• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

bms2993

Banned
Today I started Android development. I know Python, C, and HTML/CSS and how to use classes, objects, stacks, queues, dequeues, inheritance, polymorphism, ect; I don't know Java but I'm reading a book on it as I go along. Here we go...

Groof

CES is less and less about mobile these days, anyone expecting a Sony megaton were delusional.

That X900 tv doe

When was CES ever even supposed to be about mobile specifically? It's called Consumer Electronics Show, not Consumer Mobile Show.

NotBacon

Today I started Android development. I know Python, C, and HTML/CSS and how to use classes, objects, stacks, queues, dequeues, inheritance, polymorphism, ect; I don't know Java but I'm reading a book on it as I go along. Here we go...

You better be using Android Studio...
And yeah normally I'd recommend straight Java for a few months before even thinking about starting Android dev, but since it seems you already have an OOP background I'd say you're probably good to go without the semantics.
Also, if you want more material, i'm pretty sure Google has a free course (very recent and modern) on Udacity.

If you have specific technical questions I'm glad to help and there's always ProgrammingGAF

Will I encounter any issues if I buy a Chromecast here in the US to use back home in the UK?

I encountered 0 problems.

So now I have one...urrr what do I do with it. Best apps? Best method of streaming from Windows? etc.

I have a smart TV but the reason I bought this was it would be snappier to use than the TV's sluggish UI.

GAF I need your advise!

I am finally off contract and can get a new phone. I currently have an iPhone 5 but I want to switch to android. the question is which phone?

I'm thinking about getting the Note 4, or should I wait for Xperia Z4?

Maybe HTC?

GAF I need your advise!

I am finally off contract and can get a new phone. I currently have an iPhone 5 but I want to switch to android. the question is which phone?

I'm thinking about getting the Note 4, or should I wait for Xperia Z4?

Maybe HTC?

Play the waiting game. In a few months 2015 models should be released... or hyped. The first wave will fall short of expectations in some way, and you'll wait for the next flagship, and the next, and before you know it a year has passed. Only two more months before the first wave of 2016 flagships are out and so on.

Dat waiting game, always something potentially better right around the corner. Wait for that new Nexus. They may finally get it together... this fall. Or get the Xperia, right in the midst of rumors of a mid year refresh that may or may not be carrier/country exclusive. Samsung Galaxy S models hit in the spring, while the Note series comes in the fall. Just wait.

Sch1sm

I started to use Keep since it was preinstalled on my phone (dat google bloat). It's really nice actually.

This. At first I tried other apps but I just find Keep convenient. It grew on me like every other GAPP. Take advantage of that near instantaneous synchro and use out on browser, too.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
What app do you guys use as a todo list?

I like ToDoist but the widget font is quite big on it, and no transparent option :(

I was using Evernote until they got hacked a few years back. That kinda spooked me. It happens but I had to change a bunch of passwords so I switched out of spite.

I've been a Keep man ever since. It does everything I'm looking for. Hell, you can even stick photos into your lists.

Quixzlizx

Is there any way to change font color for certain lines in Keep? My brain must be wired differently from the average user's, because I never have any clue what actions/settings the various icons are supposed to represent.

Enco

Just got my Moto G.

Screen is kinda crappy and some of the icons seem blurry. You can also tell that the RAM is a big limitation but I was expecting that. The 5" screen seems pretty cool comfort wise but it's too early to say.

No sight of lollipop sadly. Hopefully soon.

Phone also has some lag. Definitely not a constant 60 fps.

Hasney

Just got my Moto G.

Screen is kinda crappy and some of the icons seem blurry. You can also tell that the RAM is a big limitation but I was expecting that. The 5" screen seems pretty cool comfort wise but it's too early to say.

No sight of lollipop sadly. Hopefully soon.

Phone also has some lag. Definitely not a constant 60 fps.

Pretty much. The Moto G is a very usable phone, especially for that price point, but the flash is all out.

The Lollipop update was pulled because it's not been great with RAM management and it really affected the Moto G for obvious reasons.

manfestival

Pretty much. The Moto G is a very usable phone, especially for that price point, but the flash is all out.

The Lollipop update was pulled because it's not been great with RAM management and it really affected the Moto G for obvious reasons.

wow I was not aware of that. The phone has been pretty great with lollipop so far for me. yeah RAM is an issue more of then than before but I usually clear out apps and that quells the problem.

Hasney

wow I was not aware of that. The phone has been pretty great with lollipop so far for me. yeah RAM is an issue more of then than before but I usually clear out apps and that quells the problem.

Yeah, it probably does work great if you don't mind fiddling, but clearing out apps from task manager should be a big no no in general on Android since it negatively impacts parts of the system.

Lenovo Vibe X2

gsmarena_011.jpg

gsmarena_014.jpg

gsmarena_021.jpg

Lenovo P90

http://www.gsmarena.com/ces_2015_lenovo-review-1190.php

orange looks hot

Enco

Hopefully they fix it soon.

There's no way anyone can use this phone in place of another flagship. At least anyone who cares about performance.

Are there any Android only apps you guys would recommend?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Fair enough, I'll give that a go (I've used it before). I just don't want my laptop to start screaming and shouting too much.

Honestly Localcast works fine for me direct from my tablet.

That being said I rarely use it. Most of the time I'm just using streaming apps like Netflix or HBO Go.

Sch1sm

Who was in here telling me zoom doesn't matter on a mobile camera?

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nexu...a-mile-in-our-blind-camera-comparison_id64437

No one said it didn't matter. He said he didn't count it. Feel free to reread, though, may do you some good.

I'm sure you have used more flagship's then I have, but I do know my photography. I also know that a tech blog is a useless tool for testing camera quality since they make it painfully obvious that they don't know what they are talking about.

I don't count zoom, if you zoom with a phone, those poor results are on you. Image clarity, saturation, and noise are all very good on the N6 with a minus on AF speed. The saturation is at times better than the iPhone 6. Overall I still think the 6+ is leader, but the gap is more like a big crack vs a canyon that was there years ago. The low light will always be better on the i6 vs any 2014 flagship's due to apples smart choice in going with a larger sensor size, but in most other conditions, the cameras are very very close.

My point is that a few recent android phones are very close to the 6 in image quality, and this perpetuation of shitty camera quality needs to end.

Samsung sucks at their post processing and the images I've seen of the note 4 fall apart when zoomed in with purple fringing and over zealous noise reduction. As par for the course, Samsung's software is holding back it's sensor, which by all accounts, should be really really good

And with lollipop you can get raw from android, so it's even better.

Wreav

Banned
Discount zoom, then use it to feel better about your camera of choice. Clearly digital zoom/higher megapixels means something. The point is you CAN zoom and get better shots than an iPhone, which is what the PhoneArena test proves. Using tight crops achieves the same effect as using zoom.

I still think the iPhone wins at uncropped for color accuracy and tonality, but it's obvious their sensor is aged out of the market in terms of sharpness.

this_guy

Discount zoom, then use it to feel better about your camera of choice. Clearly digital zoom/higher megapixels means something. The point is you CAN zoom and get better shots than an iPhone, which is what the PhoneArena test proves. Using tight crops achieves the same effect as using zoom.

I still think the iPhone wins at uncropped for color accuracy and tonality, but it's obvious their sensor is aged out of the market in terms of sharpness.

So you're saying the iPhone 6 camera is NOT "by far better than anything on the Android side?"

Wreav

Banned
Uncropped, iPhone wins handily, I'll stand by that. Shutter speed, low-light performance, noise levels, tonality are all heads and shoulders better than anything I've experienced on Android. I too am not crazy about digital zoom, but I will acknowledge that the iPhone completely falls apart when its pictures are zoomed, either in camera or in post. My point is you can't just wave a hand and dismiss the gains more megapixels gives you. Enough to where people picked the higher MP pics over the iPhone handily, even though the iPhone pics had better tonality.

If you ever want to do iOS as well you may want to rethink learning java. You can make use of your preexisting web skills to learn hybrid app development (Cordova) instead or go c# (xamarin).

If you are just having fun and don't care about $$ for your time ignore this though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom