to time.

Even chrome is usable.
Is there a way to clear cache without root ?

XBP

G3's gsmarena review is out. Their findings:

• The display is very crisp and with ultra-wide viewing angles, but not too great when it comes to contrast or sunlight legibility
  • The battery life is great, especially considering the high-res display
  • The audio quality is spectacular
  • The benchmark performance is below other top flagships
  • The still camera is one of the best around, and HDR makes it even better
  • The video camera does quite well although the 720p@120fps mode could use some improvement
  • The speaker loudness is good
  • Great codec support out of the box

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g3-review-1086.php

Ambient80

Anyone with the G3 able to comment on the speaker quality? I see they're making at least somewhat of a big deal about it but it's hard to judge unless you use it in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom