• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husker86

Is there no quick rotation lock toggle on the moto g?

Are you on Lollipop?

My Nexus 5 has it in the pull-down menu toggles. Some of those I think you have to enable manually in the normal settings menu before they appear in the quick toggle menu.

I don't think it was there in KitKat, but I can't be sure.

Groof

Are you on Lollipop?

My Nexus 5 has it in the pull-down menu toggles. Some of those I think you have to enable manually in the normal settings menu before they appear in the quick toggle menu.

Correct. Up until Lollipop stock Android didn't have an auto rotate toggle. You had to go into display settings.

Enco

Are you on Lollipop?

Nah its not here yet for me.

Can't find a setting to enable the toggle

I'm really liking some of the stuff I'm seeing but there are lots of small annoyances lol.

NotBacon

Finally jumped aboard the Android train. I've used Windows Phone for the last 5 years, and I now got a Samsung Galaxy S5. I'm not completely oblivious to the OS, but what are some things I have to know, that may not be common knowledge?

Go into Settings>Apps and disable all the bloat you can.

If you're not digging the Samsung aesthetics/confusion, you can make it more Nexus-like with Google Keyboard, Google Now Launcher, Google Keep, Chrome, Gmail (works with multiple and any email), etc.

And don't download any task killers, antivirus, battery savers, etc.
Generally a bad idea.

Nah its not here yet for me.

Can't find a setting to enable the toggle

I'm really liking some of the stuff I'm seeing but there are lots of small annoyances lol.

Lollipop= Settings>Accessibility, check "Auto Rotate Screen". That should enable the toggle to be visible in pull-down menu. You should be able to toggle on and off without the toggle disappearing. If you uncheck in Settings>Accessibility the toggle will go away. I think that is how it works. It's the same way with the location toggle

Pachimari

If you're not digging the Samsung aesthetics/confusion, you can make it more Nexus-like with Google Keyboard, Google Now Launcher, Google Keep, Chrome, Gmail (works with multiple and any email), etc.

Generally a bad idea.
Is BatteryGuru a bad idea? That's the only one I have installed.

Enco

Lollipop= Settings>Accessibility, check "Auto Rotate Screen". That should enable the toggle to be visible in pull-down menu. You should be able to toggle on and off without the toggle disappearing. If you uncheck in Settings>Accessibility the toggle will go away. I think that is how it works. It's the same way with the location toggle
Thanks I'll try that after the update.

What I really like:
- the way notifications are handled is pretty cool. IOS needs a big revamp. Notifications are annoying as hell
- default apps is so cool. This is something iOS is really lacking in. Maybe with iOS 9. Appple seem to be opening up
- I think the 5" size is the most I'll be able to handle. I care about one handed use too much. I thought 4.7" is perfect but 5" is nice
- the moto g speakers sound better than my iPhone 5S...
- you can get jailbreak type apps without a jailbreak. Awesome
- gravity screen is really cool
- I like pattern passcodes. Much faster and cooler
- the back button is neat

What I don't like:
- text highlighting
- autocorrect
- the shitty moto g ram is deal breaking
- the status bar has too much crap
- why do background apps stay in the status bar? They just take up space
- app store is so ugly and unfriendly compared to on ios
- no swiping back in chrome is really dumb
- I'm not on lollipop and right now it kinda feels unpolished. Bouncy animations sound small but make a big difference. The holo black ui is ugly. Not being able to click the status bar to go to the top is awkward. Animations aren't smooth and are definitely not on the level of my 5S. Although that's likely due to the phone
- the way updates are handled are a joke to be honest. Waiting months for an update after release sucks. Then you have the shitty skins to deal with

Is there a list of phones with lollipop?

HERE Maps for Android looks really great. The designers did a great job and proper offline maps is awesome. It was a bit embarrassing when I compared my Google Maps Navigation with a friend's Drive+ on his 930. "Great nav app you got there..."

Only downside is yet another account you have to create for no reason at all. You can log in via Facebook, but not with you Google Account? That's nonsense. At least they only ask for your Name and birth date and you can put in whatever you want.

kharma45

HERE Maps for Android looks really great. The designers did a great job and proper offline maps is awesome. It was a bit embarrassing when I compared my Google Maps Navigation with a friend's Drive+ on his 930. "Great nav app you got there..."

Only downside is yet another account you have to create for no reason at all. You can log in via Facebook, but not with you Google Account? That's nonsense. At least they only ask for your Name and birth date and you can put in whatever you want.

I used it a lot when I had my OPO, liked the design a lot too. I liked the little details like the fade in transition when swiping from the left.

GPS locking on my OPO was slow as shit but when it got it the app was fantastic.

What I really like:
- the way notifications are handled is pretty cool. IOS needs a big revamp. Notifications are annoying as hell
- default apps is so cool. This is something iOS is really lacking in. Maybe with iOS 9. Appple seem to be opening up
- I think the 5" size is the most I'll be able to handle. I care about one handed use too much. I thought 4.7" is perfect but 5" is nice
- the moto g speakers sound better than my iPhone 5S...
- you can get jailbreak type apps without a jailbreak. Awesome
- gravity screen is really cool
- I like pattern passcodes. Much faster and cooler
- the back button is neat

What I don't like:
- text highlighting
- autocorrect
- I'm not on lollipop and right now it kinda feels unpolished. Bouncy animations sound small but make a big difference. The holo black ui is ugly. Not being able to click the status bar to go to the top is awkward. Animations aren't smooth and are definitely not on the level of my 5S. Although that's likely due to the phone
- the way updates are handled are a joke to be honest. Waiting months for an update after release sucks. Then you have the shitty skins to deal with

Great post! You should really install the google now launcher from the play store if you haven't. I have the opposite opinion of the appstores so maybe both stores have a learning curve.

The only phones with lollipop are:
Moto X 2014 (vzw and unlocked)
Nexus 6
Nexus 5
Nexus 4
Moto G 2013/14 (not all varients)
Opo?

I think that's it which is pretty sad but Note 4, S5, G3, One (m8), Droid Turbo, Moto X 2013 should all hopefully have it by this spring (hopefully). All new phones will obviously but this is clearly a pain point of android like you mentioned.

I don't think the store is that bad, I just don't like the puke green color they use. I love how you can install apps from the browser though.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Questionable Z4 rumors

Sony Xperia Z4 with a Quad-HD (1440p) display. More specifically, the Taiwanese source claims Sony will double-dip on the fourth-generation flagship, offering it to consumers in both 1080p and 1440p variants.

Reportedly, the QuadHD version is heading towards the US market, while "certain markets" will only receive the 1080p version. That's an interesting theory, but we're totally in the dark about what it's based on - everyone likes the highest of high resolution displays at the moment, even if they admit to their pixel densities being completely overkill. So it must be manufacturing and distribution issues to blame.

The source also cited improved waterproofing that needs no plastic flaps covering the Xperia Z4's open ports. That would be very welcome, as those flaps kind of rub us in the wrong way - they simply don't belong in Sony's harmonious and symmetrical OmniBalance design in which nothing is meant to stick out and yell "look at me!".

Additionally, the front camera has been improved in some way as well, and the smartphone's metal frame has been treated with a glossy finish. Hopefully, it doesn't end up looking tacky! And, as usual, the Xperia Z4 will be sold in different colors, with blue being one of the choices.

Wreav

Banned
What are the chances that Verizon gets the Moto X Pro instead of the Nexus? Given their history with the Nexus line, and their strong support for all things Moto, I could see this happening.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What are the chances that Verizon gets the Moto X Pro instead of the Nexus? Given their history with the Nexus line, and their strong support for all things Moto, I could see this happening.

They got the Droid Turbo already. I don't see them getting this.

Plus by time they did it would be LTTP anyways.

reKon

Banned
Forge TV > Nexus Player

Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 805
Quad-Core Krait 450 CPU – 2.5 GHz per core
Adreno™ 420 GPU

2 GB RAM
16 GB storage
Bluetooth 4.1 + HS
Wireless 802.11ac 2X2
Gigabit Ethernet
USB 3.0
HDMI 1.4 output

$99

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Turbo ain't shit compared to the N6, plus it's a DROOOOOOIIIIIID, so separate branding line.

Also, LTTP means NOTHING to VZ.

Outside of the X though that's what VZ always gets from Moto. It's always droid stuff. They aren't gonna suddenly get a bunch of non Droid line Moto phones.

Also hardware wise the Turbo and N6 are rather similar.

Plus even if VZ doesn't care about being LTTP there would be no reason for people who know to get the phone when 810 devices are gonna be populating soon.

NotBacon

What I don't like:
- text highlighting
- autocorrect

- Do you have Google Keyboard installed? You can change auto-correct aggressiveness in the settings for it.
- Status bar is usually clean if you block apps that spam it. Lolly helps too.
- I guess personal opinion because I absolutely loathe the iOS App Store design haha.

Your phone should get Lolly soon. It sucks they pulled the update for you for a little bit.

Tip: get used to swiping open the navigation drawer in apps or swiping across tabs in apps. It pains me when people are stretching their thumb to the top when they don't need to :p

Also hardware wise the Turbo and N6 are rather similar.

Nooooooo, Turbo is the savior phone, Nexus 6 is the compromise phone, remember?

Mindwipe

I need to see Sony's 5.0 skin first. I swear, if they don't update those Gingerbread icons...

Am I the only person who doesn't give a shit about the icons given you can change them with any decent launcher?

I'm much more interested if I'll be able to go directly into manual camera mode given how bad the auto is. And hopefully handling notifications a little bit better than stock Lollipop...

- Do you have Google Keyboard installed? You can change auto-correct aggressiveness in the settings for it.
- I guess personal opinion because I absolutely loathe the iOS App Store design haha.

Your phone should get Lolly soon. It sucks they pulled the update for you for a little bit.

Tip: get used to swiping open the navigation drawer in apps or swiping across tabs in apps. It pains me when people are stretching their thumb to the top when they don't need to :p

This is getting really old.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face

Generally a bad idea
Why not?

freshair

A few years old, but principle still applies:

- Android is hard coded to automatically kill a task when more memory is needed.
- Android is hard coded to automatically kill a task when it's done doing what it needs to do.
- Android is hard coded to automatically kill a task when you haven't returned to it in a long time.
- Most services (while possibly running in the background) use very little memory when not actively doing something.
- A content provider is only doing something when there is a notification for it to give. Otherwise it uses very little memory.
- Killing a process when it isn't ready only causes it to have to reload itself and start from scratch when it's needed again.
- Because a task is likely running in the background for a reason, killing it will only cause it to re-spawn as soon as the activity that was using it looks for it again. And it will just have to start over again.
- Killing certain processes can have undesirable side effects. Not receiving text messages, alarms not going off, and force closes just to name a few.
- The only true way to prevent something from running at all on your phone would be to uninstall the .apk.
- Most applications will exit themselves if you get out of it by hitting "back" until it closes rather than hitting the "home" button. But even with hitting home, Android will eventually kill it once it's been in the background for a while.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=678205

Enco

Got the Google keyboard. Its pretty sexy.

How do I block apps and what do you mean by your tip?

Great post! You should really install the google now launcher from the play store if you haven't. I have the opposite opinion of the appstores so maybe both stores have a learning curve.

The only phones with lollipop are:
Moto X 2014 (vzw and unlocked)
Nexus 6
Nexus 5
Nexus 4
Moto G 2013/14 (not all varients)
Opo?

I think that's it which is pretty sad but Note 4, S5, G3, One (m8), Droid Turbo, Moto X 2013 should all hopefully have it by this spring (hopefully). All new phones will obviously but this is clearly a pain point of android like you mentioned.
Yea I have it! Been trying aviate which seems cool

That's pretty sad to be honest lol

Pretty surprising that you guys are the complete opposite with the app stores! But I guess that it does change with time

How do I get this new Google update?

Holy shit, I didn't realise ChromeCast natively played flash video you sent to it from a Chrome Tab. I thought that feature just mirrored your computer, but it looked too smooth to be that and after googling it appears it is just natively playing the flash content. This is a fucking dream come true, I should've bought one of these years ago.

I was wondering how the fuck it was displaying so perfectly compared with shitty MiraCast.

My only problem now is that I need to be able to turn the flash content off the PC but continue playing on the Chromecast.

Wreav

Banned
Holy shit, I didn't realise ChromeCast natively played flash video you sent to it from a Chrome Tab. I thought that feature just mirrored your computer, but it looked too smooth to be that and after googling it appears it is just natively playing the flash content. This is a fucking dream come true, I should've bought one of these years ago.

I was wondering how the fuck it was displaying so perfectly compared with shitty MiraCast.

My only problem now is that I need to be able to turn the flash content off the PC but continue playing on the Chromecast.

Chrome tab casting does in fact cast the whole tab.

Noema

What I don't like:
- text highlighting
- autocorrect

The lack of RAM is the Moto G's biggest weakness. If it had 2GB or even 1.5GB it would provide a much better experience. It'd then be a cheaper Nexus 4, basically. The SoC is not blazing fast but it's good enough for most everyday tasks, it's the lack of RAM that just grind things to a halt.

Lollipop does alleviate the pain a bit, though, since it has a smaller footprint and ART Apps in general use less memory than Dalvik Apps. Also ART apps load up faster so even if they get flushed out of memory when multitasking everything is just snappier.

NotBacon

Pretty surprising that you guys are the complete opposite with the app stores! But I guess that it does change with time

You can always go into the app and find a setting that says to stop notifying you for random crap.
If that's a no go, the go to Settings>Apps, find the app, and uncheck the box that says "Show Notifications". Boom, blocked.

The Nav. Drawer is a very common UI element in Android. So if you see the "hamburger" 3-line menu icon in the top left of an app(Play store, Google Keep, etc.), you can just swipe in from the left side of the screen to open it.
Same for apps that have "tabs" (titles near the top with one underlined), you can swipe between them without reaching for the top.

You might already know those, but you'd be surprised how many people have no idea.

If you go to "My Apps" in the store, you can see what apps have updates.
Also, you might want to turn off app auto-updates unless you want your phone to slow to a crawl at random times when it updates.

Just want to be sure, but I'm 90% the answer is yes. With my Z3 I can use any mini USB cable and any USB plug to charge it and it'll work just as well as the mini USB and plug that came out of the box?

Reason I ask is I've lost the plug, and so am now resorting to using an Apple USB plug and I interchange between all the mini USBs I have lying around.

Reckoner

I too prefer the App Store. But that's just nitpicking. Google play is perfectly fine.

OnePlus working on 2 different phones, one possibly premium designed (with worse specs or something? lol, don't know what he means, probably just means it will be premium hardware at a more premium price):

Fans of the company can expect the next generation OnePlus flagship phone to arrive in about six months. In addition, the company is developing another separate handset model.

“I think its going to be a phone catering to a different type of audience. Perhaps for those who appreciate design over specs,” Pei said.

reKon

Banned
I'll consider getting a One Plus One phone if they deliver on the size, specs, and price. It would need to be at least $100 cheaper than the Xperia Z3 Compact with at least 32GB storage.

OnePlus working on 2 different phones, one possibly premium designed (with worse specs or something? lol, don't know what he means, probably just means it will be premium hardware at a more premium price):

Probably a smaller model since alot of people want that. I want 1440p 5.5 screen, snapdragon 810, 3gb ram. Only other improvement I would like is better speaker quality. Everything else is great on the current OPO for me.

The lack of RAM is the Moto G's biggest weakness. If it had 2GB or even 1.5GB it would provide a much better experience. It'd then be a cheaper Nexus 4, basically. The SoC is not blazing fast but it's good enough for most everyday tasks, it's the lack of RAM that just grind things to a halt.

Agreed. These days I feel like you need 2GB minimum for smooth experience, I know coz I have galaxy S3 and thing always crash/freeze when trying to load pages with lots of pics/videos.

Phinor

My Nexus 7 2013 is still at 4.4.4. No Lollipop available through System Updates despite it being available for few months now as far as I know. Is there anything I can do besides sideloading/updating manually?

Hasney

My Nexus 7 2013 is still at 4.4.4. No Lollipop available through System Updates despite it being available for few months now as far as I know. Is there anything I can do besides sideloading/updating manually?

Has it got cellular data on it? Only the WiFi only tablets have Lollipop right now.

Quasar

Forge TV > Nexus Player

Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 805
Quad-Core Krait 450 CPU – 2.5 GHz per core
Adreno™ 420 GPU

2 GB RAM
16 GB storage
Bluetooth 4.1 + HS
Wireless 802.11ac 2X2
Gigabit Ethernet
USB 3.0
HDMI 1.4 output

$99

Kind of amused the best looking (potentially) AndroidTV box is one thats aimed at gaming rather than the TV functions.

Though a bit bummed theres no physical remote with mic. A question I do have with these devices (given their storage limits) can you just plug in some usb storage and install apps on that in a straight forward manner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom